fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 93
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 175

Summary
    Total submitted = 439
    Correct = 412
    Incorrect = 27
    Disqualifed = 3 (attribution on holder or in description)

Notes on scoring per Andy's rules:
    Correct attribution equals +1
    Incorrect attribution equals -1

Clarifications:
    Submissions where the coin is already attributed in the description or on the holder are disqualified and receive a score of 0 for that attribution.

Example: astrorat submits 21 attributions. One has an attribution in the description, eighteen are correct, and two are incorrect.
    Score is calculated as 18 (correct) - 2 (incorrect) = 16.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monday Morning's Standings

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 97
    fengk = 11
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 93
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 188

Summary
    Total submitted = 455
    Correct = 429
    Incorrect = 27
    Disqualifed = 4 (attribution on holder or in description)

Clarifications:
    Submissions where the coin is already attributed in the description or on the holder are disqualified and receive a score of 0 for that attribution.

Example: astrorat submits 21 attributions. One has an attribution in the description, eighteen are correct, and two are incorrect.

Edited to change formatting.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Tomorrow morning I will have hit a new Milestone image

MrEureka, you underestimated the drive we CBH collectors have image
  • Options
    It's a trap. Hes buying all the vam cherries and making you do the work to find them!
  • Options

<< <i>It's a trap. Hes buying all the vam cherries and making you do the work to find them! >>

I found one Overton cherry, a coin with a Pop of 7!!!, and didn't PM Lane about it until after the auction was over.
    I'm such a good friend image

And P.S. I went after that coin, but was sniped at the last second by the only other bidder in the auction!
  • Options

<< <i>It's a trap. Hes buying all the vam cherries and making you do the work to find them! >>

Well...if I were trying to cherry all the VAMs, I am certainly going about it the wrong way! I probably should have volunteered to judge a VAM attribution contest rather than an Overton attribution contest. image

It's tough to cherry an CBH Overton variety on eBay as there are way too many eyes looking for R-5s and above.

So far, based on the contest entries, I have picked up four R-5s, two R-6s, one R-7, and one "unknown" variety. I'm just kidding, of course. image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Tuesday Morning's Standings

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 97
    fengk = 16
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 100
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 201

Summary
    Total submitted = 484
    Correct = 452
    Incorrect = 29

Clarifications:

Edited to change formatting.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Lane must still be counting all the attributions I sent him image
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lane must still be counting all the attributions I sent him image >>

I've been to busy posting to the Bust Quarter thread to send him anymore in the last few days...image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    I'm workin' on 'em, Winston!

Hey...I gotta a real job too, ya know!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a nice surprise! Somehow, I missed all the previous TTT's and thought the contest had died. I'd better start digging around for the prizes!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    We now have over 500 submissions!!!

Friday Morning's Standings

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 97
    fengk = 16
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 100
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 221

Summary
    Total submitted = 508
    Correct = 474
    Incorrect = 30

Clarifications:

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Sunday Morning's Standings

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 97
    fengk = 16
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 100
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 223

Summary
    Total submitted = 510
    Correct = 476
    Incorrect = 30

Clarifications:

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Sneak-Peek on Monday Morning's Standings

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 97
    fengk = 39
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 121
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 223

Summary
    Total submitted = 557
    Correct = 521
    Incorrect = 32

Clarifications:

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Getting close to the finish line. Now, where did I put that 1817/4?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Somehow I had completely missed this thread until today. I don't collect CBHs, wouldn't know Overton from Oglethorpe and couldn't attribute a blackhead on the end of my own nose but I have to say that this is an awesome contest. Mr. Lustig, my congratulations on your inventiveness and originality and my thanks to you from the board at large. This is high quality stuff right here.
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    Updated...
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Monday Morning Standings

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 131
    fengk = 96
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 134
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 223

Summary
    Total submitted = 671
    Correct = 627
    Incorrect = 34
    Disqualifed = 10 (attribution on holder or in description)

Clarifications:

Score is calculated as 18 (correct) - 2 (incorrect) = 16. >>

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Christmas Morning Standings

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 131
    fengk = 96
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 154
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 223

Summary
    Total submitted = 691
    Correct = 647
    Incorrect = 34

Clarifications:

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    These numbers are pretty impressive! I'm curious to know how many coins had to be attributed by each of the leaders to find this many different varieties. Has anyone been keeping track of this?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Just heard from Lane, and there's a misunderstanding about the rules. Here's what I said in the OP:

"The contest: How many different UNATTRIBUTED Bust Half varieties can you find..."

Apparently, some people, Lane included, thought that meant that duplicate finds of the same variety should be counted, when they shouldn't have been.

To settle the matter, Lane is going to recalculate the results. I'll still provide three prizes, even if three people don't hit 100. But the spirit of the contest was supposed to be that of building virtual collections and hunting for varieties that you "need", and I want the prizes awarded by those rules. Especially because I plan to do the same thing again next year, and we should be consistent with the rules.

BTW, since the counts are about to come way down, fighting your way into the top three just became a lot easier. So get to work, slackers! image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Okay ... it will take me some recalculating, but I'll get the updated standings posted soon.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Updated Standings

The updated standings reflect Andy's clarifications on his intent with the competition.

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 69
    fengk = 91
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 118
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 223

Summary
    Total submitted = 691
    Correct = 538
    Incorrect = 28
    Duplicate Varieties = 115*

*Note: Duplicate submissions were omitted it the scoring since a contestant would have not submitted a duplicate variety knowing it would not be counted.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    December 28 Standings

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 86
    fengk = 101
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 118
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 223

Summary
    Total submitted = 751
    Correct = 568
    Incorrect = 31
    Duplicate Varieties = 140*
    Disqualifed = 12 (attribution on holder or in description)

*Note: Duplicate submissions were omitted it the scoring since a contestant would have not submitted a duplicate variety knowing it would not be counted.

Edited for fomatting.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Just a few hours left ... image

Edited to add ... Just to clarify, no submissions will be accepted after midnight tonight, according to the official Collectors Universe time stamp.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

<< <i>Just a few hours left ... image

Edited to add ... Just to clarify, no submissions will be accepted after midnight tonight, according to the official Collectors Universe time stamp.

Lane >>

Which Time Zone was that 'Midnight' referring to? image
  • Options
    Good question, Winston. I thought the Board time was fixed to a particular time zone. Which one I don't know.

But it is past midnight in the Rocky Mountains...

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    ***January 1 FINAL Standings***

*First Place* is Stone with a score of 223

*Second Place* is Quarternut with a score of 118

*Third Place* is fengk with a score of 101

Honorable Mention
    Billet7 with a score of 86
    Barndog with a score of 8
    fishteeth with a score of 1
    SilverEagles92 with a score of 0

Submission Summary
    Total submitted = 751
    Correct = 568
    Incorrect = 31
    Duplicate Varieties = 140
    Disqualifed = 12 (attribution on holder or in description)

Well done, everyone!

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Astrorat, how many R4s and above? Any cherries off the bay as a result? Gotta be a Paul Harvey to this....

Congrats to Stone and the rest of the competition. That early lead proved insurmountable.

I find attributing from images generally to be too much of a challenge.
  • Options

<< <i>Astrorat, how many R4s and above? Any cherries off the bay as a result? Gotta be a Paul Harvey to this....

Congrats to Stone and the rest of the competition. That early lead proved insurmountable.

I find attributing from images generally to be too much of a challenge. >>

Thanks Jay for the regards, as well Lane for making this competition happen!
    My goal was to get a large, early lead and try to overwhelm the competition.
    I honestly didn't think I had the time to attribute so many coins, especially when this competition started right before college finals!
    BUT, it turned out that I had much more free-time to attribute than I first realized, and I took to attributing small groups of coins at a time
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it was difficult for me to attribute those 8 coins correctly...must have taken an hour at least. Nowhere near as easy as the half dimes. Congrats, STONE!
  • Options
    Here is some more data from all the submissions.

Total number of correct submissions - 568

Total number of unique eBay listings - 487

Total number of unique Overton die marriages - 303
    Draped Bust halves - 38
    Capped Bust halves - 265 (well over HALF a full CBH Overton die marriage set!)

Draped Bust Half Rarities - 3 listings for R5 and above
    1794 O-105 R5 in NGC-20 did not sell for opening bid of $15,000
    1795 O-101 R7 was a cleaned VG-10? that sold for $2,356 (YIKES! It was the 8th known specimen and a NEW discovery by Stone! What a FIND!)
    1806 O-125a R5 in VF-10 that did not sell for a BIN of $726

Capped Bust Half Rarities - 3 listings for R4+ (none higher than R4+)
    1814 O-106 R4+ in EF-40 sold for $180 (Nice)
    1822 O-102 in EF-40 not sold with a BIN of $1,000 (no surprise)
    1829 O-118 in VF-20 sold for $69 (WOW!!)
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

<< <i>1795 O-101 R7 was a cleaned VG-10? that sold for $2,356 (YIKES! It was the 8th known specimen and a NEW discovery by Stone! What a FIND!) >>

Yeh, that was a neat one to find. I can't tell you how many times I had to reassure myself that it really was a 101, and as rare as it was; I may have checked it 30 times! Needless to say I waited until the auction was over and when I could bid and attempt to win the coin (I unfortunately didn't win image ), before I sent the attribution to Lane. This coin alone made this competition so much more exciting! I'm just really surprised this coin didn't go for more $$$, or wasn't noticed by more than myself and the winning bidder. The coin is probably worth $10,000 +/- $2,000 due to the cleaning! (The Top Pop for this variety is a lone EF-45, and is currently listed for sale at $100,000!!!!!)
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    That's the Paul Harvey I was looking for! Too bad Stone's bid did not win her. That rip could fund quite a few holes in Stone's collection!
  • Options

<< <i>That's the Paul Harvey I was looking for! Too bad Stone's bid did not win her. That rip could fund quite a few holes in Stone's collection! >>

More to the point of paying off my undergrad expenses, or further graduate school costs...
  • Options
    Lowest Score image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    PRIZES!!!!!!!

Ok WINNERS, I've got the prizes.
    I've made my selection, and will be mailing the 2 runner ups once 2nd place let's me know which one he wants.

Not the best pics, but I don't care, they're decent image

TAKEN (by me)
    imageimage

Still Available
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Nice coin, Stone.

Hey Andy...you picked some nice prizes!

Congrats again to the winners!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Stone,

I sure wish I would have understood the rules correctly, perhaps I could have given you more run for your money!

As to the prizes, looks like you picked the most interesting one for sure! And congratulations on your win! image

It is a hard choice to make between the two remaining coins, however I guess I will take the 1829.

Thanks again Andy for putting up the prizes! image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    STONE - Nice pick! Think it will slab?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    I wasn't around here then, but what great things to do, especially on behalf of the originator and judge. Some really great things came of it as well , not to mention the added experience that everyone gained.

KUDOS to all !!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file