Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Wayne Gretzky Registry Thread

Post anything your looking for, have available or are looking to upgrade. Or just show off your collection of "The Great One".
There are a bunch of different registry sets so hopefully this thread will help some collectors add some cards!

Here's what I need for my basic O-Pee-Chee set:

1986 O-PEE-CHEE WAYNE GRETZKY #3 (PSA 9)
1989 O-PEE-CHEE WAYNE GRETZKY 156 (PSA 10)
1990 O-PEE-CHEE WAYNE GRETZKY 120 (PSA 10)
1991 O-PEE-CHEE WAYNE GRETZKY 321 (PSA 10)
1992 O-PEE-CHEE WAYNE GRETZKY 15 (PSA 10)

If you have any of these for sale, please email me @ jeffrey.betts@directbrands.com. Thanks!

Comments

• gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I have a very sharp psa 7 1979 opc Gretzky RC for sale for $579 delivered.
    Pm or gregmo32 for questions...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for starting this thread. There are a lot of cool Gretzky items out there that I hope people will share.

BTW, you shouldn't have too much trouble locating a 1986 OPC PSA 9. They come up on ebay quite regularly and if memory serves, sell for $45-60.
  • Scarlem21Scarlem21 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    Paying top dollar for the cards I still need. I also have an extra PSA 9 '84-'85 O-Pee-Chee Gretzky #243 available if anybody needs one.

• How much are you looking to get for the 84 Gretzky #243?
    PM sent on the 1984 OPC #243 Gretzky PSA 9.
  • cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Long overdue thread.

I will post some pics occasionally as well as available items and want lists.

Here is one of the shiny Gretzky's I like.

Thanks,
    Chris

Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
    Hey Scarlem21, did you buy this??

1986 OPC Gretzky PSA 9 $221.48
    I was the high bidder on that card at $60.00 with 24 seconds remaining in the auction. Bidding went crazy on this card in the last 10 seconds and finished at $221.00. I was shocked to say the least (especially on a poorly centered PSA 9). I would never pay that much for that card but I guess someone REALLY wanted it.
    Yeah, that was a REEEALLY crazy price. I remember an '85 bringing that sometime back but I can't remember an '86 bringing over $100-$125.
    Here are some 1980s Gretzkys I had graded this year. They look MUCH better in slabs. (I don't have access to the pop report but I HOPE these are pretty low.)

The Semic stickers, I believe, are not part of the set registry (but they sell so infrequently anyway).

Don't know why the '87 only drew a 6. And the '85 must have been cut too short.
  • cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Love those cards & stickers Mike.

This is quite an item.

Gretzky OPC PSA 8 pack
    Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
    Good stuff guys! Can anyone help me out with the cards I have listed in my OP? Please email me @ jeffrey.betts@directbrands.com if you can help. Thanks!
  • The '86 Gretzky OPC #3 doesn't show up for sale very often despite having a fairly high pop. Too bad, I just got rid of all my cards in PSA holders and had every Gretzky main player card from his rookie year up to 1990 in a 9 holder or better but I wasn't registered on this forum when I sold all the cards. I have the '86 Gretzky in a BGS 9 holder and I'm upgrading my Gretzky cards to gem mint so it's available but obviously its residing in a BGS holder is the first problem. The second problem is that it's a sheet cut. Also, I have a 1980 O-Pee-Chee Gretzky #250 in an SGC holder with a 96 (9) mint designation if anyone's interested. The SGC card is a beautiful example. Please PM me if you have interest and I will provide pictures.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards/sticker redheart, love theose box bottoms..I am a Gretzky junkie also but mostly magazine covers and stickers are what I have left.
    83 Topps Stickers = impossible..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

I am in agreement that a Gretzky thread is long overdue. I collect the Gretzky topps and opc basic sets, but I am focusing more and more on collecting his box bottom cards in high grades.

More images will follow when they get back from PSA. If anyone wants to part with high grade Gretzky box bottoms, please let me know.

Thanks,

Nathaniel
  • @Frozencaribou
    What method do you use to cut the box bottoms?
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.

<< <i>
    What method do you use to cut the box bottoms? >>

After destroying box bottoms for years by using inadequate methods (scissors, exacto knives) I have finally settled on equipment usually used on fabric. I use a fiskars rotary wheel using a fabric mat as a base. I use a arcylic ruler to situate the card for cutting, and usually I get a straight cut with minimal concern for error.

I don't mind sharing, as it is difficult to find mint box bottoms anyway, and even if cards are cut to PSA specs, there is a 50% chance they will still come back "NO: Authentic".

Hope this helps with your Ripken collection.

-FC
    That's a really nice '86 Topps BB. If anyone's curious, I bought all my BBs years ago and they were already cut. Guess I got lucky. (At least on a few).
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    That is a thing of beauty , wow............. Nice job
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    Thanks for the compliments on the Gretzky 86 topps box bottom. I will post more box bottoms in a week or so...

But shifting gears, let's talk Gretzky opc rookies. Hard to imagine a more subjectively graded major rookie card out there. Rough cuts, registration issues, prints spots, fish eyes, snow on the surface, and of course, reprints.

Here are three of mine. I prefer a perfectly focused image to just about everything else. My favorite of the three is the SGC 92.

-FC

What is the bottom line about the various printings of the OPC Gretzky rookie? (1st run, 2nd run, one has printing lines, one doesn't, one is supposedly more scarce, etc etc.)

I've read different accounts over the years (usually as part of a sales pitch) but is there anything that we KNOW to be true?

Nice rookies, BTW!
    I think the Gretzky o-pee-chee rookie is a perfect example of sellers using red herrings to increase desirability.

I don't care what print run the card comes from, even if you could pin down such a thing. Who is to say that the thin blue line on the back didn't come from the last part of the print run? Why does it matter? The fish eye on Gretzky's right shoulder appears on many examples, but the three examples I have shared all have the thin blue printing lines on the back and only two of the three examples have the right shoulder fish eye, so a person couldn't say it was an affliction of only a certain print run.

For those unfamiliar with the card, I would imagine the thin blue line and the right shoulder fish eye helped "authenticate" the card in comparison to the many reprints out there, but in my opinion all Gretzky reprints are easily identified with only minimal knowledge of the hobby. Maybe it helps explain why people gravitate towards the blue line version, though.

In my Gretzky rookie, I want a clear picture, good centering, and strong overall color. Many examples look washed out, and over 75% suffer from registration issues. I don't mind the fish eye, but I would prefer not to have it on the card, of course.

None of this is empirical, but o-pee-chee didn't keep records of this sort of stuff, so I would say whatever responses you get will be speculation, including my thoughts.

I just enjoy pursuing the card.

-FC
    As previously promised, my latest box bottom additions. They may be from 89 or 90, but they are tough!

1 of 2, 1 higher

1 of 2, none higher

1 of 1

1 of 1, none higher
    Great box cards; especially the '85. I truly believe box bottoms are underrated and undervalued with those kinds of grades.
  • I really enjoyed reading posts on this thread! I hope we'll see more in the future. I have Sean's Master Wayne Gretzky O-Pee-Chee set, Sean's master Wayne Gretzky set, and also, an extras set called sean-2 (master Gretzky OPC set). If anyone would like to do any trading from those sets, please e-mail me @ seanmckay88@shaw.ca
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

.... If anyone wants one? I have 9 left:

.... 1996 Upper Deck Authenticated Memorabilia Wayne Gretzky National Hero 3 1/2" x 5" Die Cut (like a ticket!)

.... Serial Numbered in a 4" x 6" screw down plastic holder, supplied by Upper Deck.

.... These cards are in perfect shape and are really cool, especially if you love Gretzky!

.... Just $1 each, plus $2.26 postage (... and I'll pay for a bubble mailer! Since I got a trillion of them! LOL!)

.... First come First Served! ( p.s. I also have similar amounts of Dan Marino & Michael Jordan National Hero Die Cuts, LMK!)

.... rd

.... RBDJR@YMAIL.COM

.... P.S. Happy holidays to all of you!

On a roll here...

Where are the big Gretzky collectors anyway? No post from the big guns.

• Very nice Box-Bottom!
  • Here's my latest Gretzky:

• DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Here is one of my favorite all time odd ball Gretzky items.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
    Great Vachon PSA 10. That's one of my favorite Gretzky cards by far. I've never seen the Campell's soup card. Looks like an early 90's item.

-FC
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    September 1997 Timeframe.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Thanks for the compliment on the Vachon-PSA 10. Here's a really rare sticker from a condition sensitive year:

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Here's my own Gretzky RC purchased from a fellow board member.

• what would a nice PSA 9 rookie be worth?

<< <i>what would a nice PSA 9 rookie be worth? >>

For an OPC, minimum $4000 though most likely in the ballpark of $4500-$5000. A PSA 9 Topps, probably around $1600-$2000.
    poolshark1999, very nice Vachon! Is it a Pop 1? (I was happy to get a PSA 9 for mine.)
  • RedHeart54, Thank-you very much! Yes, I was very fortunate to get this back in a 10! And yes, it's a 1 of 1 (for now). Sean.
  • Does anyone know where I might find a 1998 OPC Chrome #219 Gretzky refractor? I need it to complete my OPC Gretzky Registry set. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Don't know if there would be any interest but thought I'd ask before putting on ebay......make offer and we hopefully can make a deal.....al.

• Do you have any PSA 9 stickers from that year?
    I have a PSA 10 Patrick Roy #45 which I plan to put on ebay. al.
    The two Gretzky/Klima stickers have been sold...thanks Roy will be on ebay by the weekend. al.
  • Does anyone have a 1981 Gretzky Red Rooster LONG HAIR variation card? I'd love to own one of these! Even to see a pic would be cool!

<< <i>Does anyone have a 1981 Gretzky Red Rooster LONG HAIR variation card? I'd love to own one of these! Even to see a pic would be cool! >>

Is that one really that scarce? I know I've seen a picture of it before.
  • Yes, it's scarce! Gretzky had it yanked because he hated the picture! I have 10's of the 81 short hair, 1982, and 1984. I've collected these for quite a while now, and i've never even seen a picture of one! I know that Frank has one in the Gretzky master set, but he has no picture of it. I hope someone could post a picture of one, and then sell it to me! Sean.
    I swear I have a picture of that card somewhere. Years ago Beckett put out a magazine devoted to Gretzky and I think it's in there. I'll have to look this week.

The fact that I've seen the card attests to the fact that Gretz rather resembled Betty Thomas from her Hill Street Blues days.

• LOL! Now I really need to see the card! Hope you post it soon!
    This is the best I could do. It came from a page in the 1994 Wayne Gretzky pictorial biography.

Gretzky overdose!

• Thanks for posting that picture. I had honestly never seen one before! Don't blame him for getting his hair cut, and insisting on a new card! Wayne's World!