Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1954 NGC MS64 Wild Rainbow Toned Jefferson Nickel sold tonight on eBay!!

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you have paid $260?????????
Cool looking coin, but a bit pricey IMHO.
Is that also not a weak strike!!

eBay Link

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would I? No.
    Would some folks? Yes. Obviously since one did image

I knew, even before hitting the link, that it was one of 2 certain sellers for the coin (and, I was right). That selelr has a strong following of auction watchers. That helps as well.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a doctored coin to me. Worth about 5 cents, imho.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverse has an interesting 'Battle Creek' look.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    That's legit toning IMO. A very rare type toning that is very hard to find, the grade had hardly nothing to do with the final selling price.

I would love to own it, but too rich for my blood.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    mumumumu Posts: 1,840
    The glitter effect photoshopped in makes the seller an instant giveaway.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love raiding old unc album sets for coins like that ... they do turn up ... but I like it when I can get get them for single-digit prices. That's a lot of money for that.
    mirabela
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The strike is not so bad, it's just that the dies are very worn. What was wrong in 1954 that so many worn dies were used? Lincolns are hard to find in early die state and well-struck, full red, EDS 1954Ps are very rare. Is it the same way for nickels? How about others?

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mister D ?
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    I love rainbow toned Jefferson Nickels but I draw the line at MS65. It is curious that the coin does not have a star designation.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a Jefferson toner kind of guy, so I would vote no way to this one.

For those that are toners, I am curious about how you weigh toning against the quality of the coin. This coin is very late die state, but with great toning. Does the overall quality of the coin play into your decision to purchase coins at premium prices, like this one?

Dowgie
  • Options
    l love toned coins but they need to have a good strike. If that date does not come fully struck so be it.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Coins like this have gone for insane money... but I'm sure there are those of you out there who would think the prices I pay for some Jefferson Nickels is insane as well, so it's a wash.

I would not pay that price for the coin... even as a Jefferson. There is a line of insanity even I won't cross.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Looks like a doctored coin to me. Worth about 5 cents, imho.image >>

It looks original and quite striking to me.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased this coin.
    I enjoy interesting and (for me) eye appealing coins. Actually, sometimes the coin doesn't even need to be attractive for me to like it.
    It may very well be a problem free worn out Ike dollar or this Jefferson nickel.

I never expect others to agree with my collecting methodology, but it's worked for me over the last 30 years of collecting.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭
    braddick,

I respect your methodology. It's not about what I like, it's all about you like! That works for me.

Thanks
    Mike
  • Options
    NGC's star designation is quite confusing? image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    "NGC's star designation is quite confusing? ' And meaningless too!
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    "I never expect others to agree with my collecting methodology, but it's worked for me over the last 30 years of collecting."

agree100%image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin looks fine to me. Had I seen it, I would have paid $260 for it - but only because it is my birth year and I am trying to put a nice set of toners together.

Nice snag Braddick!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang that Pat! Looks like I'll need to rethink my entire outlook on collecting these coins. image

NOT!

But like he said, "to each his own!"

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    So what's this one worth? pcgs ms65 image Extremely vibrant in hand

"It is what it is."
  • Options

<< <i>So what's this one worth? pcgs ms65 image Extremely vibrant in hand >>

Do I hear $280?

Leo image

• Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So what's this one worth? pcgs ms65 image Extremely vibrant in hand

image >>

Great coin John, it was a pleasure handling it and that thing is way more electric than your photos show.

Braddick, I love that nickel. And I"m happy to keep you company as a guy buried in high pop, colorful coins that I"ve paiway too much for, Gladly! You too Rainbowroosie.
    Jeff
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is curious that the coin does not have a star designation.

thats what I was thinking as well
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    When buying wildly toned coins, does anyone take into consideration that the toning process may still be active?
    There's a lot more to this but I'll refrain from writing a 1 page thesis about it. image

Leo

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There's a lot more to this but I'll refrain from writing a 1 page thesis about it. image

Leo >>

We appreciate your restrain image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is curious that the coin does not have a star designation.

thats what I was thinking as well >>

Probably because the color is on the reverse. NGC tends to reserve the designation for coins with obverse toning.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It is curious that the coin does not have a star designation.

thats what I was thinking as well >>

Probably because the color is on the reverse. NGC tends to reserve the designation for coins with obverse toning.

Russ, NCNE >>

In my experience, if NGC can find a reason to not award the star, they will do exactly that and not award it. There appears to be some significant spotting on the obverse which could easily be the reason for the star snub on this incredibly toned coin. The problem is that the obverse photo is so bad, we can't really get a feel for the severity of the spotting and it's impact on the overall eye appeal of the coin.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    EDS, lustrous, colorful, virtually markfree, semi prooflike, a 4+ quality piece. One of the greatest finds inside my 20 years with this series.
    NGc did not give it their star. I'll never send a coin to them again. I just don't have another that's much better than this one.

Leo

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>EDS, lustrous, colorful, virtually markfree, semi prooflike, a 4+ quality piece. One of the greatest finds inside my 20 years with this series.
    NGc did not give it their star. I'll never send a coin to them again. I just don't have another that's much better than this one. Leo >>

That is one awesome looking coin and would be a prize of my collection...RayP
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Not for me.
  • Options

<< <i>EDS, lustrous, colorful, virtually markfree, semi prooflike, a 4+ quality piece. One of the greatest finds inside my 20 years with this series.
    NGc did not give it their star. I'll never send a coin to them again. I just don't have another that's much better than this one.

Leo >>

Yes, NGC can be quite brutal with the star designation. This 42-S has absolutely phenomenal iridescent lime green and lavender toning on the obverse with crazy magenta and gold on the reverse. No Star!

• Options
    Super nice 1942-S! I have a few like that and I think that type of toning is the best to own.

There's a similar coin of the OP up but it just doesn't appeal to me. The strike, grade/condition, perhaps the luster are missing from that coin. And who knows if the toning is not active? Depending on how long a coin was subjected to the environment and the chemicals it came from, how does anyone know that that coin won't continue to tone?

Leo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file