Home U.S. Coin Forum

I am just amazed at the premium required to win on XF origonal Barber Halves

2»

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    In Santa Clara last November, I had to pass on a brilliant raw 1896-s Slider with original toning and no hairlines for $950 because I didn't have the funds.
    Any $2000 premium above that is for the holder and I'm beginning to get very leery of all that emphasis.
    Sure if I'd have bought it, and it "made", I'd take the accolades, but burning the price guide applies to only one subset of the collecting world.
    Respectfully, that is.image
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Bill,

...what I said was if you don't buy it, you're crazy; I'll buy it, then sell it back to you for $3500.
    I should have not forced you - and just bought the coin for myself...lol.

What made me laugh was a dealer near us - when showed the 96-S - said it would never holder
    at PCGS at anything higher than a 55 because of too much chatter on the cheek. Ummm...hello...
    the coin didn't have one single mark on the fields on the OBV; the REV was as pristine as any 66
    I have ever seen. I knew within one second it would holder as a 58.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave,

I'm tracking your four nice Barber Halves - three are doing extremely well with another 7 days
    left on the auction - and the common date is at a standstill - but not to worry - it'll sell for a decent
    amount. I would imagine the final sales prices on the three better dates will be an additional 50% over
    where they are at this moment. Good Luck !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll probably end up putting a VG coin in the slot of my type set... XF seems unobtainable...L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Mike,
    I hope they do well. They are special coins that I hate to part with...and I appreciate the accolades...I learned from the "masters"...you, Craig, Dogwood, Arco, and many others....hopefully they will do well. I have more but they are in the XF-40 range that I'll be listing in the next few weeks. All very nice coins that would make a very good addition to someone's set. For those that are interested, here's the link to some Mid-Grade Barber Halves:

Mid-Grade Barber Halves

Good Luck!
    vr,
    Dave
  • MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>In Santa Clara last November, I had to pass on a brilliant raw 1896-s Slider with original toning and no hairlines for $950 because I didn't have the funds.
    Any $2000 premium above that is for the holder and I'm beginning to get very leery of all that emphasis.
    Sure if I'd have bought it, and it "made", I'd take the accolades, but burning the price guide applies to only one subset of the collecting world.
    Respectfully, that is.image >>

I have to agree with this sentiment 100%. If one's goal is to build a nice set without consideration of being in a particular holder, or any holder at all, it can be done much more cheaply than some of the prices being mentioned in this thread. It's a fact that being in PCGS plastic will command higher prices and if there are very few in that plastic in that grade, much higher prices. I suspect registry sets get people do do some agressive bidding or pricing. My eyesight is not good enough to see $2000 difference between a PCGS graded coin and the same coin raw.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file