Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you include an 1839-O in a bust half date set?

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
Thoughts? I know the 1839-O is a tougher date. I already have a regular 1839 in my set.

4 more coins to go!
AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    For you, I would say yes.image
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    Not half dimes, half dollars. I am doing a basic date set from 1807 to 1839. Not collecting every single variety.

As of right now I need an 1811, 1813, 1815 and 1838.
    Technically 3 as I have an 1838 on the way on approval.

AJ
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    LVGTLVGT Posts: 503
    Ankur,

I have read a number of your posts and like your style. You set a goal and attack it agressively, with nice coins...at least in my opinion. I saw your type set ...now bust halves. If I had more disposable income at this point I'd be doing the same thing....

What do or did you do for a living? Just curious....kinda interested in where other collectors come from...outside of the dealers.

For what its worth...i cant seem to get turned on by the 37 - 39 dates...regardless of the mint mark (they're smaller and they resemble modern coinage more then the earlier dates of this series)

Anyway...Id love to see your whole set pictured once you have it.

I'm sure there are some cool ones.
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    I did a date set and had an 1839 but didn't think I needed the 1839-O. So to me, I wouldn't include it.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm confused, but a "date set" shouldn't include more than one date per year per coin type, and mint-marks shouldn't matter. Thus, either the 1839 or 1839-O would be perfectly acceptable.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I don't think that the '39 O is necessary for a date set I did include one in mine rather than the Philadelphia just to be different. Although I don't have the financial wherewithal to put together an entire date/mintmark collection I did include examples of each mint available by major type in my year set.

Shameless spam....if offended then no reason to read any further.

Anyone got an extra 2009 and/or 2010 half (preferably raw) they want to get rid of? I neglected to pick one up last year and haven't gotten one so far this year either.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Good points by everyone here. Since I already have the 1839, I will hold off and use the cash for a decent 1815.

Thanks for the comments LGVT! I will post pics when they are all here. I have to get a few of them crossed from ANACS holders to put them in my NGC registry.

AJ
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Change your term from date set to basic set and say yes to a complete set.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sure, why not
  • Options
    Here is the 1838 that is on the way. It is slabbed by NGC. Anyone care to guess the grade?

imageimage

AJ
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    And here is an 1809 I bought on ebay. The images are not that good, so hoping it will look nice in hand.

PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Heck yeah it should be included!
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '39-O is part of the Capped Bust Half Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1807-1839) registry. I think it should be included in your collection, Ankur. And I think it is a particularly cool CBH. Mint mark above the date is sweet.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, Lance! Nice coin!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1939-O half dollar is such a cool item that I've thougth about including in my collection, which contains no Bust half date set. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're working on a date/mm set, then yes, it should be included. If on the other hand, you're collecting a date set, then either the 1839 or 1839-O would suffice.

I'm in the same boat. I'm working on a date/mm set of capped bust half dollars, and am missing only the 1815 and 1839-O. I've been looking for a VG 1839-O for around two years, and have come up completely dry image

Good luck with your search image

Steve
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are building a date set then you need the 1839-O no more than you need the 1838-O, which means you don't need the coin. If you are building a business strike set then you need the 1839-O, but not the 1838-O. If you are building a complete set then you need the 1838-O and 1839-O.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭
    the obverse mint mark is a very collectible type, but it would not HAVE to be included in a DATE set (of course with the 38-O being uncollectible, the 39-O is the obvious choice)

to show how popular these are, i recently watched this one top $260 (let's just say my snipe was set much lower; the closing price surprised me a little for a 'defaced' coin)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>The '39-O is part of the Capped Bust Half Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1807-1839) registry. I think it should be included in your collection, Ankur. And I think it is a particularly cool CBH. Mint mark above the date is sweet.
    Lance.

imageimage >>

100% Agreed! Sweet!
  • Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The '39-O is part of the Capped Bust Half Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1807-1839) registry. I think it should be included in your collection, Ankur. And I think it is a particularly cool CBH. Mint mark above the date is sweet.
    Lance.

imageimage >>

100% Agreed! Sweet! >>

And check out all of those die cracks!image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I saw a nice 1839-o at northeastcoin.com a ms65.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file