Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

reward for being honest

Today I went to a local coin show and decided to buy some bullion silver but got to looking around and saw some 90% silver proof sets for about two dollars over spot 1963's and 1964's they were all open flat packs so I bought 12 of them really did not even look at them.
Pulled out one at the dealers table and bought all he had. Got out to the car and before I left I decided to inspect the items I bought.
In two of the envelopes there were 1955 proof sets instead
of 1963 sets. So I went back in and returned them to him and he went through his 1955 flat packs and there were the two 1963's.
He then gave me a 1958 set for being honest.
I felt kind of bad letting him give it to me but I took it anyway because it seemed important to the old dude that I take it.

Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    That is awfaul nice of ya'! image

Edited to take the negativity out of the thread and keep it for what it is worth.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you and him A Win Win. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Well Done! its good to hear something so positive. Good Job Dude.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Teva, good for you for doing the right thing. And good for the dealer for showing that he was appreciative. Each of you, no doubt, felt good about what you did.

<< <i>That is awfaul nice of ya'! image

But to keep it sort of relative, had the shoe been on the other foot, he would not have contacted you to let you know that he bought the coins as such. I am just saying!image >>

Do you know the dealer to say such a thing about him? If not, you might be going by the odds, but are still being unfair to the individual in question.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go on both sides! image

You were honet with the dealer, and he rewarded you. I wish we could have more good customer - merchant stories like this.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    I think that was great you did the right thing and the dealer was happy to see that you were honest.
    Collector
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    A little honesty goes a long way in collecting and in life. Nice story image
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Good for you, honesty is it's own reward, but it is nice to get somethingalso. I wonder how old the "old dude " is?image
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story...

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep on the honest path of life!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    This is exactly how transactions, or any personal interactions should be!! Well done.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    Edited to take the negativity out of the thread.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Teva, good for you for doing the right thing. And good for the dealer for showing that he was appreciative. Each of you, no doubt, felt good about what you did.

But to keep it sort of relative, had the shoe been on the other foot, he would not have contacted you to let you know that he bought the coins as such. I am just saying!image >>

Do you know the dealer to say such a thing about him? If not, you might be going by the odds, but are still being unfair to the individual in question. >>

No, I do not. And I am not trying to play the devils advocate, but I do know dealers and even the most honest would not be that honest. I myself would go back into a store and pay for something that was not charged of me, but I have been in many, many coin shops that have taken advantage of one's lack of knowledge. I am sorry for being a little honest with my answer. I love the idea of some integrity from a patron which you surely do not see very often. I just wish I saw more integrity from the dealers I have crossed paths with. And no, I am not trying to start a flame war, nor am I saying that all dealers are dishonest. I am simply stating my opinion. >>

Of course there are dishonest dealers, just as there are honest ones. I know plenty of dealers who would have done the same if "the shoe been on the other foot".

You are obviously entitled your opinion. But you stated it as fact ("had the shoe been on the other foot, he would not have contacted you to let you know that he bought the coins as such".). And you did so without knowing anything about the person, other than that he was a dealer and that he had rewarded the customer for his honesty.
  • Options
    Teva, I apoligize for taking away the fact that you did the right thing. I would have done the same thing. It says a lot about one's character when one is not petty about a mixup such as the one you had. It is always the case that it is better to be honest than to not be able to not sleep at night. Sorry for the negativity. You are alright. image -Dan
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether dealer or collector everyone is an individual and had to live with the decisions he/she has made. If someone makes a mistake in my favor such as too much change or ?? I try to make it right with them. If I make a mistake in their favor and they realize it but choose not to make it right, so be it...I guess money is more important to them than being honest. I sleep well at night...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    You are right Mark. I should not have even brought the negative aspect into the mix. It is what it is. -Dan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Teva, good for you for doing the right thing. And good for the dealer for showing that he was appreciative. Each of you, no doubt, felt good about what you did.

Do you know the dealer to say such a thing about him? If not, you might be going by the odds, but are still being unfair to the individual in question. >>

No, I do not. And I am not trying to play the devils advocate, but I do know dealers and even the most honest would not be that honest. I myself would go back into a store and pay for something that was not charged of me, but I have been in many, many coin shops that have taken advantage of one's lack of knowledge. I am sorry for being a little honest with my answer. I love the idea of some integrity from a patron which you surely do not see very often. I just wish I saw more integrity from the dealers I have crossed paths with. And no, I am not trying to start a flame war, nor am I saying that all dealers are dishonest. I am simply stating my opinion. >>

Of course there are dishonest dealers, just as there are honest ones. And you are obviously entitled your opinion. But you stated your opinion as fact ("had the shoe been on the other foot, he would not have contacted you to let you know that he bought the coins as such".). And you did so without knowing anything about the person, other than that he was a dealer and that he had rewarded the customer for his honesty. >>

Understood, Mark. Although, I respect you very much, I do not feel that you should have such thin skin as you do. I am sorry for my general statement, but I am in the opinion that it is mostly the case that a dealer will take advantage of a situation. Whether you agree or not, you cannot prove nor disprove my statement, as I cannot prove or disprove your general opinion that dealers are all honest. >>

Saying that it is "mostly the case that a dealer will take advantage of a situation" is not the same thing as saying "had the shoe been on the other foot, he would not have contacted you to let you know that he bought the coins as such". The former is a generalization, whereas the latter is a specific accusation against a particular person.

And please do not misstate my general opinion - I never said, nor do I believe that "dealers are all honest". I have already posted to this thread "Of course there are dishonest dealers, just as there are honest ones.".
  • Options
    Understood, sir.
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    Its called the golden rule a little lesson my daddy taught me with his belt when I was about five years old and its stuck with me ever since. He was 6'5" went 260 and was a USMC non com officer and new how to leave a impression. Thanks for the compliments
    I would of given it back no matter who it was thats the guy my daddy raised.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    It's important to share stories like this. Thanks.
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    Good for you. It's nice to see such a gesture.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Hurrah for your daddy! Even though I am sure it was hard.image My mom took me into the grocery store when I was five to return a piece of 5 cent gum that I had taken and I have not taken anything since! I had a hard time with the Home Depot cashiers a few weeks ago when I returned after paying for my purchases after realizing that I did not pay for the keys which I had made and had inadvertently stuck into my pocket.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its called the golden rule a little lesson my daddy taught me with his belt when I was about five years old and its stuck with me ever since. He was 6'5" went 260 and was a USMC non com officer and new how to leave a impression. Thanks for the compliments
    I would of given it back no matter who it was thats the guy my daddy raised. >>

Please don't feel bad about accepting the 58 proof set. The individual was simply trying to extend his gratitude in a tangible manner.

My father, rest his soul, was a Marine DI in Korea. All of his children were educated in a similar manner - must be something w/Marines and belts. Heaven knows, we knew and still know honesty and discipline. Almost every day, the lessons my Dad taught me pay handsome dividends.

People such as yourself make the world a better place. Thanks for the day brightener.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading this beats reading "Hey, look at the rip I got at the coin show". image

If eveyone did the right thing (as you did) the world would be better for it.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    A win all the way around.

I can see how this could happen. I have gotten into the habit of trying to check everything before i leave a store if possible. Many a time in the past at a hardware store there can be a small part missing. Saves on the irratation factor.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did the right thing and I'm sure your daddy would be proud. And, I'm sure that the dealer would have done something similar, because he did.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will sleep well tonight knowing you did the right thing. A boost to one's integrity is never a bad thing.image

I have to wonder if this is a way that less than honorable people rip off dealers. Swap one proof set date for a less expensive date. Easy for a perp to do when a table is busy. So it would behoove dealers to double check the sets before completing the sale. Of course, it may have just been a simple error, but it got me thinking as I look at lots of proof sets.

Thanks for sharing.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    My hat's off to you Teva! image
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    Good job! You did the right thing.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good for you, honesty is it's own reward, but it is nice to get somethingalso. I wonder how old the "old dude " is?image >>

Jerry - Probably younger than us !! LOL

Good move, Teva.

[ BTW - I work with a Harvey Teva in Naples, FL - any relation ? ]
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    Teva - Gives you a good feeling inside, huh? When honesty prevails, everyone wins (great example).

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go, Teva. I have done similar and wouldn't even think twice about doing it in the future.
    Most people are good, honest, folks, and I have a feeling that you didn't even hesitate.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    That was a nice thing to do and you got the 58!
    Way to go!
    Ed
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

<< <i>

<< <i>Its called the golden rule a little lesson my daddy taught me with his belt when I was about five years old and its stuck with me ever since. He was 6'5" went 260 and was a USMC non com officer and new how to leave a impression. Thanks for the compliments
    I would of given it back no matter who it was thats the guy my daddy raised. >>

Please don't feel bad about accepting the 58 proof set. The individual was simply trying to extend his gratitude in a tangible manner.

My father, rest his soul, was a Marine DI in Korea. All of his children were educated in a similar manner - must be something w/Marines and belts. Heaven knows, we knew and still know honesty and discipline. Almost every day, the lessons my Dad taught me pay handsome dividends.

People such as yourself make the world a better place. Thanks for the day brightener. >>

Brings back memories..my dad wasnt a marine but one day whenI was about 10 I took a pack of gum in the local store.The guy wasnt looking but another customer was and told him.The owner came up to me and said "where is the gum".I handed to him and he smacked me in the face.I ran home to get my pop and when I told him what happened(expecting him to smack the owner) and got a pretty good beating.Taught me a good lesson.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Today I went to a local coin show and decided to buy some bullion silver but got to looking around and saw some 90% silver proof sets for about two dollars over spot 1963's and 1964's they were all open flat packs so I bought 12 of them really did not even look at them.
    Pulled out one at the dealers table and bought all he had. Got out to the car and before I left I decided to inspect the items I bought.
    In two of the envelopes there were 1955 proof sets instead
    of 1963 sets. So I went back in and returned them to him and he went through his 1955 flat packs and there were the two 1963's.
    He then gave me a 1958 set for being honest.
    I felt kind of bad letting him give it to me but I took it anyway because it seemed important to the old dude that I take it. >>

PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done.......a few dollars is never worth a guilty conscience.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    I myself feel like the dealer was the one who stepped up I just did what I would always do but thank everyone for your very kind words.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Teva:

When I went back to the dealer's table to buy the 2 '55 flat packs that I had switched into '63 envelopes, I was shocked to find ou they were GONE!! imageimage NOW I know where they went!!image

Seriously, though, congratulations on your character and honesty in doing the right thing!

If, as you said, honesty has its own rewards, and you felt uncomfortable taking the '58 set as a reward, might I suggest holding a YN-only giveaway? I promise not to enter. But it would serve not only to allay your consternation, but to also both "pay-it-forward" to a YN while also teaching them a valuable lesson on the importane and virtue of honesty in all one's dealings in life..........

Just a thought.

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    R7.
  • Options

<< <i> thats the guy my daddy raised. >>

You mean that's the man he raised. Very good, Teva! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights