Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

can someone identify the date range for this PCGS holder? (Very important)

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a counterfeit coin and holder. What I need to know is, when was this holder type actually used by PCGS?

imageimage
When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a very recent version.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any holder that looks like that one, here. Note that the circular logo on the reverse is nothing Condor cites.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't see any holder that looks like that one, here. Note that the circular logo on the reverse is nothing Condor cites.
    Lance. >>

Lance: I checked that one before starting this thread; Condor's last post to the one you cite was almost 4 years ago, which is why I decided to start this one.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like a very recent version. >>

Wei: Please fill me in by how you can tell/suspect this. I'm looking for any evidence I can get as to the approximate manufacture range of this fake. PM me if you prefer.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a book called the book of slab varieties by Condor 101, published in 2003. PCGS listed varieties are 1-13. This slab is not listed, because no reverse matches, so it is after 2003. I do have some recent slabs that look like this so I would hazard a guess or 2009-2009. There is also a site if you search www.sampleslabs.com that may help.
    Hope this helps.

Tom

• Options
    The reverse of the slab looks "off" to me. I would not be sprised if that is a fantasy rev., ie. never used by PCGS.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not take the trolley ATS and ask Conder101 in person???
  • Options

<< <i>Why not take the trolley ATS and ask Conder101 in person??? >>

Blasphemer! Infidel Unbeliever!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why not take the trolley ATS and ask Conder101 in person??? >>

Blasphemer! Infidel Unbeliever! >>

Hey, its not like I want to build a mosque.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fake holder is a copy of a recent vintage PCGS holder. Seven years ago PCGS was putting the registry set number and coin number within the set on the label. PCGS stopped doing that. It also is after PCGS lost the ANA endorsement, which was around that time. I'd say that this holder is a copy of a style that is five years or less in age.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or is that one amazing looking counterfeit?
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it just me or is that one amazing looking counterfeit? >>

Scary enough there are better ones out there.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picture this scenario...

Some person(s) drop into a major show (FUN, ANA, Long Beach, Baltimore) with a dozen such counterfeit slab & coins. Coins such as the one in the OP or any coin in the area of $1500-$2500 Greysheet Ask. Avoiding the major dealers, heading to smaller guys toward the back. At each of these tables you toss out one or two of these slabs with the story, "These were my dad's coins, he paid $1000 each, I'd like to get that out of them". A con like that could net some serious cash. Fly into town, rent a car, 30 minutes at the show, back to the airport, poof gone.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options

<< <i>Picture this scenario...

Some person(s) drop into a major show (FUN, ANA, Long Beach, Baltimore) with a dozen such counterfeit slab & coins. Coins such as the one in the OP or any coin in the area of $1500-$2500 Greysheet Ask. Avoiding the major dealers, heading to smaller guys toward the back. At each of these tables you toss out one or two of these slabs with the story, "These were my dad's coins, he paid $1000 each, I'd like to get that out of them". A con like that could net some serious cash. Fly into town, rent a car, 30 minutes at the show, back to the airport, poof gone. >>

Dealers and collectors have to be more and more careful about what they buy and who they buy from. There is no way any single person can memorize all the different styles of slabs over the years. The sophisticated scammer might use real coins from a lower grade holder, put into a slightly higher grade fake holder, so even an expert on authenticating coins will only be partially protected.

If the fakes get good enough and numerous enough, this kind of stuff has the potential to wreck the market, especially the online collector-to-collector market, where there are very few experts with enough skill and experience to authenticate high quality fakes.

Another scenario might be to post buy-it-now fakes on eBay at 50% of greysheet price. High quality fakes in high quality fake slabs will likely be sold in a hour. If any are returned by the 2% of buyers that have authentication expertise, the seller can do the "consignment" song-and-dance, and try again at a different venue.

Be careful out there.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have been fooled

Anyone else ?
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>I would have been fooled

Anyone else ? >>

Not here. Something looks very wrong with the reverse of the slab especially.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

Anyone else ? >>

Best,
    Eric >>

But what about the COIN?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Anyone else ? >>

Best,
    Eric >>

But what about the COIN? >>

Hi Mark image

Well, I just got up. The scans are not great...the coin might look like a...what do you call it? Combined Obv and Rev? There was talk of some of those a while ago. I can't really see much. Its early and I am not in Columbo mode. image

Best,
    Eric

Edited to add - if I were offered this in person I'd pass just because the slab looks odd to me - maybe I am wrong.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very scary...
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else ? >>

I'm with you.

Tom

• Options

<< <i>I have a book called the book of slab varieties by Condor 101, published in 2003. PCGS listed varieties are 1-13. This slab is not listed, because no reverse matches, so it is after 2003. I do have some recent slabs that look like this so I would hazard a guess or 2009-2009. There is also a site if you search www.sampleslabs.com that may help.
    Hope this helps. >>

I have the same book. Checked it before starting the thread because it didn't give me any help... except that if it ever did exist it was after 2003.

I send a PM to Condor101... but I don't know if he's still posting here. Does anyone else?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a book called the book of slab varieties by Condor 101, published in 2003. PCGS listed varieties are 1-13. This slab is not listed, because no reverse matches, so it is after 2003. I do have some recent slabs that look like this so I would hazard a guess or 2009-2009. There is also a site if you search www.sampleslabs.com that may help.
    Hope this helps. >>

I have the same book. Checked it before starting the thread because it didn't give me any help... except that if it ever did exist it was after 2003.

I send a PM to Condor101... but I don't know if he's still posting here. Does anyone else? >>

He rarely posts here....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Perhaps no help but perhaps these other counterfeit slabs might shed some light on its origin: LINK
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received a 1921 AU58 Morgan yesterday that has the same reverse shown in your image Dennis.

But the obverse label says "Morgan" under the PCGS AU58 on it. That might not mean too much as when I looked they do not do that on all of them. But my last two coins seem to both have then same slab. Will post images for comparsion.
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Anyone else ? >>

Best,
    Eric >>

Would it have stood out to you if the OP didn't note that it was counterfeit? I too noticed that the back of the slab looked a little off, but in looking at the coin, I wouldn't have guessed from what I can see in the pics that it was bad. I would likely have discounted any discomfort I had about the slab because the coin looks so good. I guess I need to read and study more. Hopefully in hand I would not be fooled.

edited for grammer.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Hope this helps. >>

I send a PM to Condor101... but I don't know if he's still posting here. Does anyone else? >>

Conder101 was banned from the PCGS site several years ago, which is why you may want to go to the NGC site to ask him your question.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I believe this is a very recent slab type. Is the cert number for a real coin? I believe I have recieved SNs in the 117 series in the past couple of years (I grade thousands of moderns). --Jerry
  • Options
    To everyone who's wondering: The fake coin and slab were confirmed by an in-person visit to PCGS early this month. I took it down to them because in hand it looks blatantly and instantly wrong if you're familiar with what 1895-S in higher grades are supposed to look like (lustre, striking characteristics, and VAM diagnostics). It's the first counterfeit I've detected, and it was easy because I'm a Morgan collector with a serious weakness for 1895-S, and because I am a VAM enthusiast. Without those experience/skills, I'd most likely have been hosed.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To everyone who's wondering: The fake coin and slab were confirmed by an in-person visit to PCGS early this month. I took it down to them because in hand it looks blatantly and instantly wrong if you're familiar with what 1895-S in higher grades are supposed to look like (lustre, striking characteristics, and VAM diagnostics). It's the first counterfeit I've detected, and it was easy because I'm a Morgan collector with a serious weakness for 1895-S, and because I am a VAM enthusiast. Without those experience/skills, I'd most likely have been hosed. >>

If you didn't get hosed, how do you have it in your possession? --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't see any holder that looks like that one, here. Note that the circular logo on the reverse is nothing Condor cites.
    Lance. >>

Lance: I checked that one before starting this thread; Condor's last post to the one you cite was almost 4 years ago, which is why I decided to start this one. >>

Dennis, I checked a few slabs from submissions I did and I see many in 2009. E.g., on 7/9/09 I crossed a '93-S Morgan and it has the same slab. If a photo would help I'd be happy to oblige.

edited to add: Same slab, 5/9/08 (1909-S Lincoln), 11/18/08 (1934 Peace), 4/19/10 (1813 CBH)

Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Anyone else ? >>

Best,
    Eric >>

Would it have stood out to you if the OP didn't note that it was counterfeit? I too noticed that the back of the slab looked a little off, but in looking at the coin, I wouldn't have guessed from what I can see in the pics that it was bad. I would likely have discounted any discomfort I had about the slab because the coin looks so good. I guess I need to read and study more. Hopefully in hand I would not be fooled.

edited for grammer. >>

Hi,

Probably. Hopefully! Perhaps the font seems different on the lower hologram lettering with hindsight/OP's post. But I'd be wary because, overall, it just looks strange to me and with that date and mm I'd follow my gut.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    Lance: That would be helpful; thanks!
    Jerry: Where did I say it's still in my possession? I returned it to the seller and got a refund.

I'm trying to put together information for the U.S. Attorney's office so when they call back I can hopefully put them on the trail of where this coin and two others I strongly suspect (but haven't seen in person) are coming from.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    It would of got me if the coin looked right I probably wouldn't of
    even inspected the case. I guess I have just been lucky so far
    I need to get a heads up or I am going to get hurt.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

From those pics:

1) The font stood out at me first as being off
    2) The coin looks scary real
    3) The plastic holder itself looks scary real

Would be a bad day for some dealers if some scum had a pocketful of these at a major coin show. image

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From those pics:

1) The font stood out at me first as being off
    2) The coin looks scary real
    3) The plastic holder itself looks scary real

Would be a bad day for some dealers if some scum had a pocketful of these at a major coin show. image >>

The font is the big tell, looks like every other counterfeit holder I've seen.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But the obverse label says "Morgan" under the PCGS AU58 on it. That might not mean too much as when I looked they do not do that on all of them. But my last two coins seem to both have then same slab. Will post images for comparsion. >>

That's only going to appear on 1921s because Peace dollars were also made that year. Same with 1916-dated silver, 1938 nickels, etc.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realized that after I posted.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Dennis,

do you have coin/slab in hand? - the pics look like it actually has wear/nicks to a lower AU

• Options

<< <i>Dennis,

do you have coin/slab in hand? - the pics look like it actually has wear/nicks to a lower AU >>

As stated a few posts up, the coin was returned for a refund. The grade of the coin was pretty much right on, except it had also been wiped/cleaned/something.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Dennis,

do you have coin/slab in hand? - the pics look like it actually has wear/nicks to a lower AU >>

In his last post, he wrote: "Jerry: Where did I say it's still in my possession? I returned it to the seller and got a refund."

Edited to add: Oops, I see that he replied at the same time I did. image
  • Options
    Dennis, here's the one slabbed in Nov 2008.
    Lance.

imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file