Home U.S. Coin Forum

BUST HALVES: The competition has BEGUN!

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
First, the prizes: The winner gets a Bust Half Dollar of my choice, selected from my inventory. If 2nd and 3rd place scores are over 100, they'll also get Bust Halves. (The winner will get the best of the three coins, and so on.)

Next, the catch: I need a Bust Half expert to volunteer to judge the contest. As you read below, you'll see what's involved. It could be a ton of work, but it will be fun.

The contest: How many different UNATTRIBUTED Bust Half varieties can you find on eBay between now and the end of the year? (Current and completed sales are both acceptable.) No more than once a day, PM a list of links to the auctions and your attributions to the judge. The judge will check your attributions and compile a list of the varieties you have found. You gain a point for a correct attribution and lose a point for an incorrect attribution. Every day, or every few days, the judge will post the standings, showing how many points each contestant has accumulated. The competition will end at midnight, Dec 31.

Now, do we have a Bust Half expert who's willing to be the judge?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat contest. The judge should get first prize, the winner should get second prize. That judge better not have a full time job image
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That judge better not have a full time job

It shouldn't be too bad. It's far easier and less time-consuming to verify attributions than it would be to attribute them yourself.
    Andy Lustig

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    That's quite a bit of work, but sounds like fun image
  • fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun, but if I spend that much time with my Overton and Ebay my wife will kill me
    maybe a shorter time frame
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun and a ton of work but I have one question.

What about all the unattributed bust halves on ebay with HORRIBLE pics that you can't tell what the overton # is?

What about all the unattributed bust halves on ebay with HORRIBLE pics that you can't tell what the overton # is?

If the judge can't attribute the coin, it won't count towards the point score.
    Andy Lustig

Good news! Astrorat has agreed to be the judge. The competition is on as of right now!
    Andy Lustig

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay...so here we go. Dang I hope I don't regret this! image

Read the first post on the rules for Andy's contest.

PM the links to me for the for coin you attribute and want to have verified for the contest.

I will use the Overton and Peterson reference books to verify the attributions. If you have a "tough" attribution, I encourage you to provide a"hint" to help the process.

I will verify your attribution as correct or incorrect, and not attribute the coin otherwise.

I will keep a spreadsheet with your name and correct attributions and then post the results every few days as stated.

Oh yeah...I take bribes. image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
    ttt for Andy.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
    Any takers? Geez...all you need right now is 1 correct and you are in the lead!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • I'd love to participate, but my Overton book won't be coming in the mail until next week!
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

• << <i>neat contest. The judge should get first prize, the winner should get second prize. That judge better not have a full time job image >>

lol thats too funny! I want to play.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭
    Do you think we can get a more thorough description of the prize? A half dollar from your collection could mean anything image
    Do you think we can get a more thorough description of the prize? A half dollar from your collection could mean anything

All I'll say now is that it will be at least a Fine common date Bust Half Dollar. But if the winner comes up with 500 different, you can bet that I'll find him a better coin, even if I have to go out and buy it.

BTW, Lane hasn't received any auction links yet. If somebody doesn't hit 25 varieties by the end of the month - which should be easy - I'll assume nobody really cares and I'll cancel it.
    Andy Lustig

• jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Am on vacation and didn't bring my books! I suppose I could go out to Coin Zip for help....can't believe none have joined the hunt.
    Come on, wimps! I dare you to challenge me...you flacid, modern-loving wannabes. image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, Lane hasn't received any auction links yet. If somebody doesn't hit 25 varieties by the end of the month - which should be easy - I'll assume nobody really cares and I'll cancel it. >>

Andy, this is a great contest! I just don't have time to do it right now. However, if NO ONE else has entered by the
    end of the month, I may change my mind! image
    Well, I sent Lane 8 to start.
    That should fuel the fire for someone to top me and add some competition image
  • QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Stone, I am way a head of you!

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I don't have any attribution guides, can I go for the lowest score and use a random number generator, along with a link to every bust half on eBay? image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool contest! This should be fun!

<< <i>Sorry Stone, I am way a head of you!

QN >>

Well then, let the games begin image

<< <i>Since I don't have any attribution guides, can I go for the lowest score and use a random number generator, along with a link to every bust half on eBay? image >>

If you make me do too much meaningless work I'll fly to Seattle and beat you senseless. image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    Remember Andy's rules...only ONE (1) PM per day with attributions...

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire

<< <i>Remember Andy's rules...only ONE (1) PM per day with attributions...

Lane >>

Oops, missed that part. Sorry bout that Lane image
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Remember Andy's rules...only ONE (1) PM per day with attributions...

Lane >>

Oops, missed that part. Sorry bout that Lane image >>

no soup for you!
    Since I don't have any attribution guides, can I go for the lowest score and use a random number generator...

Jeremy - Do you really think you would do that much better if you had a copy of Overton?
    Andy Lustig

<< <i> Since I don't have any attribution guides, can I go for the lowest score and use a random number generator...

Jeremy - Do you really think you would do that much better if you had a copy of Overton?
    image >>

Ouch! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    Here are the current standings as of this posting:

Barndog = 6
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 16
    Stone = 51

astrorat = 1,278 (okay, just kidding on this one!)

Notes on scoring per Andy's rules:
    Correct attribution equals +1
    Incorrect attribution equals -1

Clarifications:
    Submission where the coin is already attributed equals 0
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    Current standings...as of this posting:

Barndog = 8
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 32
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 75

Clarifications:
    Submissions where the coin is already attributed in the description or on the holder are disqualified and receive a score of 0 for that attribution.

Example: astrorat submits 21 attributions. One has an attribution in the description, eighteen are correct, and two are incorrect.
    Score is calculated as 18 (correct) - 2 (incorrect) = 16.

Lane

Numismatist Ordinaire

• << <i>Current standings...as of this posting:
    SilverEagles92 = 0 >>

At least I'm trying...
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

<< <i>

<< <i>Current standings...as of this posting:
    SilverEagles92 = 0 >>

At least I'm trying... >>

Yep...some of these are not easy. Keep trying, Chad! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    Frankly I haven't had the time to do more in the last day or two. I hope to get back to it though, just to keep Stone busy if nothing else! image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

<< <i>Frankly I haven't had the time to do more in the last day or two. I hope to get back to it though, just to keep Stone busy if nothing else! image

QN >>

Arrrrgggg...you guys are killing me! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    We'll see how many more attributions I have time for.
    Mostly now it's just intermissions from studying for finals and working on papers.

I have an early lead for a marathon, I don't know if I can hold off the pack for the duration!

<< <i>We'll see how many more attributions I have time for.
    Mostly now it's just intermissions from studying for finals and working on papers.

I have an early lead for a marathon, I don't know if I can hold off the pack for the duration! >>

School is more important, young man! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    My problem is every time I go to ebay to start attributing I end up bidding.

<< <i>My problem is every time I go to ebay to start attributing I end up bidding. >>

image Yeah...I get links to all these great coins...it's taking a lot of restraint not to bid!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    Please...

When sending a PM with the auction, please include a link and not just the eBay number with the attribution.

For example, please send in the format below:

1826 O-108

That way the link is embedded, the date and attribution are obvious, and I can "cut and paste" easily. And when my job is easy...your attributions seem more accurate! image

BTW...I have no idea if that coin is indeed an O-109...it's just an example! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    Thanksgiving Day Standings

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 34
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 32
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 126

Summary
    Total submitted = 235
    Correct = 218
    Incorrect = 15
    Disqualifed = 2 (attribution on holder or in description)

Clarifications:
    Submissions where the coin is already attributed in the description or on the holder are disqualified and receive a score of 0 for that attribution.

Example: astrorat submits 21 attributions. One has an attribution in the description, eighteen are correct, and two are incorrect.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    Today's Standings

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 51
    fishteeth = 1
    fengk = 11
    Quarternut = 59
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 150

Summary
    Total submitted = 324
    Correct = 302
    Incorrect = 22

Clarifications:

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I lived alone with Aki, it would be fun, but my wife and MIL are taking up alot of my time. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975

<< <i>If I lived alone with Aki, it would be fun, but my wife and MILF are taking up alot of my time. image >>

Today's Standings

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 69
    fengk = 11
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 59
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 150

Summary
    Total submitted = 346
    Correct = 321
    Incorrect = 23

Clarifications:

Numismatist Ordinaire
    Nice job Billet and QuarterNut, and everyone else keep it up. image
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice job Billet and QuarterNut, and everyone else keep it up. image >>

I think I'm being patronized...Steve...do you feel like you are being patronized? image
    I only wish I could have had more time to attribute some more examples this weekend...

I will put some effort into it while I watch Monday Night Football tonight. Can't let Stone get too far ahead...

QN

At least I'm on the board.

I guess I could surf ebay and let my patients wait, we have good magazines.
    Oh yeah...time for some trash talk. image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    Today's Standings

Members
    Barndog = 8
    Billet7 = 81
    fengk = 11
    fishteeth = 1
    Quarternut = 75
    SilverEagles92 = 0
    Stone = 175

Summary
    Total submitted = 403
    Correct = 377
    Incorrect = 26

Clarifications:

Numismatist Ordinaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file