Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Roy Rogers Pontiac to be auctioned!

mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
Beginning with a stock 1964 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible, Nudie removed all traces of the original interior material and carpeting, replacing it with exquisitely hand-tooled leather. Then came the application of hundreds of genuine collectible silver dollars

Roy Rogers BONNEVILLE

"Trigger" is also availableimage

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, and they are even auctioning Trigger, the real ride.

sad day image

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Is Dale Evans available also?
    Paul
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Edited: Deleted, with apologies, due to incorrect post.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong forum.

Not really. Look at the close-ups of the interior of the car. I'm tempted to bid!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wrong forum. >>

I respectfully disagree! This has 150 silver dollars in it, dying to be looked at for rare VAM's! image

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wrong forum. >>

I respectfully disagree! This has 150 silver dollars in it, dying to be looked at for rare VAM's! image >>

Good luck separating them from their lucite enclosure.
    Paul
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although Trigger is more tempting...

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Wrong forum. >>

I respectfully disagree! This has 150 silver dollars in it, dying to be looked at for rare VAM's! image >>

Good luck separating them from their lucite enclosure. >>

Just an early version of a slab! image

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    What is melt on it?
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is melt on it? >>

On what, Trigger? image
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I love old cars but I find most customs done to be in bad taste. At car shows I appreciate the originals!

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    When I think of "Nudiemobiles" I don't think about Roy Rogers.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Some of those silver dollars look gold to me!!! image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love old cars but I find most customs done to be in bad taste. At car shows I appreciate the originals! >>

the words "incredibly tacky" come to mind immediately when seeing it.
    i know it is from a certain era and the kids loved him a lot but sometimes too much
    of a good thing can become an eye sore.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way, way, way too much kitsch attached to classic collectible car, in my opinion.

The car does have the Kelsey-Hayes 8-lug wheels.

Wonder if it has the 421 under the hood.

Underneath all the garbage lurks a mid sixties full size poncho - one beautiful ride!
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That for me is like the coolest car ever. I grew up watching Roy, Cisco and the rest of the group....always liked them. Trigger not so sure about though. Thought the whole thing on having him stuffed was a bit weird. If I had gobs of money to burn I would probably buy Trigger and give him a proper resting place.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    I liked Roy Rogers as much as the next kid but that car is the gawd awfullest looking thing I've ever laid eyes on and I can only imagine how many times those silver dollars have been cleaned, wiped and polished over the years!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it!!! This thread is worth its weight.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i heard trigger's starting bid was at 200,000 big ones! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The heck with the car, I want his stuffed horse.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭

<< <i>Way, way, way too much kitsch attached to classic collectible car, in my opinion.

The car does have the Kelsey-Hayes 8-lug wheels.

Wonder if it has the 421 under the hood.

Underneath all the garbage lurks a mid sixties full size poncho - one beautiful ride! >>

Way too jazzed up and way too heavy. The convertible adds extra weight too.
    I would remove the silver dollars even if I never cracked them out. Sell that coin saddle on e-bay!
    Even if it was a 421 tri-power the weight of this land yacht negates any super duty. Looks like the springs are tired. Funny the factory never used a forged crank in the 421.
  • Options
    JamesMurrayJamesMurray Posts: 4,036
    Im going to have a pop at his sunglasses.
  • Options
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nearly as cool as Jon Voight's LeBaron convertible,

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They had some good chicken at my local RR but now its a popeyes and Burger King!image
  • Options

...i recall RR having great fries. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Roy Rogers was my favorite cowboy when I was kid. I remember the local movie theater made a big deal of it every time they got a Roy Rogers movie in to play.

Westerns are out now, when Hollywood does make one, which is rare, it's "socially relevant. My late parents met Roy when he was making his last film, I think in the late 1970s. They said that he looked a lot younger than he was.

Roy get his “break” I’ve read with Gene Autry had a salary dispute with the film studio. Autry won’t come to terms so Roy got his parts. When Rogers started out, I understand that he didn’t have two dimes to rub together. It looks like he made enough that have costume Pontiac. Who would believe that Rogers and the Pontiac brand name are now fading into history.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Roy was my favorite good guy when I was a kid. I remember Trigger and NellyBelle(sp?), but I don't remember the convertible.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    There are a few Roy Rogers' still open in the Washington DC area. There are two in Leesburg, VA. Chicken and other items are the same. People still joke about "Trigger burgers."

[PS: Are they selling the stuffed and mounted Dale Evans, too?]
  • Options

[PS: Are they selling the stuffed and mounted Dale Evans, too?] >>

...no roger but they are auctioning off her outfits. image
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

Wish they would let me check under the seats for changeimage
  • Options
    <<[PS: Are they selling the stuffed and mounted Dale Evans, too?]>>

I have read that Dale took a dim view of having Trigger stuffed and threatened to have Roy stuffed and put in the museum with Trigger.
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    I would have thought that NellyBelle would go for more than $20,000 to $30,000.

Oh well.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    I had no idea that Dale Evans was such a hottie link image
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    She should be on a coin!image
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The Christie's estimate for the painting tells it all.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had no idea that Dale Evans was such a hottie link image >>

Looks a bit like Drew Barrymore.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    This link hs some good background information.
    It is an interview with Roy Rogers, Jr.
    At least we find out who Nudie is.

http://www.christies.com/features/2010-june-like-father-like-son-845-1.aspx
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nearly as cool as Jon Voight's LeBaron convertible, >>

That's JOHN Voight... the DENTIST! image
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit too young to remember any of his stuff, but for those of you who were fans... I see RFD TV (or the owners of it) bought Trigger (chan 231 on dish) - heard them announce it today when watching some shows. Said they were going to be showing some of Roy's movies as well.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    For a while, I was afraid that they were gonna stuff Roy to go with the horse.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For a while, I was afraid that they were gonna stuff Roy to go with the horse.image >>

The folks in China are probably working on a replica of Roy as we type
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019

<< <i>Im going to have a pop at his sunglasses. >>

They went for $3750 I think.

Did y'all look at the prices some of this stuff went for.

Nelly Belle the Jeep went for $116,500.

A hat went for over $6,000

Talk about the right auction at the right time.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Although Trigger is more tempting...

image >>

A guy from Omaha bought both Trigger and bullet and rumor has it that they are going to be on display near the Reed collection at the Durham. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Leonard Sly, from Duck Run, Ohio, he did all right! Happy trails Roy!!
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    This is a restart to an old topic during the summer

i think i found out what happened to Roy Roger's car Roy's auction link
    it has Kid Rock in the back seat on his latest album cover
    i saw a big poster in the store promoting the album so
    if your in the store I'm sure you'll see this picture around
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭✭
    image It looks like Boss Hogg's car from the Duke's of Hazzard.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed this post the first time around being on vacation that weekend.

But what a neat car and collection. The gawdiness of the Bonneville is what makes it so neat. There isn't another like it. And the quarter million dollar price it fetched demonstrates the demand. Auction brief says it was given to Roy and Dale as a gift. I usually walk right by customs at shows but this one certainly catches the eye. Quite a few of the near middle-age movie stars of the 60's that we grew up watching and admiring were quite striking in their early years back in the 30's and 40's. Besides Dale Evans, you also had Lucille Ball, Eve Arden, Joan Blondell, Doris Day, Yvonne DeCarlo, and a host of others.

If I were the owner of the car I'd have slapped Kid Rock upside the head for putting his boots on my seat covers. But I have to give the Kid and his ad people a thumbs up for selecting that car as part of their shoot.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    here is another coin related itemroad apples---------------- BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file