Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you - or do you know of anyone who can identify any overton variety without the aid of a book?

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
I am not talking about just R-5s or better but all of them. I know all the 1814s and know most of the better varieties. But I don't see myself ever able to ID all without an aid. Just curious if anyone has ever managed this feat. I think maybe Overton himself had since he wrote the book - but I don't know this for fact.

Actually has anyone every memorized all the die varieties in any series?

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I am not talking about just R-5s or better but all of them. I know all the 1814s and know most of the better varieties. But I don't see myself ever able to ID all without an aid. Just curious if anyone has ever managed this feat. I think maybe Overton himself had since he wrote the book - but I don't know this for fact.

Actually has anyone every memorized all the die varieties in any series? >>

For 450 Die Marriages, the Halves pose quite a challenge to memorize.

I've since been able to memorize about half of the Die Marriages of the Bust Quarter series,
    But I am severely lagging in the Half-Dime and Dimes section (unless one of those has a CUD!)
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually has anyone every memorized all the die varieties in any series? >>

Yes, Bob Grellman can identify all of the middle and late date large cents at a glance, which is simply amazing.

When I was collecting half cents I could do all of them, but that's not such a big deal since there are only about 100 coins in the set if you exclude the Proof only issues. The early dates are pretty easy to do because the dies were hand made and there are a lot of differences between the varieites. When you get into the later dates, the die work was more consistent and attributions get to be a lot tougher and harder to remember. In the half cent series, only one die pair was used per year in the late dates.

If someone could attribute all of the 1827 half dollar varieties I'd be impressed. I once had a circuated example that I could never attribute even with the book.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    To memorize the all of Overton attributions would be an amazing feat. Most serious collectors of the series are happy, I would think, just to get a good handle on the R4s and up for the cherrypicking to be done at shows. I've zeroed in on the 1809s and can attribute those 15 pretty well, as far as a single date goes. 1807 is pretty easy, too...
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhh, no, I have a difficult time just seeing the dates image
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I've zeroed in on the 1809s and can attribute those 15 pretty well, as far as a single date goes. 1807 is pretty easy, too... >>

1815 is a little easier though image
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

I'm always impressed with the people who can
    seemingly attribute most of the Sheldon large
    cents at a glance. I just never saw enough of
    them to hammer the attributions into my thick
    skull, and the photos that were available back
    in the day were not all that great.

Add to that, the fact that if you hit me on the
    wrong day, I may not be able to remember my
    own phone number, and it was all pretty hopeless
    for the Bungler.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been told that some of the BHNC guys can (not sure if those that can are still living), but I couldn't swear to it.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've known a couple die hard CBH nuts, and they carried their books around with them. They could usually narrow a die marriage down pretty quickly, but usually needed to double check, which is always a good idea.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>I've known a couple die hard CBH nuts, and they carried their books around with them. They could usually narrow a die marriage down pretty quickly, but usually needed to double check, which is always a good idea. >>

I agree, even if you can identify all of the varieties, human error always comes into play. It's smart to double check, even if you're 100% certain.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Glenn Peterson, author of "The Ultimate Guide to Attributing Bust Halves" is the only one I know personally who can attribute all of them without looking at a reference. However, many of the Bust Half Nuts know most of them pretty well. I have sat in hotel rooms at large coin shows late into the night watching the Bust Half Nuts challenge each other at attributions. It amazes me that they can do that with 450 die marriages, yet I cannot do the same with just 92 marriages of the baby busties.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have sat in hotel rooms at large coin shows late into the night watching the Bust Half Nuts challenge each other at attributions. >>

Did they have to drink if they got it wrong?

Sorry but that was the image that popped into my head when I read that line. But I guess that would be the best way to learn a series is with the aid of others. I have leafed through my Overton how many times, have the Petersons as well. But it just does not want to stick.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I think Dr. Glenn Peterson might be able to identify all the Overton varieties from memory, but I doubt anyone else can. For me, I have no interest in memorizing the Overton varieties, even though I collect them all.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    While I would certainly have respect for anyone who can memorize such things...a great ability to have when scanning coins on a bourse image ... I go by the old quote attributed to Albert Einstein... Why clutter the brain with information that can easily be found in a reference book? Better to save the space in one's mind for exploration and deep thought (or something like that)

Of course, that is a great "out" when someone catches me all spaced out and clueless imageimageimage
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Stone

I can't afford to buy an 1815/2 so I just don't look at them... makes it a little easier.
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there has been a few people who could attribute from memory all 450 Overton listed CBH's, but I doubt anyone has memorized all 558 1794-1836 varieties. I can attribute all 66 of the 1796-1807 DBH's from memory, and most of the 1794-1795 FH's. Its not that difficult for the DBH's, there are pick up points I have developed that are not listed in Overton which allow me to attribute 30 or so die marriages on ebay in a few minutes. The Overton attribution descriptions for DBH's are not well defined and leave a lot of margin for error.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>I've known a couple die hard CBH nuts, and they carried their books around with them. They could usually narrow a die marriage down pretty quickly, but usually needed to double check, which is always a good idea. >>

image I had a Bust Nut member who had all but seven of the varieties in his collection use the book to attribute my date set and it took him quite a while. I think it is too much to remember and there is no need.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file