Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The book about John Ford and the Franklin Hoard

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karl,
    Perhaps you could just send CJ the Cliff Notes version, since he seems concerned about shipping costs and page count.image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take it in PDF form, but I don't have a mainframe. image

Karl,

Email (not PM) me the address for ordering one and I'll deal with resultant chiropractic issues as they might occur image

Email address is in my profile.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    DAVEatHLRCDAVEatHLRC Posts: 177 ✭✭

<< <i>

Tell you what.....sell me one at the pre-publication price, and I will donate it to the ANA Library after I am done with it.

TD >>

You are a class act, CaptHenway!
    Please visit Dave Wnuck Numismatics LLC at DaveWcoins.com
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

FirstMint: <<The ANA didn't want to purchase the book because of the price. I don't need a tax write off either. Perhaps if enough members would like to borrow the book, they will reconsider their position.>>

This position should be reconsidered. Has the opinion of Dwight Manley been sought?

Also, is the American Numismatic Society (ANS) purchasing a copy?
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    Analyst -

Dwight Manley has pre-ordered a book, so has Dr. Wartenberg- Kagan, Executive Director at the ANS.

Don't know if these particular copies will end up in the ANA or ANS libraries.

PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karl, will you have a few copies at the ANA to fulfill impulse purchases after people see the sample?

I am on the fence about ordering one, but may jump on it after having seen it if you have them for immediate delivery.
  • Options
    preubas - I will definitely have a copy with me at ANA to examine; will be taking orders at that time for immediate delivery after the ANA show.

Will be talking to Don Kagin in the near future and see if I can arrange to have copies for sale with him at his table (maybe a book signing as well?). We'll see.

Also, will briefly talk about the book at the NBS and the SPPN meetings.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FirstMint: <<The ANA didn't want to purchase the book because of the price. I don't need a tax write off either. Perhaps if enough members would like to borrow the book, they will reconsider their position.>>

This position should be reconsidered. Has the opinion of Dwight Manley been sought?

Also, is the American Numismatic Society (ANS) purchasing a copy? >>

The ANA Library will get my copy after I am done with it. I can take it along on my honeymoon and read it in my spare time.......

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>The ANA Library will get my copy after I am done with it. I can take it along on my honeymoon and read it in my spare time.......

image >>

I suggest you give it to your in-laws in the next room each night before the sun goes down. They will be so grateful that perhaps they will serve you and your bride breakfast in bed every morning imageimageimageimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>FirstMint: <<The ANA didn't want to purchase the book because of the price. I don't need a tax write off either. Perhaps if enough members would like to borrow the book, they will reconsider their position.>>

Also, is the American Numismatic Society (ANS) purchasing a copy? >>

The ANA Library will get my copy after I am done with it. I can take it along on my honeymoon and read it in my spare time.......

image >>

LOL! Happy Honeymoon Tom, and much happiness to you. image
  • Options
    Just got my copy---a cursory perusal left me quite impressed with the amount of information included.
    Plus, I will be able to use it as a barbell when I'm done. Maybe I will pair it with Highfill's book on silver dollars, QDB's California Gold Rush History, or.....image

• Options
    Screw four legs on it and make a coffee table book out of it!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My copy is on the way, apparently my 2009 pre-order was still good!!! image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    All of the pre-orders were sent out this week. A few that I need addresses for will go out the first week of August when I return from vacation.

Anyone wishing to order a copy can send a check to me at:

Karl Moulton
    PO Box 1073
    Congress, AZ 85332

Thanks!

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    Quarternut's old computer got me again...(it's tough buying used equipment.)

The post was from firstmint.

• Options
    Got the book today. The postal worker is probably still cursing at Karl.

Question for ANA members only---since I am going to donate this copy to the ANA Library when I am finished with it (some time before Halley's Comet makes its reappearance, I hope), I am tempted to write marginal notes in it for posterity, if I think of anything worth mentioning. Would this be sacrilege?

Do you ANA members object? It is, after all, still my property.

TD
  • Options

<< <i>Got the book today. The postal worker is probably still cursing at Karl.

Question for ANA members only---since I am going to donate this copy to the ANA Library when I am finished with it (some time before Halley's Comet makes its reappearance, I hope), I am tempted to write marginal notes in it for posterity, if I think of anything worth mentioning. Would this be sacrilege?

Do you ANA members object? It is, after all, still my property. >>

It would be sacrilege, but I, for one, would find your comments an interesting addition or amplification to the book regardless.

I'm still on the fence about ordering a copy of my own.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to reading the book. I'll go to the PO box in the morning.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    >>

I write all over my books, except the really valuable ones. Have at it. Books are information, the more the better.

The only thing I would object to is if you don't give the librarian advance notice that I get to be the first one to borrow it image
  • Options
    GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    The intrigue has me hooked. I'm going to have to order a copy!
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got my copy. Thanks Karl. It is huge and full of great information. 900 pages, hardcover, full color.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    Preordered a copy through HKA at Long Beach. Looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Some thoughts on Karl's new book:
    1. The long-running controversy concerning fake bars (mostly gold) and coins likely includes the most important series of events in post-WWII U.S. numismatics, certainly in terms of the personalities involved. And it ain't over.
    2. Who were the actual producers of the fakes? Not Ford, probably not Franklin. Were they even made in the U.S.?
    3. There were prominent numismatists who were adamantly opposed to a number of the pieces, including Newman, Bressett, Buttry, and Kleeberg. Ford also had his defenders, including Adams and Hodder. Do the latter individuals now feel differently, particularly in view of more thorough studies that have emerged since Ford's death?
    4. There is reason to believe that Ford persuaded some wealthy collectors to buy pieces that are likely not genuine, so it is possible that these will surface in this century. Further, some pieces likely to be deemed controversial were not put up for auction when the bulk of Ford's collection was sold. Where are these now, and who made the decision to leave them out?
    5. Who carried out the 'due diligence' on behalf of the U.S. government, aside from Vladimir Clain-Stefanelli, when the Lilly collection was offered to the Smithsonian in exchange for a tax benefit? Were any experts in pioneer/territorial ingots and coins involved?
    6. I did not see what I feel is ironclad proof that Ford knew he was pushing fakes, but I believe that the circumstantial evidence is very strong.
    7. Ford did not inherit much, and spent much of his life working for others. His business ventures (numismatic publishing, NASCA) couldn't have made him wealthy. How did he manage to acquire the wherewithal to put together such enormous collections (numismatic pieces, literature, guns, etc.)?
    8. Why did John Ford and Charles Wormser part company? Ford's appearance drastically changed the visibility of New Netherlands, and his cataloging for NN auctions set a new standard for numismatic auction catalogs.
    9. Clearly, a number of well-known collectors and dealers distrusted Ford. His involvement in numerous incidents was common knowledge, yet there were dealers who continued to do business with him.
    10. What was the nature of Ford's involvement with Walter Breen? Breen clearly had a rocky relationship with Ford, and may have even been afraid of him. Interestingly, Breen did publicly defend Ford, but then quietly noted at one point that he no longer believed that Ford was leveling with him regarding the controversial gold pieces and ingots.

When all of this shakes out, decades from now, there will be fodder enough for a second volume.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is fascinating reading. I like the year-by-year structure of the chapters. Also the heavy use of letters. Sadly this type of documentation will be unavailable to future researchers regarding our present era.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    I wonder if Stack's kept photographs and/or any other information on the 700 or so ounces of bars from Ford's collection that it consigned to the melting pot.
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    Karl, thank you! I received the book last week and am up to pg. 730. What a great read! This book really exposes the seedy underbelly of numismatics in a very entertaining way. TomT.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The interesting thing is that it seems like some of those coins are still slabbed, unlike the Micro o's....
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capt, I think your notes would be welcome...sign the book, so the link isn't lost, as well.

I have read, and don't remember where, that Ford got most of his rare stuff by buying the stuff below market because Wormser, et. al., did not know what most of it even was. It was a classic example of a dealer competing against his own customers. I'd certainly like to know more on this...were there no other bidders for a lot of this stuff, or was Ford playing games?
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>Capt, I think your notes would be welcome...sign the book, so the link isn't lost, as well.

I have read, and don't remember where, that Ford got most of his rare stuff by buying the stuff below market because Wormser, et. al., did not know what most of it even was. It was a classic example of a dealer competing against his own customers. I'd certainly like to know more on this...were there no other bidders for a lot of this stuff, or was Ford playing games? >>

A lot of the stuff that ended up in his collection was non-standard stuff that had thin markets, and it was hard to say what something was worth. This is not to say that he did not take advantage of the situation, but the lines were vague.

When I decided to start serious collecting Thomas Elder material in 1976 (after seeing an exhibit of them at the ANA convention in New York), I would get a catalogue from Joe Levine and just bid $100 on any piece I did not have, and win it for from $7-$10. Over the years the underbidders kept raising their bids to where I was paying $30-$40 for comparable pieces, but I didn't care. I was young, single and had money to burn.

What was that $7 piece worth? The $7 I paid for it, or the $100 I was willing to pay?

• Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Stack's kept photographs and/or any other information on the 700 or so ounces of bars from Ford's collection that it consigned to the melting pot.

One would think they would have published this information for the interest and/or betterment of the hobby. Or, even if only to say what a great firm they are that they wouldn't try to sell questionalble material. Or did they have some reason to want to make the material disappear ASAP?
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Dang it, I'm hooked! Check goes out tomorrow.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the notes are valuable, they are more than welcome. However, if I see a handwritten "Lunch with gang Tuesday 1PM" on page 328, I would not be amused.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Question for ANA members only---since I am going to donate this copy to the ANA Library when I am finished with it (some time before Halley's Comet makes its reappearance, I hope), I am tempted to write marginal notes in it for posterity, if I think of anything worth mentioning. Would this be sacrilege?

If the notes are valuable, they are more than welcome. However, if I see a handwritten "Lunch with gang Tuesday 1PM" on page 328, I would not be amused. >>

I shall not make note of any hockey scores either......

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about some notes like "Lunch with gang Tuesday 1PM to pass around a real 1964-D Peace dollar" image
  • Options
    I picked up my copy today at the post office.

All I can say is "Wow!" If you like numismatic history, provenance, intrigue, controversy, colorful characters, solid sourcing, and entertaining reading, then this book is for you. I've only scratched the surface and this is already one of my favorite numismatic works. Congratulations to Karl and to all of those who collaborated on the volume!
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Good research does not have deadlines." >>

Not true for professional writers trying to make a living, or the publishing houses wanting the books. But very true for tenured academics who undertake writing projects they talk about at parties for years, but somehow never get around to finishing them. image
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received my copy a few days ago. It's a beast. I'll probably never get through the whole thing. But there are boatloads of original documents in here, and for that reason alone this will be a valuable reference to anyone interested in researching western gold.
  • Options
    Finished my copy a few days ago.

Brilliant and bent. Superb story. Read like a detective novel. Ungodly good research and a very smooth read. Somehow I got some Madoff resonance.

As may be most useful for many members, MANY MANY PICTURES. image Bars, dies, coin PICTURES..... History....... Invoices, correspondence......

The biggest names of the time. imageimageimage

And a very interesting twist in the last chapter image

• Options
    ColonelJessup or anyone, do you want to sell your gently-used copy to those of us who, as Mr. Eureka says, "have no interest whatsoever?"
  • Options

<< <i>Finished my copy a few days ago.

Brilliant and bent. Superb story. Read like a detective novel. Ungodly good research and a very smooth read. Somehow I got some Madoff resonance.

As may be most useful for many members, MANY MANY PICTURES. image Bars, dies, coin PICTURES..... History....... Invoices, correspondence......

And a very interesting twist in the last chapter image >>

Yeah, the Butler did it!

• Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

I write all over my books, except the really valuable ones. Have at it. Books are information, the more the better.
    >>

Is this person loaning the book to the ANA, or donating it? If they're donating, the answer, firmly, is no--do not deface it. Anyone is entitled to write marginal notes on their own books. It's their property, after all. But if the book is donated or loaned for the purpose of having it read by others, these new readers have an expectation of being subjected to the author's words and nobody else's. Writing "additional comments" is drawing yourself up to the equal of the author, and imposing yourself on their work. It's just wrong. Most people are taught from childhood not to write on library books. This holds for grownups, too.
    This rule holds for everyone regardless of standing. I don't think Monet would have painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa, on the premise that he was improving Da Vinci's good work.
    If someone wants to inject additional information on an author's work, they can always write their own book. Or write a review of the book somewhere (like here).

• Options
    The book is mine. At some point I will be donating it to the ANA Library.
  • Options
    One doesn't have to have an interest in western history or western gold to benefit from this great book. It has such depth and breadth that virtually any numismatist will find numerous areas of interest. Please don't let the "price of admission" be a deterrent. I don't believe that one could independently replicate the unique information contained therein for a hundred times the book's cost.

I predict that this terrific tome will become a standard reference in the field of American Numismatics for many years to come.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Finished my copy a few days ago.

And a very interesting twist in the last chapter image >>

Well stated, and just to elaborate your point, as an example, here is one of the pictures featured in the book (which I can here post since I was the photographer of this photo for which Karl graciously sought my permission to include it in his book.)

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not wanting to create a 10 pound book resulted in the deletion of several hundred Ford letters to individuals in the 1950s-1970s, however, the pertinent letters … will be included … >>

Fair enough. Perhaps a collection of those "several hundred letters" would make a nice supplemental?

<< <i>This book will be limited to 250 copies or less, and is not intended for a large audience >>

firstmint, is this one of the reasons for the high sticker? I know there are other legitimate factors in the equation but it seems like this would be pertinent. May I ask why the "mintage" has been restricted to such a low number?

Also, the latter half of that statement seems to contradict this comment:

<< <i>The target audience for this book is everyone who calls themselves a numismatist. >>

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    For those who posted, I wish to say "Thank you" for your comments.

Since the book became so voluminous (in a desire to have as much information in one place), there were unrelated "chatty" letters deleted. I doubt many would enjoy them or find value in such things and hence, not worth the price to publish them.

Speaking of price, the reason the number was low for the print run is due primarily to the cost factors. It's a big book (over 900 pages and plenty of color). There were slightly over 400 copies made. That is a reasonable amount for the interest and demand and I'm sure there will be copies available for several years.

The real number of dedicated numismatists (one who studies and collects money and medals) in this country is surprisingly low, especially when compared to the number of people who are buying coins (I certainly hope this doesn't get taken out of context and made into an issue...it's just an observation after 50 years). When I attended the "Great Debate" at the ANA convention in 1999, there were probably 9-10 thousand people who registered. There were approximately 250 who attended the debate. Private and Territorial gold pieces are not mainstream, yet those who study this area of numismatics are among the most inquisitive and scholarly.

The original John Ford documents seen in the book (from the Ford estate sales) were not cheap (over 5 figures-for documents?, really!). A similar accumulation of background documents (not as complete as what's in the Ford book) sold earlier this year from the Clain-Stefanelli archives for $9500.

John J Ford, Jr. and the "Franklin Hoard" is an extensive (and many parts previously unknown) history lesson that any numismatist would instantly realize the value of what's inside.
  • Options
    I predict that the 400 copies will sell out.
    TD
  • Options
    Getting near the end. Has been a fascinating read.
  • Options
    A second read called for despite dire warnings from my chiropractor. imageimage

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    Received my copy in the mail a month or so ago- thank you. Was in the queue behind Paul Franklin's "Anatomy of an Ingot", now finished, which was a good warmup on the "Hungarian syndicate" of Western assayers.

This one deserves full attention, and will take some time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file