Home Sports Talk
Options

2010 NLCS: THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!!

13»

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Well, that sucked. Sloppy defense by the Giants costs the game.

6 great innings out of 7 from Timmy.

1st: 3 up, 3 down
    2nd: 3 up, 3 down
    3rd: single, hbp, sac bunt (horrid missplay, would have been a double play, instead they got only 1), 2 run error (grounder to 1st, booted into center), rbi single, single, K, fly-out
    4th: 3 up, 3 down
    5th: 3 up, 3 down
    6th: 3 up, 3 down
    7th: 1b, K, BB, GDP

Jonathan Sanchez up next. I wonder which Sanchez will get on the plane to Philly... Dirty, or the other guy?

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is important to remember as one MLB catcher so wisely stated, "It ain't over 'til it's over"
  • Options
    Well, the guy on one of the Giants sites I like to read said it best after Sunday's loss in Philly:

"The template for a team without homefield advantage is simple. Split on the road, win two of three at home, split on the road. So when the Giants won last night’s game, it was like they were playing with house money tonight.
    But, oh, how easy it was to think greedy thoughts."

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Whoever wins this series will earn it now.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, the guy on one of the Giants sites I like to read said it best after Sunday's loss in Philly:

"The template for a team without homefield advantage is simple. Split on the road, win two of three at home, split on the road. So when the Giants won last night’s game, it was like they were playing with house money tonight.
    But, oh, how easy it was to think greedy thoughts." >>

Should be a hard fought hopefully, in my view, next 2 games.

I just don't wanna hear any "Bobby Thomson" type home run calls from the announcers, know what I'm saying? image
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was that Brooks Conrad playing for the Giants last night? image
  • Options

<< <i>I just don't wanna hear any "Bobby Thomson" type home run calls from the announcers, know what I'm saying? >>

I seriously doubt Buck or McCarver would get too excited over Giants doing anything. Already, when the Giants score runs, Buck says "And the Giants score a run" in the same voice he'd use to say "The shooter's claimed another victim."

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just don't wanna hear any "Bobby Thomson" type home run calls from the announcers, know what I'm saying? >>

I seriously doubt Buck or McCarver would get too excited over Giants doing anything. Already, when the Giants score runs, Buck says "And the Giants score a run" in the same voice he'd use to say "The shooter's claimed another victim." >>

You're right about Buck and McCarver...and mark my words, if a Giants player hits a walk off home run in one of those games, Buck will definitely utter those words from that Thomson home run call - I hope he doesn't get the chance to do it. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I seriously doubt Buck or McCarver would get too excited over Giants doing anything. Already, when the Giants score runs, Buck says "And the Giants score a run" in the same voice he'd use to say "The shooter's claimed another victim." >>

You're right about Buck and McCarver...and mark my words, if a Giants player hits a walk off home run in one of those games, Buck will definitely utter those words from that Thomson home run call - I hope he doesn't get the chance to do it. image >>

oh it just hit me, haven't had my third cup of coffee yet, LOL, can't be a walk off home run for the visiting team, but I still think Buck would find a way to utter those words after the game if the Giants win.
  • Options
    If Buck says "The Giants Win the Pennant", it will likely be in the same tone as "the plane has crashed."

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giants probably picked up some seriously bad karma from that whacko that "sang" GBA. Whoever allowed that to happen should be without a job today, what a farce!!

You'd nevah, nevah see that in Fenway Park!
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I believe that was normal for San Francisco.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Brick...that may well be true, therefore they shouldh've kept that BS in San Fran, not allow that kinda crap to be aired Nation wide. That moron was a total disgrace to baseball and the song.
  • Options

<< <i>Brick...that may well be true, therefore they shouldh've kept that BS in San Fran, not allow that kinda crap to be aired Nation wide. That moron was a total disgrace to baseball and the song. >>

I'm sure there are some folks who feel that having members of the Grateful Dead sing the national anthem would be a disgrace as well. Can't please everyone.

The chick who sang is an SF icon. Probably a little too local for a national audience though.

• Options
    Got nuthin' to do with the Grateful Dead...or anyone else. Local icon huh? KEEP HER!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Got nuthin' to do with the Grateful Dead...or anyone else. Local icon huh? KEEP HER!!! >>

I'm not from SF, I just watch my baseball there. There's crazier stuff in SF. At least she really was a chick.

• Options
    Here we are now, game 6.

All 10 "experts" on ESPN picked the Phillies to win it all. 7 of the 10 said the Phillies would do it in 6 games or less. Only 3 thought it'd go the whole distance.

Giants once again stand on the threshold of an upset, 1 win away from the World Series.

If Sanchez has his command back, he'll keep the score low. Roy Oswalt 18 pitches in relief on Wednesday night on 2 days rest, armed with only fastballs that resulted in a walk-off victory for the Giants. Hopefully this disruption in his routine will be enough for the Giants to capitalize.

If they can't, then it'll be up to Matt Cain.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

imageimage

• Options
    <<< All 10 "experts" on ESPN picked the Phillies to win it all. >>>

I didn't know that and that does worry me...I'm not kidding.
  • Options
    I think this game 6 will be the deciding game in the Series. If the Phillies win game 6, I don't think the Giants have any chance of winning game 7.
  • Options

<< <i>I think this game 6 will be the deciding game in the Series. If the Phillies win game 6, I don't think the Giants have any chance of winning game 7. >>

Giants fans have more faith in Cain than Sanchez.

Do the Phillies fans have more faith in Hammels than Oswalt?

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    All four of them can pitch a gem.
  • Options
    Woah, I remember thinking that this game would start at 1 pm PST, not 5 pm.

• Options
    Bring it home, boys!

Tonights lineup, via my Giants rookie card collection:

imageimageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Giants Fans!!!
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Digicat and the rest of the Giants fans.... They proved to have more Guts than people realized.
  • Options
    Oh MAN, what a game!

My wife's cousin was having an engagement party at his fiancée's parent's house. They're all Giants fans, and they too thought the game was at 1 today, so the scheduled the party for 5 pm. Oops. The game pretty much hijacked the party, but it all worked out.

It figures.. I got called in for a family photo, and Uribe hit that shot over the right field wall as I was in the other room. Thank God for DVRs! image

I don't know where Sanchez's head was, but it wasn't on the game. Fortunatly, the Giants managed to hold the line with 7 innings worth of relief work from Affeldt, MadBum, Lopez, Lincecum, and then Wilson. I was shocked to see MadBum and Lincecum in the game, but I think Bochy had it in the back of his head that he didn't want to exhaust the bullpen just in case there was a game 7.

2010 National League Champions.

They did it with "just barely enough" hitting, and overwhelming pitching.

• Options

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    This Series is going to be a lot like '02. That's the last time I was essentially neutral. I usually really like, or really detest, one of the participants. Looking forward to just relaxing and enjoying some good games.
  • Options
    Congrats to the Giants and their fans - Well deserved.

Good luck the rest of the way.
  • Options
    "I was shocked to see MadBum and Lincecum in the game, "

i wasnt, i sense that Bochy felt that it was all or nothing and everyone was available except for Cain. Bochy = manager of the year.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Rich & Giants fans,
    congrats on an awesome season! U guys knocked the Pads out of the playoff race and now u knocked out the Phillies to make it to the big dance. I really didn't see the Phillies losing it this year, but that's why they play the games. That's gotta be a tough one for the Phillies fans....LOL
    Cody, Buster, and many others are certainly gamers and will give Texas a fight.

Good luck.

brian

• Options

<< <i>Bochy = manager of the year. >>

Do they vote on Manager of the Year before the post season like other awards, or after?

Anyways, Bochy and Sabean have gone from being dogs with SF Giants bloggers and SF based sports-talk-radio to kings.

One guy even had a Sabean bashing site here: http://fire-sabean.com/. As you can see, he's had a change of heart. image

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!

Looking forward to seeing this WS, hopefully News Corp. and Cablevision will allow me too.

Or it's up from the basement the 1970's model TV and Rabbit ears.

Again congrats to the Giants and those who cheer for them!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    This has been one crazy ride! Next stop, THE WORLD SERIES!

• Options
    BTW, any guesses on what the rotation's going to look like? Sanchez was shaky in the last round? Would they Lincecum, Cain, MadBum, Sanchez? I assume the roster will stay the same.
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, any guesses on what the rotation's going to look like? Sanchez was shaky in the last round? Would they Lincecum, Cain, MadBum, Sanchez? I assume the roster will stay the same. >>

I think they'll keep it the same. Sanchez looked ify in both of his NLCS appearances with his inability to find the strike zone, but I think it's more an issue of nerves. In Game 2, once he got dialed in, he was doing ok.

Sanchez was weird for a couple of games. Zito's been weird for months. I still think Sanchez is our best bet.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today was great weatherwise in the SF Bay Area. The storm that hit over the weekend is gone.

If the weather on Wednesday is like it is today, game one at ATT Park will be [weatherwise] all one could expect for a WS game.

Wish I had a couple of tickets.

Go Giants.