Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ammonia?

MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently picked up a 1900 5 pfennig in change that was covered in grime and green spots. I washed it in warm water and soaked it in acetone for a couple hours. No change. Next I dropped it in ammonia for two minutes and was surprised that it came out without any grime or green spots but still seemed to have it's original luster. I search a lot of rolls so I get a lot of really dirty coins and figured I'd try it on a couple Walkers I pulled from a roll and they seemed to go through the same transformation. A google search turned up some more info on ammonia including this from PCGS-

linky

Would this be considered a dip, cleaning or conservation. Just wondering. The pfennig was definitely heading to the trash but now sits in my world coin collection in a 2x2. I don't really sell any coins but if I did what would the pfennig be classified as?

Maine_Jim

Comments

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Good thing to ask before using on good coins. Did you use straight household ammonia? --Jerry
  • Options
    I used straight white ammonia. Then rinsed in tap water as that was all I had around.

Maine_Jim
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Would this be considered a dip, cleaning or conservation. Just wondering.

As you dipped it and cleaned it, I vote yes.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    My concern with using any of these chemicals is the long-term effect on the coin. It may look great the minute that it comes from the dip, but there's always something left on (or in) the coin's surface after a water rinse. Unless neutralized properly to completely remove any residue, you might end up with a spotted or black coin once it's exposed to air for a period of months/years.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard that Ammonia works well on some coins but not all coins.

As was said before, make sure that you rinse the coin completely.

Ammonia is NOT dipping. NO metal is being removed.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of at least one dealer that uses sudsy ammonia to clean dirty gold coins and another dealer that uses lemon juice for cleaning dirty gold coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    something to play with now image tanks
  • Options

<< <i>I know of at least one dealer that uses sudsy ammonia to clean dirty gold coins and another dealer that uses lemon juice for cleaning dirty gold coins. >>

Ammonia is an alkali (pH 11.6) and lemon juice is an acid (pH 2). Both remove metal, unlike organic solvents such as alcohol and acetone.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure to dip it in bleach right after the ammonia dip. Then take a deep whif of the fumes. image

edited to add: Can't believe I wrote that. What you really want to do is pre-mix the amonia and bleach, then use THAT as the dip! image

edited again to add: NOTE: SARCASM! Have a nice day!
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Make sure to dip it in bleach right after the ammonia dip. Then take a deep whif of the fumes. image

edited to add: Can't believe I wrote that. What you really want to do is pre-mix the amonia and bleach, then use THAT as the dip! image

edited again to add: NOTE: SARCASM! Have a nice day! >>

Mixing a household ammonia product with chlorine bleach will generate chlorine gas---this will cause respiratory problems.
    I know from experience---I did exactly this in our garage when I was about 12, and briefly gassed myself.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ammonia is NOT dipping. NO metal is being removed. >>

Isn't silver reactive with ammonia, maybe forming some type of silver nitrate? TomB could straighten me out, as my chem classes are WAY behind me....
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    No, silver is not reactive with ammonia. I often see people saying "_______ removes metal" and I challenge them to provide the chemical reaction by which silver replaces some chemical constituent and they can't. --jerry

Now lots of things can remove metal from copper coins.

If you google "ammonia coin conservation" you'll find many links. Many are in the metal detecting world. We have to remember that there are many different meanings to "cleaning" coins. Cleaning gunk off of pocket change is much different than preserving, doctoring, or harshly cleaning a proof trade dollar.

Generally, the term "cleaned" has been used to mean hairlined by harsh cleaning but in threads like this I see people using it otherwise and it gets confusing. Not that one or the other is right but it is confusing.

--Jerry

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    silver chloride is reactive with ammonia

silver chloride areas are the white spots seen on some silver proof coins and American Eagles

back to original question ->Would this be considered a dip, cleaning or conservation?

you could make valid arguments for any of these depending on your perspective, time of exposure, and concentration of ammonia in the solution you are using.
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I would follow your final rinse with a reagent grade acetone dip. If my gray matter is functioning properly, this will neutralize and stabilize the surfaces.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I used straight white ammonia. Then rinsed in tap water as that was all I had around. >>

I've always heard that Distilled Water should be used instead of Tap.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When rinsing, after a dip, it is best to first use pure alcohol (or reasonably pure), then follow it with running, hot, DI water for two minutes(heat in microwave in glass bowl). This should be followed by a hot air dry. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What you really want to do is pre-mix the amonia and bleach >>

I've always enjoyed combining the cleaning power of ammonia with the whitening power of bleach!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used ammonia on some clad Kennedy Halves that had yucky die grease on the surfaces. Rinsed thoroughly with running tap water and patted dry with clean towels. The last time I looked, they showed no detrimental signs of the cleanings.

Ammonia is a cleaner/degreaser, but I don't know that it would react with metals. Maybe it would under some circumstances, TomB might know the answer to that. Ammonia is a strong base and would neutralize acid residues or react with salt deposits that have formed on a coin. Ammonia is infinitely soluble in water, so there is no need to use acetone or alcohol as a secondary rinse, although a secondary rinse with an organic solvent would help in drying the coin.

It does make a fairly good glass cleaner.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Make sure to dip it in bleach right after the ammonia dip. Then take a deep whif of the fumes. image

Mixing a household ammonia product with chlorine bleach will generate chlorine gas---this will cause respiratory problems.
    I know from experience---I did exactly this in our garage when I was about 12, and briefly gassed myself. >>

The first funeral I attended as a kid was for a young adult who had been doing household cleaning which I always suspected included mixing those two ingredients.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When rinsing, after a dip, it is best to first use pure alcohol (or reasonably pure), then follow it with running, hot, DI water for two minutes(heat in microwave in glass bowl). This should be followed by a hot air dry. Cheers, RickO >>

You missed a few steps ricko, after the hot air dry you should........soak the coin in 30 weight oil for one hour and pat dry, follow that by a 20 minute rinse in pure ethanol and than set the ethanol on fire (yes with the coin still in it) until it has all burned away.
    Now all you have to do is throw the coin away and keep the container.
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    Are we talking about beyond hope kinda of coins?
    I think it might tone your coins good chance anyway.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options

<< <i>No, silver is not reactive with ammonia. I often see people saying "_______ removes metal" and I challenge them to provide the chemical reaction by which silver replaces some chemical constituent and they can't. --jerry >>

Reaction of silver with ammonia
    Ammonia precipitates Ag+ as brown/black oxide.

2 Ag+ (aq) + 2 NH3 (aq) + H2O (l) Ag2O (s) [brown/black] + 2 NH4+ (aq)

In excess, ammonia dissolves the precipitate, forming a diamine silver complex.

Ag2O (s) + 4 NH3 (aq) + H2O (l) 2 [Ag(NH3)2]+ (aq) + 2 OH- (aq)
  • Options
    Well I just got home from work and see a few interesting suggestions here. I hadn't considered the bleach idea - also maybe the full strength ammonia was a bit harsh in this situation. That is what made me wonder if this was thought of as a dip and my initial question. Is this a dip, clean or conservation? This coin certainly met the conservation need! That pfennig was just coated in crap and covered in green and seemed like it was heading for the trash if it was left like that. It also made me wonder how many forum members had used the same ammonia treatment on coins. Anyone else out there use ammonia in a situation like I described?

Maine_Jim
  • Options
    Jim,
    This ain't chem lab and there is a lot of misinformation and tongue in cheek info in the thread now. I'd stay away from bleach as it contains HCl which is one of the few chemicals that can attack silver.

I don't believe neutralizing is necessary if rinsing is adequate. Those who rinse in DI water run a risk of not rinsing enough and I think that is the key to failure in dipping and liquid cleaning coins. Rinse for minutes in tap water and then iff you rally think you need to, rinse in DI water. the amount of minerals in a few droplets of water on the coin is not measurable, especially since you'll pat it dry.

Whether ammonia is appropriate really depends on what you're cleaning.

--Jerry
  • Options
    Hey Jerry - I know the thread slid quickly to humor and chemistry class with few people agreeing as to how it should be used. I wonder how many silver and nickel coins have seen this process? After putting a few coins through this treatment I think it is safe to say that quite a few of the coins listed on ebay tonight have seen this wash. Will PCGS even grade a coin if it suspects it has been through this process?

Maine_Jim
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I know from experience---I did exactly this in our garage when I was about 12, and briefly gassed myself. >>

It is a little more complicated than that.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of chemicals would one find on the NCS "list of approved chemicals" for cleaning coins? In other words, what chemicals can be used on coins that will leave the coins surfaces acceptable to a professional grader?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    I thought I'd bring this one back up as the dipping question came up tonight. I've cleaned up a few more of my circulated and ms coins and been happy with the results. It seems that if used judiciously and not at full strength this can be a good way to deal with grime and heavily soiled coins.

Maine_Jim
  • Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>

Yup! Been there,done that! 12 years old? de'javu....all over again.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yup! Been there,done that! 12 years old? de'javu....all over again. >>

Every 12 year old budding chemist has done that, along with setting fire to many things while "testing" the flammability of that box of wooden stick matches.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file