Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Next time your PO tells you coins are not covered

Have them check the code book.

item 4.1.g:

“Fair market value of stamps and coins of philatelic or numismatic value, as determined by a recognized stamp or coin dealer or current coin and stamp collectors newsletters and trade papers.”

can be insured.

Comments

• Options
    .......amen
  • Options

I can't tell my Parole Office about my coins, he'll Confiscate them. LOL
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It kills me that certain clerks, (well, supervisors in many cases), have their own interpretation of the DMM......
    You hear about it in so many different cases.

Once upon a time, I had a group of clerks converge on me telling me that I can't insure first class mail.
    It's ludicrous.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good information. I had been told in the past (in the Post Office, by an employee) that coins were not insurable. Thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I can't tell my Parole Office about my coins, he'll Confiscate them

I am a parole officer. You need to bring me all your coins NOW!!!
  • Options
    They never ask me what I am shipping they just ask if it fragile or a liquid. But its good to know just in case...
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options

<< <i>I can't tell my Parole Office about my coins, he'll Confiscate them

I am a parole officer. You need to bring me all your coins NOW!!! >>

But But But

They are in my Wife's Name ha ha ha
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Why are you guys telling the PO what's in your package?!
  • Options

<< <i>It kills me that certain clerks, (well, supervisors in many cases), have their own interpretation of the DMM......
    You hear about it in so many different cases.

Once upon a time, I had a group of clerks converge on me telling me that I can't insure first class mail.
    It's ludicrous. >>

The big fish in a very small pond.image
  • Options
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, for express mail only (para. 4.2.c):

"For negotiable items, currency, or bullion, the maximum indemnity is $15.00."

Domestic Mail Manual Chapter 609

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    Why are you guys telling the PO what's in your package?!

you don't when you mail but are you going to lie if you have to file a claim? They will want to know then.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only need to tell the PO that you are shipping coins in the event that the package is lost and you are in the process of submitting an insurance claim. If someone asks you what is in the package prior to shipping you need only give them a generic answer like "product", "merchandise" or "stamped metal parts".
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

that is for spending money.

years ago I received an insurance check from the PO for a lost package of coins. I filled out a form declaring value then mailed it to the buyer he filled out his part confirming value (submitted no receipts). I was paid.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why are you guys telling the PO what's in your package?! >>

Do they or don't they have a right to know? Not interested in opinions; just the legal facts maam.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>Have them check the code book.

item 4.1.g:

“Fair market value of stamps and coins of philatelic or numismatic value, as determined by a recognized stamp or coin dealer or current coin and stamp collectors newsletters and trade papers.”

can be insured. >>

Perhaps you should print this, put it in one of those sheet protectors and give it to them to keep around for future reference.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"For negotiable items, currency, or bullion, the maximum indemnity is $15.00."

that is for spending money.

years ago I received an insurance check from the PO for a lost package of coins. I filled out a form declaring value then mailed it to the buyer he filled out his part confirming value (submitted no receipts). I was paid. >>

Could be open to interpretation, especially the "bullion" part. It could easily be argued that American Eagles in all three metals are both currency (face value) and bullion.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Could be open to interpretation, especially the "bullion" part. It could easily be argued that American Eagles in all three metals are both currency (face value) and bullion.

I agree and probably why so much confusion. I read what I posted so use it if it's helpful or don't...your call.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why are you guys telling the PO what's in your package?! >>

...i agree. i tell them i'm mailing it for someone else and they didn't tell me what's in the package, but just mail it as per

these instructions for insurance. image besides, who's to know whether or not they just X-ray the package when

you leave the premises? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    When they ask I just say "baseball cards."

• Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Maybe you might already know this, but I've been shipping packages for many years, insured and with signature delivery. Never ONCE in all those years did someone there point out that if you insure for more than $100 then it automatically requires a signature.

I just found that out this a month a ago in a slip of the tongue while at the PO, and I was mailing a package last week and they asked about signature confirmation and I mention the insurance signature and they just smiled on went on.

That clued me in that they don't WANT you to know so they don't tell you. Don't ask, don't tell. Beware!
  • Options
    My postal clerk knows about my hobby he saves me silver , and foreign coins. Also he says he can insure anything just if its something that is questionable like how coins seem to differ by clerk and office. Bring proof that you insured something that is insurable. 0 coins 0 currency has been lost. 1 sega genesis game system how ever has been lost. go figure , post office wants to play games over cashing in coins.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    503 Extra Services

4.0 Insured Mail
    4.2 Basic Information
    4.2.1 Description

d. Insured mail service provides the mailer with a mailing receipt. No record of insured mail is kept at the office of mailing. For mail insured for $200.00 or less, the USPS maintains delivery information (not including a signature) for a specified period of time. For mail insured for more than $200.00, the USPS maintains a delivery record (which includes the recipient's signature) for a specified period of time. Customers may obtain a delivery record by purchasing additional services; see 6.0 for details.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

A month or so ago I had a package addressed to a coin shop.
    Here's exactly how it went.

Me "I'd like to insure this for $100"
    Her "What's in it?"
    Me "A personal gift"
    Her "What kind of gift?"
    Me "Personal"
    Her "I have to know what's inside or I can't insure it."
    Me "You don't have to know what's inside. Give me my $100 insurance and pick on someone else today Patty."

She said "o.k. but if there's a problem don't come to me".
    I whippped out my cell phone, shot a picture of the insured package and said,"If I have a problem I won't be coming to you."

Great post agentjim, I'll study up on that reg for next time.

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I have had 2 lost coins, 1200 and 650, no issues on the pay out. In fact i under insured the 1200 dollar coin and submitted the ebay paperwork, they sent me a check for 1325 instead.

Plus a my PO i get all the latest gossip around town.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>503 Extra Services

4.0 Insured Mail
    4.2 Basic Information
    4.2.1 Description

d. Insured mail service provides the mailer with a mailing receipt. No record of insured mail is kept at the office of mailing. For mail insured for $200.00 or less, the USPS maintains delivery information (not including a signature) for a specified period of time. For mail insured for more than $200.00, the USPS maintains a delivery record (which includes the recipient's signature) for a specified period of time. Customers may obtain a delivery record by purchasing additional services; see 6.0 for details. >>

So basically for $201 and above you have to pay a fee if there is an issue rather than adding signature confirmation up front which you pay even if there is no problem.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

item 4.1.g:

can be insured. >>

Why are you telling them there are coins in there?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

We used to have clerk that always said "Why Registered? You don't need that! What's in here?"

After a while, I figured out the best answer was "because the boss said so."
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A month or so ago I had a package addressed to a coin shop.

Her "What's in it?"
    Me "A personal gift"
    Her "What kind of gift?"
    Me "Personal"
    Me "You don't have to know what's inside. Give me my $100 insurance and pick on someone else today Patty."

I whippped out my cell phone, shot a picture of the insured package and said,"If I have a problem I won't be coming to you."

Great post agentjim, I'll study up on that reg for next time. >>

Sounds like we all go to the same PO. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    I often thought what the hell is the difference what is inside? If I insure an empty package it is your job to get it there then you pay nothing.
  • Options

...when they ask you what's in the package just ask them WHEN ARE STAMPS GOING UP AGAIN? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe you might already know this, but I've been shipping packages for many years, insured and with signature delivery. Never ONCE in all those years did someone there point out that if you insure for more than $100 then it automatically requires a signature.

I just found that out this a month a ago in a slip of the tongue while at the PO, and I was mailing a package last week and they asked about signature confirmation and I mention the insurance signature and they just smiled on went on.

That clued me in that they don't WANT you to know so they don't tell you. Don't ask, don't tell. Beware! >>

They raised the signature to over $200 recently.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

<< <i>I often thought what the hell is the difference what is inside? If I insure an empty package it is your job to get it there then you pay nothing. >>

Because some things are verboten like guns, ammunition, drugs, hazardous chemicals; stuff like that.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I often thought what the hell is the difference what is inside? If I insure an empty package it is your job to get it there then you pay nothing. >>

Because some things are verboten like guns, ammunition, drugs, hazardous chemicals; stuff like that. >>

Which is why clerks are only authorized to ask: Does this package contain any liquid, fragile, perishable or hazardous material? And only in the case where the answer is yes, you must be prepared to be able to justify that your mailing is compliant with the terms of the DMM(Domestic Mailing Manual). Otherwise, the contents of a package are none of a postal clerk's business. No exceptions. I made a point long ago to know the sections of the DMM that would affect my mailings, and I have never been refused service, even when mailing hazardous materials, because the clerks I have dealt with in many different stations know that I know the DMM better than they do. Do you really expect that a union postal employee making $20+ per hour has ever taken the time to review the DMM? LOL!

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard that before a few times, and told them to look it up.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    "bookmarked."

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A month or so ago I had a package addressed to a coin shop.

Her "What's in it?"
    Me "A personal gift"
    Her "What kind of gift?"
    Me "Personal"

Great post agentjim, I'll study up on that reg for next time. >>

I simply reply "nothing liquid, hazardous, dangerous or flammable. That answers all of the questions you are required to ask, right?"

Their answer has always been "yes". Now I do mostly postage over the Interweb, so the human curiousity factor is removed.
  • Options

<< <i>However, for express mail only (para. 4.2.c):

Domestic Mail Manual Chapter 609 >>

This is correct! Express mail cannot be insured for coins/bullion valued over $15.
  • Options

<< <i>They never ask me what I am shipping they just ask if it fragile or a liquid. But its good to know just in case... >>

Occasionally they will ask about contents. I argured but was told they have the right to ask under new "Homeland Security" rules. I just reply, "well comrade, I'm shipping jewelry." Doesn't matter what you tell them, if and when it comes time to file an insurance claim there is no documentation on what you told them at the time of shipping.

• Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

Thx agent good info.Wrote in down in my red book.
  • Options

item 4.1.g:

can be insured. >>

...could you give some examples of what in particular might be accepted as far as "collectors newsletters and trade

papers?" thanks. image
  • Options

<< <i>

item 4.1.g:

can be insured. >>

...could you give some examples of what in particular might be accepted as far as "collectors newsletters and trade

papers?" thanks. image >>

Collectors newsletters or trade papers could be a magazine such as Coin Values or even a current Red Book
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

item 4.1.g:

can be insured. >>

papers?" thanks. image >>

Collectors newsletters or trade papers could be a magazine such as Coin Values or even a current Red Book >>

...seems to me their insurance agent MAY want to contest something like that but i could be wrong. seems a little

too easy, especially when trying to settle a claim. i would hope i'm overly cautious. hopefully i'll be spared

the ordeal. so far i have been. image
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    These are all they ever ask me:

Does this package contain any liquid, fragile, perishable or hazardous material
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    I may have to test this one. I won a few thousand dollars of coins from a recent Heritage auction. Allegedly, the USPS dropped a card in my mailbox that they attempted delivery on the 2nd. I never got the card, and when I went to the PO on Saturday, they had no record of anything. As of this morning, the tracking info still says "Attempted delivery on Oct 2" I wrote to Heritage...
    Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options

<< <i>I may have to test this one. I won a few thousand dollars of coins from a recent Heritage auction. Allegedly, the USPS dropped a card in my mailbox that they attempted delivery on the 2nd. I never got the card, and when I went to the PO on Saturday, they had no record of anything. As of this morning, the tracking info still says "Attempted delivery on Oct 2" I wrote to Heritage... >>

...please let us know what happens!! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file