Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sound Off: Top 25 Football RC's of my lifetime

Depending on where my current collection efforts are... I'm hoping to start a new venture as my 2010 New Years resolution... collect the top 25 football rookie cards in PSA 10 quality from my lifetime!

Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately), I wasn't born until 1977 so the Walter Payton is off the table.

Here is the list I've compiled, and I'd definitely appreciate some feedback. With the pre-1980 cards, I put an emphasis on HOF RC's. They might not all have the value of some of today's modern cards, but I'd prefer to have some of them then, let's say, a high dollar Eli Manning or Matt Ryan rookie card. Then again, 5-10 years from now maybe I'll change the set to the top 50. Got any suggestions?

1977 TOPPS 177 STEVE LARGENT
1978 TOPPS 315 TONY DORSETT
1979 TOPPS 310 JAMES LOFTON
1979 TOPPS 390 EARL CAMPBELL
1981 TOPPS 216 JOE MONTANA
1982 TOPPS 434 LAWRENCE TAYLOR
1982 TOPPS 486 RONNIE LOTT
1983 TOPPS 38 MIKE SINGLETARY
1983 TOPPS 294 MARCUS ALLEN
1984 TOPPS 63 JOHN ELWAY
1984 TOPPS 123 DAN MARINO
1984 TOPPS 280 ERIC DICKERSON
1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON
1986 TOPPS 161 JERRY RICE
1986 TOPPS 275 REGGIE WHITE
1986 TOPPS 374 STEVE YOUNG
1987 TOPPS 362 JIM KELLY
1989 SCORE 257 BARRY SANDERS
1989 SCORE 270 TROY AIKMAN
1991 STADIUM CLUB 94 BRETT FAVRE
1998 PLAYOFF CONTENDERS 87 PEYTON MANNING AUTOGRAPH
1998 PLAYOFF CONTENDERS 92 RANDY MOSS AUTOGRAPH
2000 PLAYOFF CONTENDERS 144 TOM BRADY AUTOGRAPH
2001 PLAYOFF CONTENDERS 150 LADAINIAN TOMLINSON AUTOGRAPH
2004 SP AUTHENTIC 213 BEN ROETHLISBERGER AUTOGRAPH

Cheers,

-E

Comments

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I would take out Lofton and Dickerson.

I'd add 1990 Score Supp. Emmitt and 1996 Bowman's Best Ray Lewis. Essentially you're trading a very good WR and great RB for a top 5 All-time RB and top 3 All-time LB.

I'd also exchange Kelly, White and Young for their USFL cards, but I can see that being a personal preference.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, definitely prefer their NFL rookies over the USFL cards.

I can't believe I forgot the Emmitt... that will definitely be finding it's place in the list somehow!

As another personal preference (diehard Packers fan), I can't pull the Lofton from the list image

Thanks for the feedback
  • Options
    OK, pull Favre off then.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I know there are a lot of people that would disagree with me, but I don't see Earl Campbell being ahead of Eric Dickerson on that list. I'd keep Dickerson. Both of them had spectacular early career success. Both led the league in rushing multiple times. Eric had as many 1000 yard seasons as Earl had seasons. Neither one of them ever played in a Super Bowl, but Dickerson at least had the one huge game in the playoffs against the Cowboys. He also still holds a number of records.

Also, I don't know who else I'd bump off of that list (Randy Moss?), but Deion Sanders has to be amongst the best 25 players of the past 30+ years.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>
    1984 TOPPS 63 JOHN ELWAY
    1987 TOPPS 362 JIM KELLY

Cheers,

-E >>

Any list that has Largent at the top of it, Im all for image

Agree with Charles David, the 84 USFL rc for Young and Kelly is more popular, and the SP is the rookie for Peyton, Moss and Tom. You should really check the HOF RC and the future HOF RC set to get the "official" cards, but on the other hand, collect what you like
  • Options
    I know there are a lot of people that would disagree with me, but I don't see Earl Campbell being ahead of Eric Dickerson on that list. I'd keep Dickerson. Both of them had spectacular early career success. Both led the league in rushing multiple times. Eric had as many 1000 yard seasons as Earl had seasons. Neither one of them ever played in a Super Bowl, but Dickerson at least had the one huge game in the playoffs against the Cowboys. He also still holds a number of records. Also, I don't know who else I'd bump off of that list (Randy Moss?), but Deion Sanders has to be amongst the best 25 players of the past 30+ years.

I agree in terms of the quality players that Dickerson and Campbell were, but the card itself needs to be taken into account. There are probably 100 times as many Dickerson's out there as there are Campbell's, and they have become kind of an afterthought of the 84 Topps set. Campbell remains the top card in the 79 set. I agree with Deion but who's coming off the list? Also, Simms should be considered, especially if you're going to throw Kelly in there. Too many tough decisions.

You know what, we're going to make this the top 50 RCs. Sorry E, it's been decided.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I would bump big Ben off the list. Emmitt is a no brainer on the list too.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    No Bo Jackson? Emmitt is a must. Kepp Moss over deion, but I would drop Lofton for Moss.

Other notables that would have trouble bumping anyone, but probably deserve the most consideration.
    80 Phil Simms
    84 Howie Long
    86 Bruce Smith
    87 Flutie
    88 Bo Jackson
    89 Deion
    90 Seau
    93 SP Bledsoe
    93 SP Bettis
    94 SP Faulk
    95 Select Certified Terrell Davis & Curtis Martin
    96 Best Ray Lewis
    96 SP T.O.
    96 Chrome Marvin Harrison
    99 Contenders McNabb, Edge James, Kurt Warner
    01 SP Authentic Vick (It was probably the greatest modern football card for several years)
    07 Peterson SP Authentic Rookie Auto
  • Options
    Not to be a downer and bring up a sore subject but have you calculated how much it might cost to obtain all of these in a PSA 10.? Obviously if $ is no issue then I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor. There are a few cards that are going to be a killer in a 10. I think the Moon alone is around $500 (PSA 9 $20). There is also a Montana listed on eBay right now for 5k in a 10. All I am saying is a nice looking PSA 9 collection is a fraction of the cost of PSA 10 and will have visually the same eye appeal for the most part.

I am just saying that for the price of psa 10's you could probably get nice looking PSA 9 RC's in Football, Baseball, basketball, and hockey from the last 30 years and still have cash left over.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to those already listed by others, I'd add the 1981 Kellen Winslow (he was a member of the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team).

Steve
  • Options
    I would take the 1985 Topps Warren Moon out and replace it with the 1983 Jogo CFL rookie card. I know limited production etc. Still tougher to find.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Allen mentioned above, and I concur.
    94 SP Faulk

People seem to have forgotten just how good he was.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you need to go 1984 USFL on Kelly, Young, and White.

I would shoot for 9s on the 70s guys for sure and the 84 USFL.

a 1978 Topps Dorsett is about a $150-200 card in a 9 where as a 10 will cost about the same as a very nice vehicle.

I would leave Dickerson on the list, while he is not highly collected he was the best running back of the 80s. He has the rookie rushing record and the single season rushing record. I would not include Big Ben on the list either or probably even Warren Moon, but I would add the 94 SP Faulk, and the 96 Bowman's Best Ray Lewis for sure.

edit to add, the card to own of Manning is the 1998 Sp Authentic in my opinion, and the same goes for Tom Brady, and Moss.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    I like the list except for Rothliswhatever. A agree with some of the others though regarding 9 versus a 10. PSA 10's of all of those could cost you the same as a small house. The difference between 9's and 10's on just the first 5 you could buy a car with the extra change.
  • Options
    What about the 1993 SP Jerome Bettis?
    Mike
  • Options
    Nice list Eric... personally I could do without Randy Moss on my list! I like idea of adding Bo Jackson.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I think you should consider the following:

86 Topps Bruce Smith-He has the most sacks in history of NFL.
    93 SP Jerome Bettis/95 Select Curtis Martin-4th and 5th leading rushers in NFL history.
    96 BB Ray Lewis

I would remove Big Ben, Lofton, Dickerson and Tomlinson for the four above.

• Options
    Not sure if I understand what you are after. Are you trying to get the top 25 in price or the top 25 in greatness?

If it si greatness I have to say that no one seems to give Offensive Linemen any love. There are two of the greatest ever in that era:

Mike Webster, some consider him the greatest Center to ever play the game.

Anthony Munoz, one of the top offensive tackles of all time
  • Options
    Definitely looking more so at the side of greatness, not price. If I did price, the modern would dominate much more of this list!

I gave Webster some serious consideration when putting together my list... and it's not to say he might not make the final cut.

Thankfully, I've got 3+ months to finalize this list.

Really enjoying the input so far from everyone... good stuff!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Depending on where my current collection efforts are... I'm hoping to start a new venture as my 2010 New Years resolution... collect the top 25 football rookie cards in PSA 10 quality from my lifetime!

Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately), I wasn't born until 1977 so the Walter Payton is off the table.

Here is the list I've compiled, and I'd definitely appreciate some feedback. With the pre-1980 cards, I put an emphasis on HOF RC's. They might not all have the value of some of today's modern cards, but I'd prefer to have some of them then, let's say, a high dollar Eli Manning or Matt Ryan rookie card. Then again, 5-10 years from now maybe I'll change the set to the top 50. Got any suggestions?

1984 TOPPS 63 JOHN ELWAY
    1987 TOPPS 362 JIM KELLY

Cheers,

-E >>

I look at your list and you want the top 25. Do you want more than 4 Defensive players? You do not have one Offensive lineman in the group? You do not have any TE's either.

TE to consider - Kellen Winslow 1981 Topps. Tony Gonzalez 1997 SP
    OL to consider - Anthony Munuz 1982 Topps, Bruce Matthews 1989 Score, MIke Webster 1977 Topps
    DL to consider - Bruce Smith 1986 Topps

big Ben has go to go.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    I think this would be easier if you bumped it to 50. Narrowing down the group to 25 is just plain rough.
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    There were a few years that the 1995 Select Certified Terrell Davis rookie was on top of every list...might also be one to consider as he did fantastic for 5 years of so before the injury.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about 1989 Score Rod Woodson?

Member of the Hall of Fame and the NFL's 75th anniversary all-time team, 3rd all-time on the interception list. Holds the NFL all-time record for pick-6's (12)

Give Woodson some love.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Isn't the Largent a super low pop 10? I know 9's sell for huge money. The contenders Manning in a 10 will cost many thousands, an 8 will cost at least $1,800. The Moss will also be over a grand in a 10.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would take out Lofton and Dickerson.

I'd add 1990 Score Supp. Emmitt and 1996 Bowman's Best Ray Lewis. Essentially you're trading a very good WR and great RB for a top 5 All-time RB and top 3 All-time LB.

I'd also exchange Kelly, White and Young for their USFL cards, but I can see that being a personal preference. >>

Lee, Ray Lewis wouldn't crack a Top 3 of Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus, or Lawrence Taylor.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'd also exchange Kelly, White and Young for their USFL cards, but I can see that being a personal preference. >>

Lee, Ray Lewis wouldn't crack a Top 3 of Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus, or Lawrence Taylor. >>

Butkus can't be in this list, his card is before 1976
  • Options
    Why is everyone in a rush to remove Big Ben? He's been the QB of a team that's won two Super Bowls in the last four years. I guess it's a stat-driven debate again?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lee, Ray Lewis wouldn't crack a Top 3 of Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus, or Lawrence Taylor. >>

Butkus can't be in this list, his card is before 1976 >>

Lee just mentioned All-Time, that's why I jumped in with that comment.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I think Ray Lewis rates very favorably to Jack Lambert. Lambert was great, but no better than Lewis. LT was, of course, quite simply in a class of his own. Butkus is right below him. But third best? Close call.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Lee, Ray Lewis wouldn't crack a Top 3 of Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus, or Lawrence Taylor.

Obviously debatable. Each of these guys were pioneers at their position and the top guy of their era, just like Lewis is for the current era. Just think about how good the Ravens defense has been the past 10 years, how many guys (players and coaches) have come and gone, and what happens to Ravens defenders when they leave for free agency. There has been one constant, and he not only handles his position better than anybody else, but he brings the best out of his teammates and they turn to crap when they go to another team. I would put Lewis behind LT and maybe Butkus, but definitely not Lambert. After a couple more years of great production, Lewis will be right up there with LT.
  • Options

<< <i>Lee, Ray Lewis wouldn't crack a Top 3 of Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus, or Lawrence Taylor.

Obviously debatable. Each of these guys were pioneers at their position and the top guy of their era, just like Lewis is for the current era. Just think about how good the Ravens defense has been the past 10 years, how many guys (players and coaches) have come and gone, and what happens to Ravens defenders when they leave for free agency. There has been one constant, and he not only handles his position better than anybody else, but he brings the best out of his teammates and they turn to crap when they go to another team. I would put Lewis behind LT and maybe Butkus, but definitely not Lambert. After a couple more years of great production, Lewis will be right up there with LT. >>

Of course my view of Lambert is tainted...image

Fair enough debate, though.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I look at your list and you want the top 25. Do you want more than 4 Defensive players? You do not have one Offensive lineman in the group? You do not have any TE's either.

TE to consider - Kellen Winslow 1981 Topps. Tony Gonzalez 1997 SP
    OL to consider - Anthony Munuz 1982 Topps, Bruce Matthews 1989 Score, MIke Webster 1977 Topps
    DL to consider - Bruce Smith 1986 Topps

big Ben has go to go. >>

Maybe I'm reading the title of the thread wrong, but it seems to me he's looking for the top 25 rookie cards of his era, not the 25 greatest players.

And let's face it, defensive linemen, tight ends, and offensive linemen hardly generate the collectability or have rookie cards as desireable as QBs, RBs, and WRs.

shawn
  • Options
    Of course my view of Lambert is tainted...

Mine too. Also, if you beat us again 3 times this year I will stop watching football forever.
  • Options
    Don't be suckered by PSA 10 "Labels" Its really just a fake grade to create a false sense of rarity.
    All are nothing more than nice 9's hiding under a 10 "Label"

I would drop Big Ben, Tomlinson, Moon, Lofton and Definately Moss

Offensive Line? BORING! Forget them

I would Add

1978 John Stallworth ( No Brainer! Dump moss he's not even in the same league)
    1979 Ozzie Newsome / 1981 Kellen Winslow ( Much more historically signifigant players than Lofton.)
    1980 Phil Sims ( I love warren Moon, but Simms trumps him)
    1981 Dan Hampton (The heart and Soul of the Greatest defense ever to be fielded.)
    1989 Deion Sanders (Im not a Fan, but he was the Greatest coverman in the league for over a decade)

Others for Thought:

1981 Art Monk
    1984 Roger Craig
    1985 Richard Dent
    1986 Bruce Smith
    1988 Bo Jackson
    1989 Michael Irvin
    1989 Thurman Thomas
    1993 Jerome Bettis
  • Options

<< <i>1980 Phil Sims ( I love warren Moon, but Simms trumps him) >>

I ran this thought through my mind several times when putting together my initial list, and it came down to 2 things:

1) Given the condition sensitive nature of the set, I wanted something in there from 1985... and Moon is the top RC in the set
    2) Warren rocks the gold jacket, Phil does not (even though i wouldn't disagree that Simms trumps Moon)
  • Options
    Roger Craig and Richard Dent? Seriously?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone!

I've settled in on my initial list of the Top 25 to start pursuing in 2010. I also decided to cut the list off at 2000. I'll come back in re-evaluate the list in 2015 and add in 5-10 cards from 2001-2010 (and perhaps earlier), with the end goal to have this be the Top 50... when I'm 50 in 2027 image

Here is the final list:

1984 TOPPS 63 JOHN ELWAY
    1987 TOPPS 362 JIM KELLY
    1989 SCORE 246 DEION SANDERS
    1990 SCORE SUPPLEMENTAL 101T EMMITT SMITH
    1996 BOWMAN'S BEST 164 RAY LEWIS
    1998 SP AUTHENTIC 14 PEYTON MANNING
    2000 SP AUTHENTIC 118 TOM BRADY

Cheers image
  • Options
    I think that is a good move replacing the SP Authentic for the Playoff Contenders '98 Manning. That will save you some serious coin and some do not consider the Contenders a RC. I pulled a SP Authentic Manning RC in '98 and it came back a 9. Maybe I should try for the bump...
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both Simms and Moon should be removed.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Solid list - obviously it becomes debatable on some of these guys (I would put Moss or even Cris Carter in over Lofton, Largent, Simms or Jim Kelly even)...same with Bruce Smith.
    I like this idea - think it would be fun to make your own 'all pro' team and do the same...get in some Olineman, Dt's, etc.

Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    Your list is incomplete without 2 of the top 5 RBs, Curtis Martin and the Bus
    Its bad enough you made a rule change to get rid of Big Ben, but how can you possible have ZERO Steelers on this list? 6 Super Bowls, can any other team say that?
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your list is incomplete without 2 of the top 5 RBs, Curtis Martin and the Bus
    Its bad enough you made a rule change to get rid of Big Ben, but how can you possible have ZERO Steelers on this list? 6 Super Bowls, can any other team say that? >>

He's talking about cards, not the best players or best teams. Bettis and Roethlisberger rookies are not in the top 25 cards since 1977.
  • Options
    D. Dawson
    Rod Woodson
    Hell, Hines should be on the list, the greatest "team first" WR in the modern era. How many other WRs had a rule to create them from playing their hardest? Not moss, he confessed to taking plays off.
  • Options
    Not to mention Hines ownes mostly every major receiving record in the teamst history. Passing the likes of Swann, Stallworth, Lipps, etc.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Why are you not getting that those cards are simply not as desirable as the ones he has listed? You would rather have a Rod Woodson RC than a Jerry Rice RC? If so, that's cool. I'm happy with an even up trade if you want to do it. Heck, I'd give you 4 Woodson rookies for one Ray Lewis 96 Bowman's Best. We're talking about card desirability here, not sucess on the field.
  • Options
    I have to seriously disagree with Deon Sanders being on the list.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Looks good.

Now take off Lofton and put Moss back on where he belongs, and it'll be perfect.
  • Options
    I get it now, he is included overhyped cards he wants in his collection.

Is that the story?

• Options
    If price is the only factor, upgrade the base Martin and Bettis RCs to the Mirror Gold versions.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Nice list. I would have found a way to keep Moss, and I can't believe there isn't more love for Marshall Faulk. Good luck on your project.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10