Comments

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    linky no worky
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ironically, it's because of lefty congressmen like Weiner that people are buying gold. >>

Really? I started buying gold when the economy collapsed during the Bush Administration. >>

You got a late start. I started during the double digit inflation of the Carter administration. In the past year, gold fever has accelerated---more buy/sell ads in the mass media, more "we buy gold" signs all over the place, more gold parties, etc.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Why buy gold anyway? What good is 50k in gold going to do anyone in a total collaspe? Is that the reason to buy gold? In reality how many people can buy enough gold to ACTUALLY do them some good? BTW early last year i had 40 ounces and now i have 6 or 7. The tax man needed it more than i did.

I know gold is red double nuclear hot but the majority of the masses are not hording 100 ounces or more. Most likely a few 1/10 ouncers.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    no comment other than good to seeya around Brandon, I have been wondering where youve been.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Goldline and Glenn Beck again. The sponsor supplying the scripts to Beck...like Nancy Pelosi is going to confiscate your 401K to pay for health care, so you better buy gold...then comes a Goldlone commercial advocating pre-1933 US gold which "legally can't be confiscated" (no such assurance) but is a very expensive way to own gold. The prices are much higher than typical, but they claim to be the lowest. The take on this from Patrick Heller of Liberty Coins:

While the business practices of Goldline may have been legal, in the instances where customers have told us of their experiences with that company—including showing us the invoices for purchases—I found that the customers would have been better served working with many dealers other than Goldline. The price differences for easily available merchandise were so large in some instances that I actually felt badly for the customers who let themselves be taken advantage of. A number of other coin dealers around the country have regularly told me similar stories about Goldline’s pricing policies.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they're paying 300 employees every week, it's unlikely they're working on typical bullion-trading margins. Is that good or bad? Depends on your perspective.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    PLEPLE Posts: 193 ✭✭
    So, I was curious about this situation, and I called Goldline and asked for prices. I spoke with Tom. He said I could buy a half-ounce gold coin for $678.79, plus $25 shipping. I told him that I had never purchased a coin like that (which is true), and I wasn't sure if that was a good deal. He asked me if I listened to Fox news. When I said yes, Tom told me that Glenn Beck is a Goldline customer. Tom said, as a result, I could be assured that it is safe to purchase from Goldline. Tom also encouraged me to make a larger purchase.

After speaking with Tom, I believe that Congressman Weiner has a good point. Fox is a news station. On that news station, Glenn Beck is telling people that gold is a good investment. He is also allowing Goldline to use his name, but he is not disclosing that he is being paid by Goldline for that endorsement. Indeed Tom did not tell me that Goldline pays Glenn Beck to use his name. I suspect that Glenn Beck and Goldline are misleading people. They should be disclosing their financial arrangements.

With recent investment scandals, like Goldman Sachs, this is a reasonable area for Congressional investigation.
  • Options

<< <i>So, I was curious about this situation, and I called Goldline and asked for prices. I spoke with Tom. He said I could buy a half-ounce gold coin for $678.79, plus $25 shipping. I told him that I had never purchased a coin like that (which is true), and I wasn't sure if that was a good deal. He asked me if I listened to Fox news. When I said yes, Tom told me that Glenn Beck is a Goldline customer. Tom said, as a result, I could be assured that it is safe to purchase from Goldline. Tom also encouraged me to make a larger purchase.

After speaking with Tom, I believe that Congressman Weiner has a good point. Fox is a news station. On that news station, Glenn Beck is telling people that gold is a good investment. He is also allowing Goldline to use his name, but he is not disclosing that he is being paid by Goldline for that endorsement. Indeed Tom did not tell me that Goldline pays Glenn Beck to use his name. I suspect that Glenn Beck and Goldline are misleading people. They should be disclosing their financial arrangements.

With recent investment scandals, like Goldman Sachs, this is a reasonable area for Congressional investigation. >>

Bullcrap
    Beck states in advance that Goldline is a sponsor, always has always will, before the Weiner and after the Weiner
  • Options
    PLE
    You clearly have a political agenda, obvious in this thread and another thread. Lose it, this is a coin forum.
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever the agenda is, some positives could/likely happen. May bring in new people to the metals and to numismatics. People will start doing their own homework,on the best places to buy. Most reading, applying info learned on this forum ,already know the best places to buy. Does take some time, to answer a customers questions,but think in the end, it will be best for both parties, as a level of understanding and trust will likely happen.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PLE
    You clearly have a political agenda, obvious in this thread and another thread. Lose it, this is a coin forum. >>

The pretense of this action, the subject of this thread, is clearly politically motivated, so it's hard to discuss without getting into politics.

I do not believe that the price quoted to PLE was egregious.
  • Options
    Bullcrap Beck states in advance that Goldline is a sponsor, always has always will, before the Weiner and after the Weine

Goldline's web-site contains the following audio endorsement by Glenn Beck, in which he does NOT state that Goldline is a sponsor:Beck Endorses Goldline

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bullcrap Beck states in advance that Goldline is a sponsor, always has always will, before the Weiner and after the Weine

Goldline's web-site contains the following audio endorsement by Glenn Beck, in which he does NOT state that Goldline is a sponsor:Beck Endorses Goldline >>

Dude,
    Here's a newsflash. When someone with a high public profile is endorsing a product, 99.99% of the time he/she is getting paid for the endorsement.
  • Options
    PLE, It seems you are attacking a messanger rather than a message. Why don't you attack the 18% spread instead, it would be alot more credible and less obvious , why out your motives here in such a blatant and clear way? Poker my friend, keep your hand hidden, yannow????

Somebody better post some gold before this thread gets the Nuke.
  • Options
    There are far worse companies out there than goldline. Just look in Texas at those telemarketers. I would assume mot of us at one time have been called by them? Weiner clearly is on a witch hunt.

This was a non event. If the PNG did not send out that notice, no one would have known.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it.

PLE in other threads would have said <<<what does this thread have to do with US coins?>>>

Note to PCGS: Before you nuke this thread, please consider moving this thread to the precious metals where it belongs.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    I don't get it. PLE in other threads would have said <<<what does this thread have to do with US coins?>>>

Wow, Oreville, you really are going all out to try to attack me! At any rate, I can do my best to explain how this thread relates to coins: The company involved, GoldLine, sells coins, both US and foreign.

I tried to find out how GoldLine works by calling them. When I called Goldline, I was told that I would be assigned my very own personal investment adviser, who would help me invest a percentage of every pay check in gold coins. I was also told that I could trust that it was safe to purchase from GoldLine, because Glenn Beck is a customer.

Here is the point that I am trying to make. It is reasonable for Congressman Weiner to start an investigation. His committee is involved with consumer protection. Indeed, if you do a Google search on GoldLine and consumer complaints, there is tons of information.

Here is a link from 2009 and includes a video endorsement by Glenn Beck: 2009 SF Examiner
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This so called investigation by Weiner is obviously politically motivated and it won't hurt either Beck or Goldline because people will judge it by its source.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Google " Weiner Facts ".......
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 1834 $5 Classic-Plain 4 US Cleaning
    2 1877-S $2.50 US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    3 1878-S $1 US MS61
    4 1902-S $5 US AU55
    5 1907 $5 US AU58
    6 1916-D 10C US AG03

My latest crossovers all dropped in grade or stature based on a "label". Since they were sent, there's been a severe drop in metal prices (that's just a few weeks). Isn't that a strange coincidence ? Who's manipulating this vehicle ? Hungry kids in Haiti ? NASA ?

No my friends, it's Howard Stern's fault.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PLE:

No attack on you, however you are out of character here.

Anytime, Glen Beck is involved in a thread and is mentioned makes the thread political.

Regarding Goldline and Glen Beck, you can be assured that I am not a fan of either of them.

However, Goldline is primarily known as a bullion dealer is not really known as a US coin dealer and thus this thread belongs in the precious metals forum which does seem to permit some slight semi-political discussion as it is inherent when discussing bullion.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    I'm by no means a currency expert but JEC has some stiff prices on the $500-$10,000 notes IMHO.
  • Options
    Missouri Order Against Goldline

Ordered to return $217,000 and pay $32,000 fine into a state investor education and protection fund.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file