Options

ATB hockey puck mintage capped at 500,000 for 2010

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
Coin World Online is reporting that the Mint says it expects to be
able to strike up to 500,000 of the five ounce silver ATB hockey pucks
by the end of the year. Division of the 500,000 by state will depend
on how many of each get ordered. Thus, the ugly Arkansas could be a
low mintage.
No word on pricing or when they will be released.
TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    These will most likely be released late in the year. I doubt the Mint will be able to get 500,000 out the door by the end of the year. BTW, the nickname is the "Coaster" if you want to be an insider.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the five coins in 2010, that averages about 100k each if struck equally. Could be interesting if struck to order by the distributors --
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so the mint is not going to sell these to us at all ? we have to go thru a bullion dealer to get them ? with that low mintage what is to stop these dealers from charging and arm and a leg ? i would sure like the mint to sell these directly to us. Will the bullion dealers beable to charge any price for these or do they have to follow a guideline? image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so the mint is not going to sell these to us at all ? we have to go thru a bullion dealer to get them ? with that low mintage what is to stop these dealers from charging and arm and a leg ? i would sure like the mint to sell these directly to us. Will the bullion dealers beable to charge any price for these or do they have to follow a guideline? image >>

Same distribution channel as the ASE's. If dealers overcharge, wait and buy them in the secondary market. At 100,000, they won't be particularly rare and it remains to be seen how popular they will be.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's a lot of silver, and they couldn't get enough 1oz blanks last year???

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The story about the shortage of blanks is a crock of bull puckey....... Not even the coin magazines believe it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Such a waste of silver....
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Such a waste of silver.... >>

What? What are you talking about? I guarantee you that when these coasters get remelted into something else, very little silver will be wasted.
  • Options
    with that low mintage what is to stop these dealers from charging and arm and a leg ?

This does pose a question: Has there been any other "bullion" mint coin that the mint distributors
    sold out quickly -- or was a perceived low mintage that generated inflated "wholesale" prices?

The 2009 fractional AGEs were in great demand initially, but prices seemed to stay "typical".
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to get some of these but they will probably just spot up like Silver Eagles and then they are only worth melt image

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options

<< <i>Such a waste of silver.... >>

No more so than modern commems or ASE's.

• Options
    Bumped for the evening crowd...
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    If the interest in this thread is any indication of the interest in this series, they may not sell out.

• Options

<< <i>If the interest in this thread is any indication of the interest in this series, they may not sell out. >>

I think they will sell out and it will be the chosen few dealers who will be left with the overpriced pucks. They will initially be overpriced and eventually wind down to a reasonable cost over spot. 100,000 of these spread among the suppliers won't be an issue and the "sellout" will be fake 'cuz they will still be waiting to be sold..just not at the US Mint
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are nothing more than gift shop souveneirs, with a slightly higher intrinsic value due to precious metal content. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm intending on 1/each if they're, say, $2-3 over spot/oz or so initially. That's on par with ASE's and I can't imagine them going for more than that w/o resistance.
  • Options
    Deleted.......
  • Options

<< <i>I'm intending on 1/each if they're, say, $2-3 over spot/oz or so initially. That's on par with ASE's and I can't imagine them going for more than that w/o resistance. >>

I think with 100,000 each among all of the dealers, they will be cherrypicked to death before the general public sees them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm intending on 1/each if they're, say, $2-3 over spot/oz or so initially. That's on par with ASE's and I can't imagine them going for more than that w/o resistance. >>

I think with 100,000 each among all of the dealers, they will be cherrypicked to death before the general public sees them. >>

You vastly overestimate the amount of time we have available to fritter away on cherrypicking...........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    My guess is apmex is always reasonably priced. They have a list you can get on to notify you when they get them in.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the interest in this thread is any indication of the interest in this series, they may not sell out. >>

Remember the negative threads on the 2009 APE proof? It sold out in one week, 8,000 coins no one wanted and expensive.

R95
  • Options
    Negative is good -- keep it coming...
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭
    With a combined mintage of 500,000 across 5 different design and availability only through bulk purchasers, I would expect much more than $2-$3 over spot.
    I would expect anywhere from $125 - $150 each.

I'll expect graded examples, if its even possible, to go much higher.

I also expect that, even though the mintage is "currently" limited to 500,000, if the bulk purchasers have reasonable success and decide to "order" more that the US Mint will drop to their knees and give in like they did with the circulating(?) examples.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With a combined mintage of 500,000 across 5 different design and availability only through bulk purchasers, I would expect much more than $2-$3 over spot.

I also expect that, even though the mintage is "currently" limited to 500,000, if the bulk purchasers have reasonable success and decide to "order" more that the US Mint will drop to their knees and give in like they did with the circulating(?) examples. >>

The Mint says that 500,000 is the most they can strike between startup of production and the end of the calendar year. If I recall correctly, the mint is not allowed to strike 2010-dated coins into 2011.

So either each of the five 2010-dated bullion quarters will have a mintage around 100,000, or the year's key coin will have an even lower mintage.

There are only 2 Silver Eagles with mintages of less than 100,000 (1995-W and 2008-W reverse of 2007). Neither of these is a bullion coin. The lowest mintage bullion Silver Eagle is the 1996 at 3.6 million struck, and it sells at around $40, more than double melt value.

Because supply will likely fall well short of demand, I doubt that the 2010 5-oz. silver quarters will trade anywhere near bullion prices. The 2011 and later issues might, because the Mint will have all year to strike them and mintages therefore will likely be much higher.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Good point, but at least the enabling legislation only allows these to be struck
    in the same calendar year, so the Mint cannot "restrike" 2010 issues into 2011.

The short timeline this fall will shield these to a certain degree. Besides, the Mint
    will be VERY busy striking all those proof ASEs... (ya, I know -- different Mint...)
  • Options
    We are only reading what Coin World published -- I read this to say the Mint "anticipates" it would be able to produce ~500k

during this time period, but there is no cap or real limit. If they can get their presses running sooner -- or production

runs better (or worse) than anticipated, ?? is possible.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Mint sees healthy demand, you can surmise that they will capitalize on it. I just can't guess on what that demand will be, and apparently they can't either.

This is uncharted water for everyone involved. I think that some collectors who begin this series will eventually become frustrated with the size, cost and storage issues. I have no doubt that the flippers will want to get rid of their stocks quickly, so I see these as a medium to long term gambit.

As always, there will be some keys and some hot issues in this series - especially because there is no template.

Again I say - if the ugly Arkansas coin weren't the very first issue, I'd call it out as the uber-key right now.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>With a combined mintage of 500,000 across 5 different design and availability only through bulk purchasers, I would expect much more than $2-$3 over spot.

I also expect that, even though the mintage is "currently" limited to 500,000, if the bulk purchasers have reasonable success and decide to "order" more that the US Mint will drop to their knees and give in like they did with the circulating(?) examples. >>

Realistically I'm guessing $5/oz over spot this year. That's Libertad and Koala territory. Higher than that and I dunno.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We are only reading what Coin World published -- I read this to say the Mint "anticipates" it would be able to produce ~500k during this time period, but there is no cap or real limit. If they can get their presses running sooner -- or production runs better (or worse) than anticipated, ?? is possible. >>

Remember, these things are being minted on a special press imported from Germany specifically for the pucks. They are not using the "usual" presses. The mint has had a lot of issues trying to fine tune things for production. It's all new territory. I think that is the limiting factor, at least for this year.
  • Options

<< <i>If I recall correctly, the mint is not allowed to strike 2010-dated coins into 2011.

Because supply will likely fall well short of demand, I doubt that the 2010 5-oz. silver quarters will trade anywhere near bullion prices. The 2011 and later issues might, because the Mint will have all year to strike them and mintages therefore will likely be much higher. >>

On the first point, the law for these explicitly states they are to be sold in the same year as the quarter. So, once Jan. 1, 2011 rolls around, no more 2010s are to be sold by the mint.

<< <i>‘‘(A) shall become available for sale no sooner than
    the first day of the calendar year in which the circulating
    quarter dollar of which such bullion coin is a duplicate
    is issued; and
    ‘‘(B) may only be available for sale during the year
    in which such circulating quarter dollar is issued. >>

On the second point, you mean demand falling short of supply, no?
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << On the second point, you mean demand falling short of supply, no? >>

No.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

Remember the negative threads on the 2009 APE proof? It sold out in one week, 8,000 coins no one wanted and expensive. >>

In 2009, the proof plats were the only plat game in town.

In 2008, the mint sold 33,700 ounces of plat bullion alone.
    9,050 in 2007
    13,550 in 2006
    20,000 in 2005
    20,100 in 2004

And so far in 2010, there have been no plat bullion sold
    and here at NN

Although, I must agree that I had my doubts about the Proof Plats at 8k. However, I can't ignore the role the lack of bullion likely played in it.

And it is due to the lack of bullion again this year that I think these 2010 Proof Plats will be hot, even with 2k more being made.

So, I can't say that because the ugly 2009 plat proofs sold out, that there is definitely hope for these. I'm not sure any connection can be made.

• Options

<< <i><< On the second point, you mean demand falling short of supply, no? >>

No. >>

doh!

read it too quickly.

I see what you mean, now.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>We are only reading what Coin World published -- I read this to say the Mint "anticipates" it would be able to produce ~500k during this time period, but there is no cap or real limit. If they can get their presses running sooner -- or production runs better (or worse) than anticipated, ?? is possible. >>

Remember, these things are being minted on a special press imported from Germany specifically for the pucks. They are not using the "usual" presses. The mint has had a lot of issues trying to fine tune things for production. It's all new territory. I think that is the limiting factor, at least for this year. >>

I've looked already and couldn't find the post.

I thought for sure that someone like coinsarefun or some other well known poster showed a foreign government made modern, 5oz silver coin with edge incused lettering.

I found one thread with a sterling medal from years ago.

I found dcarr's posting about his edge lettered example he made.

But I thought there was definitely someone out there with an edge lettered foreign made modern 5oz'er to show us.
  • Options
    I can't find any other 5 oz'ers that are not proof either. Are there?
  • Options

<< <i>I can't find any other 5 oz'ers that are not proof either. Are there? >>

Libertads
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I demand that Richard Nachbar start paying his customers in silver hockey pucks, rather than mere silver eagles. That will cause the prices to rise. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    $150 a coin !! No way, that's $30 oz. Today's spot is $18.40.

These should sell for the same mark up as bullion eagles.

If dealers abuse the power, we'll all complain and the Mint will just sell them themselves. Cutting out the middle man.

• Options

<< <i>$150 a coin !! No way, that's $30 oz. Today's spot is $18.40.

(1)These should sell for the same mark up as bullion eagles.

(2)If dealers abuse the power, we'll all complain and the Mint will just sell them themselves. Cutting out the middle man. >>

1-should sell and will sell are two different concepts...remember these are a limited quantity item.... not minted to meet demand

2-Really???? Like we complained about the silver W's???

Sorry for being a cynic but reality bites....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't find any other 5 oz'ers that are not proof either. Are there? >>

Libertads >>

Thanks. APMEX has 2010 5 oz Libertads for $131 (proof is $200). I don't have my coin reference with me, but I recall these are
    struck in fairly low mintages (<10,000?). Production costs are higher than 1 oz'ers, need to factor that in.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a combined mintage of 500,000 across 5 different design and availability only through bulk purchasers, I would expect much more than $2-$3 over spot.

<< $150 a coin !! No way, that's $30 oz. Today's spot is $18.40.

(1)These should sell for the same mark up as bullion eagles.

(2)If dealers abuse the power, we'll all complain and the Mint will just sell them themselves. Cutting out the middle man. >>

These are supposedly being sold as bullion, so the premiums should be comparable to ASEs. If not, don't buy. Then complain loudly and often. If the premium is higher than ASEs, it is no longer bullion. I might want to consider these, but there is a line on the cost of these that I won't cross, especially when the concept for a 5 oz. piece of silver is a circulating "Quarter" design. I still think that it's one of the dumbest design moves that the Mint has made yet.

I may or may not be in the minority, but I've got plenty of other Modern Series on which to focus. If the US Mint wants to mimic the British, Australian, Austrian or Paris Mints with their outrageous markups, then when I want to buy some bullion I may decide that 90% silver suits me just fine.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>that's a lot of silver, and they couldn't get enough 1oz blanks last year??? >>

EXACTLY

I don't see any hope for Proof ASE's this year or Matte Finishes either.

This is a shame - so many collectors started this set back in 1986 and for
    no acceptable reason the Mint stopped production.

Yet, they go ahead with 5 oz Platters - that no one will seriously collect.

Maybe Bullion Dealers will buy and sell them - but not to the average collector.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    This is a shame - so many collectors started this set back in 1986 and for
    no acceptable reason the Mint stopped production.... Yet, they go ahead with 5 oz Platters - that no one will seriously collect.

While I agree with your sentiments, you seem to be blaming the mint for something that Congress mandated.

Congress required bullion demand be met before any collectors mirror proofs could be made. (The mint has requested relief from this, but no word yet.)

It was Congress that required the striking of 5-oz drink coasters. (For which the mint has had to rebuild a special press room, buy a huge press, train employees, commit to buying special blanks, etc. None of which the mint wanted to do, and none of which the mint was given money to do it with.)

So, write your members of Congress and ask them.
  • Options

<< <i>This is a shame - so many collectors started this set back in 1986 and for
    no acceptable reason the Mint stopped production.... Yet, they go ahead with 5 oz Platters - that no one will seriously collect.

While I agree with your sentiments, you seem to be blaming the mint for something that Congress mandated.

Congress required bullion demand be met before any collectors mirror proofs could be made. (The mint has requested relief from this, but no word yet.)

It was Congress that required the striking of 5-oz drink coasters. (For which the mint has had to rebuild a special press room, buy a huge press, train employees, commit to buying special blanks, etc. None of which the mint wanted to do, and none of which the mint was given money to do it with.)

So, write your members of Congress and ask them. >>

• Options
    Serious question.....does anybody know of a supplier selling a nice, sturdy capsule for these?
    A cardboard box to fit around the capsule would be nice also.
    TD
  • Options
    air-tite makes this:
    Z10 Air-Tite Direct Fit Capsule 10 oz. Silver Round (3.024"x.286")
  • Options
    I called air-tites.com and they said they haven't heard anything about making a smaller one.
    the person also thought they wouldn't be a big seller.

I at least mentioned they're bullion and likely to be sold in tubes....
    (the need is out there)

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like $279 each if APMEX has their way. Course, thats if you buy 5, no telling where the individual prices will settle.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file