Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best Deal you ever got????

Just a conversation piece....

Whats the best deal you ever got or gave away...

Not been collecting for to long but here are my two:

16X20 Robinson Cano signed photo with Cano hologram $35 when he was a rookie (public signing)

Derek Jeter Signed replica stiched home jersey that later passed JSA signed on back in Silver paint pen $75.00 (Garage sale if you could belive that).

Dont really have anything to sell/give yet.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys that have been in for a while.....
wsohl

Comments

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Just sold two modern rookies for $7,000 that I purchased for $600 a couple months back. That's a deal on the selling end of things.

A year or so ago, a '99 Bowman Chrome International refractor of Ken Griffey Jr was listed as a $40 BIN. I purchased it, got it slabbed, sold it for $400. A couple years before that, I purchased an '06 Finest Gold Xfractor of Griffey for $175, got it slabbed and sold it for $1200
  • Options
    Wow,,

Nice job on the 7K flip.

wsohl
  • Options
    Picked up a bunch of 90's junk (Bunch= about 800,000 cards) for 200$, by a miracle I had someone pick them up the next week for 1000

Edit because I can't spell
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭
    Purchased a few packs of 1981 Donruss Golf for a couple bucks apiece. Picked out the better ones and sent them to PSA. Ended up getting the second Raymond Floyd PSA 10. I think value was $180 at the time. I listed it with a starting bid of $180 and was surprised to get a bid within the first day along with some offers to buy it off of ebay. I let it ride and it was up to $250 or so with 24 hours left. A few hours to go and it went into the $300's. I was stoked. In the last few minutes, it hit into the $500's and I couldn't believe it. As the seconds wound down, I kept hitting the refresh button. I believe that $568 was the last amount I saw until the auction was over. When I hit refresh again, I couldn't believe my eyes. It had been bid up to $1,025. I was estatic. All this for a $2 card that I pulled from a $2 pack.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    most recently, I ended up going to a card show and found a guy who had a huge run of auto'd 1952 topps. Since I had some he only had a few of, and others he took in trade I ended up with about 30 1952 topps autographs I needed for less than 10 bucks each. Also, made a great friend. Sure there have been monetarily better ones, but this was my most recent best deal
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I bought 40% ofa raw 66 set for about $500 20 years ago. Palmer was a 9, as were several high numbers. Rose was 8.5. Mantle was only a 7. There were a ton of 8s, including-Ford and Maris. I once bought a shoebox for $75 that had 4 Ryan rookies and a 68 Mantle. The Mantle is an 8, but my Ryan is only a 5. I kept the one with a microcrease (unknown to me) and sold the other 3 years ago.
  • Options
    Still waiting... but I bought a raw '63 Topps Jim Coates about 3 years ago for $4 that graded a PSA 9. It was a 1 of 6 at the time and I sold it for $338 on eBay about a month later.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I was at a tag sale a few years ago and this lady had a box of baseball cards for $4.00. I looked inside and noticed they were from the 50's and 60's. I almosrt passed when she came up to me to try and convince me to buy them. I did buy them that day and pulled:
    about 1,000 commons from 1958-1969
    The complete 1959 Fleer Ted Wiliams set
    About 85% complete 1964 Topps coins all in almost mint condition with no rust on them
    2- 1963 Topps Pete Rose rookies
    1960 Mantle and 1959 topps all star mickey mantle
    1969 Topps Nolan Ryan
    and numerous star cards like Bob Gibson, Roger Maris, yogi Berra...

It was a good day.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    I went from Geico paying $185 per month to Progressive paying $100 per month.
  • Options
    Great..........

LOL

wsohl
  • Options
    goyegoye Posts: 454 ✭✭
    without question..............my wife
    1985-86 O Pee Chee PSA 910 Hockey
  • Options

<< <i>without question..............my wife >>

Me Too......Oh and by the way, Honey come over here and let me show you what is on this Chat board! Oh did I really...Yep that was me, I know I am so sweet......................!!!!

Brownoser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

Actually,

About 5 years ago saw this guy list 5 full sets of 1966 Batman Black Bat on E-bay and then a bunch of lots like 47 different, then 36 different, the 32 different...ect.

Light bulb goes off...490+ cards...VENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I call the guy off his E-bay page, its a Pawn shop in New York City, says some kid walked into his store with a 500 count Topps Vending Box with Batman stamped on it. Sealed, he opened it!

So I told the wife I was going to invest a little money and win most of this. I let 3-4 guys bid it out for the first set, goes for $300+ I then get serious and win about 380 of the rest of the cards, spent right at $1000.00.
    Over the next few weeks I invested another $900 in PSA, subbed about 275 of the cards.
    I kept a log of what I sold over the next year, I sold:

82 MINT 9's for $10,875
    155 NM-MT 8's $7,300
    5 NM-MT 8 #1's $900.00
    Misc. Raw. & NM 7's #1's others $700.00
    #1 registered set with one of only 4 GEM MINT 10's (At the time) $16, 777.00

Total invested with shipping everything $2K

Sold total: $36,552

Not Bad !!! YeeFrickin'Hahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    In past years...
    Paid $160 for 4 Ullman Postcards, sold them individually for over $3500 total
    paid $75 for 50 1911 Zeenuts with Weaver (non-eBay), sold them years ago before they jumped and still made 15X more than I paid
    Paid $150 for the only known Holland Ice Cream #16, sold it for $3000
    Paid $20 BIN on a R316 (rare "Made in USA" variation) Babe Ruth, sold it for about $350
    Paid $150 for a victorian tradecard scrapbook with 4 Scrapps Diecuts in it (2 Brouthers), removed them and resold the scrapbook for roughly the same $$ I originally paid for it, then sold the 4 Scrapps for $1500 total
    Paid $100 for the only known 1933 Blue Bird Babe Ruth (side view), sold it later for about $2500
    Paid $400 for a scrapbook with over 75 R316s glued in (with Ruth etc.), removed them and am still selling them off but will easily make 5X more than I paid

this year I won a D316 Stockton Ports card for $1 (+$2 shipping) sold it within a week for $175
    last week I won a 1940 Diamond Dust Hartnett for 99 cents, have sold them in the past for $40+
    today I won a 1939 Sporting New Premium of Bob Feller (autographed) for $8.49, books for $150 unsigned

these are just a few of the hundreds of good deals, but they are not as easy as they were ca.2000
  • Options
    MAN you guys got me beat!! Nonetheless my best deal was about 15 years ago; went to a Flea Market, guy has binders & binders of sports cards, mostly newer crap (which even then I didn't care about). Finally I found a binder with some nice cards from the late '70s, all in very nice shape. I'm flipping thru and I see the '78 Munson and I pointed to the card and said, "How much is this?" and the guy said "Fifteen dollars". I thought that's pretty frickin' high for a '78 Munson and I guess my face showed it. He quickly said, "All the cards come with it." I realized he was talking about the entire binder...for fifteen dollars! Needless to say I bought it, found numerous awesome cards including '78 Molitor/Trammell, '78 Ryan, '79 Gordie Howe, '79 Walter Payton just to name a few. All in fantastic shape, all for $15! image
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    I used to be a heavy coin collector , via PCGS. Someone had a Proof Cameo nickel that normally sold for around $750 . They had just but it on ebay for a BIN price of $75. It was on less than a minute before I pounded the BIN button and less than a minute later I paid for it.

I was shocked that the guy actually sent it . --- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Right after 2008 Heritage High Number came out, I went to a show to find chromes to complete the set 201-300. I picked up, among others, a Jerry Hairston #285 for sixty cents. It wasn't until a few days later that I saw the sets being offered on eBay saying that card 285 didn't exist. The few #285 cards that I later saw up for auction went for over $200 each.
  • Options
    I'll go with the best deal I ever gave....

The '86 Fleer baskeball came out about the same time I started focusing on the sport more. My folks used to take me to Detroit for Tiger games and right down the street was a great memorabilia store that sold baseball cards. For some reason, I decided that summer that I was going to start collecting basketball cards instead of baseball, so I bought a ton of '86 Fleer basketball. I think at the time, my parents would give me a ten spot and I'd go buy probably most of a box.

Since I had no idea who most of the players were I would end up going home and putting the cards straight in a storage box. When the fall arrived, and football season started, I brought a 3200ct box loaded with '86 Fleer into the local card store to trade for some ('87 if I remember correctly) football wax. I remember getting about $200 in "trade" and I thought I robbed the guy blind.

The only positive of the story is that I managed to pull 1 complete set of the '86 before donating the rest.
  • Options
    Not card related, but the month following the news that Winchester was closing down their plant I purchased a clearance 9410 at Bass Pro for $379, which I sold within 3 days for $1479 on gubroker. I scoured a four state area over the next several days buying up any Winchester I could find, cleared about $8,000 profit by the end of that month.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll go with the best deal I ever gave....

The '86 Fleer baskeball came out about the same time I started focusing on the sport more. My folks used to take me to Detroit for Tiger games and right down the street was a great memorabilia store that sold baseball cards. For some reason, I decided that summer that I was going to start collecting basketball cards instead of baseball, so I bought a ton of '86 Fleer basketball. I think at the time, my parents would give me a ten spot and I'd go buy probably most of a box.

Since I had no idea who most of the players were I would end up going home and putting the cards straight in a storage box. When the fall arrived, and football season started, I brought a 3200ct box loaded with '86 Fleer into the local card store to trade for some ('87 if I remember correctly) football wax. I remember getting about $200 in "trade" and I thought I robbed the guy blind.

The only positive of the story is that I managed to pull 1 complete set of the '86 before donating the rest. >>

Im sorry to call BS, but werent 1986 Fleer BKB boxes selling for as low as $10 each in 1987? Dealers couldnt give the stuff away. A 3200ct box represents about 6 boxes worth. I find it odd that any dealer would give $200 in trade on something most dealers couldnt sell for $60.
  • Options
    Not on a large scale but i got a 1993 Jeter SP rookie for $5 off ebay, the sell had it listed as 1994

bought 15 boxes of 1990 opc hockey for $35, busted 3 sold the rest for $167

I was looking for 1991 Bowman baseball boxes to bust and came across a seller who had 2 cello boxes, 2 90 topps cello boxes, which i also needed, 1989 fleer factory set, the skydome stadium club set, and a lot of about 500 cards. Got it for about 20 bucks and paid 35 shipping to get into Canada. The 89 fleer set was the glossy varity sold for $90, the stadium set was The Jack Murphy set with the Jeter!! which i saved, and the lot had about 30 jersey cards from the Mets, that i sold in the 2-3 dollar range.

For comic book fans Daredevil 180 & 181 for $3.50 and a run of sweet mint Batman 401-517 for $45

Makes up a bit for all i spent on the rest of the junk i bought
    Why do superheros only hang out in New York or L.A.? Why not Bangor??
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Modern cards - Steve Blake Finest Gold Xfractor rookie 1/1 in a dealer's dime box.

Vintage cards - PSA 6 Fergie Jenkins rookie for about $14 on ebay (including shipping). After receiving it, I realized it was a Topps Venezuelan that had not been properly labeled (I'm sure the original submitter didn't realize it). They have since corrected it. It's a pop 2, with none graded higher by PSA (BMW has a SGC 86 that he's asking thousands for).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im sorry to call BS, but werent 1986 Fleer BKB boxes selling for as low as $10 each in 1987? Dealers couldnt give the stuff away. A 3200ct box represents about 6 boxes worth. I find it odd that any dealer would give $200 in trade on something most dealers couldnt sell for $60. >>

Maybe he drove up in his Vette, showed him his pay stub and told him how much bullion he was holding...
  • Options
    I bought a 1950 Callahan Napoleon Lajoie for $3 raw. Sent it in to PSA and it came back a PSA 9, and I sold it for $650. Also, purchased a 1935 Chicle in a SGC case for $1600, then crossed it over to PSA, and it came back a PSA 8. The last one sold for $3400. Lastly, I purchased a 1961 Golden Press Tris Speaker for $150 in PSA 9, I sent it in for review, it came back PSA 10 pop 1 of 2. I have been offered $1400 for it. All said, I have had far more disasters, but these take a little sting out of the bad purchases.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    I bought a PSA 9 1974 Topps Carlton Fisk for about $120 on eBay. Got it and realized that it was undergraded. It was a Pop 0 in PSA 10 at the time so I sent it in for a review. It came back a 10 and I sold it for $1200 plus another PSA 9 from the registry guy. I was quite happy.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Im sorry to call BS, but werent 1986 Fleer BKB boxes selling for as low as $10 each in 1987? Dealers couldnt give the stuff away. A 3200ct box represents about 6 boxes worth. I find it odd that any dealer would give $200 in trade on something most dealers couldnt sell for $60. >>

You could be right. I can't really remember the specifics and it's quite possible that I kept them a year or two longer than I'm thinking. I just remember trading them for a bunch of Topps football wax, and I remember getting $200 in trade.

I was a teenager and probably focused more on tail than my cards at the time, cut me some slack. image
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought half the 65-66 Topps Hockey set BIN for $150 on ebay. Only subbed one card, the Bruins Team, came back an 8. I'm sitting on all the teams, Howe, Howe SP, both CL's, etc. which are all as nice as the Bruins Team. Will sub them in a few years when I get back into grading.

Also bought a lot of 66 BB for $100 where the Seller described taking out all the listed stars, so I was happy to see that there was a complete run of high numbers with all SP's except for those listed in a Tuff Stuff.

69-70 Topps Hockey Set for $150 BIN. Nicest vintage set I've ever seen for any sport. Every card except for the Gump Worsley will grade 8 easy.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Back in 84, my dad gave me a Fleer baseball update set for Christmas. I hated that present as I couldn't open it and I just wanted wax to open. Needless to say, when Clemens signed with Yankees I decided to open the box and sent the Clemens in for grading. It came back a PSA 10 and I sold it for 1350. I decided I really liked that Christmas present after all.
  • Options
    cool thread image

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Worst deal I ever made is trading a 1935 autographed Detroit Tiger Ball.I will not tell anyone what i recieved back for it however at the time I thought I was getting the best of the deal.OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭
    My 1995 Score Platinum complete set for only $60ish and I also managed to score for $180 the complete set of 1993 Finest jumbos plus the three card promo cards. Now if only getting the whole set of 1994 Finest jumbos was that easy...
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>
    I was a teenager and probably focused more on tail than my cards at the time, cut me some slack. image >>

Now see??? This is what is killing the hobby!!! image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I was a teenager and probably focused more on tail than my cards at the time, cut me some slack. image >>

Now see??? This is what is killing the hobby!!! image >>

I've always though the greatest invention would be to some how fuse a strip club and a card shop together. The dancers wear clothing made of wax packs and as they take it off they throw it in the crowd. You could stuff commons in their g-strings instead of dollar bills 'cause, well, you're spending your dollars.
  • Options
    Cool thread! I have had numerous good and bad deals through the years. Some of my better ones include:
    1956 and 1961 Complete Topps Baseball Sets for $100.00 each on a garage sale. I sold the 1961 set and still have the 1956 set.

1915 PM1 pin of Eppa Rixey for $1.00 at a garage sale. Sold it for either $550.00 or $600.00.

Two boxes full of old programs and magazines from the 1930's and 1940's. I paid $60.00 for both boxes and sold some of the stuff for over $7000.00. There were 10 or 12 PCL football programs from the 30's that went for $300.00 to $400.00 each.

1952 Red Man Tobacco Complete Set with Tabs for $900.00 in an Antique Shop. I sold this one a couple of days later to 707 for something like $2700.00 but I sure wish I had this one back.

Purchased 1 20 set case and 1 10 set case of the 1997/98 Grand Slam card sets with Tiger Woods in it. I bought them for $180.00 in total and sold them for $9000.00. This is both good and bad in that I was happy to make that but I had the chance to buy a few thousand of the sets for that price and didn't pull the trigger.

I have purchased numerous 4/13/62 Life Mags with the Mantle and Maris cards in it for under $1.00. I found out about this issue 35 years ago or so and would always look for it. At one time I had over 40 of this issue but when PSA started grading them I sold the majority of them.

Always looking to buy old Minnesota Twins and Vikings memorabilia like Nodders, Photo Pennants, and Photo Buttons.
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Two things come to mind:

1. A large lot of autographs posted with a starting bid of $300 on eBay with no picture and a list that included Jackie Robinson, Roger Maris, Bartlett Giamatti, Wilt Chamberlain, and a bunch of commons. I made custom cards of the Maris and Robinson and had them slabbed at PSA/DNA for $75 each in the blue flips (this was before any $10 special came about). The Robinson sold on eBay for like $650, the Giamatti item sold for $100+, Chamberlain $30 or so (my mistake, low buy-it-now), and I still have the Maris.

2. Antique shop box of 1967 Topps commons & semi-stars for $1-$2 each - I found a Dick Williams card that looked great and sent it to PSA and it came back a 9 (Pop 3 or 4 or something like that). The card sold for $400 or so a few years ago...

------- OH, and best investment!

The night Tony Romo took over for an injured Bledsoe, I purchased his two best rookie cards for $50 each (SP Authentic & Contenders). The cards graded PSA 8 and PSA 10 - I held on to them for years and cringed when I didn't sell them when Romo dropped the snap, then when they went up again and lost in the first round of the playoffs the next year. I sold them at the beginning of the following season in which everyone was picking them as one of the Super Bowl favorites (they actually didn't even make the playoffs that year!) - $500 for PSA 8 SP Authentic - and $800 for PSA 10 Contenders.

UNFORTUNATELY, I am still far behind from all the money I spent on my Ryan Leaf collection - which has to be the best in the world at this point. Anyone want to buy it for $100? There's probably enough cards at 10 cents each to make it worth that....
  • Options
    Like all of us I have stories on either end of the spectrum. Back in 1977 I traded a large tin filled withall my 1976 Football cards (probably about 2500 or so with at least 4-5 Payton RC's) for a very very beat up (maybe Fair if that) 1969 Topps Norm Snead card. It was the oldest card anyone in our neighborhood had seen and I had to have it! Still do to this day!

On the positive side I bought a box of about 500 vintage cards from an antique store for about $30 back in 1981. Not the greatest shape but quite a few Jim Browns and other stars. There were about 40 1961 Topps Baseball high numbers included and since I didn't collect much BB at that point I traded them to a dealer at a show...one card for one 1981 Topps FB Wax Box. I remember he had them for $4 each. I got about a case worth until he ran out and got 1980 FB wax boxes for the remainder. I had about 15 Montana RC's out of that one but as fate would have it lost those in an apartment robbery about 8 years later.

One other one was from an estate sale find which I never go to but was tipped off about it that there would be tons of cards there. Picked up a 1800 box of 93SP BB for $20 which had 6 Jeter RC's but the best was a shoebox for $10 and a smaller card box for $2. In the shoebox were super clean FB cards from the 60's as well as a bunch of inserts like Topps BB decals (3 Mantles), etc.. I ended up grading about 300 of them and even though I still think I got the grader from death I scored mostly 8's and a few 9's. Sold off alot of those for nice profits. The smaller $2 box had mostly stars from 60's FB including a few Namaths that graded 8 and 8.5.
  • Options
    Glad you guys liked the post. I am having a great time reading all your bargains !

Keep em coming.....

The latest one I got was as Jeter Siginutures Rookie card that was signed in Spring Training for 60. Later passed JSA. Not bad I guess. Nothing like you guys with the thousands of dollars earned.

Great Stuff.

wsohl
  • Options
    My story would start when I first started dealing with baseball cards about 20 years ago. I had a friend whose dad had a box of cards in his garage. Pretty large box, at least 5,000 total cards. I asked his dad what he was going to do with the cards and he said he didn't want them and that I could have them. I went through the box when I got home and found tons of cards from the '70's in there. Back then didn't really have any clue about older cards. But there was a Schmidt rc, 2nd year Jabbar and I'm sure tons of other cards but can't remember. Anyways took it to a mall show with my brother and sold the entire box for like $700. Took that money and bought a Nolan Ryan rc and Montana rc and I was hooked ever since.

Best profit ever was I pulled a Jordan Autograph from 1999 spx with his jersey and shoe on it #'d to 23 and sold it two days later for 7K

Since then have bought tons of collections and found great stuff, even bought a 1991 Topps Desert Shield entire set for like $600, graded the stars and did very well.
  • Options
    CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    The good deals seem to be greatly outnumbered by the bad in my memory bank.
    I think we all regret the ones that got away more than we appreciate the ones we catch.

That being said I did have one amazing deal that beats them all for me.

I was at college in 1982 and selling gold coins on the side to make some cash and pay for school. I had collected coins since I was about 6 and had a
    nice collection of U.S. Type coins. I had a collector that wanted to buy 11 MS-60 Half Eagles from me for just under $9,000. He said he didn't have
    the cash but would I be willing to trade the coins forunopened sports cards. We went back and forth after I did some research and I decided to trade
    the coins for $10500 in trade value.

I ended up with wax and vending boxes of 1970-1977 Topps basketball.
    Now in 1982 Basketball was definately the ugly stepchild of card collecting. The boxes sold back then for next to nothing so I loaded up.

I opened a bunch to make sets and sold some and traded others for coins and cards I needed.

I worked a card show in Tysons Corner, Va. (My first show ever) and made $8,000 in one day selling mint sets and singles.
    I was selling mint 1970 sets for around $500.
    The show sales were about 5% of my cards. I bought my fiance' (now wife) an engagement ring with the money.

Over the years I have sold almost all of the cards off. I still have some 72 wax boxes left ( love Doctor J ) and vending boxes from each year.
    I saved 4 of each year for the members of my family to have as an investment for the future.

Not counting what I have left that $10,500 in trade ended up making me about $250,000 over the years.
    Definately think the Lord was looking out for me that day.

Now if I only had made another deal a few years later with the same guy for some fleer sets he had ...

Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I found a babe ruth card once in a dumpster
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I found a babe ruth card once in a dumpster >>

That was an awesome thread!!
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    This was the only time I purchased cards solely to flip for profit.

When all was said and done I profited a little over $2,000.00

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Nothing huge, but quite a few small victories:

1. Bought 20+ 1989 French Bray Orioles Team Set for about 2.25 each. Busted about half, submitted
    6 Ripkens for grading and received 2 PSA 10s. The 10s went for 32.00 and 33.00 on ebay. I'll sell
    the remaining sets. Overall, nice transaction.

2. Purchased 1997 Topps Gallery Peter Max Derek Jeter printer's photo slide. Unreal for 20.00
    as a BIN on ebay. This unique item will go for $$$ next May/June as Jeter chases for hit 3000.
    I am not giving this item way...too rare.

3. Purchased Michael Jackson's rookie card for 4.00 at the Chantilly Show. Got it graded (PSA 8) and
    sold it for $80.00.

I'll mention one real bad. My investment in 'Juan Gonzalez' 1991 Fleer Ultra card years go. I bought like
    40 of them between $20-25 each. That's about 1K down the drain ! You live and learn.

Happy Holidaysimage
  • Options
    In the spring of 2009 I bought a collection of vintage cards from a local guy who ran a flea market store for many years. In this collection was:

450+ 1952 Topps Baseball
    250+ 1953 Topps Baseball
    400+ 1954 Topps Baseball
    2 complete sets of 1960 and 1961 Topps Baseball
    and approx 200+ cards from misc years of all the major Baseball HOF's from 1953 to 1969

I paid $6,000.00 for the collection and have sold off all the duplicates for over $15,000.00.

Matt
  • Options

<< <i>The good deals seem to be greatly outnumbered by the bad in my memory bank.
    I think we all regret the ones that got away more than we appreciate the ones we catch.

That being said I did have one amazing deal that beats them all for me.

I was at college in 1982 and selling gold coins on the side to make some cash and pay for school. I had collected coins since I was about 6 and had a
    nice collection of U.S. Type coins. I had a collector that wanted to buy 11 MS-60 Half Eagles from me for just under $9,000. He said he didn't have
    the cash but would I be willing to trade the coins forunopened sports cards. We went back and forth after I did some research and I decided to trade
    the coins for $10500 in trade value.

I ended up with wax and vending boxes of 1970-1977 Topps basketball.
    Now in 1982 Basketball was definately the ugly stepchild of card collecting. The boxes sold back then for next to nothing so I loaded up.

I opened a bunch to make sets and sold some and traded others for coins and cards I needed.

I worked a card show in Tysons Corner, Va. (My first show ever) and made $8,000 in one day selling mint sets and singles.
    I was selling mint 1970 sets for around $500.
    The show sales were about 5% of my cards. I bought my fiance' (now wife) an engagement ring with the money.

Over the years I have sold almost all of the cards off. I still have some 72 wax boxes left ( love Doctor J ) and vending boxes from each year.
    I saved 4 of each year for the members of my family to have as an investment for the future.

Not counting what I have left that $10,500 in trade ended up making me about $250,000 over the years.
    Definately think the Lord was looking out for me that day.

Now if I only had made another deal a few years later with the same guy for some fleer sets he had ... >>

Gotta love this one... keep 'em coming.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I bought my fiance' (now wife) an engagement ring with the money. >>

With the sale of the Gretzky cards above I bought my girlfriend a diamond emerald pendant for Christmas last year.

Sometimes it is the best way to get them to understand, and accept, all of the cards and memorabilia hanging around image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a few good ones over the years - this is a pretty good one - I paid either 550 or 650 for this card in 1994 - auction at the National hosted by Greg Manning.

Happy Holidays.
    Mike
  • Options
    One of my better sport purchases was some files from the Weeb Ewbank estate including his speech file and his application file. Paid around $600...I still make a sale here or there from those files. One letter from the application file, from Joe Paterno, sold for over $1500 I had a $500 BIN on it, but luckly it got a bid. Found a couple championship congrads speeches in the speech file.

Last month....bought 52 1999 Topps Flats, including a bunch of the variations for $0.99 plus $10 shipping. Sold one of the Emmitt and one of the Flutie variations for about $20 within a couple hours of listing.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    a day trip to Super Bowl 31. game ticket, airfare, ground transport and tailgate party for $1600. all on a 0% loan from my cousin who i went with. it took me about 2-3 years to pay off while in grad school but its been the best money i have spent.

still have my ticket stub with Reggie White's auto on it.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Totally OT but 3 years ago I was a winner of a trip to the Marlboro Ranch in Montana for 4 day - 3 night vacation with all expenses paid including $1250 cash to cover the taxes. It was in March but was fairly warm with no snow on the ground (only on the mountains). Got to do some skeet shooting, ride a horse and take a tour of Yellowstone National. It was a great experience.

If you don't count the side effects of smoking this was by far the best deal I have gotten.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    nothing too exciting.. but i bought a raw SI for kids usain bolt card for about 5bucks. Got it slabbed and it came back a 10. I sold it on ebay for 150. i also picked up an andre the giant 82 card for 20 bucks. sent it to psa and it got a 7. 7s sell for about 250 on ebay.. I've also passed up on 86 fleer basketball boxes for about 10 bucks back in the late 80s. i had zero interest in anything that didn't have bo jackson in it.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here