Home U.S. Coin Forum

How often do Priority/Express Mail packages get lost compared to Registered Mail packages?

drddmdrddm Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am not thrilled about the new shipping policy change at PCGS. image

I know from talking to my postal clerk that Priority Mail gets lumped together with the rest of the regular mail and that Express mail is shipped seperately, but I know for a fact that Registered Mail is THE safest way to ship anything anywhere. It's under lock and key at ALL times and the only type of mail that postal workers lose their jobs over if a package somehow gets lost, which I understand RARELY happens.

But, how often does Priority Mail and Express Mail packages get lost? I'm sure more often than Registered Mail.........anyone know?

I really hope the option of Registered mail still exists at PCGS for those who want to use it for their coins.

I may not own any $100,000+ coins or can ship a total combined worth of $100,000+ in coins to PCGS to qualify for the Registered mail service, but I feel my coins are expensive enough that I would want the extra added security that Registered mail provides. And, I really don't mind waiting a few extra days (even if its more than that at times) if I know that they are going to be safe in transit.

Anyone else besides me not thrilled with this new shipping policy change at PCGS?

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Maybe there's an option which allows you to decide which mail service you would like to choose image
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if that is available Stone.

Did anyone call PCGS today to ask if you can still choose the type of service you want to ship your coins with?
  • I am not happy at all with the new shipping policy for security reasons. I would gladly pay the difference for Registered Mail, but I am not sure I will go along with sending maybe $5,000 to $10,000 coins back to me by Priority or Express Mail. I want to make sure the coins are safe, not just have the money from the Post Office insurance. I might just keep them in their Mint boxes and buy a graded coin on e-Bay if I really want a graded coin badly enough.
  • I am happy about the change. Its going to cost me less and if the coins are lost or stolen its up to pcgs to reimburse me for any loss, as long as I state the value I am perfectly safe.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    How do you know for a fact that registered is the safest? I've shipped over 6000 packages in the past 3 years. I've shipped perhaps 150 registered packages.

I haven't had a single one of the first class, priority, or express mail packages lost of stolen. I haven't had any registered mail packages lost or stolen either.

But I've heard lots of stories of various packages being lost or stolen including stories of registered mail being pilfered. So my set of facts doesn't support one way being safer than another. If you go on here-say, then most here believe registered is safer but I have no factual basis for that claim. I have moved away from registered for $5k and less because express is quicker, easier, and fully insured for about the same money. It also doesn't scream, "I'm a very expensive item" like registered does.

--Jerry

<< <i>I am not happy at all with the new shipping policy for security reasons. I would gladly pay the difference for Registered Mail, but I am not sure I will go along with sending maybe $5,000 to $10,000 coins back to me by Priority or Express Mail. I want to make sure the coins are safe, not just have the money from the Post Office insurance. I might just keep them in their Mint boxes and buy a graded coin on e-Bay if I really want a graded coin badly enough. >>

BTW, PCGS is not using USPS insurance. The USPS doesn't offer insurance at the levels indicated on the table for the services chosen. But some of us who sell graded PCGS $5000 to $10000 coins on ebay are liking what we're hearing here. --Jerryimage
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am happy about the change. Its going to cost me less and if the coins are lost or stolen its up to pcgs to reimburse me for any loss, as long as I state the value I am perfectly safe. >>

From a business side, that is fine. From the collector's side, it would SUCK to lose a coin that you searched for for years, or something that has family/emotional value that you submitted to keep safe, etc; regardless of being "reimbursed" for the true market value.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    The savings is not all that great either.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    All packages shipped would be fully insured so I don't understand why there is all this worry about losing shipments. Of all the Express mail items I've sent and received during my career (sometimes multiple items daily) I have never had an item completely lost.

Registered mail is safe but incredibly slow. The security does not compensate for the lack of punctuality.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I think both dealer and collector will appreciate the faster delivery times. But I think the difference between a collector and dealer is that a dealer probably would be fine with losing a package as his intent is to convert the item to cash anyway. A collector may feel different about a lost coin. One that he may of searched years to obtain. He will get his money back but now has to hunt down another coin for that slot.

I agree though that 99.99% of the time that priority will be just as safe as registered mail. In 20+ years of collecting numerous items. Only 2 packages have ever been lost by the post office. I am fine with the decision but thought the return shipping would be a little cheaper especially if they are self insuring
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    I've been lucky, I guess. I haven't had any issues with lost outgoing shipments.

Common Sense, doing things the right way & insuring when appropriate works!

As for irreplacable rare coins, being compensated is OK but does NOT get such

coins back, not even using Registered Mail. Sometimes coins DO get switched by

accident - no doubt! Such is a submitter's/ seller's Nightmare!
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I'm not too worried about the PCGS policy change, the element of risk in domestic shipments has always seemed acceptably low to me.

But I would be curious to know about official USPS loss rates by shipment class, just for the sake of it. I imagine that's not the sort of thing they'd like to advertise, but some busybody must've done a FOIA request for the info at some point. Didn't find anything with a quick & dirty scan of google though...
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I will certainly err on the conservative (high) side on declared values.
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been using USPS Priority for at least ten years to ship various things from computer parts to coins, and I have never had one get lost or even damaged. I have the fullest confidence in using USPS Priority.
  • in 11 years of shipping stuff for ebay i have never had a lost priority mail package (sent with either delivery or Sig. confirmation)

I did have a flat rate envelope disappear for 6 MONTHS sent Express to my attorney lol.
  • Our insurance company (which is one of the companies that covers a lot of coin dealers) charges the same rate to cover Express Mail and Registered Mail shipments, because they consider them to be of equal risk.

Registered is under lock and key, but a typical shipment sent that route might be "in the USPS system" for 15 days, vs 1 day for Express Mail. Every day en route add risk.

• NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    In the last four years I have shipped about 300+ packages. I would say the breakdown on those is probably 30+ Express, 30+ Registered and 240+ Priority. In that period of time I have lost one Priority and one Registered package...

<< <i>

<< <i>I am happy about the change. Its going to cost me less and if the coins are lost or stolen its up to pcgs to reimburse me for any loss, as long as I state the value I am perfectly safe. >>

From a business side, that is fine. From the collector's side, it would SUCK to lose a coin that you searched for for years, or something that has family/emotional value that you submitted to keep safe, etc; regardless of being "reimbursed" for the true market value. >>

That is the real issue here and a very valid point. --Jerry

<< <i>Our insurance company (which is one of the companies that covers a lot of coin dealers) charges the same rate to cover Express Mail and Registered Mail shipments, because they consider them to be of equal risk.

Registered is under lock and key, but a typical shipment sent that route might be "in the USPS system" for 15 days, vs 1 day for Express Mail. Every day en route add risk. >>

The USPS also charges the same insurance rates on registered and insured. They must feel the safety is about the same.

The 3rd party insurance company that I use for large packages tells me how to ship if I want coverage and registered isn't one of the options. --Jerry
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All packages shipped would be fully insured so I don't understand why there is all this worry about losing shipments. Of all the Express mail items I've sent and received during my career (sometimes multiple items daily) I have never had an item completely lost.

Registered mail is safe but incredibly slow. The security does not compensate for the lack of punctuality. >>

Bochiman has already addressed this issue, but it is important enough to visit a second time. The important thing for many collectors is the coin, not the insured dollar value. In my case I am not shipping easily found and replaced coins rather, I am shipping coins that in some cases have taken years to find. The dollar value means virtually nothing in these cases, whereas the coin means almost everything.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Express doesn't help if I don't know what day it will arrive here. If I could tell them not to send it while I'm out of town, that would be better. At least with Registered, it's locked until I come back.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Registered mail is safe but incredibly slow. The security does not compensate for the lack of punctuality. >>

At times, even the old Pony Express mail was faster than Registered Mail.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Our insurance company (which is one of the companies that covers a lot of coin dealers) charges the same rate to cover Express Mail and Registered Mail shipments, because they consider them to be of equal risk.

Registered is under lock and key, but a typical shipment sent that route might be "in the USPS system" for 15 days, vs 1 day for Express Mail. Every day en route add risk. >>

Text

If that isn't the truth!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file