Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

IS PEDRO A HOFer?

Watching the game tonight and some of the hyperbole around Pedro has left me thinking maybe I missed something. Is he a HOFer?

219 - 100 lifetime with an ERA about 2.9 and well over 3,000 Ks.

I suppose so, but what do you think?

Eyebone
"I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough

Comments

• Options
    lol yes
    and its not even close.
  • Options
    Absolutely
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Together with his 3 Cy Youngs I would have to say yes. If he is on the borderline I believe his relationship with the press would sway a YES vote.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Yes. If I can pick on pitcher from the last 10 years to strike a guy out with his best stuff from his prime, I take Pedro second only to Santana.
  • Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Definite HOF. 2.93 ERA during the Steroid Era of baseball is impressive.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Pedro will not only be a surefire first ballott HOFer but he'll get like 87-89% on his first try. He's 216-100 and has 3 CY's plus he led the league in ERA like 5 times. Easy HOFer
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    I am not as convinced as everyone else.............he needs a few more wins for me.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slam dunk, without a doubt first ballot HOfer...he is one of the greatest and most dominant pitchers of his generation without question..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck yea he's a HOFer!

Even though I still think he's used PEDs.

Steve
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Not even a question worth asking. Of course. Duh!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    NugenNugen Posts: 107 ✭✭
    No brainer.
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Considering he pitched in an era of juiced balls, smaller ballparks and PEDS he should absolutely get in. Dominating stuff

Sandy Koufax Career Stats

165-87 2.76 2396K

Pedro
    219-100 2.93 3154K
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    I am also in the camp that says "Yes" to Pedro
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    At his peak, Pedro's best seasons compare with ANYONE that has EVER pitched in the Major Leagues. Add that to his entire body of work and he's a first ballot lock and it would be insulting if he received less than 90% of the vote.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Yes, definitely. Second to none...not even Santana, as mentioned above.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not even a question worth asking. Of course. Duh! >>

Geez.....I sure hope I didn't offend you.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    Only won 20 games in a season twice and never pitched 250+ innings in any single season. Only two stats but not really consistent with some of the other greats of the contemporary era.

Eyebone
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Hell yeah. First ballot.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    first ballot -- I think it is extra ordinarily hard to overstate his dominance for that period of time in which he was utterly above and beyond the rest of the league.

1997 - 2000 was likely the most dominant four-year run by any starting pitcher ever. At least as good as Koufax 1963-1966.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Only won 20 games in a season twice and never pitched 250+ innings in any single season. Only two stats but not really consistent with some of the other greats of the contemporary era.

Eyebone >>

Both are near meaningless in this era of the pitch count and emphasis on WHIP.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe this was actually a question....this is a no-brainer.
  • Options
    Only won 20 games in a season twice and never pitched 250+ innings in any single season. Only two stats but not really consistent with some of the other greats of the contemporary era.

Eyebone >>

Exactly. And wins are probably one of THE most misleading stats to gauge a pitcher's talent or effectiveness by, as they are significantly affected by the talent around the pitcher. Is a 2-1 loss better than a 8-7 win? For the team, no, but don't try and tell me the pitcher that wins the 8-7 game had a better outing than the guy who loses 2-1.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i> Only won 20 games in a season twice and never pitched 250+ innings in any single season. Only two stats but not really consistent with some of the other greats of the contemporary era.

Eyebone >>

Exactly. And wins are probably one of THE most misleading stats to gauge a pitcher's talent or effectiveness by, as they are significantly affected by the talent around the pitcher. Is a 2-1 loss better than a 8-7 win? For the team, no, but don't try and tell me the pitcher that wins the 8-7 game had a better outing than the guy who loses 2-1. >>

Patently ridiculous. I bet you're also one of those guys who just doesn't understand how a hitter who produces 140 RBI in 300 chances is not a better hitter than a guy who produces 70 RBI in 90 chances.
  • Options

<< <i>Patently ridiculous. I bet you're also one of those guys who just doesn't understand how a hitter who produces 140 RBI in 300 chances is not a better hitter than a guy who produces 70 RBI in 90 chances. >>

Nevermind - I thought you said the opposite.

We agree then, but isn't that a similar point that was being made?
  • Options
    Seems someone asks a question and wants to argue the merits of a sure-fire first ballot HOFer. What was the purpose of the question, then? Why not just state that YOU don't think he's a HOFer? And if that's what you think, present your argument rather than suggest that you have a few issues with his career and seasonal numbers and arguing with others because EVERYONE recognizes that he's a no-brainer HOFer.

If you want discredit Martinez because he didn't complete games, pitch mega innings or top 20+ wins for a decade straight, then go ahead. You just demonstrate a complete ignorance to the dominance of the player as a whole. Personally, I couldn't stand Pedro and his act, but there is no way that ANYONE should be able to suggest that he was not one of the most dominant pitchers of his era and during his peak in the late 1990's (1997-2000), he was one of the best pitchers to ever play the game.

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    vote for pedro!
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Seriously - Pedro may not have a long (or at least healthy) career, but he was arguably the best ever at his peak.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    Even the sports writers aren't stupid enough to mess this one up
    Tom
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    An absolute, surefire, first ballot Hall-of-Famer. For my money, Pedro in his prime was the best pitcher of his time. I believe he would have been effective in any era.
    Brett
  • Options
    < Only won 20 games in a season twice and never pitched 250+ innings in any single season. Only two stats but not really consistent with some of the other greats of the contemporary era.

Eyebone >>

Exactly. And wins are probably one of THE most misleading stats to gauge a pitcher's talent or effectiveness by, as they are significantly affected by the talent around the pitcher. Is a 2-1 loss better than a 8-7 win? For the team, no, but don't try and tell me the pitcher that wins the 8-7 game had a better outing than the guy who loses 2-1. >>

Patently ridiculous. I bet you're also one of those guys who just doesn't understand how a hitter who produces 140 RBI in 300 chances is not a better hitter than a guy who produces 70 RBI in 90 chances.

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that how many victories a pitcher has is a very ACCURATE gauge as to his effectiveness? Because that stat is much less significant than WHIP, ERA, K:BB, etc..

Don't make me call Hoopster over here to break it down, now, LOL..

Edit: My point is that the number of voctories Pedro has amassed thus far in his career has little bearing on how dominant he was. There are many pitchers with far more wins than Pedro has who couldn't hold a candle to him as a pitcher.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Pedro has the best adjusted ERA+ (154) of all-time, among starting pitchers. Only Mo Rivera's is higher.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>< Only won 20 games in a season twice and never pitched 250+ innings in any single season. Only two stats but not really consistent with some of the other greats of the contemporary era.

Eyebone >>

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that how many victories a pitcher has is a very ACCURATE gauge as to his effectiveness? Because that stat is much less significant than WHIP, ERA, K:BB, etc..

Don't make me call Hoopster over here to break it down, now, LOL..

Edit: My point is that the number of voctories Pedro has amassed thus far in his career has little bearing on how dominant he was. There are many pitchers with far more wins than Pedro has who couldn't hold a candle to him as a pitcher. >>

No, no, I agree- just having a joke. Carry on.
  • Options

<< <i>wins are probably one of THE most misleading stats to gauge a pitcher's talent or effectiveness >>

Spoken like a true Mets fan . . . image
  • Options
    No, no, I agree- just having a joke. Carry on.

Apparently, I occasionally fail to grasp your sardonic wit, Boo..image

• Options
    < wins are probably one of THE most misleading stats to gauge a pitcher's talent or effectiveness >>

Spoken like a true Mets fan . . .

Well, the Sports Talk forum is presently overrun with Philly and Yankee fans, so I ventured over here for an escape..image

• Options
    Yes! did you see the way he brushed back Don Zimmer.
  • Options
    Without question a first ballot HOF player. Outstanding pitcher.
  • Options
    I think of the best pitchers of the 90's and for some reason, his name keeps popping up.....first ballot HOF, dominant pitcher, World Series performances, never mind his Cy Youngs, what else does he need to do?
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    era under 3 in the steriod era and 3000 k's 200+ wins plus world series ring in boston

easy Hallof Famer
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    He'll make it first ballot, but I don't think with as high of a vote percentage as others think. Pitching in the steroid era will hurt his vote totals. Yes, he dominated juiced hitters, which in itself is amazing. But there is a core percentage of voters out there that won't vote for anyone from this era. It's a real shame because he's one of the few guys you can look at and honestly believe was clean.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yes.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Pedro Borbon???

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    He is in my book.
  • Options
    I was going to make the Koufax comparison myself, but have been beat to it a couple times. He is a no brainer HOFer, but we are talking about the BBWAA and there are some of those writers who probably couldn't throw a pitch 60 ft 6 in and have omitted sure fire HOFers off their ballots before - so who knows anymore? The better question is Schilling a HOFer - although I think this was already hashed out on the boards.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Agreed. He's a first ballot guy.

Pedro is 6th - all-time - in winning percentage at .6865.
    He's also 6th all time in lowest WHIP with 1.054
    3rd all time in Ks/9IP (ahead of guys like Ryan, Koufax, Clemens, Smoltz, etc.)
    2nd in Adjusted ERA+ (behind only Mariano Rivera)

Plus, he's definitely got the "fame" aspect of it locked down.
  • Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    No question. 1st Ballot.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Heck yea he's a HOFer!

Steve >>

Agreed on both counts. And I would say both points are no-brainers. For me, it's a given that he used PEDs.

There are knocks on Pedro for sure - only 2 20-win seasons, limited innings (just 2 seasons over 217), etc. But he also put together maybe the greatest season of all-time in 2000 (with ridiculous ERA+ of 293) and had a number of iconic moments. Who else but Pedro could have a perfect game broken up by a HBP - and have the batter charge the mound?!?!

Never liked the guy but he's a HOF'er, for sure.

Tabe
  • Options
    To answer to question literally - no, he is definitely not a HOFer. One has to be retired five years for consideration. image

I am always very conservative when it comes to HOFs, my signature line is testimony to that. In fact, I think that pro sports Hall Of Fames are so flooded with players that there's no way any daily visitor to a HOF can get an appreciation for all the plaques or busts. HOF should have about 40% of their membership to keep them special. It's become so inclusive that interest for a combined "Pro Sports Hall Of Fame" may surface someday.

All that considered, yes for me Pedro Martinez should be regarded a Future HOFer. The consistent effectiveness that he has accomplished in his era is nothing short of remarkable. Most of his statistics reflect this quality too. -Keith
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Heck yea he's a HOFer!

Is this a joke? You cannot honestly believe that Pedro was on anything. What would make you believe this other than guilty by association?
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options

<< <i>Seems someone asks a question and wants to argue the merits of a sure-fire first ballot HOFer. What was the purpose of the question, then? Why not just state that YOU don't think he's a HOFer? And if that's what you think, present your argument rather than suggest that you have a few issues with his career and seasonal numbers and arguing with others because EVERYONE recognizes that he's a no-brainer HOFer.

If you want discredit Martinez because he didn't complete games, pitch mega innings or top 20+ wins for a decade straight, then go ahead. You just demonstrate a complete ignorance to the dominance of the player as a whole. Personally, I couldn't stand Pedro and his act, but there is no way that ANYONE should be able to suggest that he was not one of the most dominant pitchers of his era and during his peak in the late 1990's (1997-2000), he was one of the best pitchers to ever play the game. >>

Sir.

Fair enough. I did ask the question and I suppose in that context I should have simply waited for the pristine wisdom of folks like you to come rolling in.

Not sure I was attempting to discredit Pedro as you suggest, but rather to offer up a couple of stats that might bring into question his election to Cooperstown. I see you are easily offended.

BTW, you were wrong....three times! Onebamafan was not convinced, so your assertion that the forum was unanimous of Pedro's election was incorrect. Second, I clearly stated in my initial post that "I supposed" he should be a HOFer. Thus, your claim that I oppose his induction is also incorrect. I was only offering up a couple of statistics--that I personally see as telling--to try and encourage some friendly discussion. I desperately hope that you are not opposed to my perogative there, as well. Also, I never questioned whether or not he was one of the most dominant pitchers of his era, only whether or not he belonged in the HOF (there is a difference). And that was your third error.

Eyebone