Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What cutbacks have you done in this economy to stimulate more disposable income for your coin budget

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
A bit OT but what occurred this week got me thinking this might make for a good thread image

The Story:

So earlier this week I decided to stop into my Dentist's office to see if I could possibly get my 6 month cleaning prior to the end on the month. It's a large facility which is normally swamped and I figured chances are slim to none. I was surprised that they where eager to do it on the spot or offer me any time frame the next day between 11am to 4pm or even evening hours. I scheduled for the next day and upon the check-up by my dentist check-up it was mentioned that I needed a new filling on an old cavity. Again I was mentioned that we could do it right now and when I mentioned I was short on time and needed to reschedule I was given the option of the next day 10am - 3pm or evenings. So since I spent 3 days in the dentist office I noticed that it was a baron wasteland. It was quite apparent that folks aren't getting their teeth fixed in this economy...

and I was wondering what other cutbacks might be occurring image

Edited To Add: I was tempted to refer to myself as Mr. Broadstruck telling my tale as a third entity but elected not to! image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Not cutting back. Expanding actually.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I charge all bank deposits a fee of 15%.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dentist is still booked about 3-4+ months out. Cleaning/cavities/etc.
    I don't have the next day luxury image

For coins, I have still spent some "disposable" income to get some coins that I wouldn't have/shouldn't have, but I wanted.
    I have cut back from what I may have done 2-3 years ago if I were after the same ones (ie.....there are currently 3-4 that I want for our 1/2 cent collection, but, the ones I want are $2000-$6000. I may have purchased a couple of them 2-3 years ago but right now, I am holding off since I have spent enough of that income on a new roof/4 years of GET program for my son...bulk buy of 2+ years/new patio areas (stamped concrete)/new hot tub/and getting my bathrooms remodeled.....previously, I still would have purchased some of the coins)

I do, judging by ebay and some of the coins shows/shops, think that the economy has impacted many "normal levels" of coin purchases though.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cut back on some things, Like going out to dinner I'll go out 2 or 3 times a week now, Buying coins I don't buy as many only if it's a good one at the right price. I change a little. I do see that alot of Co's are going the extra mile to service you and if you pay CASH they are all over you.. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I've tried to cut back on 'over-paying' for coins. Not sure yet how successful it has been for I haven't tried selling any of them yet. image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I change a little. I do see that alot of Co's are going the extra mile to service you and if you pay CASH they are all over you.. image >>

Oh yeah I've noticed Gas Station's going far greater then .15c a gallon less for Cash.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I make 18th century furniture reproductions and now buy cherry/walnut/maple boards shorter than eight feet as the price drops by 50%.

Wood is as expensive as uncirculated Seated Liberty Half dollars in PCGS holders.
    Tom

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since losing my job I have spent more on coins than ever before. Mainly funded by selling other coins in the collection.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Longacre knows what Broadstruck is saying. image

I am actually making more purchases and taking advantage of (what seems like) lower prices for good and services. We just bought several rooms of new furniture, and some other things. Longacre is also an obsessive saver, having grown up dirt poor. Mrs. Longacre, on the other hand, is a free spender (having grown up fabulously wealthy), although Longacre's parents saved what meager funds they had and are now living comfortably, while Mrs. Longacre's parents kept spending and spending at massively excessive levels, and had to file for bankruptcy two years ago.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any cutbacks in my household are related to and fully absorbed by having to start paying college tuition bills. Coin budget is derived from a fraction of coin-related income, and that's about it.
  • Options
    I refinanced my house to 3.7%, so the monthly payment is now nominal. I formerly taught school evenings to get $ for coins. Now I have the luxury of not teaching as my military reserve retirement has kicked in. So I always have plenty of money for coins. If you call 1-800-dentist you can get a same day appointment locally.
    Here's to it and to it again.
    If you don't do it when you get to it,
    You'll never get to it to do it again.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No change. However, not as much expenditure on coins since there are no coin shows in this area. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stopped buying Eagles superbowl hats.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    My boss is trying to save me money. I'm having trouble getting a 3 day weekend off to take my son to Carmel to play golf. Green fees at Pebble, Spanish bay, and one other course (TBNL) will run us about 1.5 gold eagles. --jerry
  • Options
    I've tried to temper my coin buying......no luckimage
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Longacre & Broadstruck. We have chosen not to participate in the recession or downturn or whatever. When you don't have house, car or credit card payments, your buck goes a lot further. It has created some great buying opportunities, and I try to jump on them when I can. Now if I could get Realone, Barndog & MrHalfdime to stop buying Capped Bust Half Dimes, my life would be complete. image
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I.ve accumulated quite a bit of 90% silver but I have to sell it to make a profit right?image
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A bit OT but what occurred this week got me thinking this might make for a good thread image

The Story:

So earlier this week I decided to stop into my Dentist's office to see if I could possibly get my 6 month cleaning prior to the end on the month. It's a large facility which is normally swamped and I figured chances are slim to none. I was surprised that they where eager to do it on the spot or offer me any time frame the next day between 11am to 4pm or even evening hours. I scheduled for the next day and upon the check-up by my dentist check-up it was mentioned that I needed a new filling on an old cavity. Again I was mentioned that we could do it right now and when I mentioned I was short on time and needed to reschedule I was given the option of the next day 10am - 3pm or evenings. So since I spent 3 days in the dentist office I noticed that it was a baron wasteland. It was quite apparent that folks aren't getting their teeth fixed in this economy...

and I was wondering what other cutbacks might be occurring image

Edited To Add: I was tempted to refer to myself as Mr. Broadstruck telling my tale as a third entity but elected not to! image >>

First, given that your DDS doesn't have much business, you should have asked him for a minimum %15 percent discount. I'm very serious, not kidding at all. Supply and demand in its most classic and real world sense. You have his manhood in an economic vice and you should have started turning the handle. I did it with my DDS and got an immediate $400. discount on a crown about six months ago.

As for ways to find coin money.....we're saving almost $10,000 a year on tuition now that our kid is in college. High school tuition was over 10k more than college tuition. That's not counting his scholarships.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped paying a mortgage to spend more dough on coins.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A bit OT but what occurred this week got me thinking this might make for a good thread image

The Story:

and I was wondering what other cutbacks might be occurring :HMMMM

My wife broke a tooth and just had a 5500 dollar implant, the oral surgeon waited until she was under meds to say she needed to have some bone graph thing at an extra cost of 500 dollars, and to top that he charged another 800 for something a few weeks later. I am still miffed.

My son needed his wisdom teeth removed and i called 5 different dentist to try to get a ball park price, noone would even attempt to give a price with out a visist of 80 to 200 bucks. (ended up costing 1650)

My wifes dentist wanted 9k to fix some of my teeth, i found a dentist in weatherford tha did all the same for 1250 bucks. He was no FRILLS but i survived.

Now that all my money has gone to dentist, what has changed in this economy?? I have more duplex vacancies that i have ever had in the last 20 years. I am losing 5k a month on that but my side work has picked up more than double so i am ahead. I actually lowered the rent to fix my vacancies, but the taxes have no gone down to match.

I CHANGED MY CABLE COMPANY, changed electric providers, did away with the multiple home phones no one ever used, canceled this and changed that. We got meaner and leaner on everyday stuff that we should have done years ago.

I am still buying coins although i do not buy many flippers anymore. I used to buy a coin just to have it for a while to look at and study and send it down the road. I do not buy that way much anymore. I mainly just buy what i need for my core collection

Edited To Add: I was tempted to refer to myself as Mr. Broadstruck telling my tale as a third entity but elected not to! image >>

Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    My coin money comes from what I can swipe out of my honey's purse. If I dont keep it stocked I aint got no coin money image
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Longacre knows what Broadstruck is saying. image

I am actually making more purchases and taking advantage of (what seems like) lower prices for good and services. We just bought several rooms of new furniture, and some other things. Longacre is also an obsessive saver, having grown up dirt poor. Mrs. Longacre, on the other hand, is a free spender (having grown up fabulously wealthy), although Longacre's parents saved what meager funds they had and are now living comfortably, while Mrs. Longacre's parents kept spending and spending at massively excessive levels, and had to file for bankruptcy two years ago. >>

What he said for me, not the bankruptcy.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    Food. Water is still free...
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinosaurus not have great disposable income to begin with. Caveman pension not pay a lot. Coinosaurus beat household family budget to eat more beans and less steak. Coinosaurus son also have to hunt own food with pointed stick. Even Coinosaurus have to quit Caveman Lodge. Coinosaurus now more content and have extra dollars to buy shiny metal objects.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I'm in Michigan, and let's see, most are broke, jobless, and are either in foreclosure or living in a box. The streets are littered with bank owned homes for sale and my good neighbors are all moving outta state. Me, I'm a survivor, I've made some adjustments, paid everything off, dumped my extras and in reality could buy back at 50%. Today I'm doing a bit of work, and taking smoke breaks with a former stripper that's scared half to death. That is a long story but I expect it'll hit the national news once it leaks out...

Edit: This thread reminded me of another cutback I gotta make. My home has 2 furnaces and 2 AC units. I just realized I've been paying $26 a month for having 2 gas meters and my new HVAC guy said I really only needed 1, so time to cut the extra meter...Let's see, $13 a month X 156 month...shoulda done it sooner...image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file