Home U.S. Coin Forum

Selling coins from grandfathers collection on Ebay...

Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
Auction

I purchased this coin from a board memeber here and later sold it to the current seller on ebay in the holder its currently in. He's now selling it as part of his grandfathers collectionimage

Getting a better price though as I sold it to him for $600.

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    plenty of other threads about that character!
  • Does that make you related now? Maybe he will cut you in on the profits.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did you ever submit that coin to a TPG?
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Auction

I purchased this coin from a board memeber here and later sold it to the current seller on ebay in the holder its currently in. He's now selling it as part of his grandfathers collectionimage

Getting a better price though as I sold it to him for $600. >>

You should send him note reading something like this: "Hello Grandson, I really wish you wouldn't be selling my collection in this manner" image
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • http://cgi.ebay.com/1908-NGC-SP62-SPECIMEN-FIVE-CENT-SILVER-COIN-RAINBOW_W0QQitemZ280420944561QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414a640ab1

His grandaddy must of just died - I believe this is a new NGC holder??

smoeone should aks how old his granpaw was.....

• << <i>Auction

Getting a better price though as I sold it to him for $600. >>

Is he your kids kid? that you did not know about yet?
  • Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I should message him to let him know his grandfather is still alive and I want my coin back?image

The seller I bought it from here told me it was in an NGC AU58 holder before he cracked it.
  • I don't think grandpa has died yet

he just keeps buying more coins and willing them to his grandkid who keeps selling them
    sending the money back to grandpa

who keeps buying more for his collection

and the cycle continues, forever
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    This guy has been selling his grandpa's collection for like 3 YEARS NOW!!!! What a joke.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you're his long-lost grandfather, who knows? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Lord M !!!!!! Hey everybody, look what the cat drug in! image
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Did you contact the seller?
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many, many years ago when I was just twenty-three,

I was married to a widow, she was pretty as could be.

This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red

And my father fell in Love with her. Soon they too were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law--changed my very life!

My daughter was my mother because she was my father's wife!

To complicate the matter even though it brought me joy,

I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby he then became a brother-in-law to Dad.

Well, that made him my uncle--made me very sad!

Because if he was my uncle then he also was a brother

To the widow's grown-up daughter, who, of course, was my stepmother.

CHORUS

My father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run.

And, of course, he became my grandchild because he was my daughter's son.

My wife is now my mother's mother and this makes me blue

Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too!

CHORUS

Now if my wife is my grandmother, well, then I am her grandchild,

And every time that I think about this, it nearly drives me wild!

Because now I have become the strangest case that you ever saw

As husband of my grandmother, I�m� my own grandpa!

CHORUS:

I'm my own grandpa! I'm my own grandpa!

It sounds funny, I know, but it really is so!

Oh, I'm my own grandpa!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This guy has been selling his grandpa's collection for like 3 YEARS NOW!!!! What a joke. >>

There have been multiple threads about this guy...

Personally, as far as eBay goes:

"grandpa's coin collection" = no bid from cmerlo1
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • There are so many gimmicks used on ebay it turns me off immediately and I go somewhere else!
    Estate auction, grandpa's collection, never searched, garage sale find, etc., etc., etc.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • I don't get it??? Which one is right???? This thread or this one.....

MTC3015

Will the REAL mtc3015 please stand up.image

I bought a couple of granddad's coins; they were not that grand. Cleaned or altered surfaces; of course this was before I understood what those terms ment. I understand now, and I paid mtc3015 my tuition.

My favorite part of his listings "I am no expert and make no claims or guarantees of any kind as to the grade, look at the supersize pics for yourself and you be the judge. I fully guarantee that the coin is genuine and completely back 100% its authenticity." It's genuine alright; genuine 92, genuine 94, etc ...
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I found my long lost grandson on ebay"
    LCoopie = Les
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What ID did "MTC" use to buy the half dime?
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the coin back so you can leave him a nice NEG for his feedback
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do these scams still shock people? It has been going on for years. Cheers, RickO
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy the coin back so you can leave him a nice NEG for his feedback >>

Just out of meanness? --Jerry

• << <i>

Just out of meanness? --Jerry >>

I was kind of wondering that myself. Who cares what the story is- you're buying a coin, right? If you like the coin for the price you paid, who cares where it came from.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Just out of meanness? --Jerry >>

I was kind of wondering that myself. Who cares what the story is- you're buying a coin, right? If you like the coin for the price you paid, who cares where it came from. >>

This isn't about where it came from. No one really cares about that. They just care that the seller lies about the origin. Why do we care about that? I'm not sure. It tics me off though.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"

• << <i>This isn't about where it came from. No one really cares about that. They just care that the seller lies about the origin. Why do we care about that? I'm not sure. It tics me off though. >>

So somebody should get a neg because something bugs you, but you don't know what it is?

To tie this into another current thread- buyers often make a "best offer" on one of my coins, which I counteroffer on, and they accept. Do they deserve a neg for lying (yes, I know thay can't get one- but do they deserve it?), because their offer wasn't *really* their best offer?
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

This seller does not like negs!

Out of all the crap, whoops I meant coins, he has auctioned off from his late grampa he has received but the one neg. despite what his auctions state, he does accept returns and I believe that many folks have in fact returned improperly described coins to him.

Make no mistake newbies, this fellow is out to sell coins with a 99% probability that they are NOT from his grampa's estate. He takes very good photographs of which some specifically hide known flaws or wear.

Just do a forum search on mtc3015 in Title or Body and you can read up on what he's actually selling.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>

<< <i>This isn't about where it came from. No one really cares about that. They just care that the seller lies about the origin. Why do we care about that? I'm not sure. It tics me off though. >>

So somebody should get a neg because something bugs you, but you don't know what it is?

To tie this into another current thread- buyers often make a "best offer" on one of my coins, which I counteroffer on, and they accept. Do they deserve a neg for lying (yes, I know thay can't get one- but do they deserve it?), because their offer wasn't *really* their best offer? >>

Sorry, I was not clear. I do not want to give him a neg - it would do nothing to address the fact that it "bugs" me. I'll deal with that on my own.

Again, I don't care where a legit coin came from but do seem to care about the honesty of the seller. But thats me.

• How about a change of subject on this one

Perhaps "Ebay fetches higher sales price than BST".

Nothing illegal about the Seller's Granpa excuse ......... sure is immoral in my mind though. I know it happens countless times, but it always has and always will bug me.

• << <i>Again, I don't care where a legit coin came from but do seem to care about the honesty of the seller. But thats me. >>

Fair enough. Personally, I'm not going to pay more for a coin that came "from grandpa's collection" than I would if it came from somebody on the BST board. I'm looking to buy coins, not stories, so if I like the coin and the price is right, I'm satisfied. If others expect more than that, that's their business.

• << <i>

<< <i>Again, I don't care where a legit coin came from but do seem to care about the honesty of the seller. But thats me. >>

Fair enough. Personally, I'm not going to pay more for a coin that came "from grandpa's collection" than I would if it came from somebody on the BST board. I'm looking to buy coins, not stories, so if I like the coin and the price is right, I'm satisfied. If others expect more than that, that's their business. >>

Well said.
  • I used to buy and sell records at garage sales and thrift stores plus other similar places.
    My last family doctor, knowing that, asked If I had one of "I'm my own grandpa".
    I did and before he retired, I gave it to him.
    He was ectstatic to get it. Don;'t know why.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This guy has been selling his grandpa's collection for like 3 YEARS NOW!!!! What a joke. >>

My favorite was the coins found inside a wall. Ran for about that long on eBay. image
  • <<This seller does not like negs!

Out of all the crap, whoops I meant coins, he has auctioned off from his late grampa he has received but the one neg. despite what his auctions state, he does accept returns and I believe that many folks have in fact returned improperly described coins to him.

Make no mistake newbies, this fellow is out to sell coins with a 99% probability that they are NOT from his grampa's estate. He takes very good photographs of which some specifically hide known flaws or wear.

Just do a forum search on mtc3015 in Title or Body and you can read up on what he's actually selling. >>

Great advice Lee, but where were you 9 months ago?imageimageimage
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you just love ebay and all it truthfulness
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got this 8 Reales coin that George Washington actually used to purchase 3 night's lodging in Philadelphia in 1776. I can't prove it really, but I would be glad to type up a note on an old 2x2 envelope that says my great-great-great grandpappy got the coin from the innkeeper himself!!! All I'm asking is $100,000 and the coin is in really great shape, too.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna say it was purchased using the name he/she is selling under. There was no feedback left by either person and i delete my sold items after a few weeks so i dont think i can go back and find the auction. It was early/mid september. Checking paypal shows I was paid September 13th. If anyone knows how to find my old auction let me know. I havent contacted the seller to ask any questions about it.

• << <i>Many, many years ago when I was just twenty-three,

I was married to a widow, she was pretty as could be.

This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red

And my father fell in Love with her. Soon they too were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law--changed my very life!

My daughter was my mother because she was my father's wife!

To complicate the matter even though it brought me joy,

I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby he then became a brother-in-law to Dad.

Well, that made him my uncle--made me very sad!

Because if he was my uncle then he also was a brother

To the widow's grown-up daughter, who, of course, was my stepmother.

CHORUS

My father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run.

And, of course, he became my grandchild because he was my daughter's son.

My wife is now my mother's mother and this makes me blue

Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too!

CHORUS

Now if my wife is my grandmother, well, then I am her grandchild,

And every time that I think about this, it nearly drives me wild!

Because now I have become the strangest case that you ever saw

As husband of my grandmother, I�m� my own grandpa!

CHORUS:

I'm my own grandpa! I'm my own grandpa!

It sounds funny, I know, but it really is so!

Oh, I'm my own grandpa! >>

Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file