Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What percent of the coin community do you think this forum represents?

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
Just curious as not one of my local coin collector friends or dealers are a member here.

Comments

• Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious as not one of my local coin collector friends or dealers are a member here. >>

Less than 0.0001, if not lower, than the total collectors in the country, I would say.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A small fraction of one percent.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANA membership is 30,000. Mint sales are?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    1% if even that. I've heard of 1%er biker gangs, they're the mean nasty rogue ones, so I guess that makes the collectors here hardcore 1%er coin collectors.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first international convention for coin collectors was held August 15–18, 1962, in Detroit, Michigan, and was sponsored by the American Numismatic Association and the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association. Attendance was estimated at 40,000.

I saw this on Wikipedia. I did not know this.................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1% if even that. I've heard of 1%er biker gangs, they're the mean nasty rogue ones, so I guess that makes the collectors here hardcore 1%er coin collectors. >>

Mean, nasty, rogue coin collectors. Now there is an oxymoron if I ever heard of one.

What are they going to do, spill their cheap catered slop on unsuspecting customers at the next show? image
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1% if even that. I've heard of 1%er biker gangs, they're the mean nasty rogue ones, so I guess that makes the collectors here hardcore 1%er coin collectors. >>

HA! Well said and I agree
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    We are the Lunatic Fringe.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .125%

Did I win?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many are there of us any way with the lurkers and the Alt's who really knows.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    There might not be that many of us posting on Cu, but I do believe we CU posters do represent the masses of coin collectors that actually think logically.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    How many are there of us any way with the lurkers and the Alt's who really knows

I thought ALT's were not allowed here? image

I found it kind of cool that when i started utilizing the BST Forum late this Summer that I actually did 4 face to face deals in the first 2 months of doing so. Maybe there's more than we think? Maybe...your neighbor is watching you type your next post to this thread and waiting to reply to what you cant say to him face to face? NAHHHHHHHHH!

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    While not a large % of collectors, we probably represent an excellent

cross section of all strata of coin collectors.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I agree with the jelly donut eater.
  • Options
    In round numbers, I'd estimate 250,000 active coin collectors (spend more than $250 a year on non-bullion coins and supplies and/or more than 2 hours a month on the hobby), and about 2,000 active forum members, so my guess is 0.8%. That said, in terms of buying power, this forum skews towards the deep pockets, high quality collectors, so maybe 5% to 10% of the buying power.

As evidence of the high end nature of the forum, there are some members that "lose track" of $750+ value coins, and others that think that a full date and mintmark Morgan dollar set is "easily affordable." Most of the collecting masses would consider those kinds of coins or sets to represent the high end. Many collectors could not imagine spending that much on one coin (again I'm separating out bullion folks from numismatic collectors), or contemplate completing a full Morgan set, much less call such a set "easily affordable."

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << What percent of the coin community do you think this forum represents? >>

Less than 0.01% of the coin community if it includes everyone casually collecting state quarters from circulation.

Possibly 5% or more of hardcore fans of Platinum Eagles, First Spouse gold, fractional Buffaloes, the ever-popular 2008-W reverse of 2007 Silver Eagles, and the upcoming invasion of the Giant Silver Quarters! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << As evidence of the high end nature of the forum, there are some members that "lose track" of $750+ value coins, and others that think that a full date and mintmark Morgan dollar set is "easily affordable." >>

A full date and mintmark Morgan dollar set *is* easily affordable.

It only gets pricey when high-end collectors attempt to combine all the dates with all the mintmarks. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    and not a representative sample either. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i><< As evidence of the high end nature of the forum, there are some members that "lose track" of $750+ value coins, and others that think that a full date and mintmark Morgan dollar set is "easily affordable." >>

A full date and mintmark Morgan dollar set *is* easily affordable.

It only gets pricey when high-end collectors attempt to combine all the dates with all the mintmarks. image >>

I rest my case (about the high end nature of the forum). A good many folks on the forum, think nothing of spending $10k or even $100k or even seven figures on up for a single coin set. To the average collector with an average American income, that kind of set, is more likely to be on their lottery win wish list than a realistic goal. That's why I'd say that the forum might represent less than 1% of active coin collectors, but maybe as much as 10% of all the buying power in terms of dollars. Think about the implications of the possibility that 10% of the total U. S. collector market in terms of dollars reads or posts here.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I've heard that the coin market trades $2B-$4B per year. Heritage alone does the better part of $1B.

So figuring 4,000,000,000 (10%) / 25,000 registered forum members over the past 9 yrs = $16,000 per member. Seems high to me.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In round numbers, I'd estimate 250,000 active coin collectors (spend more than $250 a year on non-bullion coins and supplies and/or more than 2 hours a month on the hobby), and about 2,000 active forum members, so my guess is 0.8%. That said, in terms of buying power, this forum skews towards the deep pockets, high quality collectors, so maybe 5% to 10% of the buying power. >>

Your figures seem high by a factor of 10. But I otherwise agree with you.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, not a lot.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I gots me deep pockets. But when I puts my hands in em

all I get is lint.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    "What percent of the coin community do you think this forum represents?"

Enough to nearly corner the market on 2008 Rev 07 SAE's and enough to generate interest, at least for a bit, in Type B Reverse Washingtons!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    all of the Lincoln extra finger collectors
  • Options

<< <i>I thought I've heard that the coin market trades $2B-$4B per year. Heritage alone does the better part of $1B.

So figuring 4,000,000,000 (10%) / 25,000 registered forum members over the past 9 yrs = $16,000 per member. Seems high to me.

roadrunner >>

For every poster there are usually 10 lurkers. Then again, many registered accounts are now inactive. So the math is a bit different then stated. Still, every whale (and there are several active on the forum, and several more that likely read and don't post) that does $1 to $10 million a year pushes up the forum average quite a bit.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The small percentage of collectors who both stayed with the hobby for years, and excelled in high school typing class.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly less than one percent. I have talked to many, many dealers and collectors who are totally unaware this forum exists. Add to that the collectors who do not have (or do not even use) a computer - and yes, there are many) and one begins to realize this is NOT the center of the coin collecting universe. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>The small percentage of collectors who both stayed with the hobby for years, and excelled in high school typing class. >>

Les thn onee precentimage
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100%. We are it.
  • Options
    The VAST majority of folks I meet on the bourse, in shops or at coin club meetings... never heard of this forum... and when told usually get a glazed eyes look... no interest at all...

On the same token... most of these folks never heard of QDB or JA... and again... when told... glazed eyes ... no interest...

With most of the ___ coins I have sold (thanks for that poof proof idea, RYK image ) ... the buyers wanted to know what that green thing was... when told... again, glazed eyes... and then they wanted to know if it can be taken off the holder without damaging the plastic image

Then again, most folks here would be shocked at the number of customers I have who dislike plastic, resent plastic and ask me to crack out coins they have purchased... and NOT so they can resubmit...

To be honest... I am grateful that the folks on this forum do not represent the majority of the collecting community... first off... because if 1000's of people suddenly swooped onto this forum, it would get waaaaayyyyy toooooo chaotic... and worse, the (sometimes shakey) integrity of the BST would likely be lost entirely...

Another reason? ... at least 90% of the coins in today's marketplace would need to be sent to the smelter for lack of interest...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have talked to many, many dealers and collectors who are totally unaware this forum exists >>

I second Ricko's comment. About the only recognition was from one dealer I do biz with, asked me where I do the majority of my sales. I said the PCGS collector's forum. He said 'whoa, that's a tough bunch there!'

<< <i>For every poster there are usually 10 lurkers. Then again, many registered accounts are now inactive >>

I'm not sure how many lurkers there are, but there must be a lot of inactive accounts. When I joined back in 07, it took me quite a while to come up with a permissable name with Walker or Walking Liberty in it, as many variations were already in existance - but apparently no longer being used.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>Certainly less than one percent. I have talked to many, many dealers and collectors who are totally unaware this forum exists. Add to that the collectors who do not have (or do not even use) a computer - and yes, there are many) and one begins to realize this is NOT the center of the coin collecting universe. Cheers, RickO >>

Heresay!image
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The VAST majority of folks I meet on the bourse, in shops or at coin club meetings... never heard of this forum... and when told usually get a glazed eyes look... no interest at all...

On the same token... most of these folks never heard of QDB or JA... and again... when told... glazed eyes ... no interest...

With most of the ___ coins I have sold (thanks for that poof proof idea, RYK image ) ... the buyers wanted to know what that green thing was... when told... again, glazed eyes... and then they wanted to know if it can be taken off the holder without damaging the plastic image

Then again, most folks here would be shocked at the number of customers I have who dislike plastic, resent plastic and ask me to crack out coins they have purchased... and NOT so they can resubmit...

To be honest... I am grateful that the folks on this forum do not represent the majority of the collecting community... first off... because if 1000's of people suddenly swooped onto this forum, it would get waaaaayyyyy toooooo chaotic... and worse, the (sometimes shakey) integrity of the BST would likely be lost entirely...

Another reason? ... at least 90% of the coins in today's marketplace would need to be sent to the smelter for lack of interest... >>

imageimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    According to my calculations it is 0.001% for the United States, ignoring for this purpose all those who reside elsewhere, and not counting all the lurkers and the banished, whether or not justice was served when they were banned.

The "coin community" was undefined by the original poster, so I take it to include the entire range of persons from the hedge-fund operators and banking executives who give themselves secret under-the-table billion-dollar bonuses and conceal their wealth in the form of rare gold bullion coins in vaults in the Cayman Islands, all the way to those who have a penny jar on top of their dresser drawers, or who retain a single family-heirloom indian-head cent from grandpa, or who don't spend their first and only Kennedy half-dollar but stash it for safe-keeping inside their car ash tray after they quit smoking. There is an unbroken continuum between these types of coin people and the organized numismatists who carefully study coin details, making systematic collections and scholarly observations.

I'll exclude from the coin community those who mindlessly use coins exclusively as incidentals of commerce, often not bothering to count their change, sometimes even just dropping their one-cent pieces on the ground in the supermarket parking lot.

The total members of the coin community is thus about 200 million, divided by the registered members of this PCGS forum said to be 2000 = 0.00001 = 0.001%.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file