Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Collecting 1991 Topps errors/variations

So I just sorted through a ton of 1987, 1988 and 1991 Topps (dont ask why) and noticed a variation on the 1991 Storm Davis card (missing R next to Topps logo).

So that got me digging around online for other variations/errors. I know about the site "junkwaxgems" but anyone else here know other sites which have a lenghty breakdown of Topps errors?

Also, the junkwaxgems site lists the Davis as a HTF card, anyone here know of any past sales?

Comments

• Hello and welcome!

Past sales have really varied on the Davis card. It used to sell for over $30 a few years ago. Then a bunch popped up but now they only show up once in a while. Today they can be found for $1-5, but that's pretty much due to the fact that most of the variation collectors on ebay have already added the card to their collections.

The scarce version is the one that has the R-symbol next to the Topps logo on front since no other cards in the set have a symbol next to the Topps logo. It was presumably corrected very early (my own research supports this as well).

There are rumored A*B* code variations for a number of players though I have never seen one, nor have any been offered for sale (the exception is Daryl Boston, which is fairly common), however, many reputable error/variation collectors swear they exist.

Drabek, Hoiles and Whiten are the three big ones to find, especially Drabek (which never shows up for sale).

Also, the insert/sweepstakes cards all have a sequential code on front. I believe there are 244 (don't quote me there) different numbers in that set.

A little digging online will provide a few lists of the basic variations in the set and are a good place to start.

Good luck, this is probably the most variation-heavy set produced by Topps.
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • A site I used to put together my list of needs for the 1981 fleer master set is Linky. There are lots of sites out there, I like looking through different ones to get the website owner's take and history on errors (I find those putting up a site about them have a real passion for the hobby and its refreshing to read other's point of views).
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    If anyone can e-mail me 300 dpi scans of the affected area of the Storm Davis card(s), we'll consider getting it listed in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards.

Bob Lemke
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    Nice find
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>If anyone can e-mail me 300 dpi scans of the affected area of the Storm Davis card(s), we'll consider getting it listed in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards.

Bob Lemke >>

Hi Bob,

Any chance of getting the '97 Strat-o-Matic cards included in the next catalog?
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    my site will be up shortly.

I am trying to get the content on there asap.

Until then keep following my threads and Jackson_Coupage's blog.

Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • TrevmoTrevmo Posts: 201 ✭✭
    If anyone finds a 1991 Topps #130 Ozzie Smith can you send it in to PSA with your next submission and sell it to me? Looking for one pretty bad and don't want to send in 1 card for grading. I just sent 57 cards in and forgot to include that card like a dummy.
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A site I used to put together my list of needs for the 1981 fleer master set is Linky. There are lots of sites out there, I like looking through different ones to get the website owner's take and history on errors (I find those putting up a site about them have a real passion for the hobby and its refreshing to read other's point of views). >>

I don't really know anything about those variations, but that website's pretty cool. Good luck with your hunt!
    Yeah, I am still looking for the Mark Whiten 1991 topps card where his hand extends outside the border(frame) of the picture....

please email me or PM me if you can help me out...

thanks !
    Buying:
  • Thanks for the welcome. Im new here but have over 30 years in the Hobby.

Well since you all have been much help, I have a toughie now (although I doubt for you guys).

Anyone know of the 1978 (not 1979) Bump Wills "black circle" variation? Basically, someone at the Topps plant, for whatever reason, wrote a circle on the card (next to the rookie cup) and sent it through the printing process.

I have seen three of them over the last 20 plus years and the reason I ask is because my Cousin recently "re discovered" his. We knew about it for over 20 years but he had misplaced it until I pestered him to find it. I also found that 1986 Sportsflics Yount Yankee logo variation which got him over $100 recently.

Anyone have any info on the Wills?

Lastly, because of the JunkWaxGems site, I was motivated to go through all my 1988 Topps I bought as a kid hoping I still had ONE of those Topps Sweepstakes "card not included" card I remember noticing back then. Well couldnt find THAT version but I found 2-3 of the black arrow variations.

Thanks again guys and I would love to get that Wills added to the book Mr. Lemke image
    The 1978 Topps Bump Wills is pictured below (the best copy I own). It has the black mystery - print circle on the front. The big book always discounts it because there seems to be people that think the print varies. I don't believe this. For the most part they either have black cirlces, or don't.

I think this should be added to the Big Book as well, and is a great error/variation card.

If you are interested I may have another one or 2 ....

Take a look

-rt
    Buying:
  • Yes thats the Bump I was asking about. So am I correct thinking that someone at the plant circled a card and ran it through the printing process or did it happen another way?

Have you ever heard of asale of the Bump card? I recall there was one on ebay several years ago but cant remember what it went for.

Lastly, do you have a scan of the Black Box Witt?

Thanks
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    chewy350,

Turn your PM on.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).

• << <i>chewy350,

Turn your PM on. >>

Thanks, its on now.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

<< <i> especially Drabek (which never shows up for sale).

>>

What is the Drabek variation ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

• << <i>

<< <i> especially Drabek (which never shows up for sale).

>>

What is the Drabek variation ? >>

RARE version has a white inner border, or "photo frame." The black version is very common.

• Black Box Witt-

Card Rich wants-

Card on right I'm looking for more of (counterfeit?) It's a FF card.

imageimageimage
  • bak428bak428 Posts: 49 ✭✭
    There are rumored A*B* code variations for a number of players though I have never seen one, nor have any been offered for sale (the exception is Daryl Boston, which is fairly common), however, many reputable error/variation collectors swear they exist.

Jackson,

Are the E*F* code variations common?

I also found one with no letter code.
  • Those variations are pretty well-known. The E*F* guys are Tracy Jones, Al Leiter, Scott Chiamparino, Steve Olin, Cal Ripken Jr (RB) and one other that escapes me. The E*F* types are very common and the F* versions are tougher to find. Darrin Fletcher's F* version is the tougher of the two, the code-less version is the common type.

#124 Randy Bush has been found without a print code on back, though I've only seen a handful for sale on ebay over the years.

Tom Trebelhorn can be found with either an A* or B* sheet code, the A* being extremely rare.

Check out this blog I did on this set for a little more info:

1991 Topps Error & Variation Blog

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacksoncoupage...

Love your site...Keep up the great work...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Here are scans of the Trebelhorn (A*), Bush (no code), and two of the (A*B*'s) that Jackson mentioned.
    I have 34 different (A*B*'s), and they all come with the "Bold 40th" on the reverse. They were corrected extremely early.

• Thanks for the scans! This is the first time I have seen a copy of the A*B* variation (aside from the Daryl Boston).

Great find on the Trebelhorn too!

• Also, do you recall what packaging type they come from?

I know that I have pulled the white border variations exclusively out of jumbo packs.

• I'm pretty sure that they were pulled from early wax packs.
    All of the "Bold 40th" cards were pulled from regular wax before Topps changed over to the cello style wax pack.
    I have several sets of the "Bold 40th" cards, and only 34 (A*B*'s).
    They are extremely scarce in my opinion.

Tim

• << <i>I'm pretty sure that they were pulled from early wax packs.
    All of the "Bold 40th" cards were pulled from regular wax before Topps changed over to the cello style wax pack.
    I have several sets of the "Bold 40th" cards, and only 34 (A*B*'s).
    They are extremely scarce in my opinion.

Tim >>

I agree, they seem to be very scarce.

I have a 5000ct box of just Bold 40th logo cards and I don't have any A*B* varieties (though I haven't checked in some time).

Also, the Bold 40th cards can be found in cello wax, cello jumbo and 100ct packs. Possibly in racks too but I haven't opened as much of that stuff to really know.

would would a combination of

A*B* stand for on these 91 's ?

anyone ?
    Buying:

• << <i>would would a combination of

anyone ? >>

The A*B* is an unusual combination of 2 sheet codes that's purpose remains a mystery. It's unknown if these made up a separate sheet all to their own or if a portion of A* sheet cards just had the B* cope included as well for a short time.

80's + early 90's Topps sets = 792 cards

132 cards printed on 6 different sheets = 792

The 6 sheets were each labeled differently: A, B, C, D, E, F

The same players appear on each sheet unless they get changed to a different sheet, i.e. 1988 Topps Big or 1992 Topps Gold Winners, where you can find a player with an A* and a B* version on back.

<< <i>

<< <i>would would a combination of

anyone ? >>

80's + early 90's Topps sets = 792 cards

132 cards printed on 6 different sheets = 792

The 6 sheets were each labeled differently: A, B, C, D, E, F

The same players appear on each sheet unless they get changed to a different sheet, i.e. 1988 Topps Big or 1992 Topps Gold Winners, where you can find a player with an A* and a B* version on back. >>

Thats what I thought, but why BOTH A*B* THEN ?
    Buying:
  • It was just an error on Topps' part that was quickly corrected.
    I don't think many A*B*'s were packed out though.

Tim

• << <i>It was just an error on Topps' part that was quickly corrected.
    I don't think many A*B*'s were packed out though.

Tim >>

I'm not sure if they were errors or just a production/format change. There are several Topps-issued sets that have cards using E*F*, C*D*, A*B* code combos. All of the 1992 Topps Pre-Production and Pre-Production Gold cards have the A*B* code combo on back, this makes me wonder if Topps initially had an entire sheet of these 1991 A*B* cards running.

• That's probably true about the A*B* sheet.
    For some unknown reason though they scrapped it rather quickly.
    Lots of wacky stuff going on with the '91 set.
    I wonder if the original plan was for all of the sheets to contain the "Bold 40th" variations instead of just the A* and B* sheets.
    Possibly as a tie-in to their 40th Anniversary.
    Points to ponder..................

Tim
    pretty kewl....hope I don't waste too much $$ on 91's., lol
    Buying:

• << <i>That's probably true about the A*B* sheet.
    For some unknown reason though they scrapped it rather quickly.
    Lots of wacky stuff going on with the '91 set.
    I wonder if the original plan was for all of the sheets to contain the "Bold 40th" variations instead of just the A* and B* sheets.
    Possibly as a tie-in to their 40th Anniversary.
    Points to ponder..................

Tim >>

I'm pretty certain that 1991 Topps is the most variation-heavy set in the company's entire catalog.

A few Bold 40th notes:

-I have found many cards from the C*, D* and E* sheets that have 1/3 or 1/2 of a Bold logo on back. I support the theory that they were planning on "bolding" other sheets.

-A short run variation also exists on the Bold 40th cards where the area with their bio info (birth/draft/etc) is bold like the logo too. This was changed to the pink color commonly found on them.

-Most (if not all) A* and B* cards from Desert Shield packs are of the Bold 40th variety.

good info!
    Buying:
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I don't have any desire to start collecting 1991 Topps cards, but I still find this thread to be fascinating. Thanks, guys!
  • Here is yet another scarce variation in the '91 Topps set.
    I've never seen this one mentioned before in any of the guides.
    The card in question is '91 Topps Bert Blyleven #615.

Check out the 'Maj. Lea. Totals' on the bottom left.
    The 'Maj. Lea. Totals' on the top card in the following scan is clearly much larger than the card on the bottom.
    I have 55 Blyleven's, and only one of them is of the 'large' variety.

• Great eye!

You know, I used to pull the Blylevens aside for two reasons:

1. On front, he can be found with a yellow dot by his arm, this affected a large chunk of the run. Also can be found with 1 yellow dot and one pink dot on front.

2. It was one of the few cards in the set where the print code/copyright info was outside of the stat box and in the border - I was always looking for something on this card but couldn't quite figure out what.

good info, it keeps getting better and better
    Buying:
  • The yellow dot is right above his glove, and the pink dot is on his cap.
    The large 'Maj. Lea. Totals' variation has neither dot on the front of the card.
    It's funny how the variations from this set just keep popping up almost 20 years later.

Tim
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 55 Blyleven's, and only one of them is of the 'large' variety. >>

This thread has me looking through boxes of stuff I haven't looked at in awhile and found three Blyleven's of which they all have the large print.

BARF !!!!!!!!!!!
    Buying:

In case anyone is trying to put a checklist together of the A*B* cards.

Here is a scan of # 170 Carlton Fisk.

• Here is a recent of find: Frank Tanana's card now has three different versions:

1. 269 K's in '75 with diamond (larger MLB MLBPA line)
    2. 269 K's in '75 without diamond (larger MLB MLPBPA line)
    3. 269 K's in '75 without diamond (smaller MLB MLBPA line)

Also,

Mark Davidson

1. Missing left side of years listed in stats
    2. Years in stats complete

Darnell Coles

1. Missing most of M in "90 MARINERS" and, "LFA. TOTALS" on back
    2. Complete "90 MARINERS" and "LEA. TOTALS" on back.

Rex Hudler

1. 1/3" black line on front above team banner
    2. 1/3" black line has been airbrushed green to blend into grassy background

1989 Topps

Lou Brock Turn Back The Clock

1. Errant red line on jersey
    2. Line poorly airbrushed (slightly visible still)

Not sure how well it will show in the scans. The Black line on the Rex Hudler seems to fade away in stages.

• Yep. I have a few where it looks like Topps airbrushed the line with a green ink and others where the line is hard to find.

• Just wanted to share a few new blog postings with everyone!

<< <i>Just wanted to share a few new blog postings with everyone! >>

Nice read !!!

good findings
    Buying:
  • I feel it's also worth pointing out in this thread, that there are two different versions of the "Bold 40th Logo" type:

One with the border and 40th logo in a dark, bold red and the bio data area a pink color.

One with the border, 40th logo, and the bio data area in a dark, bold red color. This second variety seems to be much scarcer.

Here's an example of all three known back varieties:

anyone want a Drabek "white border" variation PM me I will sell it..

thanks

rt
    richtree@gmail.com
    Buying:
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Following up on my error/variation search weekend I have moved on to 1991 Topps.

Found alot of the errors referenced in this thread and I'll post some pics here -

#337 - A - Keith Comstock Cubs (error) - Top

#337 - B - Keith Comstock Mariners (corrected) - Bottom

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com