Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for collectors who just say "no" to coin debt.

Name a coin that would make you break your vow even if the price were aggressive.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but I can't really think of any coins that I would go into debt for.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Totally not worth it. I like coins, but I'm not THAT hardcore about them.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aint gonna happen.
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A PQ PCGS MS65 1885 Liberty nickel. I'll admit it. That's my dream coin. Maybe not much to many of you, but I'd definitely go into debt to own one. image

imageimage
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd seriously consider it for something like the finest known Higley Copper or a high grade Chain Cent or any of the 3 known Gloucester Tokens.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I went into debt for this set because I didn't want to lose the opportunity to have it in a collection. This is a "one of" and the history of it is just too cool. I wrote about it in this thread.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I would say yes I would but the wife would never let me
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the current economical environment, with a family that includes an 8 year old son, I can't see myself putting my enjoyment and the hobby ahead of their security; such that it can be currently.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't do it for any coin.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    If I KNEW I could make a strong profit on it, and pretty much had the piece sold before I put any money up, then I'd do it.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These kinds of hypotheticals can be fun...but reality obviously depends on your personal circumstances.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wouldn't do it for any coin. >>

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    The anchor coin of the silver proof series - 1950 Franklin PR66 DCam

Have used debt to buy collections that held several coins that I wanted. Then sold off the spares. Everyone seems to sell their whole collection at one time so it is like drinking from a fire hose.

My main problem is just too many coins versus other assets. My current rule is that for every $1 purchase I have to sell $2. This should bring my asset mix in line by 2020.

Dave
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    IMHO, It is all about cash; no cash no coin.image
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Get help.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ain't gonna happen.
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

A 1877 Pr 65RD cent, was the last time I stuck my neck out on.

He turned me down.image

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did it once for a baseball card and it worked out. I was young, foolish and lucky......Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger and throw caution to the wind. I would probably not do it again at this point in my life and I think that's a sign of aging. I think you fail to take as many chances as you get older.......MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a '94 dolllar with a hole in it.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭✭
    No, coins are not that warm at nightimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I did it with the 2008 buffalo's and made a boat load of money.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Only a coin which was well known like a 1913 Liberty nickel, which was offered at half price or less.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, coins are not that warm at nightimage >>

True, but they don't snore at night either.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No, coins are not that warm at nightimage >>

True, but they don't snore at night either. >>

They never complain and they never "need to talk"....
  • Options
    JustMe2JustMe2 Posts: 179 ✭✭
    If your making house payments and also buying coins your are borrowing money to buy coins.
  • Options
    dirtybirddirtybird Posts: 223 ✭✭
    I am now on a fixed income and debt is not an option.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never. It is a hobby, not an addiction. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually, I won't do it. No way. Not as a collector. There are exceptions to this rule, but I don't want to be targeted by slick salesmen for telling the world which coins I'd break this rule for image
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was young and in my twenties, I did, but only on a smaller scale. Now that I'm well into my 50's, I think differently.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭
    I have done lay-a-ways for coins I could not purchase outright. Does that count?
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I'd strectch daaaang far for a nice 1822 Dime. I don't know how far into debt I'd go, but I'd definitely sell some of my other pieces if I could the right '22 Dime.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    There is NO coin which I would go into debt to obtain.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would not do it.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short term debt? Sure. Longer term like 4 years of car payments? Probly not.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you only want answers from people that refuse to answer the question?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975

So you only want answers from people that refuse to answer the question?

Brilliant, no? I got the idea here. image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've done short term "debt" to get stuff and juggled accounts to take advantage of "no interest" promotions and can't really understand why so many have an aversion. perhaps the single debt that is almost national in scale, although i feel confident that nary a forum member incurs itimageimage, is that which cycles around every year in December. why would people run debt that costs them money when they could run debt that would make them money??

the 1885 Liberty Nickel a brave soul admitted they would cave for is an almost certain winner. what could be bad about that??
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    I guess that depends on how you define "debt"?image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, she is full figured and has a horn of plenty spilling gold coinsimage
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I KNEW I could make a strong profit on it, and pretty much had the piece sold before I put any money up, then I'd do it. >>

I was thinking the same thing.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If I KNEW I could make a strong profit on it, and pretty much had the piece sold before I put any money up, then I'd do it. >>

I was thinking the same thing. >>

In that case, as in the case of the person who bought 2008 buffalos to flip, this is not the same as borrowing money to buy a coin for your collection, which is the spirit of the question.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the current economical environment, with a family that includes an 8 year old son, I can't see myself putting my enjoyment and the hobby ahead of their security; such that it can be currently. >>

This here. I have three kids ages 15, 5 and 2. I work for the state of IL and my job is likely getting axed in July of 2011 so no coin would inspire me to. Even if I had job security I wouldn't. I just have no desire to own anything out of my budget and any coin that is I just stop buying and save for it.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Dang, she is full figured and has a horn of plenty spilling gold coinsimage >>

that's the kind of chicks that are still at a stinky bar at 4am

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image

Dang, she is full figured and has a horn of plenty spilling gold coinsimage >>

that's the kind of chicks that are still at a stinky bar at 4am >>

That's what beer goggles are forimage. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, anybody that has a coin collection can prudently take on debt to buy a coin, provided that he is willing to sell something less desirable from his collection to repay the debt. And if you don't have a collection and you're thinking about taking on debt to buy your first coin, well, damn, I wish I had my own retail website that I could steer you to!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I just received my credit card statement today. I always pay the total amount, and have never paid a lick of interest to a credit card company. I think under the new law they have to provide additional information. On this statement, it said that if I paid the minimum amount due each month, I would pay off the debt in total in 28 years!!!! Unbelievable. I would never go into debt for coins (or any other discretionary purchase).
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a virtuous group.

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go into debt to buy a coin to keep. I would make arrangements if a coin came my way that I knew I could make a significant profit on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file