Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just got an email from the PNG. - Possible Negative Story

There are indications that a New York area member of the U.S. House of Representatives will publicly criticize the business practices of a major gold dealer (who is NOT affiliated with the PNG) tomorrow, Tuesday, May 18.

Because of anticipated news coverage of his negative comments, you may get questions from your current or prospective retail customers about your profit margins, the costs you charge for precious metal bullion coins above their melt value, and so on. The anticipated stories may add to the confusion some customers -- and members of the news media -- already have about differences between bullion coins and rare coins, either raw or with third-party grading.

Perhaps your customers won't ask, but if you do hear from them you should be prepared to candidly and concisely talk to them about these important topics and clear up any misunderstandings or confusion. Your local news media might contact you for comments or to photograph gold coins at your store or office.
Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this is just an election year stunt to get some publicity and a few votes.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if this is just an election year stunt to get some publicity and a few votes. >>

image What ever made you think something like that.image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "...business practices of a major gold dealer..."

Would that be on the buying or selling end?

My guess is it's a buyer who claims to be paying high prices for your gold, but is actually offering very little as compared to melt.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I hope local media will distribute a list of misconceptions, confusion and pricing questions so dealers can be ready.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"...business practices of a major gold dealer..."

My guess is it's a buyer who claims to be paying high prices for your gold, but is actually offering very little as compared to melt. >>

Hopefully, you're right!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sooner or later they'll all have to submit.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are indications that a New York area member of the U.S. House of Representatives will publicly criticize the business practices of a major gold dealer...

The solution, of course, is to regulate the business and to redistribute some tax dollars to people stupid enough to have lost money.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no difference other than coins can sell for more. But if the client is well educated about coins, his participation in the market thereof may have some reserves, limits..... self control.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    mumumumu Posts: 1,840

<< <i>"...business practices of a major gold dealer..."

My guess is it's a buyer who claims to be paying high prices for your gold, but is actually offering very little as compared to melt. >>

I bet its goldline. They like to advertise on politic related media outlets so it only makes sense theyd draw attention.
  • Options
    There are indications that a New York area member of the U.S. House of Reprehensibles will publicly criticize the business practices of a major gold dealer (who is NOT affiliated with the PNG) tomorrow, Tuesday, May 18.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    Kudos to the PNG for giving members advance warning of this news.

There's big money in gold and it's no surprise that the gov't would start looking around. The coin industry is likely to see increased scrutiny thanks to the dollar volume. Just a fact of life...
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

<< <i>There are indications that a New York area member of the U.S. House of Representatives will publicly criticize the business practices of a major gold dealer...

The solution, of course, is to regulate the business and to redistribute some tax dollars to people stupid enough to have lost money. >>

I hope you aren't serious. Redistribution of tax dollars to stupid people is IMHO is "STUPID". With the current government I can see how that will be the solution but they better get it done before November.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be no surprise this Congress and White House would choose another group of individuals to demonize. Just add Gold Dealers to the already long list.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are indications that a New York area member of the U.S. House of Representatives will publicly criticize the business practices of a major gold dealer...

The solution, of course, is to regulate the business and to redistribute some tax dollars to people stupid enough to have lost money.[/q

Andy, I assume and hope this reply was made in jest and sarcastic in nature
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    Andy, I assume and hope this reply was made in jest and sarcastic in nature

Not at all. This is America. Get with the program.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    We need a "Bullion Czar"
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i><< There are indications that a New York area member of the U.S. House of Representatives will publicly criticize the business practices of a major gold dealer...

The solution, of course, is to regulate the business and to redistribute some tax dollars to people stupid enough to have lost money. >>
    >>

<< <i>Andy, I assume and hope this reply was made in jest and sarcastic in nature

Not at all. This is America. Get with the program. >>

Hey Andy, You have more money than I do, give me some of yours. You have a nicer car than I do. Sell it and give me half the money. Hey Andy, you have a nicer house than I do. Sell it and give me half the money.

That is NOT my America. This country was built on the backs of hard-working self-responsible people who took their lumps when times were bad and made it rich from the sweat of their own brow, not from handouts from a liberal nanny-state government eager to reward the laziest and the dumbest and punish the smartest and the hardest working.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Andy, You have more money than I do, give me some of yours. You have a nicer car than I do. Sell it and give me half the money. Hey Andy, you have a nicer house than I do. Sell it and give me half the money.

That is NOT my America. This country was built on the backs of hard-working self-responsible people who took their lumps when times were bad and made it rich from the sweat of their own brow, not from handouts from a liberal nanny-state government eager to reward the laziest and the dumbest and punish the smartest and the hardest working. >>

Where have you been?
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    I'd like to believe the following:

Good Story start for Numismatists:
    "A popular-again but deceptive "coin and bullion" dealer trend showing up in many of our nation's cities is really nothing other than profiteering or outright piracy in sleezy, marketing-savvy rags. This type of company lures unsuspecting, greedy or even ignorant customers to shady, temporary hotels or backroom meeting areas and fleeces bullion in any form ("unwanted" jewelry, old coins, etc.) from them with the promise of high prices. But when one analyzes the quotes received from these fly-by-night operations, especially in light of the remarkable rise in bullion prices in recent months, an informed customer realizes the prices offered are far below those offered by legitimate, professional coin and bullion dealers..."

Bad Story start for Numismatists:
    "Yet another example of American Greed has been noted by Governmental Authorities and is attracting the ire of the Senate and House leadership: Coin and bullion dealers. These companies exist on exorbitant fees charged to unsuspecting and trusting customers who bring in cherished family heirlooms or valuable mementos believing these dealers will offer fair prices, but walk out of these stores saddened by the ridiculously low prices offered. Some customers have reportedly visited the same store the next day and see their "difficult to sell" or "not too valuable" item offered for sale 2x or 3x or more than what they were paid..."

I wonder which method will be employed? <Apple-to-orange comparison (gold-party "company" vs. dealer store-front) intentional...>
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    is 'cash for gold' a major gold dealer?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>is 'cash for gold' a major gold dealer? >>

cashforgold will give you a decent deal.....but cash4gold will not..... 2 completely different bullion dealers
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    The first shoe is about to drop...
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    timcointimcoin Posts: 674
    Seems like free advertising for Goldline.
  • Options

<< <i>The first shoe is about to drop... >>

Goldline girds for Weiner assault - image

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Weiner assault? HAHAHA. Cheap humor. Gotta love it.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot comment on the merits of the "assault", but superficially, it looks very political.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who would believe a politian or a honest business owner?

I believe most customers will understand that comment !
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Weiner assault? HAHAHA. Cheap humor. Gotta love it. >>

Was there ever a Heinz-Weiner bill in Congress??????

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Weiner assault? HAHAHA. Cheap humor. Gotta love it. >>

Was there ever a Heinz-Weiner bill in Congress??????

image >>

not in congress, but isn't Weiner married to one of the Heinz heirs? image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    But seriously, folks, any real news on this story this morning?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>not in congress, but isn't Weiner married to one of the Heinz heirs? image >>

Not according to wikipedia:

Weiner is engaged to Huma Abedin, a longtime personal aide of Hillary Clinton, to whom he proposed on May 23, 2009.
  • Options
    Weiner said “it’s unacceptable that this company is preying on public fears to sell its products.”

If that's the new standard, the insurance and pharmaceutical industries are going to have to rethink their marketing strategies.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    The Weiner report. (Warning: page loads slowly.)
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Interesting read.

The Congressman would have made a much stronger point if he kept the politics out of it and gave actual examples of what people paid and what they should have paid. Instead, I am left with the impression that the Congressman is using this as a political attack (or perhaps retaliation) against his media opponents and actually have little idea whether Goldline was right or wrong.

Edit: Okay, I broke down and did my own investigation. The prices on the Goldline site seem high to me. However, it is not Dennis Miller or Glenn Beck's job to make sure you get a good deal on your purchase, any more than it is Troy Polomalu's job to make sure your hair is well-conditioned after buying Head-and-Shoulders shampoo. They are paid spokespersons, and everyone knows it.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Another way to look at this is that Goldline is siphoning a lot of money out of the coin and
    bullion market. If 10% of the people buying from Goldline spent their money at a local coin
    show or a local coin shop, and paid reasonable prices for what they are getting, how would
    that be a bad thing? I have seen all the comments about the TV telemarketers on the
    boards -- how is Goldline any different?
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    This is a link to Goldlines reply.

Goldline reply

The attack certainly seems political.

PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    Looks like someone has an ax to grind. Where is the indictment? Is there even a lawsuit?

If nothing else, Goldline should have been embarrased into lowering their markups.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems like goldline has the upper hand now...
    can defamation be called in here?
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    This smacks of a witch hunt to me, had Congressman Weiner stuck to what he felt to be factual information, he might have something here, but to turn this into a partisan whinefest is pathetic and a waste of taxpayer dollars.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if Weiner is operating out of Elliot Spitzer's playbook? Sure smells like the same kind of weasel tactics...

Hope he ends up on the short end of the stick as well.
  • Options
    Beck had the owner of Goldline on today and shredded Weiner . At risk of going " political ", this is another administration attack at Becks advertisers. The AZ based LifeLock will be next.
  • Options

<< <i>Beck had the owner of Goldline on today and shredded Weiner ... >>

There's a shocker!
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    The real irony is that it's the Congressman Weiners of the world that cause me to buy gold.
  • Options

<< <i>There are indications that a New York area member of the U.S. House of Reprehensibles will publicly criticize the business practices of a major gold dealer (who is NOT affiliated with the PNG) tomorrow, Tuesday, May 18.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image >>

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ironically, it's because of lefty congressmen like Weiner that people are buying gold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should be going after Cash4Gold.

I figure the backstory reason may be that this is an attempt to draw connections between advertisers and the talk show hosts. I'm not sure that it would be anything illegal for Goldline to have Glen Beck promote gold ownership while Goldline advertises on his show.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Correct Rick, AND, Beck always discloses that they are a paid sponsor. Goldlines spread on generic Saints seem a bit high tho, but not illegal, and is fully disclosed upfront.
  • Options
    Some guy wasn't sure he wanted to deal with me because I offered him 2% more than his local CoinStarâ„¢ machine pays for his rolls of statehood quarters today

You'd think that was a crime or something. Now who perpetrated this on the people ?
  • Options

<< <i>Ironically, it's because of lefty congressmen like Weiner that people are buying gold. >>

Really? I started buying gold when the economy collapsed during the Bush Administration.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ironically, it's because of lefty congressmen like Weiner that people are buying gold. >>

Really? I started buying gold when the economy collapsed during the Bush Administration. >>

You are correct again Captn......
  • Options
    byergobyergo Posts: 586
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file