Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many hours did you have to work...

for your most valuable coin.

I figure 700 after tax hours for my most expensive coin.

and of course, anyone who prefers not to answer this is excused.

Edited for clarity.
SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    I don;t understand the question.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Question was reworded for clarity.
    SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Please excuse me. Thank you.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About a month or so.
    Thats after taxes of cousre.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 60 hours. And I've done that too many times. But it never feels like work so I'm okay with the trade-off.
    Lance.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    just under 500 I think...8 hours in a day, so about 62 workdays.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    11 (pre-tax). But I charge a high fee and don't have any particularly expensive numismatic rarities.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭
    I had never thought of it in those terms. My most expensive coin cost me 340 hours of work for the purchase.

Dang, I need to find a cheaper hobby or at least cheaper coins. image

Mike
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Just as the general guideline for an engagement ring is: Spend about two months of your wages...

The general guideline for a rare coins is: Spend about four years of your wages.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had never thought of it in those terms. My most expensive coin cost me 340 hours of work for the purchase.

Mike >>

Or just find a better paying job then working at the imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50. I must be a cheapskate.image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    50 at todays wages for the price I paid for it. 280 for it's current value. Since then I have bought other coins in the 100 hour range. --Jerry

All extimates using after tax wage rates (extimated to be about 60% of gross wages).
  • Options

<< <i>Just as the general guideline for an engagement ring is: Spend about two months of your wages... The general guideline for a rare coins is: Spend about four years of your wages. >>

On my engagement ring I spent about 2 months salary (before taxes). However, I would have never done that if I hadn't had several years salary doing well in the stock market...of course that evaporated and so did the ring. --Jerry
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30 or so
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Around 20 or so hours at my billing rate, but based on what is taken home at the end of the day, probably more like 80 hours. image
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the time I bought it, it took a bit over 200 hours of work to pay for it, after taxes. Now I earn more, and the coin costs less, so I would only have to work about 110 hours to buy another. No regrets, though.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    JonMN34JonMN34 Posts: 60 ✭✭
    About 1.2 seconds... It took me longer to attribute and holder the coin
    Collector:
    Currency - 1928-1929-1934 Series Stars All Denom. - 126 of ~846
    Lincoln Cent Varieties
    Baseball cards: Kirby Puckett
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had never thought of it in those terms. My most expensive coin cost me 340 hours of work for the purchase.

Mike >>

Well, I'm sure that '35 pcgs washington warranted some excessive hours. image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    maybe 40 or so.

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, I try not to think about this kind of thing so I don't get depressed.

On the other hand it's not as bad as I thought, 320 hours for me or 40 workdays. I need to get a better paying job so I can decrease the number of days. image
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    240 hours.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    A little over 120 hours.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>About 1.2 seconds... It took me longer to attribute and holder the coin >>

A True Collector, That one took knowledge not deep pockets. That's the only way I collect.image

Stew
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>About 1.2 seconds... It took me longer to attribute and holder the coin >>

A True Collector, That one took knowledge not deep pockets. That's the only way I collect.image

Stew >>

What if you collect items that no matter how much knowledge you have you can't get unless you spend a decent amount of money?
  • Options
    Sorry, I should have explained more of what I meant (Trying to put the Chili on)
    Even within high dollar series there are opportunity to recognize something special. With greater knowledge and study of your series
    whether a inexpensive piece in your series is $1.00 or $1,000.00

With out going too deep my thinking was that it is all relative
    If a person has 100 dollars $10 is not a lot. if a person has 100 million 10 million is like the 10 bucks is to the other person.

Stew
  • Options
    My most profitable coin (worth $1600 but I got it for much much less) to date took 1.75 hours; the coin I paid the most for 4.4 hours. I charge a very high rate for my time; one of the perks of being a self employeed licensed professional.image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i actually had to work just 3-4 hours for my most expensive coin......................because i Cherrypicked and the cost went up substantially when someone knew what the coin really was. and if you think that's bad(or good, depending upon your perspective) i only had to work about 20 minutes for another coin worth about the same, but i've already sold it.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    515.65 post-tax hours image
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Mike >>

Well, I'm sure that '35 pcgs washington warranted some excessive hours. image >>

Not really. Just a 48 hour work week and the Washie was mine. image

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

Stew >>

Trust me, if I find any 18th century US coinage in circulation I'll be sure to grab it.

--Jerry
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 20 hours - but didn't feel like it as I'd sold other coins that netted a profit that covered the whole acquisition cost. Sometimes it sure does pay to just walk into a bank and ask what they have for old coins sitting in the vault.

Maine_Jim
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting way to think about it.

about 140 hours in todays income, second would be maybe 40 hours, most of them though in the 5 to 10 hour range.

(wasn't working at the time 90% of my collection was formed, though (sabbatical 2000-2003 between stints of working for the Man)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    About 60 hours, pre-tax.
    Successful BST transactions with: gsa1fan, Coll3ctor, SNMAN, tychojoe, Hyperion, Littletweed, AgBlox, Robb, Steve27, ajbauman, kalshacon, tydye, gdavis70, 1jester, mrmojorisin, bestmr, guitarwes, PerryHall, mhammerman, DGJohn and DNADave.
  • Options

<< <i>About 60 hours, pre-tax. >>

Tetradrachm, welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 months.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    75 hours, whats two weeks worth of work.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS - similar concept in 2007. image

Link to earlier thread.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    230 hours. image
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    About 30 hours pre-tax.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    About 40 hours for the one I currently own (in the year I bought it...my yearly salary fluctuates significantly so it would change from year to year.) My most expensive would be closer to 50 hours...but I don't own the coin anymore.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    What's work ? image
  • Options
    I was reading something the other day that stated the majority of employees in america make 8.00 dollars per hour. I picked my favorite coin and based the average american wage against the price it once sold for. The average american making 8.00 per hour would have to work 1875 hours with no taxes to afford the coin or 46.875 forty hour work weeks. Kind of puts things in perspective- our hobby is out of control image
  • Options

<< <i>I was reading something the other day that stated the majority of employees in america make 8.00 dollars per hour. I picked my favorite coin and based the average american wage against the price it once sold for. The average american making 8.00 per hour would have to work 1875 hours with no taxes to afford the coin or 46.875 forty hour work weeks. Kind of puts things in perspective- our hobby is out of control image >>

Ouch, using this pretax mine would be 862 hours or 172 work weeks.

Guess it's time to take a break form collecting and pay off those bills. image
  • Options

<< <i>I was reading something the other day that stated the majority of employees in america make 8.00 dollars per hour. I picked my favorite coin and based the average american wage against the price it once sold for. The average american making 8.00 per hour would have to work 1875 hours with no taxes to afford the coin or 46.875 forty hour work weeks. Kind of puts things in perspective- our hobby is out of control image >>

There are plenty of folks earning close to minimum wage. I believe the average per hour wage is about $12-13.

I had a friend here in Tucson that was a cashier at WalMart, making about $9 an hour. With his employers blessing, he would buy interesting coins from his tray. He put a nice little collection together on the cheap. He really scored when the Wisconsin error quarters hit Tucson in 2004.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30 hours post-tax or 22 hours pre-tax.
  • Options
    whoops
  • Options
    I have been thinking about this thread today, and have come to a new conclusion. I have worked over 80,000 hours in the past 30 odd years to put myself in the position I find myself now. Without those hours of education and dedication I would not be able to do what it is I do. Therefore, I wish to change my answer to 80,000 hours.image
  • Options
    My most expensive single piece is a bullion bar that cost $3300. Thats about 100 hours of hard labor for me.
  • Options
    Let's see - minimum wage, carry the two, minus 7, um, uh, then there is good old uncle Sammy.... Say 255 hours. I need a raise.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file