Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is a coin "dreck" if it's a solid 64 in a 65 holder?

What if the owner bought it for 63 money?

Comments

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Yes, dreck can be PQ, or not PQ.
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    But is it "dreck" based merely on being overgraded. That's what I meant by the question.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An MS-64 is a nice coin unless it is a very modern piece that normally is seen in MS or PR-65 or better. The fact that the grading service over graded it should not make it "dreck" for a collector who truly loves the hobby. The problem is such coins are often over priced because of the over grading.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think "dreck" is in the eye of the beholder and that this term is used by some dealers to denigrate other dealer's coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup
    Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    "Dreck" is a proprietary term but as I pointed out in the Legend thread and Mark Feld agreed and expanded upon, this is one of the most difficult situations facing the collector and the dealer.

--Jerry
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is a coin "dreck" if it's a solid 64 in a 65 holder?

maybe you should re-word that to say "Is a coin "dreck" if your opinion is that it's a solid 64 in a 65 holder?"
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought "Dreck" was more like a 1881-S Morgan image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • "dreck" is a vague word that describes a coin which for some reason, a person may not want in their collection. However, those same reasons may not make the coin "dreck" in the eyes of another person.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Is a coin "dreck" if it's a solid 64 in a 65 holder? Not to me, it isn't. And ditto, for a solid 64 in a 66 holder. That would be an over-graded coin. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a very nice coin.

<< <i>What if the owner bought it for 63 money? >>

That's irrelevant to the discussion, based on your conclusion that it's actually a "solid 64".image
  • Hi there,

Seems to me the coin is what it is - the opinions..yours, the slip(s) of paper..are not as..uh...stable as if you like the coin or not at the price you paid. That is what matters, to me anyway.
    I bought some "dreck", $2700 dreck, for $20 a few months ago. This was a book, not a coin. One of a few privately held non-marked ex-lib copies around. I found it wandering in an outdoor antique market. I just paid what was on the sticker. The seller has a shop, uses eBay, uses Google...not quite an old lady who I would have alerted as I have done. Do I get a "You Suck" because it was a rip? Or do I get a "You Suck" because I ripped? Dunno - just paid the asking price with no haggling. I never lost sleep ove the deal. "Dreck" is in the eye of the beholder (not the holder).

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is a coin "dreck" if it's a solid 64 in a 65 holder?

maybe you should re-word that to say "Is a coin "dreck" if your opinion is that it's a solid 64 in a 65 holder?" >>

Isn't it a matter of opinion whether a coin is dreck or not?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• << <i>I think "dreck" is in the eye of the beholder and that this term is used by some dealers to denigrate other dealer's coins. >>

Exactly. And there will always be someone out there ready to tell you that what they have is better than what you have. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves. Just remember that it's only an opinion.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but is he nervous directing his clients to buy it??
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but is he nervous directing his clients to buy it?? >>

No, it's probably a relief. image
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but is he nervous directing his clients to buy it?? >>

I would doubt that he directs his clients to buy coins he feels nervous about.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeez, I finally figured out what widgets are, and now I need to worry about dreck?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jeez, I finally figured out what widgets are, and now I need to worry about dreck? >>

Widgets are so...yesterday. image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreck is fun.
This discussion has been closed.