Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Steel Cents & Rust?

Amongst the vast amount of coins - mostly cents - I recently picked up are several rolls of 1943 steel cents. A couple are in pretty much pristine condition, but a few other rolls I've uncovered have what appears to be rust on virtually every coin.

Does it make sense to leave them as they are, or is there a way of cleaning them up without damaging the coins? Would acetone or olive oil be an effective treatment?
UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
Beats All The Lies You Can Invent

Comments

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't feel there is an effective treatment. Should probably say there is not a cost effective treatment.
    Spots on zinc are tough to remove. I would probably just put them away in a dry spot or sell them for what they are.
    Larry

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Rustoleum
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removing rust from steel cents will just leave a damaged surface. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Removing rust from steel cents will just leave a damaged surface. Cheers, RickO >>

Don't waste time or money on them.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

...i don't have that rusting problem 'cause my 43's are all copper! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...i don't have that rusting problem 'cause my 43's are all copper! image >>

How many exactly do you have??
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Day 1 the steel cents had a problem in that while the strips used for the planchets were zinc coated, the planchets themselves, when punched out, had raw steel edges. This gave rust a foothold almost at once.

The concept was bad to begin with, and the coins have not aged well. Even those in PCGS slabs have developed spotting and issues.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...i don't have that rusting problem 'cause my 43's are all copper! image >>

How many exactly do you have?? >>

...just funnin' ya. image
  • Options

<< <i>From Day 1 the steel cents had a problem in that while the strips used for the planchets were zinc coated, the planchets themselves, when punched out, had raw steel edges. This gave rust a foothold almost at once.

The concept was bad to begin with, and the coins have not aged well. Even those in PCGS slabs have developed spotting and issues. >>

...seems like they (the mint) still have the spotting issues, yes? steel or not. image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ones that were in my Grandmothers whitmans have developed a white/grey patina. No doubt she had these since the forties...

imageimage
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

How many exactly do you have?? >>

163 coins, plus or minus... about 45 of them in the condition I wrote about...
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    1943 cents were struck on planchets of low carbon steel that had been electroplated with zinc. The planchets came from several manufacturers and quality varied considerably. Low carbon steel was used because it had few military uses during the war, and was available in large quantity from the toy industry.
  • Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    You can buy a product from AutoZone called Evapo-Rust. It's a non-toxic solution that removes rust from steel without damaging the underlying surface. It takes a while, but it works great on steel cents. Or, you could just use Muriatic/Hydrochloric acid (pool cleaner)--which is VERY toxic, but it gets the job done instantly... but it'll also strip off all of the zinc plating, right down to the bare steel.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file