Home U.S. Coin Forum

2001 Sacagawea's Available on the Direct Ship Program

2»

Comments

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Mine shipped Thursday, 2010 and 2001 together in the same shipment.

Well is that special! The collector roll wrappers!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>DUDE!

Those are eleven dollar wrappers.

I'M IN.

WOOOHOOO! >>

limit #rolls-sold -> oo (premium -> $0)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ordered two 'bricks'....the limit.....is there any downside????
    I love it....thanks for this thread!!!!!!!!! S&H=$0
  • Interesting idea, but it won't achieve its intended purpose until the $1 note is eliminated.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was real surprised the 2001's had the special mint wrapping on them

i was thinking they were going to be the red & white wrappers

it looks like i got all "P" mintmarks with half of the rolls showing the date

image >>

.....the wrappers were mentioned here
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
    oops... not the same style as the original expensive wrappers.

this ought to generate at least a little confusion in the secondary markets.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>oops... not the same style as the original expensive wrappers.

this ought to generate at least a little confusion in the secondary markets. >>

.....image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

<< <i>image >>

My 9.3lb. order shipped today.....UPS Next Day Air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image

Why NDA???? That's might pricey shipping!!!!!

• << <i>

<< <i>image >>

My 9.5lb. order shipped today.....UPS Next Day Air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image

Why NDA???? That's might pricey shipping!!!!! >>

Your order exceeded $300.
    yup! > $300 just like regular orders.

but they make killer seigniorage from the dollar coins anyway. For those going into circulation it is about 69.6 cents (profit) per $1 coin. And they are ""thinking long-term acceptance and usage.""

Both of my boxes were Philly. image

Lots and lots of coins with those "rinse spots," too. This was a double bummer as I found lots of very, very nice looking coins.... and lots and lots of them were also covered with spots.

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    Man - I wish I saw this thread before I bought one of those 2001-P Sacagawea rolls on Ebay. I paid $34 + shipping, based on the idea that the uncirulated mint rolls were only available via the mint at $37. I guess theres a premium for not having to buy 10 rolls from the source, and then spend them.

Oh well - looks like I lose again. By the way there are still some SCAMsters selling them for $37 ... CAVEAT EMPTOR.

But a valuable lesson learned- Check the mintage numbers before buying anything! And the US mint is sitting on a hoard of dollar coins. Even the PCGS graded mint state dollar coins may drop in value if they start releasing them this way.

Actually spending them seems like good fun - so I support the idea of the direct ship And I like the 2001 reverse.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
    Yellow & black wrapper with the Mintmark listed on the outside: premium roll from the mint's collector set.

Yellow & black wrapper without the Mintmark listed on the outside: direct ship rolls.

you may still have the non-DirectShip roll....
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Man - I wish I saw this thread before I bought one of those 2001-P Sacagawea rolls on Ebay. I paid $34 + shipping, based on the idea that the uncirulated mint rolls were only available via the mint at $37. I guess theres a premium for not having to buy 10 rolls from the source, and then spend them.

Oh well - looks like I lose again. By the way there are still some SCAMsters selling them for $37 ... CAVEAT EMPTOR.

But a valuable lesson learned- Check the mintage numbers before buying anything! And the US mint is sitting on a hoard of dollar coins. Even the PCGS graded mint state dollar coins may drop in value if they start releasing them this way.

Actually spending them seems like good fun - so I support the idea of the direct ship And I like the 2001 reverse. >>

If the ebayer paid shipping, I wouldn't say you got scammed. Not a great deal either, but the roll is $25 by itself and, if insured, probably came to $30ish. So, they didn't make a ton, but if enough people bought them, they made a little bit. I never have understood the folks selling tons of auctions and only making ~$5 or less per auction. Sure, it adds up for volume, but not sure it is worth the time/hassle.
    I've just started spending mine as I have just gotten through most of the $750 worth of the 2010 Sacs.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Rachael at the U.S Mint just confirmed they are the 2001 issue.... image

I wonder how long until the other years become avail.... >>

2001 was the LAST year these were produced for circulation. 2002 - 2008 were produced only for collectors in very small quantities. >>

I don't think I have ever found a 2001 in circulation.. Kinda cool though. For face value.

Were many of the experimental rinse coins found? >>

I have seen many 2001 Sacs, both P and D, in circulation.
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wish i had a camera i have opened only 1 roll of the 2001 and in the middle of the roll was this dark coin, found a site that talked about the rinse ones and i am sure that is what i found, the whole coin on both sides is brown, looks really clean no marks i am thinking of sending it to pcgs and get graded as the expermental rinse, anyone know if these are worth any extra.... or if its worth it to even send in? thanks oh yeah all mine were p's
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    The sacagawea's age so quickly in humidity. My guess is it turned brown from 'improper storage'... who knows what PCGS would call it. maybe genuine?
    Methinks the # of varieties in the 2010's and the lower mintages would mean better returns for investors.

Bottom line is to keep those rolls out of the humidity...

Any tips for that>
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>wish i had a camera i have opened only 1 roll of the 2001 and in the middle of the roll was this dark coin, found a site that talked about the rinse ones and i am sure that is what i found, the whole coin on both sides is brown, looks really clean no marks i am thinking of sending it to pcgs and get graded as the expermental rinse, anyone know if these are worth any extra.... or if its worth it to even send in? thanks oh yeah all mine were p's >>

In the middle of the roll? Sure, go ahead and send it in. There is not that much to lose and much that might be gained.

But before that, have you taken a close look at it to try and determine why the discoloration? Compare it to the other coins. This is an unopened YELLOW Mint roll right?

I used to get rolls from the Fed but they seem to be mostly mixed these days.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The sacagawea's age so quickly in humidity. My guess is it turned brown from 'improper storage'... who knows what PCGS would call it. maybe genuine?
    Methinks the # of varieties in the 2010's and the lower mintages would mean better returns for investors.

Bottom line is to keep those rolls out of the humidity...

Any tips for that> >>

Dip it !

HE>I

• 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok got up this morning after reading the posts decided to go look again and now to my surprise i didnt really look at the date when i found this coin put it in a 2x2 just noticed it has the 2000 date not a 2001, it was the only brown one in that roll and it looks like these at this website, i don't understand how a 2000 can get into a 2001 mint roll but will check it out more today. here is the link i found to see the rinse coins.........http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/add002.html well just found this on ebay and it looks like the same as mine so maybe there not rinsed but just natural aging? http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-P-Sacagawea-Dollar_W0QQitemZ230451638333QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item35a7fcf03d
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
    SOLD OUT???? No mention that I can find on Mint Website.
    Are my 2 bricks worth more money now??? image

Direct Ship Link
    ""Sold Out"" image

are they paying china with them now or something?
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    A great way to get a cash advance on your credit card without the high interest. All you have to do is to agree to not "immediately" deposit these coins.

The Mint is their own worse enemy. Or should I say Congress since they kinda steer the beast.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>SOLD OUT???? No mention that I can find on Mint Website.
    Are my 2 bricks worth more money now??? image

Direct Ship Link >>

Somehow I do not think so. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Man - I wish I saw this thread before I bought one of those 2001-P Sacagawea rolls on Ebay. I paid $34 + shipping, based on the idea that the uncirulated mint rolls were only available via the mint at $37. I guess theres a premium for not having to buy 10 rolls from the source, and then spend them.

Actually spending them seems like good fun - so I support the idea of the direct ship And I like the 2001 reverse. >>

Personally, I don't feel it's a scam if folks can sell these at $34 a roll. As with anything, the buyer needs to know what they are buying before spending their money.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me about 3 month to spend the whole lot...$250. Used it for tips, small purchases and other items less than $5.00. Never had a problem, but as of now, I've never received one back in change.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    i'll keep this thread alive

FYI - i just got my latest direct ship this week

and all the 2001 rolls are "D"s now

if that matters for anyone ???? Snowman
  • If they want to make money they should strike up a couple pattern Sacagawea's and slip them in 2000 rolls and sell them.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    The Mint ...still..has a supply of the 2001....image
    ......Larry........image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Why are they wasting their time with this nonsense as the coins will only get returned to them. The only way they will be used is if they stop making the useless dollar bills.
  • Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why are they wasting their time with this nonsense as the coins will only get returned to them. The only way they will be used is if they stop making the useless dollar bills. >>

Tell me if im wrong here - Im guessing the US Mint wants the 2001's out the door and the Federal Reserve will not order them. So the only avenue is this direct ship program and the Federal Reserve will end up with most of them in due time.
    yep.

spending them only leads to eventual bank deposit, so...

that about sums it up.

<< <i>

<< <i>Why are they wasting their time with this nonsense as the coins will only get returned to them. The only way they will be used is if they stop making the useless dollar bills. >>

Tell me if im wrong here - Im guessing the US Mint wants the 2001's out the door and the Federal Reserve will not order them. So the only avenue is this direct ship program and the Federal Reserve will end up with most of them in due time. >>

I could very well be wrong but I think that the US Mint gets them from the Federal Reserve vaults by ordering them.

The name is LEE!
  • mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    They are now 10 years old and still available directly from the mint.

...ah yeah. you could still get washy prez bucks, too, i believe. image
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭✭
    I ordered some of these 2001's back on 12/27 and received them very quickly, been spending them around town already! One cashier I see on a regular basis hates the coins but it's a funny on-going joke between us.
  • I thought I read that if you buy these that it's considered a "cash advance" on your credit card? I wouldn't mind buying some to get some credit card perks. ;-) Anyone bought these recently and know the answer?
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I read that if you buy these that it's considered a "cash advance" on your credit card? I wouldn't mind buying some to get some credit card perks. ;-) Anyone bought these recently and know the answer? >>

My purchase was not treated as a cash advance, and I purchased after the new Mint rules were issued.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I read that if you buy these that it's considered a "cash advance" on your credit card? I wouldn't mind buying some to get some credit card perks. ;-) Anyone bought these recently and know the answer? >>

Nope...that was just idle talk when people were abusing the system (gee, imagine that, people abusing the system....).
    They are a CC purchase and are treated like a CC purchase. You are limited in the amount you can purchase in a certain time period though.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873

<< <i>

Nope...that was just idle talk when people were abusing the system (gee, imagine that, people abusing the system....).
    They are a CC purchase and are treated like a CC purchase. You are limited in the amount you can purchase in a certain time period though. >>

Yup you are limited to 4 boxes of $250.00 every 10 days.
  • Guess who is going to be the newest distributor of golden dollars?! ;-)
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Neat, there's 7 types listed.

us mint direct ship dollars
    Ed
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Just reading this article.
    The mint shipped over 175 million dollar coins in 2 years in the direct ship program.
    That's a lot of dollar coins and a lot of free shipping:

article link
    Ed
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    LOL guess you guys are coin staring em as I found 2 this morning at my local green meanie,
    spit out in the rejection slot (god I love that slot)

please tell me, why would these be worth anything cept a buck?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL guess you guys are coin staring em as I found 2 this morning at my local green meanie,
    spit out in the rejection slot (god I love that slot)

please tell me, why would these be worth anything cept a buck? >>

I still order these regularly & use a few here & there. My CC gives 5% back up to $500 per year towards a new car and when that one's done, 2% back on another. Very little effort for a bit'o cash back.
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just reading this article.
    The mint shipped over 175 million dollar coins in 2 years in the direct ship program.
    That's a lot of dollar coins and a lot of free shipping:

article link >>

I figure I'm responsible for at least .02% of the 175 million shipped!
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • The vending machines at work take them (much easier to use than paper dollars) and most of the regional mass transit machines in the NY/NJ area take them (and give them as change) so they can be quite handy to use.

I hope they keep this program. I'll order more when I run out!
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file