Home Sports Talk
Options

2010 NLCS: THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!!

Comments

• Options
    poor guy, saddled with a girls first name and a god awful last name.
    folks like that never stick around for a longterm career. Hope he gets it done this time.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>poor guy, saddled with a girls first name and a god awful last name. >>

He knows.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Another pitching duel that looked to be going in Atlanta's favor, then the Atlanta pen and defense blew it.

Cox probably should have pulled Lowe when he went out to get him with 2 on and 1 out in the 7th, but he let Lowe talk him into facing Burrell, who he walked to load the bases, then the Atlanta pen blew it and let 2 cross.

Exhale..... Ok.

Next stop... Philadelphia!

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Happy for ya. Should be a good series. Go Giants!

• Options
    gonna be a great series, 3 stud pitchers on each team! Phillies tested, veteran offense might make all the difference.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be a great series.

I'd wish the Giants "good luck" but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. image

But i will say, may the best team win, and I'm sure it will be an exciting series with lots of MLB action - Good entertainment and I've got to restock my supply of Sam Adams and other playoff baseball food & beverage necessities. LOL
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Giants won a great series even though it went only 4 games. Congrats Rich and Giants fans.

Now its the big series against the Phillies...
    The Giants pitching should keep them in the games against the Phillies, but I don't see anyone in the NL beating the Phillies right now. They have the best 1,2,3 starting rotation right now and probably one of the best ever. The Phillies have speed and the big bats where the Giants don't have any pop in their lineup. The Phillies should advance to the World Series, but it should be a great series. Probably will go 6 games.

Good luck to your Giants Rich!

brian
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to the Giants, I hope they win it all...I'll be pulling for them.

This from a long time Red Sox fan who has lived in Atlanta for more than 20 years.
  • Options

• Options
    Next question is, do you tweak with the roster before the NLCS?

I'd say no.

Zito = has not had a good year, and Bumgarner's been better.
    Runzler = got hurt during the summer, hasn't been effective since his return from the DL
    Ray = Redundant righty reliever

Jose Guillen makes it easy to leave him off any future Giants rosters. He got left off the LDS roster, and when the team packed up to go to Atlanta, Guillen refused to go with the team and went home instead. That seems to tell me that he's not interested.

Besides, Cody Ross, the unofficial MVP of the NLDS series against the Braves has pretty much earned the right field job for the NLCS.

Starters
    1 - Lincecum SP
    2 - Cain SP
    3 - Sanchez SP
    4 - Bumgarner SP

Bullpen
    4 - Wilson
    5 - Romo
    6 - Casilla
    7 - Ramirez
    8 - Mota
    9 - Lopez (l)
    10 - Affeldt (l)

Starters
    1 - Posey C
    2 - Huff 1B
    3 - F Sanchez 2B
    4 - Uribe SS
    5 - Sandoval 3B
    6 - Burrell LF
    7 - Torres CF
    8 - Ross RF

Bench
    9 - Whiteside C (backup catcher)
    10 - Ishikawa 1B (good lefty pinchhitter)
    11 - Fontenot 2B/SS/3B
    12 - Schierholtz RF (awesome defender, knows AT&T Park's RF very well)
    13 - Renteria SS
    14 - Rowand OF

Cheerleading squad
    Zito LHSP
    Ray RHRP
    Runzler LHRP
    Ford (OF, pinch runner)
    Velez (OF/IF)
    Guillen (if he shows up)

• Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Guillen is a baby. Leave him off for sure.

Oh and I agree completely. Don't mess with what is working.

Here is hoping that the winner of this next series wins it all!

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    It's been announced that Sanchez will be starting game 2 and Cain will take the hill for game 3. Bumgarner will start game 4 depending on how the series is looking at that point.
  • Options
    Pablo Sandoval lost his starting job to Mike Fontenot too. I'm not shocked.

Panda's been strugling at the plate badly. Last year, he'd swing at crap, but his excellent bat speed would let him wack it for extra bases. This year, his bat speed is gone, and he just looks horrible.

Oddly enough, Panda made some awesome defensive plays this year.

Fontenot is an iffy defender with a suspect bat, but he's managed to channel his inner "David Eckstein" and make himself relevant when the Giants need him the most.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I just look at this and think to myself: Is this a World Series Lineup?

1 - Posey C
    2 - Huff 1B
    3 - F Sanchez 2B
    4 - Uribe SS
    5 - Sandoval 3B
    6 - Burrell LF
    7 - Torres CF
    8 - Ross RF

Eep.
  • Options

<< <i>I just look at this and think to myself: Is this a World Series Lineup? >>

You should have seen the opening day lineup...

C - Molina (traded)
    1b - Huff
    2b - Uribe (moved to SS)
    SS - Renteria (benched)
    3b - Sandoval (benched)
    LF - DeRosa (DL)
    CF - Rowand (benched)
    RF - Bowker (traded)

• Options

<< <i>Guillen is a baby. Leave him off for sure. >>

Guillen didn't show up for the Wednesday practice. One of the reporters who follows the team around says that its as if Guillen isn't considered to even be on the team anymore.

Wow. When was the last time a player decided to walk off the team in the middle of the playoffs?

Well, I guess the Giants kinda owed it to the KC Royals to take this clown off their hands. They drafted ahead of the Giants in '06 and '08 and picked guys not named Tim Lincecum or Buster Posey.

• Options
    sounds like they're treating him correctly. personnae non grata (or whatever).

no distractions! just excellent, nailbiting dramatic baseball!
  • Options
    The KC Royals took AAA Fresno righty Kevin Pucetas as the "Player to be named later" in the Guillen trade.

Pucetas was one of the guys competing for the #5 starter job in Spring Training, but lost out to Todd Wellemeyer, who ended up sucking badly. Pucetas had a good spring training, but an iffy season in AAA. He was iffy last year too. Not a top prospect.

Still, Guillen is worthless. It'd be better to think of this as this: Kevin Pucetas was sent to KC in compensation for Tim Lincecum and Buster Posey (who the Royals passed on in the draft). image

• Options
    Lots of hype around this matchup. I don't think it's the "most anticipated matchup in LCS history" (how about the 7 Cy Young Awards on the field in 2001 when Randy Johnson and Greg Maddux faced each other?), but it's a good one.

There's buzz around the Giants news folks about a blister that developed on Tim's pitching hand last week. Oh oh. The last time Tim had a blister on his hand was right before summer, when he crashed and burned for a few months.

• Options
    Not quite the sizzling pitching duel many were expecting.

Cody Ross, "hero" of the NLDS showed up and took Halladay deep twice. Cody Ross? Cody Ross!

• Options

<< <i>Not quite the sizzling pitching duel many were expecting.

I'm thinking because that umpire had a strike zone as big as a mouse hole. Would it kill him to call a strike on the black for cry'in out loud.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    congrats Digicat!!!

Go Giants!!!
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Very good game 1 Rich. Congrats to your guys. It looks like this series will be a battle.

brian
  • Options
    Nice win for you guys against our star pitcher at home.
  • Options
    Really needed Halladay and the Phils bats to win that game.

Oswalt was shaky in his last start.

A Game 1 win would have made me feel better going into tonight.
  • Options
    Oh oh. Juan Uribe's sitting with a hurt wrist. Edgar Renteria's taking his spot at short.

Edgar's a slightly better defender than Uribe, but Uribe's got some power while Edgar has none.

However, Uribe is just 2 for 18 in the postseason this year.

• Options
    Oh, THOSE Giants. image

It's "Best of 5" now, SF with "home field advantage."

• Options
    ya didn't think the series was gonna go 4 - 0 did ya? image
  • Options
    Homestand time...

Cain vs Hammels
    Bumgarner vs Blanton
    Lincecum vs Halladay (II)

None of these matchups make me think "Oh crap!" They can all go either way. Hopefully more will go SF's way than Philly's way.

The rotation's fine, but the lineup is as iffy as always. I heard that they're going to sit Torres and start Rowand in CF for Game 3. I'd imagine that the Panda's gonna waddle back over to 3rd base since Mike Fontenot has obviously been possessed by the same demon that had Brooks Conrad.

• Options
    I wonder what's wrong with Uribe's wrist? MRI soon I think.

Rowands the all time highest paid bench player ever!

• Options

<< <i>I wonder what's wrong with Uribe's wrist? MRI soon I think. >>

They're saying that he jammed it while sliding into 2nd in Game 1. The replays I saw didn't look like anything, but who knows.

<< <i>Rowands the all time highest paid bench player ever! >>

Rowand. Blegh. 5 year, $60 million contract. I think Brian Sabien looked at his 2007 campaign in Philly (.309/.374/.515) and thought "ooh, that's not flukey at all". Rowand's given the Giants a robust slash of .257/.318/.405.

I'm not sure which is worse, a $10 mil a year bench player, or a $6 mill a year cheerleader (DeRosa, who's season ended when his already bad wrist got worse and ended his season 26 games into 2010).

• Options
    A 1 pm start time on a Tuesday for a playoff game in San Francisco? Really?

• Options
    Atta boy Matty! Big Game Cain comes through with 7 innings of 2 hit shutout baseball, and Cody Ross drives in the first of the Giants 3 runs. Awesome!

• Options
    Another nice win for you guys...I knew the Giants would be tough...but I still believe the Phillies will win this series.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    This might be the game that decides the series. This will be the "must win" game for the Giants if they want to put away the Phils.
  • Options
    I don't know what to expect in this game.

Blanton's had a few weeks off, and MadBum last pitched in the NLDS clincher against the Braves last week.

• Options
    this game is the tipping point for the series. Phillies win with Blanton today they will take the series. Bumgarner looks very hittable and i dislike his delivery, long term I dont think this kid is a major leaguer for very long. I really think this series goes 7 games.
  • Options

<< <i>Bumgarner looks very hittable and i dislike his delivery, long term I dont think this kid is a major leaguer for very long. I really think this series goes 7 games. >>

Bum's not that bad. I think he's got some promise for a 21 year old rookie. I'm looking forward to him being a solid member of the Giants rotation for the next several years.

• Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    I hate Joe Buck and Tim McCarver, I hope they both get hit by a bus.
  • Options
    Whoooo!! Giants finally got production from the middle of their order FOR THE WIN!

Both starters were gone after 4.2, and the battle of bullpens was won by the Giants, with Roy Oswalt (!??!?!) taking the loss in the 9th.

Pretty risky to put a starter on 2 days and a quick bullpen session on the mound in the 9th in a tie ballgame. The risk didn't pay off.

Giants go for the kill tomorrow with Freak vs Doc, round 2.

• Options
    Great botton of the ninth, Buster is amazing. Can't wait for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Looking good for you guys - seems the Giants want it a bit more than the Phillies right now. I'm not giving up, the Phillies are good enough to win 3 straight from the Giants. They can do it, but will they do it is the question.

In any event, I can't complain, two straight WS appearances is dam good, so if the Phils can't get it done this season, so be it.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Don't know why Rollins wasn't bunting with a runner at second and no outs. At the very least, he needed to hit the ball to the right side on the ground. Not heads up at all.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't know why Rollins wasn't bunting with a runner at second and no outs. At the very least, he needed to hit the ball to the right side on the ground. Not heads up at all. >>

this.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    < Don't know why Rollins wasn't bunting with a runner at second and no outs. At the very least, he needed to hit the ball to the right side on the ground. Not heads up at all. >>

this.

Don't worry Walt, the Bucs may actually win 6 games this season, so all is not lost!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>< Don't know why Rollins wasn't bunting with a runner at second and no outs. At the very least, he needed to hit the ball to the right side on the ground. Not heads up at all. >>

this.

Don't worry Walt, the Bucs may actually win 6 games this season, so all is not lost! >>

Don't worry Walt, the Mets may actually win 7 games next season.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I hope the Giants win game 5 and put the Phils away. When you are this close you want to end the series, I remember in the 04 and 07 Sox WS years that both times they were either down 0-3 and 1-3 and ended up coming back to win the series.
  • Options
    More food for the Fox Sports hype machine. Lincecum v Halladay, part 2.

Giants go for the kill, Doc preps for surgery to try and save the Phillies' season.

Lincecum's blister is a scary issue for me. The cameras zoomed in on Lincecum a few games ago as he sat in the dugout grotesquely gnawing on his bad finger, trimming it with some nail clippers, and pealing off skin. I don't know what he was hoping to accomplish.

Huff and Posey's performances last night were very promising. They've been the offensive leaders of the Giants this year, and haven't contributed much to the NLCS until last night. Of course, Joe Blanton and the Phillies bullpen isn't Roy Halladay, so it might not mean much, but considering how Cody Ross has been a major factor in the Giants success in the NLCS, being in "the Zone" seems to be an intangible that can't be ignored.

The Phillies' intangible is "survival", so we'll see what happens.

• Options
    LETS GO GIANTS!!!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    < < Don't know why Rollins wasn't bunting with a runner at second and no outs. At the very least, he needed to hit the ball to the right side on the ground. Not heads up at all. >>

this.

Don't worry Walt, the Bucs may actually win 6 games this season, so all is not lost! >>

Don't worry Walt, the Mets may actually win 7 games next season.

I'm guessing by now a bandwagon fan like yourself is ordering an LT jersey in green and white.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.