Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What I found at the NYC ANA show....

Hello everyone. I went to the opening day of the show (Wed.) and returned somewhat disappointed; although I found one coin that was worth the trip alone. I noticed that the show had little for what I consider "value coins." There was a lot of "cheap" common date coins, mostly moderns--or there was stuff so rare and graded so high that almost no collector could afford it.

For example, I saw too many rare date golds in MS64 and above....we're talking five and six figure coins! And any of the gold in lower grades such as MS61 and MS60 was complete junk with little or no eye appeal. I was at the show for over six hours and combed the tables. I did find a beauty for my gold set, a 1907 $10 Indian PCGS MS62 (looks better than some MS63's I saw). It was the only one at the show such graded. I picked it up at a fair price and I love the coin.

Also, I was looking for a 1917FH SLQ in MS63 and none were there. A few MS64's but not worth the prices for such poor eye appeal. Plenty of MS66's but I can't bring myself to spend kind of money for a coin I could end up taking a bath on.

I like to collect coins that are in my opinion a "good value" and affordable to most serious collectors but the big money coins I think are hard to sell and not worth the premiums--unless you are really rich or have a serious sicknessimage

All in all, I ended up picking up a few high grade buffs, my gold Indian, and a couple $20 saints. If anyone wants to ask me questions about what else I saw fire away.

-Hunter
THE C0IN HUNTER:

WANTED: I need these coins

Always looking for PCGS buffs, 1917 SLQs, and pre-1933 GOLD.

Check my want list above!!!

Comments

• Options
    HuntHunt Posts: 67
    oh, I also purchased a brand new copy of the Cherrypickers--if anyone ever needs info. let me know
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

• Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Is the CherryPicker's part two or the first part.

Is part two out yet?
  • Options
    What are tough date Morgan CCs going for? How is the attendance, and were they looky loos or were they buying?
  • Options
    I got volume one. I don't know if they're making a part two or what.
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

• Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    I can relate to what you are saying. The "hunt" for me these days is finding the really quality, eye appealing 63, 64, even 65 coins for my collection. When I can find one, without an outlandish premium being tacked on, I consider it a small victory.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    What exactly were your newps?
  • Options
    I don't collect Morgans so I can't tell you anything about price, but I did see quite a few and some reallllly beauties toned like you wouldn't believe. A decent amount of buying, but I think there was more people trying to sell to dealers and buy.

The attendence seemed quite strong, but a lot of lookers were there (local New Yorkers)
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

• Options
    Miko what doe you mean by Newps
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

• Options
    Newps is an acronym dealers used for: new purchases.
  • Options
    I got the $10 Indian 1907 no motto MS62
    Pair of $20 Saints 1908 motto and no motto MS63
    Two Buffs 1913 Ty1 MS66, 1916-s Buff MS63 (really nice find)
    And some silver comm. from the Austrian Mint (4 of those proof)
    and my cherrypickers
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Darn, I wish I was at that show ... but, I'm still trying to recover from Central States... image
  • Options
    I'm heading up Saturday, so I'll try to drop in a few words about what I see as well. As far as Cherrypicker's Volume 2, the goal right now is to have it out by the FUN show in Orlando. But, it'll probably be out by next summer or so, according to the authors. They are working on it, but it takes a lot of work to do a book like that...
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I'm curious as to what range the asking prices were for the 1917 Ty1 SLQ in MS64FH. I'm going to looking for one of those soon and have been wondering what price I should expect to pay without getting reamed.
    Matt
  • Options
    Flash
    The 1917 SLQFH in MS64, I only saw three, were in the mid $400 range and I could have got a few MS65's for $1100 to $1200. I thought the prices on the 64's was a little high but the coins were really a mess or I would have picked one up-- one the other hand the 65's were a better deal, but too steap for me, nice coins though.

I also saw a 1917-D FH MS64 for $780.
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

• Options
    Thanks Hunt. Did you check out J.H. Cline for the SLQ's?
    Matt
  • Options
    He didn't have a table there. I wish he had, I heard he's the man for SLQs. He could have done well there because no one had any nice SLQs unless you wanted to pay a few grand.

-Hunter

May be he was there before it opened and bought them all.image
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cline's prices are way too high.... I always look at his stuff, but never buy.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    jtrykajtryka Posts: 797
    Hunter,

If I may ask, what kind of prices are they asking on semi-common date Saints, like the 14-S or 15-S in MS-63? Not sure if they have any given the nature of the coins you've mentioned so far. My last local show, I got some really good prices (I was buying by the way). Thanks!

Jeff
  • Options
    I did not price any of those specific dates, but my 1908 w/o motto was only $420 in PCGS MS63. That's a more common date than the one's you mentioned but I thought I paid a fair price for my 08 w/o motto
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

• Options
    $400.00 that's chump change to Flash.image
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    Hahaha

I wish! image
    Matt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file