Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Counterfeit 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken FF error ??

2»

Comments

• Options
    That reminds me....I own one of the really good 1985-86 O-Pee-Chee Mario Lemieux counterfeits and it has the same diagonal halftone pattern on the reverse side. If I get a chance, I'll post it later next to an image of a real one.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem.
  • Options
    I sent it to my buddy to scan. Once I have it back, I'll make another 89 Fleer size up and weight them.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    jp1216jp1216 Posts: 38 ✭✭
    IF you get it back....

Again, I stand by this statement: IF this card is fake, it is the BEST fake I've seen.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    The fact the image is cropped is basically the end all to be all sign that the card is fake to me. Copyright symbols aside, those could easily be made to look smooth (not blurred) by recreating the card. Logos with trademark or copyright symbols were harder to fake back then because they were basically copied from the original, as photo manipulation software wasn't what it is today.

Forgot to add, I think the O's logo was created by taking the logo from some other document and adding a different (R) symbol beside it. Notice the shape of the white halo around the (R). It's oblong, like it was an attempt to add it on top of the image.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Just have a camera here at work so pics are not the best.

From the seller...IN 1989, THE NATIONAL EDUCATION ASSOCIATION, HERE IN WASHINGTON, D.C., MADE TRADING CARDS OF ALL 535 PEOPLE IN THE HOUSE & SENATE. THEY ONLY MADE 500 SETS FOR EACH POLITICIAN. This was the very first year that cards were made for all the politicians. Political sets were also made in 1991, 1993 and 1998. The back of these cards has biographical information on that politician. In 1989, I went around Capitol Hill gathering cards and might be the only person who kept them (and in near mint condition).

The print pattern (dots) is the same as the "counterfeit" one (displayed next to Ted). But the stripe in Ted is solid, no Dots vs. Dots in teh 89 Fleer one. These both have dots that go diagonally vs. horizontally on the "real" 1989 Fleer cards. Maybe the printer of these political cards made the "counterfeit" FF? I'll get some better scans/pics up when I can.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Seems like I remember stories about fake ones back in 1989 as well.

If the Griffey was faked there is no reason why this card could not be faked as well. I traded the first one I pulled for about 300 dollars worth of 1962's in 1989
  • Options
    1989 Fleer Griffey Counterfeited? I've never heard of that.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Me either, but someone mentioned earlier in thread that the griffey was a more likely candidate due to its value.