Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

All that glitters might be frozen pork (or palladium).

Flathead Beacon (MT)
A Palladium-Plated Bailout?

By Kellyn Brown

Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer has resumed driving his Chevy pickup, which he had apparently parked in protest after General Motors cancelled its contract with Stillwater Mine – America’s only platinum and palladium mine – in favor of an overseas supplier.

Now GM and Stillwater are back at the negotiating table. But if the two sides can’t hammer out a new contract, Rep. Denny Rehberg has his own idea that could potentially save jobs in Columbus: require the federal government to mint a 1907 Augustus Saint-Gaudens palladium bullion coin.

But wouldn’t that be a government bailout, which Rehberg has largely opposed? The Billings Gazette’s Ed Kemmick thinks so:
The proposal seems to be a bailout of sorts. As one of my colleagues said, Rehberg might as well introduce legislation requiring the government to take out $100 million worth of advertising in The Gazette, which I am authorized to say we would gladly accept. We would even accept payment in palladium coins.

In Rehberg's defense, I will say that the government wouldn't exactly be giving any money directly to Stillwater Mining. The Treasury would buy the palladium, but presumably it could recover its investment by adding a few bucks to the price of each double eagle.

But if I'm reading the bill correctly, the Treasury would mint no more than 25,000 of the coins. At $260 an ounce, that's only $6.5 million. If we're going to help Stillwater Mining, let's get serious.

Comments

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    That article must be old, palladium is not $260 an ounce.image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But wouldn’t that be a government bailout, which Rehberg has largely opposed?

What bunk. If there's an investor market for palladium coins and if the government makes a profit as well as Stillwater, please explain how it even remotely resembles a bailout?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭
    Bland-Allison rides again?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That article must be old, palladium is not $260 an ounce.image >>

I think you are correct. I remember that last year or the year before a proposal to mint Palladium coins died in committee ... Palladium is more like $560+ an ounce
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The article was published Oct. 1, 2010 in the Flathead Beacon (MT), a newspaper in Montana. You can find it on-line.

Palladium, unlike gold, silver and platinum, has had no use as legal tender, and is not considered a coinage metal.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Palladium, unlike gold, silver and platinum, has had no use as legal tender, and is not considered a coinage metal. >>

Palladium is an excellent coinage metal. I use it.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    This shows it was posted last year.

Stillwater Mine
    A Palladium-Plated Bailout?

By Kellyn Brown , 08-06-09

Old Linky

I think the new legislation that passed isn't for a UHR coin, it is for the Mercury Dime obverse.
  • Options
    Bailout might be a bit too harsh, but it is certainly self-serving "pork". I think they should make a coin with a red beryl center (only mined in Utah), heck why stick with metals when the coin buying public could help other states and communities as well. It doesn't bother me as much that they want to help a segment of Montana, as much as once again they are ignoring the average American, the average collector, to serve a very narrow segment of the population. How many things would the average collector like to see before a "palladium" coin that most can't afford or aren't willing to gamble on. Have you seen the fluctuations on this stuff?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I think that the US should coin as much palladium as the market will bear into private hands. Same goes for Rare Earth Metals - it would be a good thing to have a private reserve available if the world market gets pigeon-holed by China, which is apparently happening.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file