Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2001 Sacagawea's Available on the Direct Ship Program

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
Now this is interesting!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Is this a typo for 2010 or do they list those separately as well?

Honestly, would anyone be shocked if they had millions of dollars in these coins sitting in the vaults waiting to be circulated?
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    It just dawned on me it says 2001!image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options

<< <i>Is this a typo for 2010 or do they list those separately as well?

Honestly, would anyone be shocked if they had millions of dollars in these coins sitting in the vaults waiting to be circulated? >>

No Typo.........

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Rachael at the U.S Mint just confirmed they are the 2001 issue.... image

I wonder how long until the other years become avail....
  • Options
    Will they add any Morgans?
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    No typo. These are 2001 Sacs. 2 Box limit (500 coins).

Order placed.

And with 5% Bing Cash back, I am really pulling you leg.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

<< <i>Will they add any Morgans? >>

I would back the truck up..... image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deja vu all over again... similar to the 01 Kennedy Half dollar.

Those took nearly 8 years to get rid of and there were only 21 million '01 Kennedy halves struck, if I recall correctly... there were over a hundred million 2001 Sacagaweas minted, with no legislation to destroy them back in '01. So they've been on the shelf, and it could possibly take until after the National Parks Quarter Program is finished before we get them off the shelf.

Imagine that image ya gotta love it.

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭
    >>Will they add any Morgans?>>

GSA offering took care of that........64-D are much more likely image

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    I wonder if this will add to the appeal of these rolls... Treasure hunt, maybe?

<< <i>2001-P SACAGAWEA DOLLAR - EXPERIIMENTAL RINSE Mintage: Circulation strikes: Unknown, but limited Proofs: 0 >>

• Options

<< <i>Rachael at the U.S Mint just confirmed they are the 2001 issue.... image

I wonder how long until the other years become avail.... >>

2001 was the LAST year these were produced for circulation. 2002 - 2008 were produced only for collectors in very small quantities.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Will they add any Morgans? >>

That would be w-a-a-y cool! image

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Rachael at the U.S Mint just confirmed they are the 2001 issue.... image

I wonder how long until the other years become avail.... >>

2001 was the LAST year these were produced for circulation. 2002 - 2008 were produced only for collectors in very small quantities. >>

I don't think I have ever found a 2001 in circulation.. Kinda cool though. For face value.

Were many of the experimental rinse coins found?
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Yep. According to published mint numbers, there are rather alot of 2000 and 2001 Sacs stored away.

They made about 1.28 billion 2000 Sacs.

They made about 133 million 2001 Sacs.

From then on, the 'collector demand' could be satisfied with about 5 to 7 million Sacs.

That's about 12 thousand tons of coins stored away.

Weighs a little more than a cruiser. A little less than a battleship.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adam is correct

edit the year in the url
    mint production figures - 2000

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Welcome New Member MorganHunter!
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome New Member MorganHunter! >>

Thank You.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 01-P Sacs had virtually no value before this (bid $1.15/coin after near 9 years) - is there a reason to buy these? 01-D coins would be slightly better (were $1.75/coin bid)... is there a chance one would get mostly D coins? Thoughts?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I bought a box because I have every year but the 2001 in rolls. And at face value I guess I couldn't lose money.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I doubt if they will ever have any value except for the milage on your credit card.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and to check for blanks and other errors.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Lets just say I took 5 people to Hawaii on frequent flyer miles last year.That required 200,000 miles of Delta miles.

In addition to the mile per dollar spent, there are 5.000 mile bonuses at $15,000 and $25,000 spent.
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    I need some 2005 rolls. Hope they offer them at face in a few years!
  • Options

<< <i>I need some 2005 rolls. Hope they offer them at face in a few years! >>

I bought a few off ebay a few years ago for 28 dollars shipped. image
  • Options

<< <i>I need some 2005 rolls. Hope they offer them at face in a few years! >>

That ain't gonna happen since the rolls were $35.95 each from the mint.

Or I supposed you coulda spent $319 for a bag of $250.

Like I stated earlier, 2001 was the last year these were minted for circulation as 2002-2008 were for collectors only and were sold in bags of 250 or individual mint rolls.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lets just say I took 5 people to Hawaii on frequent flyer miles last year.That required 200,000 miles of Delta miles.

In addition to the mile per dollar spent, there are 5.000 mile bonuses at $15,000 and $25,000 spent. >>

But, did you stay within their intent or did you just redeposit them still in the rolls/boxes?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the warehouse has plenty of Sacajawea dollars left. They will be pulling these out until the next century.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I, too, hope they someday make the '04's thru 06's available as well, even if made in much smaller numbers (they couldn't have gotten rid of ALL of them!).............. I still need 3 each year P & D to get my collection up-to-date...............image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    they are not available for a week

is that because they have to find them in halfstrike's storage unit?
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭
    Why didn't they just change the date on them from 2001 to 2010 so they'd be current? image
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    All the dollar coins I bought through the direct ship program have either been spent, or remain in my possession. No roll size transactions.

Of those 200,000 miles, much was from a lifetime of Delta travel, and then the credit card miles to take it to the level I needed.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

I don't think I have ever found a 2001 in circulation.. Kinda cool though. For face value.

.....that's cause the mint was holding them all these years!

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

.....it'll be cool to see the great eagle reverse again!!
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    HalfStrike- is that a legit photo or just something you dug up?
    I can't really tell if that's boxes of coins or not.
    It kind looks like a beer distributor to me image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    With the dollar losing value this may be the Mint's last chance to break even on these.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    lope208 that's the picture at the end of the Indiana Jones movie, it's the government warehouse but I deleted it in case anyone is confused.

BTW I like the direct ship program, I hope those coins all get spent.
  • Options

<< <i>BTW I like the direct ship program, I hope those coins all get spent. >>

Hmmmm. Does it really matter? I mean seriously, does it REALLY matter?

- Has ANYBODY (and we all do it image ) ever looked in some cash register drawer and spotted a slot full of dollar coins next to the quarters?

- Has ANYBODY ever received a dollar coin in change without having to ask for it? (Aside from post office stamp machines)

Until the above occurs on a regular basis, any dollar coin you spend will simply get sent back to the bank which in turn will return it to the Feds. The circulation stops at that point.

BOTTOM LINE:

- Any dollar coins ordered by banks are merely to service those folks that want to either collect them or stick rolls away for future speculation.

- Any Direct Ship rolls ordered are ONLY ordered by collectors since small businesses order their coinage through local banks. Small businesses DO NOT have accounts at the US Mint website so that they can order coinage.

Of course all of the above doesn't mean that the Direct Ship program should be abused but............ it is a feeble attempt at getting dollar coins to circulate.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the mint will clean house with other stored rolls? I'll buy both 2001 & 2010 to help them get into circulation. People just love it when I pay with Sac dollars
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BTW I like the direct ship program, I hope those coins all get spent. >>

Hmmmm. Does it really matter? I mean seriously, does it REALLY matter?

- Has ANYBODY (and we all do it image ) ever looked in some cash register drawer and spotted a slot full of dollar coins next to the quarters?

- Has ANYBODY ever received a dollar coin in change without having to ask for it? (Aside from post office stamp machines)

Until the above occurs on a regular basis, any dollar coin you spend will simply get sent back to the bank which in turn will return it to the Feds. The circulation stops at that point.

BOTTOM LINE:

- Any dollar coins ordered by banks are merely to service those folks that want to either collect them or stick rolls away for future speculation.

- Any Direct Ship rolls ordered are ONLY ordered by collectors since small businesses order their coinage through local banks. Small businesses DO NOT have accounts at the US Mint website so that they can order coinage.

Of course all of the above doesn't mean that the Direct Ship program should be abused but............ it is a feeble attempt at getting dollar coins to circulate. >>

....................................................................................................................................................

I was a dealer at a non coin trade show this weekend and I gave out $250 in GWs as change in place of $1 bills.
    They were well recieved.

Personally I think the 2010 Native American coin will be very popular.

I can't wait til they put some version out with a buffalo on the reverse!
  • Options

<< <i>....................................................................................................................................................

I was a dealer at a non coin trade show this weekend and I gave out $250 in GWs as change in place of $1 bills.
    They were well recieved.

Personally I think the 2010 Native American coin will be very popular.

I can't wait til they put some version out with a buffalo on the reverse! >>

Bravo! image

I've yet to encounter anybody (except the forum dissenters) that aren't excited to see these coins. I even had one of the smaller grocery stores ask me where I got them. I told them that any bank carries them and that they should order some to give out as change.

That never happened.

Until the merchants of the country work these into their cash drawers, they simply will not circulate!

As I've suggested, perhaps the US Mint should work something out with the big national retailers? Some type of incentive like perhaps a "Free Subscription" to order SAE's? image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I've bought one brick each of the first 8 prexy's and last year's Native American dollar and so far I have distributed more than $1,500 over the past two years. Not much, but doing my best to help out. I will definitely get the 2001 and 2010 bricks to distribute too. Stashing back a roll or two for the collection.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting...I will think about ordering some 2001's...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting...I will think about ordering some 2001's...

K >>

....i must say. i REALLY like that eagle!! so sorry to see it retired! image
  • Options
    I wonder if any 2000's remain locked away and the Cheerios reverse waiting to be found?
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I was real surprised the 2001's had the special mint wrapping on them

i was thinking they were going to be the red & white wrappers

it looks like i got all "P" mintmarks with half of the rolls showing the date

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    DUDE!

Those are eleven dollar wrappers.

I'M IN.

WOOOHOOO!
  • Options
    Native american dollar with buffalo reverse.

Seriously......someone needs to send a message to mint to make a NA dollar with a buffalo reverse.
    Buffalo reverses are proven winners and IMO it would be a huge success.

Let Sac stay on front and use something like 2005 nickel reverse.......that would generate some interest.

Heck just reissue the 1913-38 nickel with an inflation adjusted $1 denomination.
    It would be a winner!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We got our 2010's today. Have already given some out from the cash register.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    My 2010's show that they shipped out on the 14th. My 2001's do not show they have shipped out. I plan on ordering as many boxes as i can before they dissapear from the order page.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file