Home Sports Talk
Options

Atlanta Braves Official 2010 Thread

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
Because I was getting tired of posting Braves love and Phillies smack over on Stevek's thread, here is the Official 2010 Braves thread. Today, ATL took over first place from their NL east rival. Here's hoping the momentum continues and we can send Bobby out with another division title (or better). FIRST PLACE!! Woo-hoo!!

-Michael
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy it while ya can because the Phillies will win the NL East.

So the Phillies only win it by say 5 or 10 games, rather than say 10 or 20 games...that's fine.
  • Options

<< <i>Enjoy it while ya can because the Phillies will win the NL East.

So the Phillies only win it by say 5 or 10 games, rather than say 10 or 20 games...that's fine. >>

Well, as of 1 hour ago, you're winning it by -0.5 games. Before the season began, I had the Phils pegged as a lock for the NL East and I was hoping Atlanta could fight their way into the Wildcard. But now, I don't think the back half of the Phils rotation is good enough to win the division. Joe Blanton and Kyle Kendrick don't belong in that rotation. They will weigh the team down until you guys trade for a replacement later in the season. The Braves rotation is solid 4 deep. The Phils rotation is solid 2 deep with an occasional good outing from Jamie Moyer.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    The braves have room to get better still.
    Escobar is just starting to get some hits,
    Mclouth has sucked,
    Chipper is has been getting on base but has no pop left,
    Mccann still below career norms,
    Jurrjens out.
    Melky....

We get all these parts going and we are gonna be legit.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Agreed. Look, we know Melky is going to be a weak link on this team.. no one is expecting anything but mediocrity out of him. But McCann has to play better. As of now, Prado and Heyward are carrying that team and Glaus had a nice May. To make a serious run, the McCann and McLouth of the last few years will have to surface at some point. The good news is that we have the best rotation in the division until the Phillies do so mid-season trading.

• Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I am just happy to see us in first place in June! I would love to see Bobby make one more post season run
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options

<< <i>I am just happy to see us in first place in June! I would love to see Bobby make one more post season run >>

Joey, I figured this thread would bring you out of hiding.

• Options
    We'll see if this thread is still chirpin' in September or not?

Actually, it's a bit more fun and entertaining to see a tight division race...that is as long as the Phillies finish first. image
  • Options
    i did not expect this to be a 2-1 game. Lowe has been fantastic his last 5 starts.

imagey
  • Options
    Chipper had some kind of injury to his finger today and is scheduled to miss a few games. Looks like Infante will be the everyday 3rd basemen for a while.

The Braves are about to find out how good they really are. Sure, they've beat up on the Pirates and the struggling Phillies the last few weeks, but their sched is about to get sick. Road trip to LAD then kick off interleague play with the Rays and the Twins (funny how the Braves always draw the best AL teams for interleague) then get 3 with Chi Sox and 3 more with KC. Atlanta has historically struggled during interleague play so we'll see if they can turn it around this year, despite the daunting schedule.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see this team of somewhat misfits bringing it together. Along with the players already mentioned, thank the bullpen too. Other than a few bad outings here and there, they have been awesome!
  • Options
    Last nights victory over LAD made it 9 wins in a row for Cox and the boys. I was looking at the rest of the national league and wondering how their record stacked up to other division leaders. Atlanta has the 2nd best record in the NL..........behind the Padres? If the Padres keep it going, that will be an interesting story line to follow. Winning with that payroll? Are they going to keep Adrian Gonzalez for the entire season even though they prob can't resign him for the next contract?

• Options
    Medlen with a great outing.

Some interesting stuff going on with the bullpen.
    1) moylan looking shaky lately
    2)saito goes out for the save last night but tweaks a hammy
    3) venters has been good. Should be able to fill in nicely should saito miss time.

imagey
  • Options
    O'Flaherty has done well also. The pirates got to him in the one game last week, but he has been great overall.
  • Options
    EOF is the man.

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>Medlen with a great outing.

Some interesting stuff going on with the bullpen.
    1) moylan looking shaky lately
    2)saito goes out for the save last night but tweaks a hammy
    3) venters has been good. Should be able to fill in nicely should saito miss time. >>

The great thing about Medlen (last year and this year) is that he is money whether he's in the rotation or coming out of the pen. I'm sure JS can't wait for Kawakami's contract to expire so they can put Medlen in the rotation permanently.

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    The Braves are definitely a surprise so far this year.

I'll be at the game tonight and rooting for my Dodgers. I'm sure it will be a good one. Really bummed I won't be seeing Chipper play tonight as that was one of the big reasons for picking tonights game.

brian
  • Options

<< <i>The Braves are definitely a surprise so far this year.

I'll be at the game tonight and rooting for my Dodgers. I'm sure it will be a good one. Really bummed I won't be seeing Chipper play tonight as that was one of the big reasons for picking tonights game.

brian >>

Brian- The Atlanta papers are all saying Chipper is going to go on the 15 day DL because of his finger so he'll be out for a while. However, tonights LAD game should be great b/c you're getting Billingsley vs. Hanson.

• Options
    I didn't see the game...but can someone tell me why Cox used Chavez in the 11th today????? image
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't see the game...but can someone tell me why Cox used Chavez in the 11th today????? image >>

Cox typically doesn't put a closer into a tie ball game, as you noticed today, but Wagner was up and throwing in the pen and could have been used. Diverging strategy from Torre who let Broxton pitch the 9th. Venters is money out of the pen. Moylan and Oflaherty were both used in the 8th, which only left 1 other reliable arm in the pen in Saito. Bobby's used him ALOT lately and must have felt he needed a day or two off. I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I saw Chavez come into the game.

I guess you can't complain about splitting a road series with the Dodgers, but taking 3 of 4 sure would have been nice, especially heading into interleague play.

-Michael

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braves are looking good...I don't despise them as much as Philly but maybe that's just because they haven't had that much success lately..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    In case anyone missed the Braves/Twins game or haven't watched Sportscenter, this was a great game. Phenomenal pitching on both sides. Then Bobby Cox called a suicide squeeze in the 9th and it worked to score the winning run. Classic stuff...

• Options
    It was a great ending. I only saw the last 3 innings...but the bullpen was solid again. And they said Lowe was fantastic. Hopefully I am taking my kids and my niece to see them when the Tigers come to Turner Field in 2 weeks. image
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    only got 2 things to say.... 1- Beat them Twins again!!! and 2- Heyward is vastly overrated. Good, but overrated...
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In case anyone missed the Braves/Twins game or haven't watched Sportscenter, this was a great game. Phenomenal pitching on both sides. Then Bobby Cox called a suicide squeeze in the 9th and it worked to score the winning run. Classic stuff... >>

A really fabulous ballgame. It looks like they're going to survive this brutal forced march of a road trip in pretty decent shape. Can't wait until the schedule starts tilting in their favor.
  • Options
    I was at the game, great one to watch except for the non stop drizzle.

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>I was at the game, great one to watch except for the non stop drizzle. >>

You live near Minneapolis? Funny that a Twins fan would mention the non-stop drizzle. I'll always think of them as a dome team. Not sure why they ever left that place.

• Options
    Great win Braves!!! We needed that!! That might be Minny's first series loss at Target..... Not looking forward to playing y'all next week tho.... Should be a solid series tho!! As long as we walk Glaus every time, we got a chance....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I was at the game, great one to watch except for the non stop drizzle. >>

You live near Minneapolis? Funny that a Twins fan would mention the non-stop drizzle. I'll always think of them as a dome team. Not sure why they ever left that place. >>

I live in Des Moines, drove up there to watch them play with a couple buddies, one a Twins fan the other Braves fan. I dont get a chance to see the Braves in person much so when they come close to Iowa, i try to get out there when i can.

imagey
  • Options
    Big game tonight against the Rays. Would be nice to take 2 of 3 here.

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>Big game tonight against the Rays. Would be nice to take 2 of 3 here. >>

Hudson is on the mound. He has been money this year. We better keep winning because the Metropolitans aren't going away.

• Options
    And where are all of the folks that were poo poo-ing the Glaus signing before the season now??? image
  • Options

<< <i>And where are all of the folks that were poo poo-ing the Glaus signing before the season now??? image >>

I agree. There is no doubt that the offensive load has been carried mainly by Glaus since about mid-May. I haven't checked the stats in a week or two, but Glaus was the NL's RBI leader as of last week. Glaus, Prado, and Heyward account for a staggering % of our runs and RBI's this year. If the 3 of them stay hot and McCann regains his form, I like this team's chances.

-Michael

• Options
    T minus 22 hours and counting until first pitch of Strasburg vs. Hudson in Atlanta.

• Options

<< <i>T minus 22 hours and counting until first pitch of Strasburg vs. Hudson in Atlanta. >>

All eyes on the Ted!!!! image
  • Options
    I was just thinking, and i seriously can't figure out who is more overrated- Strasburg or Heyward.... I think Heyward. I seriously can't see the draw and why everyone is so hot on him!! At least Stras has proven to be a bonafide ace thusfar. Maybe i'm just sore because i'm a Detroiter and our rookies (Jackson and Boesch) have better stats than many of the AllStar starters, yet get no press....
  • Options
    Still on a roll and now +3 on NYM and +5 on PHI. I commented earlier that in the two games I've been to this season, that this team felt special. I'm not saying its '91 special or '95 special, but their is definitely some electricity in the stadium for home games. If you live in the area and watch all the games on Sportsouth, drop in for a home game one night instead.

• Options
    For those not watching the game tonight, Chipper jacked a HR over the little-league depth fences in Phili off of Roy Hallday. With that shot, he moves past Cal Ripken on the all-time HR list.

• Options
    Congrats to Braves fans - I'm not saying it's over yet, but I've observed too many pennant races over the years not to see the obvious, and considering the various circumstances, it might be close to being over for the Phillies this season.

The Phillies are gonna have a tough time rebounding when they show little heart and spirit on the field to do what it takes to win. Sad to see complacency set in on the team ya root for, but I guess that's the way it goes in this era, and of course they'll always be 2008 to look back on.
  • Options
    This series with the mets should be interesting, some good pitching matchups.

imagey
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>Congrats to Braves fans - I'm not saying it's over yet, but I've observed too many pennant races over the years not to see the obvious, and considering the various circumstances, it might be close to being over for the Phillies this season.

The Phillies are gonna have a tough time rebounding when they show little heart and spirit on the field to do what it takes to win. Sad to see complacency set in on the team ya root for, but I guess that's the way it goes in this era, and of course they'll always be 2008 to look back on. >>

Your jedi mind tricks are useless here image
  • Options
    Chalk up another series win....what a way to end the 1st half of the season. Could there be some magic this year?? A sweep would be awesome(especially against that stinkin' Mets team!) image But we are all alone in 1st regardless of today's game! image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Braves are playing great ball.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I just want Hanson to have a good outing tonight. He has been very inconsistant all year. He needs to work on keeping his pitch counts down so he can go deeper in games.

imagey
  • Options
    Braves deserve it - I wasn't kidding before...based on the situation of the Mets always being unmotivated it seems, and the Phillies coming off a WS win and then a WS loss and just not having the juice this season to do what it takes to win...this NL East race is very close to being over...it may already be over. For sure, not debatable, it's the Braves NL East 2010 title to lose now, and the Braves seem hungry...they may just coast home by a large margin.
  • Options

<< <i>Braves deserve it - I wasn't kidding before...based on the situation of the Mets always being unmotivated it seems, and the Phillies coming off a WS win and then a WS loss and just not having the juice this season to do what it takes to win...this NL East race is very close to being over...it may already be over. For sure, not debatable, it's the Braves NL East 2010 title to lose now, and the Braves seem hungry...they may just coast home by a large margin. >>

That's very kind of you! image As much as I would love to say they are...I just don't think the Phillies are done yet. Too much talent on that team, both pitching and hitting! I am going to be very interested to see if they make any trades. That may tell us a lot about the rest of their season!
  • Options
    C'mon Stevek, don't give up yet. My Braves are playing great ball, but we just passed the all-star break... Anyone can close a 6 game gap over half a season....

I think the Braves still need 1 more OF upgrade to be complete. Definitely don't need any pitching though.

• Options
    SEVEN .............. GAME.................LEAD

• Options
    The Braves lost a game in the bottom of the ninth? I almost don't believe it. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>The Braves lost a game in the bottom of the ninth? I almost don't believe it. LOL >>

They've actually lost two of those the past week. Wagner blew a 2-run lead in the 9th earlier this week against the Padres. The Braves are basically playing .500 since the break, but no one else in the division is hot right now, so they're getting away with it. The big problem for the Braves down the stretch might be Tommy Hanson. I can't explain it, but he's just not the same pitcher he was last year. Last year, he was nothing short of dominant. This year, he has good stuff, but he's very hittable. With the way Hanson is throwing right now, the Braves only have 1 real ace in Hudson.

• Options
    Braves starting to look over their shoulder?