Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay says nothing wrong with misleading $650 auction for an empty box.

The ebay auction titled 2008 W $50 Gold Buffalo/2008 W $50 UNC Gold Buffalo/BOX
ended with a winning bid of $650. I wrote to eBay about this fraudulent auction, especially since the disclaimer that it was only an empty box was in small print and not in
the auction title. Furthermore, the slash before the word "box" is understood to mean "AND" where space is limited, such as Unc 1884 Carson City Dollar/Box/Cert or a
combination AM/FM/Weather radio.

My letter explaining this to eBay was answered thusly:

Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:49:18 -0700 (MST)
From: eBay Customer Support - rswebhelp <rswebhelp@ebay.com>
To: <frank@frankcoins.com>
Message-ID: <19784415.706785.1262900959056.JavaMail.stkana1@rhv-vmkas-104>
Subject: Re: BN%P10072 Selling Coins [#US A11 100881T ?01 ]
(KMM13689366I15977L0KM)

Dear eBay Member,

Thanks for reporting listing 250556035550 to us.

I investigated this listing and found that it does not violate our
Selling Currency policy as the policy does not deal with coin boxes,
only with coins. There is no prohibition on selling boxes.

In the future, try using the "Report item" link on the right side of the
listing. It's the fastest and easiest way to report a listing.

Again, thank you for the report.

Sincerely,

Heidi
eBay Customer Support

This is a disgrace, and the FTC and post office and the ANA should really hammer ebay for knowingly allowing this auction to end with a winning
bidder after being warned . This is right up there (but a bigger loss of money) with the "$99 X-Box box" (they got a box) and
"CHECK THE PHOTO! WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU ACTUALLY GET" (a photo)

If you have a few minutes this weekend, forward this message to your local paper, news radio station, maybe Mr. Moy of the US Mint. Ebay deserves some
wide publicity for their ever increasing stupidity and failure to protect their buyers.

And it was Heidi that pulled my auction a couple of years ago of a 1950 Franklin in Proof 65 Cameo in a PCI slab signed by Rick Tomaska with the notation that it
was used as a reference coin for PCGS's graders when Tomaska helped PCGS develop their standards for DCAM/CAM 1950-1970 Proofs

Tomaska actually WROTE THE BOOK FOR THESE COINS

Ebay suspended me for 10 days, and Heidi said the history of that coin doesn't change the fact that I deliberately chose to violate eBay's
Counterfeit Coin policy.
Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

Comments

• Options
    I don't see anything misleading. He states it several times in the description.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems clear to me, there's a subtitle that says it's an empty box and no coin is pictured anywhere. I just can't believe people would even pay 1/100th of that price for an empty box.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Frank,
    what is your issue with ebay? This ebay seller that you bring up and undeservingly shows no photo of any coin, only an empty box and in his/her decription he clearly states repeatedly over and over and all over that there is no coin just an empty box. He couldn't make it any clearer. >>

My issue with Ebay is that the ad is clearly deceptive and in violation of the law. It was listed under the category of Gold Coins. It should have been listed under coin holders and supplies. And it was DELIBERATE DECEPTION set up to
    cheat last minute snipers trying to buy gold under melt. Exactly the same as selling a used car engine under the category of CARS rather than PARTS and using the title

2007 Mustang GT/LOW MILEAGE/4.6-liter V8 engine!
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    who the hell bid on it??? and why? or could he have edited listing late after bids were in but before the deadline?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no law that states which category one has to use.
    I can see listing a box that held a certain coin IN THAT coin's category. Some folks would not think to look in "coin holders/supplies".
    If the winning bidder knew what they were getting with that bid, and it was legit, I have no issues with it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    WELCOME TO THIS VERY RARE ITEM.....THIS IS A EMPTY BOX NO COIN!!! NO COIN, THIS IS A EMPTY BOX!!! 2008W $50 UNC BOX, COA, JUST AS YOU SEE IN THE PHOTOS! IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE SMART ONES THAT PURCHASED THE 08 W $50 GOLD BUFFALOS FOR A HUGE INVESTMENT!!!!!! GRADED AND DON'T HAVE THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING, THIS IS MAYBE WHAT YOU WANT. TIME IS RUNNING OUT, THEY ONLY DID JUST OVER 3K SINGLE 1 OUNCE 08 W BUFFALOS. THIS BOX IS 100% CLEAN, NONE SMOKING HOME, ALWAYS SEALED IN PLASTIC, !!!!! USA SALES ONLY!!!!! AGAIN THIS IS A EMPTY BOX WITH NO COIN. THE PHOTOS YOU SEE IS THE ITEM YOU GET.

Methinks the bidders need to read what they are bidding on.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see anything misleading. He states it several times in the description. >>

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    I don't think its misleading at all. I glanced at it for about 10 seconds and saw "empty box" at least twice image
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    will be interesting to see if feedback is left on this transaction.....something fishy.
  • Options

<< <i>In the future, try using the "Report item" link on the right side of the >>

You see!! It's your fault!! image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "And it was DELIBERATE DECEPTION set up to cheat last minute snipers trying to buy gold under melt."

Last minute snipers, as well as all buyers, should read the description before bidding.

"If you have a few minutes this weekend, forward this message to your local paper, news radio station, maybe Mr. Moy of the US Mint. Ebay deserves some
    wide publicity for their ever increasing stupidity and failure to protect their buyers."

I'm sure that if the buyer does not received WHAT WAS DESCRIBED, then Ebay will protect the buyer.

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The listing was not misleading at all...any bidder with a 2nd grade education could understand what was being offered here...if someone chooses to bid without reading what is being offered for sale, it's rather difficult to have any sympathy for them, especially when said bidder is trying to potentially rip off the seller by sniping a 1 oz. gold coin at half spot. I think the OP is way off base here.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>The listing was not misleading at all...any bidder with a 2nd grade education could understand what was being offered here...if someone chooses to bid without reading what is being offered for sale, it's rather difficult to have any sympathy for them, especially when said bidder is trying to potentially rip off the seller by sniping a 1 oz. gold coin at half spot. I think the OP is way off base here. >>

Translation: read the fine print morons. image
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The listing was not misleading at all...any bidder with a 2nd grade education could understand what was being offered here...if someone chooses to bid without reading what is being offered for sale, it's rather difficult to have any sympathy for them, especially when said bidder is trying to potentially rip off the seller by sniping a 1 oz. gold coin at half spot. I think the OP is way off base here. >>

Try this and you could easily be facing a federal indictment for wire fraud.

I love how people complain about Robert Chambers charging double wholesale for coins on TV, but they defend this ebay crook!

In this case there is clearly no meeting of the minds between seller and buyer and therefore no contract. If the seller takes steps to affirmatively create the mis-impression (such as listing a worthelss item on Ebay) and accepts value, then it is fraud, and since he used the Internet, it's wire fraud, and since it involved interstate commerce (if the buyer is from another state) it's a federal offense.

Check out how Judge Judy views a similar listing on ebay.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't these Mint Original Packaging Materials normally a $5-10 item image

Guess none of the bidders as children ever read The Emperor's New Clothes image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And it was Heidi that pulled my auction a couple of years ago ... >>

Umm, Frank, Heidi is a generic name used by ¾ of the feepay customer support ppl.

Oh, and there's nothing misleading aboot the auction.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with that Auction. It clearly states empty box. Me thinks the OP may have a seperate beef with Ebay over something else? image
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭
    >>>Check out how Judge Judy views a similar listing on ebay.<<<

While I share with your concerns of non-coins being listed under Coin titles and listings crafted to sell someone a photo, this particular auction did everything it could to ensure that a bidder knew that there was no coin. Unlike the auctions crafted to sell someone a photo, this auction is actually selling something of value. You and I may not agree with the final price but we have seen materials go for big prices before. In addition, there were 4 bidders all of whom bid well before the end of the auction, no snipes. I have to believe that they knew what they were bidding on and if not, they had plenty of time to check the auction to make sure they knew what they were bidding on. No foul IMO.

Joe.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I have sold some old early commen boxes for quite a bit of money, not as much as this buff box but pretty decent. I am not a big fan of this type of auction but the seller did describe what he was selling. I am amazed at the number of bidders that do not read the descriptions. I know they do not from the questions they have asked me about items for sale.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a thought:

Since there seems to be quite a few people who feel that the auction is not misleading, why not leave it up to the buyer to decide? If he feels he did not get what he paid for, it would be easy enough to get a PayPal reversal for "item not as described".
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    This is a poor example of a scammer auction.

The only thing incorrect is the following description part:

"ALWAYS SEALED IN PLASTIC."

Obviously the coin was removed and so the box was not always sealed in plastic.

Otherwise auction seems ok to me.

Joe
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a thought:

Since there seems to be quite a few people who feel that the auction is not misleading, why not leave it up to the buyer to decide? If he feels he did not get what he paid for, it would be easy enough to get a PayPal reversal for "item not as described". >>

IMO, I cannot see PayPal reversing this. The seller would have to let the buyer out.

Joe.
  • Options
    Frank, Frank, Frank. I as much as anyone else, am also frustrated and angry over many of eBay's policies, especially the REQUIREMENT that buyers use PayPal to pay for winnings. With fees as high as 3.9% for PayPal plus eBay fees as high as 8% or even more, unless sellers are hawking garage sale junk, an eBay sale can often mean a significant loss for the seller.

But, I digress. In the case of the nice gold Buffalo BOX, the seller was quite clear on exactly what is was he was selling! The Judge Judy link you provided was entertaining but not in any way similar. I like your rightous indignation, Frank, I do. But in this case it's been misdirected. Move along folks. Nothing to see here. Make sure to see the bearded lady in our next midway extravaganza.

On another note and completely off topic, I am now home from a harrowing three weeks in hospital and finally resolving some thorny issues. I discovered I was quite near death when I was zipped open two weeks ago, but I am now out of the woods. Mending will take at least twelve
    weeks only to face another surgery, and unlike Levi Johnston, I'm afraid my modeling days are finally over. I need to lose weight, but 27 lbs in three weeks was too much and I'm feeling weak as a kitten. That will improve with some hard work. Thanks to all who wrote both on the forums and by email.

Ira Stein
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am betting that the winner of this item knew exactly what it was, and paid a price for it. Some of these boxes make the difference in hundreds of dollars on what you can get, now 600 does seem far fetched, but I was in a postion where I would have paid 200+ bucks for a Proof gold eagle box last month, as it was the difference between getting 1700 and 2100 for the same coin!!!!!
  • Options
    dantheman984dantheman984 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am betting that the winner of this item knew exactly what it was, and paid a price for it. Some of these boxes make the difference in hundreds of dollars on what you can get, now 600 does seem far fetched, but I was in a postion where I would have paid 200+ bucks for a Proof gold eagle box last month, as it was the difference between getting 1700 and 2100 for the same coin!!!!! >>

I agree.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If the seller takes steps to affirmatively create the mis-impression (such as listing a worthelss item on Ebay)

Frank it may be worthless to you but for someone that needs that box it might not be.

Not sure why you chose this specific auction and seller. Did you have a problem with him previous to this?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No fraud, no deception.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I should start selling the envelopes my coins come in. "This package once held an 1884-CC dollar...." I am missing an opportunity here. image
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with this auction Frank........P.T.Barnum will collect his fee....!!!!....
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    I don't think anyone who reads that listing could miss the fact that they're selling an empty box.
    It says so several times.
    JMHO.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I detest people trying to fool buyers with misleading auction text, but in this case I believe the seller was appropriately (if not 100% completely) upfront.

I do feel the seller was hoping to lure a buyer who didn't read the page closely, due to the "no return" policy. But the fact it was an empty box was stated 6 times that I could find, along with the photo that shows an empty box with no coin.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    I didn't like the title, didn't see the subtitle, and didn't like his use of all caps. But the description was clear and apparently that's what those boxes have been selling for.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Here is another that sold for $575. Different seller. Perhaps this is fair market value for this item.

Text
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Is this an issue with the auction or that the packaging is important to some collectors?
    I really don't see an issue with the listing. Early on when I bought a couple to cover some slabbed coins for about 200 each I thought it that was crazy money, guess I did alright after all.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It is too bad people are willing to pay so much for an empty box, but they stated in the description empty box and no coin multiple times. The description is very clear, the photo shows no coin and there is no where in the listing where the say coin included. One of these sold the other day for about $500, so this is a bit higher than that one. Some people who purchased these graded without a box must simply feel this low mintage coin has to have the box.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    please post pics when your box arrives
  • Options
    Check his recent feedback. He sold another box for $513 (without capsule in the pic) and a proof box for $49. Proof boxes (without capsule) must not carry the same value. The buyer of this box, if the capsule was included, may have paid current market value with it included.
    "The 2nd Protects the 1st"

Everyman Peace Dollar Set

Recommended Sellers with positive transactions: Coindeuce, Walkerguy21D, Connecticoin (ebay), itsnotjustme, camera28
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have been more concerned about the possibility of the box and COA being a cheap knock off. Stupid premiums for Mint packaging like the one discussed here are what fuel the black market for knock off material. Mass market promoters have churned out hundreds of thousands of replica Proof / Mint set envelopes in the past, for sets that were purchased at very low wholesale levels sans packaging. Shame on the general public for valuing packaging that adds no real numismatic value.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Shame on the general public for valuing packaging that adds no real numismatic value.

A plastic slab could be seen in the same light, "real" is pretty subjective.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The title was blatantly misleading, no question

Not in my opinion......it just wasn't as patently obvious as the description where box only was listed 6 separate times. If I saw the "/box" in the title then immediately I would have wondered if this was just for a box as there are multiple ways to interpret a "forward slash." Anyone bidding based on a title only with no consideration for photos, seller's FB rating, payment methods, return privileges, shipping fees, etc. is a fool. And they are soon parted from their money. The buyer may very well have known they were bidding on an empty box.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see nothing wrong with that auction. It appears that the OP did not do his homework before posting his concern. The 2008 proof empty gold boxes are and have been selling for big bucks on eBay. Not sure if it has something to do with Gold IRA's...somebody mentioned, in order to qualify, you must have the OGP
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    In ebay's history three unc boxes have been sold for $499,$575 and $650.Two are active with a BIN of $620 and a starting bid of $599(no bids yet).
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The title was blatantly misleading, no question

Not in my opinion......it just wasn't as patently obvious as the description where box only was listed 6 separate times. If I saw the "/box" in the title then immediately I would have wondered if this was just for a box as there are multiple ways to interpret a "forward slash." Anyone bidding based on a title only with no consideration for photos, seller's FB rating, payment methods, return privileges, shipping fees, etc. is a fool. And they are soon parted from their money. The buyer may very well have known they were bidding on an empty box.

roadrunner >>

The sub title also states an empty box.

Joe

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as there is no coin involved
    this is the wrong forum

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "THIS WAY TO THE EGRESS!"

P. T. Barnum
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>I see nothing wrong with that auction. It appears that the OP did not do his homework before posting his concern. The 2008 proof empty gold boxes are and have been selling for big bucks on eBay. Not sure if it has something to do with Gold IRA's...somebody mentioned, in order to qualify, you must have the OGP >>

BINGO! Can't believe more people didn't mention this. I recently sold an intact 1993 Gold Eagle Proof Set to a dealer and he literally quoted me I think $1500 LESS if I did not have the OGP. Luckily I did. But if you are trying to add coins to an IRA, you had better have the box.

Frank- The auction isn't even misleading in the first place. I understand your points, but the sniper comment makes me laugh. The eBay bidder has to "confirm" their bid and agree to have READ THE ACTUAL DESCRIPTION. If you or someone else throws in a last minute bid for an item they didn't read, well, too bad. Personal Responsibility and Logic need to play a larger role in people's lives today. Just my thoughts.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    I cant believe the responses here. IMO the auction was clearly set up to lure buyers who did not read the description. Surely none of you believe that FMV of the box is $500 - $650!!! While I am certainly in the minority of the responses here, I certainly believe that I am in the MORAL majority who would believe this auction was misleading and unfair. I know that none of the responders here and the members of this Board would post an auction like this. I mean no offense to any other opinions. While technically reading the auction completely might lead to a conclusion that in its entirety the auction was fair, I simply do not believe that should be the test of the fairness of the auction. I think the intent and the effect are important as well.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think its misleading at all. I glanced at it for about 10 seconds and saw "empty box" at least twice image >>

I agree 100% not misleading at all...Maybe the buyers should read the listing...image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
This discussion has been closed.