Options

I am just amazed at the premium required to win on XF origonal Barber Halves

Bidding on XF-40 to XF-45 Halves ,requires a bid
at hal the difference to the next higher grade ,
if not the next higher grade itself or higher. Of course,
this is for PQ examples with that beautiful gray color
of old silver'

I have not seen the same degree of push bidding
for the quarters though. I guess size really does matter.
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Bear,

Size ALWAYS matters! image

XF Barbers are, for most dates, real condition rarities, as are nice VFs. I'm working on a VF set which is now including some nice XF coins and boy can these be not only tough to find but pricey! TBH I bet a lot of the coins I own I could have bought in AU for not much more.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And both of you guys keep out bidding me.image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    So your the scoundrel that is costing all this money.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Who was the scoundrel who snagged those long beach coins at heritage? I need to sic bear on them I wanted that one coin!!!!!
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    I watched a 1903-S in PCGS XF40 hammer on ebay last nite... $469.03 ... XF40 bid is $170... AU bid is $280... MS60 bid is $430 ... not too shabby for the seller image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I watched a 1903-S in PCGS XF40 hammer on ebay last nite... $469.03 ... XF40 bid is $170... AU bid is $280... MS60 bid is $430 ... not too shabby for the seller image >>

Larry,

I tracked that coin as well. I bought a raw 03-S in what I considered AU 50 for $281
    a couple of years ago; a recent submission to PCGS came back as an XF 45. It seems
    as if PCGS coins are garnering the heafty premiums, I can't say the same thing for the
    other TPG's.

I've paid double to tripple bid on more semi-key PCGS mid range graded [ VF35 - XF 45 ]
    than I care to mention. The circulated cameo look that is so coveted by us Barberphiles
    doesn't come cheaply.

As far as I'm concerned, you can throw away all printed [Grey sheet ] pricing when you've got
    the right looking mid range [XF] Barber Half in a PCGS holder.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I could run with the BIG DOGS , but I'll just have to stay on the porch and collect those little dimes!
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears people are willing to pay goofball moon money for XF+ Barber halves, and insane nutjob money for PCGS AU58 Bust halves. Each of these series appears to have a "sexy" grade that draws the highest competition from collectors. Where is the action for Seated halves?
  • Options

<< <i>It appears people are willing to pay goofball moon money for XF+ Barber halves, and insane nutjob money for PCGS AU58 Bust halves. Each of these series appears to have a "sexy" grade that draws the highest competition from collectors. Where is the action for Seated halves? >>

Not sure on the Seated Halves... but the same seller last nite had a nice 1877-CC Quarter in PCGS VF30 hammer for over $200 and the bid on that is around $70... go figure... image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    I know who snagged the 03-S. He is furry, does not like to be poked with a stick,
    likes jelly donuts and is usually seen holding a couple of balloons. I ain't no nut job,
    a little weird at times ,but not a nut job. I expect to be making a profit in 50 years
    or so.

Well, I saw smoe one bid 6 cents for a common penny.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I have not seen the same degree of push bidding
    for the quarters though. I guess size really does matter. >>

I have seen the same thing for the quarters!
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    People are starting (or have) caught on to how beautiful these coins are.

I was buying branch mint Halves 7-8 years ago in VF- XF range any where from $60-$140

I paid $90 in 2004

$103 in 2003

and $78 in 2006

I'm still looking for certain dates to fill my dansco,but prices have doubled for nice original "raw" coins and some have almost tripled for slabbed coins.

It gets frustrating to say the least.But as they say....it's the thrill of the hunt!

It is amazing how many coins are being bid up on certain date and mintmark's,where as 7,8,9 years ago you didn't get the bidding as you do now.

Like I said in the beginning,collectors are realizing how nice (and scarse) these coins are in the mid grade circs...thus the big increase in prices.

Rob
    Rob
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    one has to wonder if the forum members here are chasing the best
    of the best? thus they drive up the prices on such a small pool of
    coins while the rest go begging for bidders? The rest being coins
    that are just mediocre, so-so, or plain fugly...

forum members also include others with good taste in coins chasing
    the small pool.
  • Options
    It's not so much rarity, as it is that some collectors are stupider now.image
    However, XF graded halves with original unmessed with surfaces appear
    to be grossly under priced on all of the price guides. I hate to have pcgs
    GET A SWELLED HEAD OR ANYTHING, but PCGS graded Barber halves are
    indeed getting a healthy premium.I have found that I only wish to go after
    perhaps one out of every 50 - 100 coins.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Very well said FC

The true definition of supply and demand.

Rob
    Rob
  • Options

<< <i>It's not so much rarity, as it is that some collectors are stupider now.image
    However, XF graded halves with original unmessed with surfaces appear
    to be grossly under priced on all of the price guides. I hate top have pcgs
    GET A SWELLED HEAD OR ANYTHING, but PCGS graded Barber halves are
    indeed getting a healthy premium.I have found that I only wish to go after
    perhaps one out of every 50 - 100 coins. >>

Your fuzziness,

If you bought that coin you bought a beauty. I have paid absolute insane money, per price guide, for some of my coins. But seeing as how these coins, in VF-XF are truly RARE, I think you can forget about price guides.

Original Barbers that are both PCGS slabbed AND truly original are RARE, many of the slabbed coins out there are not all that original and have been played with, really nice coins are at the very least, tough.
  • Options
    You will find that the premo coin bidders, generally have very high EBAY numbers,
    over 500.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You will find that the premo coin bidders, generally have very high EBAY numbers,
    over 500. >>

Does that include, Russ????
    Bear, I'm just a bit weiry tonight!!!! LOL!! image
  • Options

<< <i>I know who snagged the 03-S. He is furry, does not like to be poked with a stick,
    likes jelly donuts and is usually seen holding a couple of balloons. I ain't no nut job,
    a little weird at times ,but not a nut job. I expect to be making a profit in 50 years
    or so.

Well, I saw smoe one bid 6 cents for a common penny. >>

So, from this, we can deduce that the inflationary trend in Barber Half prices is somehow related to... fur, not being poked with a stick, jelly donuts and balloons... hmmmmm... image

(spoken with a strong German accent) "Ve must begin a new study... to determine zee true motivator of zese crazy numismatic bidders. Once ve have zee formula, ve can take over all of ebay and den zee vorld!!!" imageimage
  • Options
    I feel for you guys,I finished my VF/XF Barber Half set about a year ago and as it sits in a Dansco,I often look at them and still think of them as beautiful,but i usually hate to think about how much they cost me,but it was worth it.
  • Options
    bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    I've been collecting barber halves for over 5 years now and some are impossible to find in PCGS XF+ holders.
    Maybe in another 5 I'll find them.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we can say for sure that the reason Bear paid so much is the rest of us nitwits on this board. There doesn't need to be any other bidders if 10 of us chase every decent coin. Let's move to a discussion of market manipulation and bid riggingimage
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    This is the reason I don't own anymore of my better date halves in XF and AU. Bought raw then got them in PCGS holders and they became too hot to keep. I thought in late '08, "they can't keep going up in this economy", and since I never had my fines slabbed, those are easier to hold. Well they keep going up!
    Ol' Bear has the bug!!
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    I have an idea.

We will all collectively buy Bear lots and lots of Jelly Donuts. If we do this, maybe we can keep him preoccupied and away from eBay, this way maybe some of us proletariat types can have a shot at some of the better Barbers.

Who is with me?
  • Options

I thought Bear had completed his set of VF - XF Halves -
    he must be working on another set. I'm almost thru working on
    my duplicate certified set - just want a few upgrades - and need
    just a few upgrades for my better set - [ see the BST Thread
    with 500 posts ...lol ]

My Dansco set of Halves is complete and I'm not upgrading
    any of those. Its a nice set just the way it is with an average
    grade of VF 25.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Actually, fuzzy bear is not building a set. I just wanted a few PQ, XF Barber
    Halves in my collection. Another one or two and then you set builders can rest
    easy as I will be moving on to other areas of interest.At today,s prices a complete
    set of XF , El Supremo , Barber Halves ,would be economic madness. As I am already
    half crazy, I do not need to go the rest of the way at this particular moment.

Bye the bye, nice VF specimens are just as tough to find as XFs. They do make
    for a very nice set indeed. As to my having a set of Barber Halves in any condition, the
    answer is no. I thought about it some years ago, but never got around to it.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Well, there is a saying about not poking the bear... image

I have been working on my VF set since last June and now need only a 93-P, 93-S, 94-P and an 01-S to complete the set. I do need to upgrade my 13 and 14 Ps to VF from F15 though.

So I am doing OK image
  • Options
    If you can manage it, we all would love to see some pictures

of those beauties. Yes indeed, you are doing very well and have

selected a nice condition for the the beauty to come thru at a somewhat

reasonable price. Well done indeed!image
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>If you can manage it, we all would love to see some pictures

of those beauties. Yes indeed, you are doing very well and have

selected a nice condition for the the beauty to come thru at a somewhat

reasonable price. Well done indeed!image >>

Thank you sir! I have a link to the set in my signature, I need to update the images, in reality I need to have the coins professionally photographed.

Reasonable price? image

Although credit must go where credit is due, a huge chunk of the collection has come from our very own board members including SeaEagleCoins, Ponyexpress8, Barberman55, Walkerguy21D, Shortgapbob as well as JJ Teaparty. Had I not been a board member and met these wonderful guys I would have never pulled this off, especially in the time frame in which I did. Also board members like Mike (MFH) have been a huge help as well in keeping their eyes open for me for coins that I need.

Truth is, I figured that, early on, if I worked VERY VERY hard and spent a whole pile of money I might get this set done within 3-4 years. I had hoped to be at the 30-40% mark within a year. To be within 4 coins of completion (OK, to be fair, I have a couple in for grading at our hosts that may or may not grade) within less than 9 months really amazes me especially considering that the 4 coins I need are not necessarially the toughest ones in the set.

So I am pleased as punch image
  • Options
    moral of this lesson, kids...

Never teach a bear to dance... they're fast learners but they tend to take up the whole darn dance floor... image
  • Options

<< <i>moral of this lesson, kids...

Never teach a bear to dance... they're fast learners but they tend to take up the whole darn dance floor... image >>

LOL! Yeah I think we're better off doing the Jelly Donut thing. Bear won't mind I don't think.
  • Options
    This sold for $569 pretty quickly. What are your thoughts on this MS62 for $569.00?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160403724781&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
  • Options

<< <i>This sold for $569 pretty quickly. What are your thoughts on this MS62 for $569.00?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160403724781&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT >>

Common date, no reverse pic, NGC holder...etc.... And you'll see this from time to time, a dealer who isn't familiar with the market will price them based on sheet. I bought my 03-S on eBay in VF25 for $129, another one just closed by, IIRC, Manorcourtman, for like $250. Dealer put it on there with a $129 BIN and I saw it just about as soon as it was listed and hit the BIN.
  • Options
    Let me clarify, no reverse pic per the eBay iPhone app, I can't get on eBay at work image
  • Options
    $569.00

• Options
    PCGS mid-grade Barber Halves...hmmm...very nice coins. Key dates generally demand a premium...and the price can be insurmountable...just be patient. There are those collectors that seek to buy "no matter what the cost"...so let them have their day...there will be more coins forthcoming...the market demands it...when you can buy at a reasonable price. If you get overbid, blow it off...there will be other opportunities. In the long run, if you're patient and not driven by emotional bidding, you'll come out ahead. It may take you a little longer but you'll be ahead financially. Patience is a virtue!!

• Options
    Blow it off? Perhaps, but if a mid grade Barber Half meets all of ones criteria and then
    some, the question becomes how much is it going into the stratosphere. If there is
    still enough air to breath a bit, it might not only be OK to bid up, it might be a true
    bargain in a few years. It is really a matter of judgment, quality assessment, the depth
    of ones pocket and a correct analysis of true rarity on the market place of the coin in
    question.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Wise Old Bear,
    IMHO, it truly is a matter of judgement and the depth of your pocket book. If your pocket book is limitless then for sure...bid right on up...if it's something you really want or if you perceive it's an unbeatable investment...but most of us are modest investors/collectors. For those modest, intelligent investors there's a sensible limit...and each collector has their threshhold...that is usually driven by price. My point is this...don't be dismayed or disappointed if you didn't get the coin you wanted for the price you were willing to pay...provided of course your bid was competetive. There will be others...because if good, original mid-grades are in demand, there will be others that will find a way to supply and meet the demand.
  • Options
    Okey Dokey!image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Further evidence of the current market frenzy, a 14-P half I was watching on eBay in PCGS 25 just sold for $715!
    That's certainly not moonish, but for a coin that's not that tough in VF it's a tad steep. Not anymore I suppose. Keeping an eye on another Half in PCGS 25 up now. Much tougher than the 14-P. Any guesses? image
  • Options
    Well, it looks liked the price on the 95-O has gone higher then I care to chase it.
    I guess that the price I paid for the1903-S Half now looks cheap.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Wise Old Bear,
    That 1895-O PCGS XF-45 that went for $613 last night was very steep. Someone paid "mad money" for that but you can't fault the buyer. Since there are only a half dozen of those coins in that grade that have been certified by PCGS, it's very likely the buyer judged that it would be another year or two (if ever) before they see another Barber Half in that grade, year, mintage, and certification. I've done that on occasion...paid "mad money" way above any price guides...but that's how most Barber Half collectors are...they realize that certain coins only surface occasionally and bid accordingly. The back end of this though is the real story teller....when that collector gets ready to part with his collection, are there other collectors out there that are willing to pay "mad money" for those coins? Only time will tell. Okey dokey...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just finding a few letters in Liberty makes for a challenging chase, as well.
  • Options

<< <i>Further evidence of the current market frenzy, a 14-P half I was watching on eBay in PCGS 25 just sold for $715!
    That's certainly not moonish, but for a coin that's not that tough in VF it's a tad steep. Not anymore I suppose. Keeping an eye on another Half in PCGS 25 up now. Much tougher than the 14-P. Any guesses? image >>

Answer:
    The 1896-S in PCGS VF25 hammered for $961. It was a beauty but 55 money?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I agree that many Barber Halves in EF are tough and may cost more than one would care to spend, but look at the bright side- there are areas of collecting that are far more problematic in terms of finding quality

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Further evidence of the current market frenzy, a 14-P half I was watching on eBay in PCGS 25 just sold for $715!
    That's certainly not moonish, but for a coin that's not that tough in VF it's a tad steep. Not anymore I suppose. Keeping an eye on another Half in PCGS 25 up now. Much tougher than the 14-P. Any guesses? image >>

Answer:
    The 1896-S in PCGS VF25 hammered for $961. It was a beauty but 55 money? >>

Well, if a person doesnt want to pay $961 dollars, they are welcome wait another 8-10 years for another...that may or may not come around.

That was the nicest VF 96-S I had seen in years. I wouldn't have paid more than $400, but that is probably why I only one 96-S even though I would buy all I come across that nice. 96-S has been the hardest coin for me to find nice in Choice VF or XF. Only other dates are the 97-O in true XF and the 04-O in XF.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1896-S in PCGS VF25 hammered for $961. It was a beauty but 55 money? >>

I sold this one a few months back to a dealer on the forum here, for approximately half this amount. Granted, the coin probably wouldn't slab at PCGS, but there's plenty of meat on it and would make a nice album coin:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

In December, 2009, I paid $435.00 for a 1896-S PCGS VF 35.

Of course, it was married to 72 other Barber Halves - but, thats
    what the seller said the coin was worth to him.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>

Answer:
    The 1896-S in PCGS VF25 hammered for $961. It was a beauty but 55 money? >>

I'll buy every nice PCGS 55 that I can for $961. I own my 96-S in AU58 for about $1,500 with shipping and grading, etc. And I got a "YOU SUCK" award for that. It's a $3,000 coin on the open market. Basically, when Mike (MFH) is sitting next to you and says that if you don't buy the coin you are flat-out insane, you buy it.

Take the price guide, and burn it when it comes to rare date barbers in mid grades.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear ya, the kinda same applies tho the Barber Qtrs, and sometimes dimes.....

This series was really used by the population IMO, and its some really
    Circd'd stuff, Full Circ'd original Liberty's aint cheap

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file