Home Sports Talk
Options

2010-2011 Red Sox Offseason Thread

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
hot stove is starting too early for Sox fans.

Ortiz: exercise the option? resign to multiyear deal at less $ per year? Hasta la vista?
Beltre: multiyear?
Papelbon: anyone want him to stay?

You get the idea.

Comments

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Cut and pasted from the "other" Red Sox thread:

Well, we're finally out of our misery. One of the few saving graces of the season was doing our part to prevent the Yankees from winning the AL East by beating them on the last day of the season.

And now we can look forward to offseason signings and trades. The Red Sox will have plenty of money to play with this year. According to the Globe, they'll have $22 million just from Mike Lowell retiring and no longer needing to make payments for Julio Luso and Billy Wagner. Throw in Beltre and V-Mart leaving and that figure grows to $39 million. If David Ortiz goes to another team, the total would go up to $52 million.

It will be fun to watch how things shake out. I'm sure we've all got ideas of who we'd like to see in Boston next year as well as who we wouldn't like to see in Boston next year (Papelblown).

Personally, I'd like to see Carl Crawford get signed. My #1 target is still Adrian Gonzalez but I don't know the likelihood of that happening. At this point, I'd be content to land a guy like Crawford and just wait until Gonzalez becomes a free agent and see what it takes to sign him then.

I think the bulk of the remodeling is going to take place in the bullpen though. That was clearly the team's most deficient area. It's not that exciting from a fan's standpoint but it is definitely necessary.

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    not a Red Sox fan (or hater) but there was a report here last week that the Sox may have interest in trading for Aramis Ramirez. An obvious one year stopgap. He has a player option for 2011 that he will exercise, but he also has a no trade. Not sure he would waive it, but you never know. Regardless, I'll be surprised if the Red Sox offer a long term deal to Beltre. His two best years have come in walk years, and everything for the Red Sox leads up to either the 2011 trading deadline or next off-season when they'll have a shot at Adrian Gonzalez...whom Epstein reportedly loves. Then Youk moves back to 3B. I could see the Tigers or Angels willing to offer Beltre a longer term deal than the Sox. I suppose it will also depend on if the Sox are going to get involved in the Crawford or J.Werth talks, as well as how much stock Sox brass puts into Lowrie's 171 AB season - .287/.381/.526 is pretty solid. Ortiz will be back for one more year. Closer to a tossup, but I also see Papelbon being retained, if for nothing else, that bullpen is pretty bad, and I think Epstein places a high value on 1st round draft picks which the Sox will receive when Papelbon walks as a Type A FA next year. So even if he is awarded say $10M in arbitration, Theo probably sees it more like $6-7M with the probability that the 1st round pick they will acquire is worth at least $3M. Sounds like DiceK may get shopped as well.
  • Options
    I'd be shocked if Beltre stays in Boston because Boras is his agent and I'm sure he won't settle for anything less than a 4-5 year deal and there's no way he will get that in Boston.

You are probably right about Papelbon sticking around. As bad as he was in 2010, he's still a known commodity and is, perhaps, better than 95% of the free agent relievers they could get to take his spot on the roster.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Around the horn:

Catcher: Re-Sign Victor! 4 years, $52 million.
    1B: Youuuuk!
    2B: Pedey
    SS: Stuck with Bootaro I guess, unless Jed Lousy impresses in spring training, then Bootaro becomes expensive utility infielder.
    3B: Beltre is gone, unless Bor-Ass cannot find a sucker for a 4/5 year deal. The most the Sox will give him is 3 years, $39 million.
    RF: Stuck with JD Blew one more year
    CF: Ellsbury (hopefully healthy)
    LF: Sign Werth? Maybe move Blew to LF, put Werth in RF.
    OF: McDonald or Kalish as Utility OF
    SP: Locked in with Lester, Bucholz, Beckett, Lacking. Not too hard for Beckett and Lacking to improve on last year, which they should. Dice K needs a change of scenery, should get traded. Use Wake or sign starter from other team which would benefit from change in scenery as well.
    RP: Bard, and probably go with Pap one more year, unless they can convince another team to take him in a good trade. See how Chokajima does in the spring, sign some other free agent relievers -- the guys in the minors are still not ready. Trade Atchison -- he sucks.
    DH: Pick up Papi's option, or sign for 2 years, $20 million, if they think he has 2 good years left.
  • Options
    Hmm, guess that leaves a hole at 3B. Any free agents available?
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    $5 says Werth is a SOCK (SOX) next year....
    you'll pay a mint but he's worth is. sigh.
  • Options
    Well, so much for Victor. The $52 million I predicted would have gotten it done, too. I will reserve judgement on Theo until the free agent winter pans out.
  • Options
    As a fan I thought I was prepared to say goodbye to Victor Martinez because I figured his contract demands would be unreasonable and could make it harder for the Sox in a couple years. But after looking at what he got from Detroit I feel like the deal he got was relatively reasonable and it made me wish he had signed that deal with Boston. Oh well. The good news is that the Red Sox get the Tigers' 1st round pick (#19) and a sandwich pick. If Beltre signs somewhere else they'll get picks for him as well.

That's good news because it means the Red Sox would still have 1st round picks if they go out and sign a Type A free agent themselves.
  • Options
    I think it was an OK, even good thing, to let V-Mart go. He will be 32 to start the contract and his years of catching have got to be limited. He sucked defensively, but seemed to call a decent game. 12 million dollars a year for a bat is too much (Hello, David Ortiz), IMO. A defense-capable catcher would be great. Saltalamacchia and Varitek, anyone?
  • Options
    The problem with resigning Martinez is that aside from his age and him insisting on 4 years, is that he isn't even an average defensive catcher. He's well below average at a -8 FSR...and a 21% caught stealing rate. 302/.351/.493 is great for a catcher of course, but it will be easily replaceable production when he's a permanent DH in a year or two...and of course you don't know what the Red Sox's DH situation will be in a year. Even if Ortiz is hasta la bye bye after 2011, you know everything leads up to Adrian Gonzalez dawning the B next year so if Epstein winds up resigning Beltre or acquires another 3B, you have nowhere to put Youk unless there is a DH opening. I think this ensures the Red Sox will sign Werth or Crawford...more likely Werth. Once an OFer is signed, Theo will have some trade chips like Ellsbury or Cameron or Scutaro/Lowrie to acquire another catcher if necessary. Perhaps a Mike Napoli or Chris Iannetta type upper mid-tier catcher.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I will not be happy if they sign Werth.
  • Options

<< <i>I will not be happy if they sign Werth. >>

getting up there in age, the Sox will pay for past performance, he sucks with RISP. JD Drew II.
  • Options
    Definitely would prefer Crawford over Werth. But I think Crawford will end up in Anaheim.
  • Options

<< <i>

getting up there in age, the Sox will pay for past performance, he sucks with RISP. JD Drew II. >>

Are there ANY free agents you think they should sign? Signing Crawford for 6 years/$120 million does not seem very prudent either.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

getting up there in age, the Sox will pay for past performance, he sucks with RISP. JD Drew II. >>

Are there ANY free agents you think they should sign? Signing Crawford for 6 years/$120 million does not seem very prudent either. >>

Scott Downs and if I can have a miracle...Cliff Lee
  • Options
    Sox signed Varitek to a one year deal for $2 million (plus about $300K in incentives). Saltalamacchia and Varitek it will be. Hope some of the other eight batters can hit.
  • Options
    I like the signing! $2 million isn't bad.
  • Options
    I think the Cold Stove will begin to heat up now.
  • Options
    it was odd that there was so much press about the Sox meeting with Crawford. Usually they get zero publicity on signings until the official announcement. Maybe just a ploy to drive the price up for LAA or NYY?
  • Options
    crawford is a great player, but not worth 20 million bucks and not for 6 years lol.
  • Options
    multiple sources reporting the Sox and Padres are going to make the Adrian Gonzalez trade. Wow...if it happens.

Gonzalez will take a physical in Boston so the team can check out his healing shoulder.

Youkilis would move back to third base.

Wow...if it happens, just wow!
  • Options
    Wow is exactly what I was thinking too. I hope they get this done!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Congrats! I'm happy to see that the pesky Padres are raising the white flag before the season has even started!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats! I'm happy to see that the pesky Padres are raising the white flag before the season has even started! >>

Not as happy as we are.
  • Options
    if the Sox trade away Papelbon too, this would be a great offseason! image

Seriously, I think Papelbon will have a good year wherever he plays...it's a contract year and all he cares about is the Rivera-level money.
  • Options
    Papelbon isn't going anywhere now. It appears Theo's original plan was to also acquire Heath Bell in the A.Gone deal and then non-tender Papelbon. Now it seems that SD will not trade Bell until the trading deadline. Pretty incredible trade though considering that it appears that the Red Sox will not be giving up anyone from the current Major League roster. Though there is a report that there is going to be a player to be named later, the current structure is all prospects - P Casey Kelly, 1B Anthony Rizzo, and Beltran's cousin CF Raymond Fuentes + PTBNL...meaning they still have a valuable trade chip in Ellsbury should they need it at the 2011 trading deadline. Also, no grossly overpaying for Mr Only Performs in a Walk Year - A.Beltre.
  • Options
    si.com and boston.com reporting the Gonzalez deal is now OFF image
  • Options
    It's starting to remind me of when the Red Sox tried to trade for A-Rod and couldn't get the deal done.
  • Options

<< <i>It's starting to remind me of when the Red Sox tried to trade for A-Rod and couldn't get the deal done. >>

I hope it works out the same way next season as it did then!
  • Options
    Looks like the deal will go through without a contract extension
  • Options
    just read it will go through with an extension...official announcement by Sox Monday
  • Options
    I don't think that they agreed on an extension.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think that they agreed on an extension. >>

I believe that if they announce an extension after opening day and sign the papers after opening day, they will save this year's hit on the luxury tax.
  • Options
    Yes, I am sure they both have an understanding as to where they want to be.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

WORLD SERIES anybody?
  • Options

<< <i>WORLD SERIES anybody? >>

Beckett, Lackey, Matsuzaka need to live up to 80% of their potential/hype and a bullpen other than Bard to Papelblown needs to develop.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>WORLD SERIES anybody? >>

Beckett, Lackey, Matsuzaka need to live up to 80% of their potential/hype and a bullpen other than Bard to Papelblown needs to develop. >>

We need to get something out of Ellsbury at the top of the lineup too.

And I think another decent hitting outfielder would help. I'm not really thrilled with Ellsbury, Cameron and Drew making up our OF even if they are above average defensively. They all seem to fragile to rely upon for an entire season.
  • Options
    Much better than Kalish, Nava and Reddick.
  • Options
    This is a pretty big shock to me. Like the writer says though, we'll see if its just tactics.

Not pursuing Crawford
  • Options
    Rumor of the day: Gammons is reporting that the Red Sox are interested in Beltran. The writers at the Globe suggested a bad contract for a bad contract deal that would send Dice-K to New York in exchange for Beltran.

Beltran would be intriguing, especially if he's healthy. Getting rid of Dice-K would have the added benefit of decreasing the length of Red Sox games.
  • Options

<< <i>This is a pretty big shock to me. Like the writer says though, we'll see if its just tactics.

Not pursuing Crawford >>

from what I've seen, any time there is news about the Sox talking to someone or interested in someone, that player is really not on their radar. Theo's modus operandi is stealth pursuit/negotiating
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    No to Beltran, IMO. We already have enough fragile outfielders. I would like to see Crawford come here, but his deal will be huge after seeing what Werth got. Maybe they should stick to finding some good middle relief and calling it a day. Gonzalez was a huge pickup, been waiting a year to see that!
  • Options
    Magglio Ordonez could fill in every now and then, eh?
  • Options
    So much for "not pursuing Crawford"! 7 years, 142 million? Outstanding signing for the Red Sox. I'm beyond excited if this turns out to be a legit news story.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I think it's legit! Welcome to the best lineup in baseball. I really didn't expect this!
  • Options
    You guys will be plenty pleased with him! One of my all time favorites! Treat him well image

I was hoping he would go to the Angels so it would be easier to cheer for him, but I'll continue to cheer for him on an individual level. Your teams lookin' STACKED next year.
  • Options
    I never viewed Crawford as a 20 million a year player.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Why wait for October! Just give the RED SOX the world series now. It's over folks.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭

<< <i>I think it's legit! Welcome to the best lineup in baseball. I really didn't expect this! >>

How sweet is this! Crawford and Gonzalez.

Could one of you guys list the Sox probable lineup for next year, as it stands so far? I want to digest this slowly and savor it.
    Capecards
  • Options
    Ellsbury CF
    Pedroia 2B
    Crawford LF
    Youkilis 3B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Ortiz DH
    Drew RF
    Catcher (Varitek, Saltalamacchia, or Free Agent yet to be signed)
    Scutaro SS

The lineup is heavy on left handed hitters. Usually Francona likes to mix up the lineup so that he never has the same side of the plate coming up in consecutive batters (i.e. he uses left-right-left-right as much as feasible). Obviously, he will have to make some adjustments. Drew will likely infrequently play against lefty pitchers...Mike Cameron will play RF on those days.

Of course, the Sox may not be done this offseason.