Home U.S. Coin Forum

The book about John Ford and the Franklin Hoard

pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last year, Karl Moulton was supposed to publish a "tell-all" book about John J. Ford, Jr. and his connection to the Franklin Hoard USAOG 20's. I was tempted to order the book, but in the end, I couldn't justify the price. To this day, I have seen no further information about the book, even on Karl's website.

Has it indeed been published? Has anyone read it? Have there been any reviews?

Comments

• firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    Here's an update -

When a 500 page draft was shown around at the 2009 ANA convention in Los Angeles, word of the forthcoming book got to Paul Franklin, oldest son of Gerow Paul Franklin - the namesake of the "Franklin Hoard".

A visit was arranged for October. Because of the large amount of previously unknown background information that was so graciously presented by Mr. Franklin, a nearly complete, 7 month re-write was undertaken, thus delaying the book until later this year.

When completed drafts get given to a few select persons for their comments, those will be added as an addenda to the book (at least that is the plan).

As is the case with many worthwhile writing projects, this one will be worth the wait, especially if you are interested in such people, their activities, and territorial and pioneer gold pieces.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    "Good research does not have deadlines."
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that might be a good read. im just not sure ( as stated above ) about the price of it image
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update, Karl.

Do you anticipate having copies of the book in the various numismatic libraries for those of us too poor to afford a copy but with a curious interest in the subject?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Good research does not have deadlines." >>

True, but publishing something always brings out new research!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Plans at this point, are to provide complimenary copies to the ANS and ANA libraries when the book gets finished.

Announcements about ordering will be made when they are ready to ship.

Not wanting to create a 10 pound book resulted in the deletion of several hundred Ford letters to individuals in the 1950s-1970s, however, the pertinent letters regarding Franklin Hoard material and the marketing of such items (most have never been seen) will be included in their entirety.

If anyone has any questions they can pm me.

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    I already ordered a copy. Should be a great book. Kudos to you for writing it!
    Can't wait to see the book, and compare in my own mind what Ford did and was so widely vilified for with what Daniel Carr is currently doing with 1964-D Peace dollars.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I could see the connection, if only DC "found" a bag of 1964-D dollars and marketed them as original.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
    There's a difference?
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many knew him as "John Fraud".

Mike Hodder of ANR/Stacks, a brilliant researcher and now perhaps a fuller-time free-lance consultant, nailed him real good (fake proof territorials, I believe) a few years before Ford got "mad cow".

There are many other stories that would turn your stomach.

He has his defenders too.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
    When is the book coming out?
  • dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    ColonelJessup September 19, 2010

Mike Hodder of ANR/Stacks, a brilliant researcher and now perhaps a fuller-time free-lance consultant, nailed him real good (fake proof territorials, I believe) a few years before Ford got "mad cow".

Mostly nonsense. Hodder was the person who defended Ford at the ANA debate. Unlike ColonelJessup
    I actually knew John Ford and had discussions with him about counterfeits, thefts, and other matters that
    affect the hobby. He worked behind the scenes, for example, in recovering stolen coins.

The "mad cow" joke about alzheimers is not funny. Those who have had friends or relatives go through
    this disease will not appreciate it. It certainly says more about the Colonel than anything else.

Denga

• << <i>ColonelJessup September 19, 2010

Mostly nonsense. Hodder was the person who defended Ford at the ANA debate. Unlike ColonelJessup
    I actually knew John Ford and had discussions with him about counterfeits, thefts, and other matters that
    affect the hobby. He worked behind the scenes, for example, in recovering stolen coins.

The "mad cow" joke about alzheimers is not funny. Those who have had friends or relatives go through
    this disease will not appreciate it. It certainly says more about the Colonel than anything else.

Denga >>

Curiously, do you know that the Colonel didn't know Mr. Ford, as well? And, while I don't claim to have known him, I will say that even if he worked behind the scenes at recovering certain stolen coins (which I appluad), that doesn't necessarily mean that what was posted was mostly nonsense. Regardless, I look forward to the book. And I always enjoy your posts.
  • dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    coinguy1 September 19, 2010

Curiously, do you know that the Colonel didn't know Mr. Ford, as well? And, while I don't claim to have known him, I will say that even if he worked behind the scenes at recovering certain stolen coins (which I appluad), that doesn't necessarily mean that what was posted was mostly nonsense. Regardless, I look forward to the book. And I always enjoy your posts.

Mark Feld

An interesting comment but my post stands as written.

Denga

<< <i>

<< <i>ColonelJessup September 19, 2010

Denga >>

Curiously, do you know that the Colonel didn't know Mr. Ford, as well? And, while I don't claim to have known him, I will say that even if he worked behind the scenes at recovering certain stolen coins (which I appluad), that doesn't necessarily mean that what was posted was mostly nonsense. Regardless, I look forward to the book. And I always enjoy your posts. >>

Perhaps his opinion is based upon his research.
    TD
    I knew him vaguely, and a few of his victims quite well. I have read (did not know first hand) he got quite a few of his items by paying virtually nothing to a widow in either the F.C.C Boyd or Virgil Brand family.

"Mad cow" - write a letter to the writers/producers/sponsors of Boston Legal. Denny Crane.

Retard - write a letter to Rahm Emanuel or Sarah Palin.
    In DSM-III the "developmentally challenged" are classified as having "retarded intellectual development"

Hitler, Goldline - let's call Glenn Beck. OK, ad hominem attacks sometimes do have appropriate targets.

If I was wrong about Mike Hodder, I was wrong. Sorry.
    PCGS will not slab those territorials.

If I was out of line about "mad cow" I can understand some being offended. I've heard the expression used by neurologists. You should hear what is said on Saturday nights in hospital emergency rooms. The rhetoric of victimization seems to define much of American discourse nowadays.

Notwithstanding that, I apologize to anyone whose family has born that pain. If it was yours denga, please note.

Does my slip show an irredeemable character such that everything I say will now be tainted? Will what I say no longer have any kernel of veracity? Your choice.

You knew a different side of Mr. Fraud. I knew him as caustic, arrogant, and not someone I could stand being around.

And he was brilliant and contributed much to the hobby. Walter Breen had worse faults and contributed more. Now THAT will get a little "ad hominem" going, but it's OT.

Let's get back to the book. It sounds seriously good.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    what's the price?

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
    ...caustic, arrogant, and not someone I could stand being around.

Sounds familiar....

Looking forward to the book, but will be patient for the scholarship to mature.
    None of us like looking in the mirror at times. I don't pretend to live in an ivory tower.

Per the Boss "You can't get out of this world, buddy, without your feet a little dirty and your hands a little bloody.

On the other hand, even though you've never been in my presence (assuming it's me you're referring to), I have my moments both ways, so image
  • Just saw the responses and will provide an update.

The book has gone through a year long, major re-write as new information and background was being uncovered and previously unavailable material became available through auction last year.

It's a very complex story, and one that takes a great deal of editing to present it in an objective manner.

The final draft is just now being completed and will now have the format and layout done with Ford's letters and pictures put into place along-side the text. This will take several months to get finished, so around the end of the year, it is planned to finally go to the printer.

Don't know how many pages it will end up being, but probably around 600 or so. The images from the Lilly "donation" now in the Smithsonian will be an eye opener, as many have never been seen or heard of in general numismatic texts. What Ford sold to Stack's for inclusion into the Lilly collection is a group of some 40 ingots that were only guaranteed verbally and never authenticated with any written guarantee of genuineness.

The PNG arbitration proceedings will be examined in detail (some of this has recently appeared in the E-Sylum if anyone has an interest).

The 1999 "Great Debate" will be covered, as well as the ever-changing 21st century developments.

Because of the help from others who have been involved with this decades old situation, there will be plenty of never before seen or known material (coins, bars, letters, and photographs) that will make this particular numismatic volume a one-of-a-kind reference. The price will be in the $350 range if all goes as planned. It is hoped to include copies of the 1982 Henry Clifford sale at this price as well.

This book will be limited to 250 copies or less, and is not intended for a large audience. However, Franklin's sources in Phoenix will be named and the activities for many of the items will be outlined.

Ford's stories of authentication have been difficult to validate, and countless hours have gone into researching them. The result is that most are not based on truth or fact, and this will be exposed.

Please have patience, as this chronicle will be ready when it's ready. Thank you.

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at the Clifford Collection Catalog today. A few pieces caught my eye and my first reaction was - Whoa! That can't be real! Sure enough the pedigree went back to the Franklin hoard. I can't wait for the book.

Karl, If you are taking advance orders, please put me down for one - PM me.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of the controversies involved - and indeed because of them - I think this will be a great book and I am looking forward to getting a copy.

Hell, just this thread about the book has been interesting and entertaining!
  • PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭
    Did I miss this?
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did I miss this? >>

It still has not been published, as far as I am aware.

Like a fine wine, it takes time to mature. image
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still look foward to reading it - have plenty of other books to keep me busy until then. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still not published. I saw a draft at the 2010 ANA. From what I understand, a lot of new information came in that really required holding off publication. Should be an interesting read.
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karl told me that Dave Bowers provided feedback and documents, and that Franklin's son (I think) then gave him access to many other documents of great relevance, all of which has delayed publication.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

• I thought this thread was about a hoard of Franklin Halves. Oh well...........

Everybody's got plans--until they get hit
    --Mike Tyson
  • QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    The book (924 total pages) will be shipped from the printer on May 28th. All pre-ordered books will be sent out the first week of June.

For those who have an interest in this fascinating American numismatic history lesson, the hardcover book is $250, postpaid.

Orders will be taken throughout the summer, but will be shipped around the first week of August (due to being away from home).

Plans are to have a copy to show around and take orders at the ANA in Chicago.

Any questions - please pm me.

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, used Quarternut's old computer to provide the update.

Please contact me at firstmint. Thank you.

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who have an interest in this fascinating American numismatic history lesson, the hardcover book is $250, postpaid.

Would a lower price be possible for those with no interest whatsoever?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

<< <i> For those who have an interest in this fascinating American numismatic history lesson, the hardcover book is $250, postpaid.

Would a lower price be possible for those with no interest whatsoever? >>

How about 3.5% A.P.R.?
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> For those who have an interest in this fascinating American numismatic history lesson, the hardcover book is $250, postpaid.

Would a lower price be possible for those with no interest whatsoever? >>

To steal a line from dentuck, you can borrow it from the ANA library.

Firstmint, is the book being printed by our "friends" in China?
    The book is being printed and bound in the USA.

The ANA doesn't wish to purchase a copy of this work.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Can'tcha donate a copy for a tax writeoff?

• CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>The book is being printed and bound in the USA.

The ANA doesn't wish to purchase a copy of this work. >>

I wish you luck with your sales but at that price the ANA might have the best game plan image
  • DAVEatHLRCDAVEatHLRC Posts: 177 ✭✭

<< <i>The book (924 total pages) will be shipped from the printer on May 28th. All pre-ordered books will be sent out the first week of June.

Orders will be taken throughout the summer, but will be shipped around the first week of August (due to being away from home).

Plans are to have a copy to show around and take orders at the ANA in Chicago.

Any questions - please pm me. >>

I pre-ordered a copy a while back. Can't wait to dig in. Thanks for writing it, Firstmint.
    Please visit Dave Wnuck Numismatics LLC at DaveWcoins.com

Thank you for having the publishing done in the USA.

Does the ANA object to the price or to the content?

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember a conversation I had with Abe Kosoff
    back in 1974 or so, about a Proof$20 Territorial I was
    offered by another coin dealer in Bevery Hills.

It looked fantastic, 'too good to be true',
    and as I started to ask around about it, I got
    some warnings as to authenticity.

As I remember, Kosoff strongly implied that the
    coin was counterfeit, and Ford was the source.
    My memory was that Kosoff didn't think much
    of Ford, due to that, and probably other matters.

I'll be interested in seeing the book at the ANA,
    and probably ordering a copy.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I very much look forward to getting my copy (and getting the time to read it). Ford was a controversial figure, like Sheldon and Breen, who has had a lasting influence on the hobby in the U.S. He was also pretty ruthless, and controversial numismatic collectibles that he sold wound up in prominent collections (e.g., those of the Norwebs and Lilly (later given to the Smithsonian)) and he was involved in numerous incidents. There were items that were added to the Redbook, and later removed due to uncertainties concerning authenticity, for example. He once famously noted that he collected what was not in the Redbook, and greatly contributed to interest in numismatic literature, medals, currency, tokens, and other types of exonumia.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
    The ANA didn't want to purchase the book because of the price. I don't need a tax write off either. Perhaps if enough members would like to borrow the book, they will reconsider their position.

Fred W. - I'll be happy to see you with the book in hand at the ANA (yes, Kosoff was one of the first to question the "proof" USAOG $20 coins back in 1958. John J Pittman was another who questioned the coins when they first appeared). The letters between Ford & Kosoff and Ford and Pittman are in the book, along with hundreds of others.

<< <i>The ANA didn't want to purchase the book because of the price. I don't need a tax write off either. Perhaps if enough members would like to borrow the book, they will reconsider their position.

Fred W. - I'll be happy to see you with the book in hand at the ANA (yes, Kosoff was one of the first to question the "proof" USAOG $20 coins back in 1958. John J Pittman was another who questioned the coins when they first appeared). The letters between Ford & Kosoff and Ford and Pittman are in the book, along with hundreds of others. >>

Tell you what.....sell me one at the pre-publication price, and I will donate it to the ANA Library after I am done with it.

TD
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>None of us like looking in the mirror at times. I don't pretend to live in an ivory tower.

Per the Boss "You can't get out of this world, buddy, without your feet a little dirty and your hands a little bloody.

On the other hand, even though you've never been in my presence (assuming it's me you're referring to), I have my moments both ways, so image >>

I really, really like this from the Colonel. image
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Does the ANA object to the price or to the content? >>

I agree with Tom, and find it unusual that the ANA wouldn't purchase 1 copy for their library for monetary reasons. They couldn't find $250 in the book budget? It would appear to be the case that, though it's not a cheap book, as books go, what organization would be better defined as a "target audience" of such a work?

Sure seems as though the ANA is fubar beyond belief. Glad I never was tempted to join such an organization.
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    I also pre ordered the Ford Book awhile ago and am very eager to read it. Karl, thank you for writing this! It must have been a difficult and long process. TomT.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
    Karl,

924 pages image

A really fascinating topic, but many Forum members who are still reading the 6000+ page tax code and the ANA By-Laws will nevertheless want to know something more about that $250 price.

"Does this include shipping?"

Please do not dignify this comment with a response

Magnum opus. Bravo ! image
    TD - You're on. I hope they put a small notice inside that you are the one donating this work (but don't expect it though).

CJ - Of course it's postpaid, but I won't say anything about it in my response to you.

Tom T. - Thank you for the pre-order. Yes, it's certainly been a long time to fruition, but that was necessary to make sure the presentation was objective and the research was complete as possible.

Regarding orders, I will be away for several weeks, and can't send any books that are ordered after the first week of June. However, will be back a few weeks before the ANA show and can send out copies then.

The target audience for this book is everyone who calls themselves a numismatist.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Does the ANA object to the price or to the content? >>

I agree with Tom, and find it unusual that the ANA wouldn't purchase 1 copy for their library for monetary reasons. They couldn't find $250 in the book budget? It would appear to be the case that, though it's not a cheap book, as books go, what organization would be better defined as a "target audience" of such a work?

Sure seems as though the ANA is fubar beyond belief. Glad I never was tempted to join such an organization. >>

They are conserving funds in case they need to terminate three more EDs over the next few years...

<< <i>TD - You're on. I hope they put a small notice inside that you are the one donating this work (but don't expect it though).

CJ - Of course it's postpaid, but I won't say anything about it in my response to you.

Tom T. - Thank you for the pre-order. Yes, it's certainly been a long time to fruition, but that was necessary to make sure the presentation was objective and the research was complete as possible.

Regarding orders, I will be away for several weeks, and can't send any books that are ordered after the first week of June. However, will be back a few weeks before the ANA show and can send out copies then.

The target audience for this book is everyone who calls themselves a numismatist. >>

I'll write it on the title page before I give it to them.

Send me a direct with the address to send the check to.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file