Home Sports Talk

Atlanta Braves Official 2010 Thread

Comments

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Braves starting to look over their shoulder? >>

I hope there is a pennant race, seriously. The Phils are playing good ball the last few weeks. We'll see if they can keep it up. It has to make the decision to trade Werth very difficult.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phillies may pickup another full game tonight.

Braves should be there by the end of the season, in my opinion, either as NL champs or a wildcard.

Long way to go yet, that's for sure.
    I just wanted to go on record tonight that I witnessed a first in the Braves game today. I saw Tommy Hanson successfully lay down a sac bunt. I've seen him try many times before, but he actually got it down tonight.. He'll never be a Mike Hampton with the bat, but at least its a start.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• I am a Braves fan but they would have done at least as well against Strasburg, zero runs, lol, disappointing not even scoring. Looking forward to better results rest of series.

<< <i>I am a Braves fan but they would have done at least as well against Strasburg, zero runs, lol, disappointing not even scoring. Looking forward to better results rest of series. >>

If you ask me, it feels like the beginning of a slide. Glaus isn't hitting anymore, McCann looks like an average hitting catcher this year, and Hanson has forgotten how to overpower hitters. Someone else other than Prado and Heyward have to get hot in the second half for the team to continue winning.

<< <i>SEVEN .............. GAME.................LEAD >>

What happened to that SEVEN GAME LEAD?
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew that the Phillies lack of runs wouldn't last the rest of the season and they are as hot as anyone in baseball right now. Being a fan of the game of Baseball, I want to see the neck and neck, every game will count down the stretch. I am ok with them on a winning streak now(maybe that means they will slide or come back down to reality come mid-late August! image If you asked me where I though the Braves would be at the end of July when the season started, I would have expected them to be 5-7 games back at this point and probably behind Philly and the Mets. It should be interesting!

<< <i>

What happened to that SEVEN GAME LEAD? >>

TWO... AND... A... HALF... GAME... LEAD....

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought in this lifetime I'd actually root for the Braves...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>

<< <i>

What happened to that SEVEN GAME LEAD? >>

TWO... AND... A... HALF... GAME... LEAD.... >>

Considering the Phillies were heavy pre-season favorites to repeat as NL East champs, I'm sure when the season began if someone said you could have a 2 1/2 game lead on July 30th, you'd have taken that in a second. It's been a crazy zigzag season...Phillies the first month looked like they were gonna blow the NL East away, then the Phillies sagged, then the Mets had a decent run, then the Braves caught fire, now the Phillies are bouncing back. Should be an interesting, entertaining rest of the season.

Hey, I'd wish your team "good luck" but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. image
  • In the words of T.I.

We ain't dead
    We and done

We ain't scared
    We ain't run

But still we stand
    No matter what people
    Here we are

We haven't lost our lead yet, don't get to happy about our downfall. Ankiel to the rescue!(?)
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Congrats to Chipper for scoring his 1500th run and for catching Eddie Mathews for 51st alltime in career total bases!

imagey
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    The homer tonight was #435, which moved him off of a tie with Juan Gonzalez and leaves him 3 back of Andre Dawson.
    1 Game Lead. Yikes! The Phillies seem to have inherited some of the magic that the Braves enjoyed before the break. Seems like whenever they are losing, there is a crazy 9th inning rally that always carries them through. And they certainly won't be any worse when Utley comes back. We need to start another winning streak TODAY.

• bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I'm pulling for the Braves, but I think its gonna be tough to hold off the Phil Yankees.
    Kyle Farnsworth is a LOSER.

I also wanted to vent about a play in the Astros/Braves game last night. 2 outs, runner on 3rd and Braves pitcher Mike Minor at the plate. Minor laces a hard single into right, but its aimed directly at Hunter Pence, who quickly relays the throw to first and beats Minor by a half step. Rare to see a right fielder throw someone out at 1st, but whatever. My problem is that the Astros 1B was standing directly behind first base awaiting the throw. Minor noticed this and had to slow down as he approached first base, or else he would have plowed into the first baseman. The guy was clearly impeding the base itself and the base path. The umpire didn't blink an eye.

Raw Dawg did it again.

<< <i>Raw Dawg did it again. >>

It certainly wasn't pretty, but it's a W....and a Phillies LOSS! image We'll take it! Nice to see Glaus go yard too.
  • Nice comeback, hope Chipper is alright.
  • Chipper tore his acl. Not good, he has been on a tear. We need Prado back asap now.

Hope this isn't the end to Chipper's career but I am assuming it probably will be. See ya in Cooperstown in 5 years if it is the end.

imagey
  • I am sure he wanted to be a big part of Managers last team.
    Knowing that he has been considering retirement for a while, a Chipper-less Braves was becoming a reality soon...but considering how well they have done this year and what may be to come, you've got to hate it for him if the last play of his HOF career is this!!! Even though his overall stats are down from his "normal" numbers, he had a hot bat the last few weeks. Ok Braves fans, what now? Conrad as an everyday 3rd baseman? Move Prado there when he comes back? Make a trade and give away some of those future stars?? I know nothing about the guy who plays 3rd for Gwinett(Wes Timmons)... is that even an option??? I'm sure Frank and Bobby have something in the cards!

<< <i>Knowing that he has been considering retirement for a while, a Chipper-less Braves was becoming a reality soon...but considering how well they have done this year and what may be to come, you've got to hate it for him if the last play of his HOF career is this!!! Even though his overall stats are down from his "normal" numbers, he had a hot bat the last few weeks. Ok Braves fans, what now? Conrad as an everyday 3rd baseman? Move Prado there when he comes back? Make a trade and give away some of those future stars?? I know nothing about the guy who plays 3rd for Gwinett(Wes Timmons)... is that even an option??? I'm sure Frank and Bobby have something in the cards! >>

Conrad definitely is not an everyday player. IMO, the logical move is to put Prado back at 2nd when he returns. He is the best 2B in the NL this year, remember? Upon Prado's return, Infante shifts over the 3rd and plays everyday. I honestly think that Infante was the heir apparent at 3B anyway. He's proven he can play everyday and he deserves first shot at the starting 3B job.

• << <i>Knowing that he has been considering retirement for a while, a Chipper-less Braves was becoming a reality soon...but considering how well they have done this year and what may be to come, you've got to hate it for him if the last play of his HOF career is this!!! Even though his overall stats are down from his "normal" numbers, he had a hot bat the last few weeks. Ok Braves fans, what now? Conrad as an everyday 3rd baseman? Move Prado there when he comes back? Make a trade and give away some of those future stars?? I know nothing about the guy who plays 3rd for Gwinett(Wes Timmons)... is that even an option??? I'm sure Frank and Bobby have something in the cards! >>

Hey at least his last play made web gems.

And I wouldn't be surprised if infante stayed at second and prado made the shift third.

imagey
  • chipper is a class guy and a future HOF for sure. I hope he comes back, i'd hate to see him go out this way!
    Raw Dawg strikes again!

• << <i>Raw Dawg strikes again! >>

I do not get this. The dude is just playing over his head in big spots this year. I'm not complaining though!

imagey

<< <i>

<< <i>Raw Dawg strikes again! >>

I do not get this. The dude is just playing over his head in big spots this year. I'm not complaining though! >>

I've been watching the Braves pretty consistently since about '84 and I can't remember them ever having such a consistent homerun hitter, who isn't an everyday starter. The "HR" off the bench is something I think Bobby has always lacked, even though they've tried and failed many times. Seems there is an endless list of 1-2 yr. players who failed at pinch hitter for Altanta- Caminiti, Bobby Bonilla etc. etc.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Raw Dawg strikes again! >>

I do not get this. The dude is just playing over his head in big spots this year. I'm not complaining though! >>

I've been watching the Braves pretty consistently since about '84 and I can't remember them ever having such a consistent homerun hitter, who isn't an everyday starter. The "HR" off the bench is something I think Bobby has always lacked, even though they've tried and failed many times. Seems there is an endless list of 1-2 yr. players who failed at pinch hitter for Altanta- Caminiti, Bobby Bonilla etc. etc. >>

He is a hell of a lot better than Greg Norton, thats for sure.

imagey
    Another series win at the Ted!!! image 3 out of 4 from Dodger Blue! Hanson looked great tonight, too bad he got another no decision, but obviously the win is most important. Let's get ready for those pesky Nats!!!

• Nice comeback last night.
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Nice comeback last night.

I almost changed the channel in the 9th, instead a cracked another cold one and put on my rally cap... glad i did
  • Derrek lee to the braves deal expected to be finalized any minute.

imagey
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Derrek lee to the braves deal expected to be finalized any minute. >>

Sigh. Derrek's a local kid. I hoped the Giants would make a move for him.

Nope. Giants traded for Jose Guillen instead.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    News out of Atlanta is that Lee will be the everyday 1B, while Glaus is headed to the DL. CNNSI claims Glaus' knee has gotten to the point where he needs time off. Without knowing how bad Glaus' knee was, I actually assumed that Prado would stay at 2B and that Glaus might move to third. Not going to happen though.

The final 3 game series between PHI and ATL in Atlanta is going to be a good one. The loser will probably still win the wildcard, but that series will likely determine who wins the division. I would love for Bobby to go out with another NL east crown.

-Michael

Woo Hoo...the J Hey Kid comes through. Yet ANOTHER walkoff RBI!!! image
    Braves seem to have alligator blood this season - can't get rid of them.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Who knew we had all these Braves fans?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Tommy Hanson's first ML pitch, taken on my cheap phone last season:

Chipper HR same game. I think Chipper had 2HR's, a double, and intentional walk, just happend to get the first HR on my phone:

Well....I guess a 9 run lead is not safe, huh?? WOW! That was terrible! image
    I am speechless.

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Well....I guess a 9 run lead is not safe, huh?? WOW! That was terrible! >>

Giants almost did the same thing to the Reds today. Down 10-1, the Giants hacked their way back and took the lead in the 8th, but the Reds tied it in the 9th and won in the 12th.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Had a chance to add some distance with Philly getting swept, at home no less. Obviously should have added at least one game to lead.
    image They were never in the game tonight!
  • Nice comeback.
  • wow no posts in september.

Well, need to close this season out with a couple wins to get the wild card.

Let's go Braves.

imagey
    ugggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Disappointing effort, aside from Lee, in important game. May have been different if Conrad makes a better throw. 100
  • At least we get another game, maybe more, first time I recall hoping for a win by the Giants.