Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are my eyes gone? A 1918 D Buffalo Nickel with a funny 8

Been playing with sone crummy old nickels and noticed the 8 on this one looks funny. Is there a 7 under the 8? Thanks Cass ">pic

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you show us a shot of the reverse, showing the mintmark placement? I believe it should tilt to the left and almost touch the 'E' in 'FIVE'. Also, can you show the whole obverse? There's a die crack that's also a diagnostic.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Does my pic show up, I can't see the darn thing on my end. It worked in the test forum. I've been awat for awhile and forgot how to upload from photobucket...I'll take some more pics...BRB
  • Options
    The pic shows up fine...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Reverse pic, sorry it's a crappy pic, I'm having all kinds of problems dusting off this stuff.

• Options
    Obverse full pic

• Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    IMO, restored date 1918/7 D.

Joe.
  • Options

<< <i>IMO, restored date 1918/7 D.

Joe. >>

• Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    IMO, restored date 1918/7 D.

imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys!! Guess where it came from? Here's a hint:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=646784&highlight_key=y&keyword1=15lb

I restored the date, don't beat up on me too bad!!!

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    even though the dates may be worn off

you can still see the type 1 - reverse on mound, which is rather cool - especially finding the Denver and San Francisco

I am not convinced you have an 1918/7-D overdate there
    the bottom loop should have more on the left
    the top should have a longer straight section

= even though the die crack near the hair braid and mintmark location both look good
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I am not convinced you have an 1918/7-D overdate there
    the bottom loop should have more on the left
    the top should have a longer straight section

= even though the die crack near the hair braid and mintmark location both look good >>

This is a restored date coin so you are not going to get all the detail. Another diagnostic is that the initial has an appearance of a P instead of an F.

Over the last 10 years I have purchased 5 of these restored overdates. I currently still have 2 and sold the other 3.

Joe.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got yourself an Overdate.........

Pete
    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I notice a partially abraided feather? Could be another obverse diagnostic.

Super Picture!

Pete
    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um-m-m, I'd rather have this one ...image
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the overdate. Shows the die crack by where his ear should be.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I see it now - thx for the blow-up Mark
  • Options
    Thanks again guys for all your helpimage I pulled it out of a 15lb can my motherinlaw dropped off a few years ago. What do you guys think I could/should do with it? best regards cass
  • Options
    Anybody? I hear cricketsimage
  • Options
    save it? sell it?

I have seen them sell on eBay in the $100 range, raw

not sure if a genuine slab would increase value enough for cost of getting it slabbed
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    With good pictures I usually put them on ebay with a buy it now of around $180 +/_ and they sell quickly.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark, that is an incredible coin... very, very nice. Thanks for posting .... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

....was the WHOLE coin submerged in nic-a-date? jmo
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    No, just the date area. The pics look washed out because I had way too much light. I did find another one that someone had carved up with a knife, sold that one for $76.00. My MIL didn't want either one and the first find sold for 649.99
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    It is not the overdate.
  • Options

<< <i>It is not the overdate. >>

Based upon what? The 7 is there, the die crack is present, the mint mark has the correct placement.
  • Options
    you got $650 for the first raw?

with the acid area?
  • Options
    Yup, all proceeds to my MIL, she says I'm her favorite...image
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It is not the overdate. >>

Based upon what? The 7 is there, the die crack is present, the mint mark has the correct placement. >>

I dont see the 7 there.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i guess image isn't in your cards? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also on the blind helpline.I don't see the 7.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm also on the blind helpline.I don't see the 7. >>

thats cause theres an 8 over it. thus the 18/7 with a d mint mint mark on the back.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm also on the blind helpline.I don't see the 7. >>

thats cause theres an 8 over it. thus the 18/7 with a d mint mint mark on the back. >>

The post is three years ago LOL..The original photo is no longer available,in-which you could hardley make out the 7,
    due to circulation and abuse..nic-a date.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file