Home Sports Talk
Options

2010-2011 Red Sox Offseason Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>I never viewed Crawford as a 20 million a year player. >>

He might not have been if not for the deal that Werth got.

We do have an extra outfielder now though so . . . what are the chances that Ellsbury gets dealt for bullpen help?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Ellsbury CF
    Pedroia 2B
    Crawford LF
    Youkilis 3B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Ortiz DH
    Drew RF
    Catcher (Varitek, Saltalamacchia, or Free Agent yet to be signed)
    Scutaro SS

The lineup is heavy on left handed hitters. Usually Francona likes to mix up the lineup so that he never has the same side of the plate coming up in consecutive batters (i.e. he uses left-right-left-right as much as feasible). Obviously, he will have to make some adjustments. Drew will likely infrequently play against lefty pitchers...Mike Cameron will play RF on those days.

Of course, the Sox may not be done this offseason. >>

I'm not sure I want Crawford 3rd, and Gonzalez 5th? Ellsbury is too unreliable for me to get excited about, I'd drop him in the order (maybe way down) and have Youk 3rd with Gonzalez cleanup. Also, I still think they are trying to get Russell Martin from the Dodgers for behind the plate. That would be perfect.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it will be a pleasant problem for Francona, for sure. Advantages and disadvantages can be discussed all day. Anyway, what is really cool is that Gonzalez kills left-handed pitchers. Will more than make up for V-Mart's bat.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    The Sox just paid $20m per season for basically Johnny Damon circa 2005, except with a better arm. If you thought the Drew deal was bad, this deal is going to look ATROCIOUS in 3-4 years, when Crawford slows down a little. He'll basically be putting up JD Drew numbers at that point, except he'll be paid almost 50% more than Drew was.

The deal makes no sense for a number of reasons, never mind the money. You'd think he'd be a leadoff guy with that speed, but has hit in the 2-hole or 3-hole the last 5 years. Not to say he can't move to leadoff, but if he was truly comfortable in that spot, you'd think he'd have been hitting there his whole career. No way he takes the 2nd spot away from Pedroia, when that is where he is clearly his preferred spot in the order. No sense hitting him 6th, where those stolen bases go to waste with the bottom of the lineup hitting behind him.

Also, he's a left fielder in a park where his speed and defensive skills are not needed. Again, not to say he can't move to right next year, but that isn't his natural position. Some of his instincts following the ball off the bat will be lost, and his UZR will take a hit.

So, basically you'll be asking a guy that already will have a ton of pressure on him due to his contract, to excel in positions where he is not comfortable. I can't see this ending well.

Theo's track record with long term, big money deals for free agents is awful. He's done great with trades and developing the farm system, but has been downright pitiful with big free agent signings. I have a feeling this will be the worst of the bunch.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I never viewed Crawford as a 20 million a year player. >>

He might not have been if not for the deal that Werth got.

We do have an extra outfielder now though so . . . what are the chances that Ellsbury gets dealt for bullpen help? >>

Ellsbury better bring more in return than just bullpen help.
  • Options
    <<<Ellsbury better bring more in return than just bullpen help.>>>

I agree.
  • Options
    jdip9, what's wrong with Crawford hitting 3rd in the lineup? I understand that base stealers are typically #1/#2 type hitters but if the Red Sox keep Ellsbury at the leadoff spot and start with him, Pedroia, and Crawford, that looks like a very irritating 1st innning for opposing pitchers.

Also, from what I've read, they don't have any intention (at this point) of making him play RF. The Red Sox are saying that they think his skills are particularly well suited to play LF in Fenway.

7 years is a long time and a lot changes over that period so I don't expect the Crawford deal to be great for the entire length, but I would say the same thing about other guys that have signed, or will sign, long contracts recently (Tulo, Werth, Lee, etc.). I'm not even sure that Gonzalez will be all that good by the time his extended contract runs out. But for the next 4 or 5 years I think the Red Sox are going to have a more solid foundation because of these moves.
  • Options
    Ellsbury has a lifetime .344 OBP which isn't that great for a leadoff hitter. He also appears to be a slow healer. So whether or not he brings back more than bullpen help (which is in high demand) will depend upon which version of Ellsbury is the Ellsbury we'll see going forward. Is he the 2009 version that hit .301 and stole 70 bases or is he going to be the 2010 version that spent most of the year on the DL and hitting .192 when he wasn't? Hopefully he returns to form, but I think he burned some bridges with the management last year and I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt for some young arms.
  • Options
    I'm not saying Ellsbury is great by any stretch. I think the opinion of him around the league is much higher than it is in Boston, that's why I think they can get more than bullpen help for him.

As for Crawford hitting 3rd....the 3-hole is where I want my best hitter, and Crawford is their 4th best hitter. For me, he better adopt to the leadoff spot well, because that's where he has to excel if he's going to earn even 60% of that contract.

Of course the Sox say his skills lend themselves to playing LF, they are trying to convince us this is a great deal. IMO, his speed is being wasted in left field at Fenway, someone with average speed can cover the ground necessary out there (as has been proven by Manny, Rice, etc).
  • Options
    If they do trade Ellsbury, it seems like Crawford could give CF a shot though, right?
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I'm very happy with Crawford and AGon in the fold. It's not my money!
    Now we need some bullpen help
  • Options
    Just picked up Bobby Jenks.

2 yr/ $12 million.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what I think of this signing yet. He's had some success in the past but thanks to fantasy baseball I distinctly remember Jenks having some pretty epic meltdowns in save situations. Maybe not being the team's closer will be a role that suits him better? Maybe?
  • Options
    Jenks, Bard and Paplebon will make for a nice back end of the pen.
  • Options
    Jenks for two years at six million per year...hmmm, Angels paid Downs five million per year for three years, I think LAA made out better. I can't get excited about adding Jenks to the pen.
  • Options
    The Angels also had to give up a first round pick for Downs and the Sox did not lose any picks for Jenks. The Sox also just signed Dan Wheeler.
  • Options
    Wheeler will come in handy for the sixth inning of just about every one of Matsuzaka's starts and every other start for Beckett and Lackey (assuming Francona continues his practice of leaving his starters in for five innings no matter how hard they are getting shelled).

I like the pickup of Wheeler.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Well, interesting. The Red Sox now have closers for the 6th, 7th' 8th, and 9th. Is that not too many for the rest of the league to overcome.

Go RED SOX !!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Well, interesting. The Red Sox now have closers for the 6th, 7th' 8th, and 9th. Is that not too many for the rest of the league to overcome.

Go RED SOX !!!!!!!!! >>

remember what RSN was beaming about when the Sox brought in Eric Gagme? Thought that was a great move until he actually came into a game or two. Relievers (closers especially, except for Mariano Rivera) are so fickle.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

The Red Sox tried to get Riviera too!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The Wheeler pickup was awesome, more so than even getting Jenks. Theo is on a roll.
  • Options
    someone needs to start the 2011 Red Sox season thread.

Expectations are REALLY high this year...lots of talk of 100 wins...I'll be happy with whatever number gets them into the playoffs.