Home U.S. Coin Forum

So my 8 yr old daughter has homework.....

So my 8 yr old daughter has homework..... it is a mtah problem, explain how you can make 82 cents using 8 different coins. My daughter asks me for help.

So I tell her to write the following:

(2) quarters
(1) 20 cent piece
(4) half cents
(1) dime

I am sure she will not get credit, but then I will go and educate the educator.

My wife just rolled her eyes and said you are such a nerd, then I told her remember you had to have me.

Comments

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember having a discussion about that very type of question in the sixth grade, I used 2 and 3 cent coins in my equations for answers. Then I had to explain to the educator about the usage of said coins, and that they were used even in my grandfather's era.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • I think that's a great answer! Why not provide your daughter with copies of the appropriate pages from a coin publication (or have her make them), so that she is armed with evidence when she turns in her assignment?image
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another you could use:

(2) two cents
    (1) 3 cents
    (2) half dimes
    (2) 20 cents
    (1) quarter
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 half dollar
    2 cents
    4 half dimes
    1 dime

Although in elem, they teach current coinage. (but make no mention of past coinage)

The educator may educate you back on this point.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's clever, but I also would imagine it would be quite apparent that your daughter did not do her own homework. This might not help her in the eyes of her teacher.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• << <i>It's clever, but I also would imagine it would be quite apparent that your daughter did not do her own homework. This might not help her in the eyes of her teacher. >>

Good point, Tom. In that case, as a compromise, how about having her present a current coinage and a separate, obsolete coinage answer?. Perhaps she will earn extra credit.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 quarter
    5 dimes
    1 nickel
    1 2 cent piece
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> explain how you can make 82 cents using 8 different coins.

>>

Well if you're the US mint it would cost just about "8" half
    dollar coins to make (mint) 82 pennies. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It's a clever answer but she'll probably get a dose of grief from her teacher about those "fantasy" coins like the half-cent and 20 cent piece.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • I hope you were advising her to use U.S. coins , as we must follow rule #6
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that's a great answer! Why not provide your daughter with copies of the appropriate pages from a coin publication (or have her make them), so that she is armed with evidence when she turns in her assignment?image >>

...ditto! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's clever, but I also would imagine it would be quite apparent that your daughter did not do her own homework. This might not help her in the eyes of her teacher. >>

We actually used her current coinage example, and then I added an additional methodology. LOL
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with others about making sure this is her homework, and not pushing it too far otherwise ... however I think providing a current and obsolete answer is outstanding!

It can be done with totally obsolete denominations too ... 4 20c and 4 1/2c

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with others about making sure this is her homework, and not pushing it too far otherwise >>

Good lord, now I have you guys helping me raise my kids. I was just making a fun note to a group of folks with common interests. If you are all worried about my daughters education, I will provide my paypal link and you deposit into her continuing education fund.

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    My answer:

Two cents
    Two nickels
    Two dimes

... two 25 cent california gold fractionals ...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file