Home U.S. Coin Forum

I hope to be setting up a table for the first time at a coin show this coming sunday-updated with my

joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
I would love to hear everyones advice
thank you
-yosef
may the fonz be with you...always...

Comments

• SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭
    Where are you setting up?

Becareful if you are in the bad weather.

SNMAN
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do a search . . . I wrote a report on my first show and posted it. Also, several other posts have had good info since the one I did . .

Drunner

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't leave your inventory in your automobile unattended.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • The secret is, you don't want anyone to know you're new at dealing.
    It's best to sleep with your dog the night before the show so you smell bad, and not shower or wash up in the morning.
    Also wear a dirty shirt, and put some mustard on it. Then try to wipe the mustard off with a piece of paper towel. That way it still shows good.
    Don't forget to take your morning paper. Sit behind your table kinda sideways, so the collectors can't get your attention, and enjoy reading all the news while they fidget.
    Mark your coins up real high, and if anyone asks what's the best you can do on price, only come down a little and whine about how much you have into it.
    Make sure you wander around the bouse most of the day so it's hard for anyone to catch you at your table.
    Then when you wrap things up at the end of the show, complain about how bad the economy is and how nobody is buying anything.
    Everybody will think you're a pro.
    Ray

• << <i>The secret is, you don't want anyone to know you're new at dealing.
    It's best to sleep with your dog the night before the show so you smell bad, and not shower or wash up in the morning.
    Also wear a dirty shirt, and put some mustard on it. Then try to wipe the mustard off with a piece of paper towel. That way it still shows good.
    Don't forget to take your morning paper. Sit behind your table kinda sideways, so the collectors can't get your attention, and enjoy reading all the news while they fidget.
    Mark your coins up real high, and if anyone asks what's the best you can do on price, only come down a little and whine about how much you have into it.
    Make sure you wander around the bouse most of the day so it's hard for anyone to catch you at your table.
    Then when you wrap things up at the end of the show, complain about how bad the economy is and how nobody is buying anything.
    Ray >>

GREAT ADVICE !!
  • All kidding aside.....

Bring ....

1] LOTS of small bills for change ..... Nothing like a guy standing in front of you with nothing but 100's ... and YOU have no small bills.

2] Several extra light bulbs.

3] Extention cord w/ multi plug on it.

4] Extra calculator & pens.

5] Wear your BEST standing shoes.
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't there a game this Sunday?
  • "Isn't there a game this Sunday? " Yeah but it doesnt start till 640 PM. That list left out one thing. Make sure you leave well before the end of the show that way you will look like the other dealers.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All kidding aside.....

Bring ....

1] LOTS of small bills for change ..... Nothing like a guy standing in front of you with nothing but 100's ... and YOU have no small bills.

2] Several extra light bulbs.

3] Extention cord w/ multi plug on it.

4] Extra calculator & pens.

5] Wear your BEST standing shoes. >>

Well, it depends on what you're selling. You might have to change light bulbs to mind-altering drugs if you're trying to sell coins graded by NGC.

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way you present yourself is the way people(dealers and the public) will remember you. First impressions count so make it like you mean it.

Put your best foot forward and do what you do best. Personally, I'd have a check list.

good luck.
    Have a nice day
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭
    I set up for the first time this past fall. Here's my post on it........First Set Up. Here's a few pointers that I can offer from my experience:

-have some help, whether it's your wife, buddy, or dog. Just a warm blooded something at the table with you.
    -treat everyone as if they're going to purchase something
    -pull stuff out of your case to show people when they're just a little interesed (use a little discretion with this, maybe 1 thing at the time)
    -be honest (should be #1)
    -be willing to say "I don't know, but I'll find out" (this can be used with any subject matter)
    -say "Hi", even to the tire kickers
    -take LOTS of small bills
    -hand out a business card to everyone you see
    -take a candy dish with some hard candy
    -take some pens and a paper tab
    -take 2 or 3 calculators
    -HAVE FUN
    -TAKE SOME PICS and post them on here

-wes

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be prepared for the other dealers to swarm your table to cherry pick your inventory.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The secret is, you don't want anyone to know you're new at dealing.
    Ray >>

Yes, the vultures love to swoop in and pick a nembee clean if they can. They love to uee high pressure to get you flustered. The secret is to quote prices that are high enough to keep them at bey, but are fair enough not to drive honest dealers away. Sales to other dealers can really make your show if you are skilled buyer who gets things they want. About half of my business used to be with other dealers.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Selling to other dealers can be good, as Bill says. Just make sure you know the market for what you're selling so they don't rip you.
    I was bouse chairman for the Muskegon Michigan coin club for a dozen years or so, and I did some dealing at that time.
    There were times I'd make more off one deal with a dealer than I'd make for the entire rest of the show.
    Oh, just for the record.............
    I wore slacks, a dress shirt, and tie.
    And I was clean.

Ray

• Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Joe, your setting up at parsippany??
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Be prepared for the other dealers to swarm your table to cherry pick your inventory. >>

Double Dog Ditto!

Be prepared to wheel and deal WHILE your in the process of setting up!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • CeephusCeephus Posts: 73 ✭✭
    My advice is don't let anybody know you're a newbie. Other dealer's will probably swarm your table. Have a Plan. Remember they're your coins, don't let other dealer's tell you how to price them. Try and act like you've been there before even though you haven't.

I did it once. I didn't make too many friends among other dealers because I wasn't playing there game.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch for thieves.
    A single shoplifting can void all the profit you make.

Work out a deal with the Dealers around you. Keep an eye out for them, and they for you.

peacockcoins

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Watch for thieves.
    A single shoplifting can void all the profit you make.

Work out a deal with the Dealers around you. Keep an eye out for them, and they for you. >>

Many dealers are more than willing to spread the word when thieves or counterfeit coin sellers are wondering around the floor.

Dealers do compete with each other, but there are frateral aspects to it too.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Wear your best mullet.
  • KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭
    I remembe my first parsippany show with fondness as I was wise enough to have prices on everything so that kept most of the wolves away. I established many good contacts and they are a great bunch of guys for the most part. Keep organized, have lots of dollar bills and fives for change, have prices on all your coins, ask every customer what they are looking for and if they have anything to sell. Be freindly.

Have a good time and what show are you doing?

Frankimage
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup! doing the parsippany show today!

looking forward to alot of fun!- drop by and say hi!

-joe
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yup! doing the parsippany show today!

looking forward to alot of fun!- drop by and say hi!

-joe >>

So tell us how did your show go ?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file