Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

VCP help - please 1959 Bazooka Mantle

I would appreciate help on this as the price guides don't seem to be in line with prices I see. Thanks.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    PSA Auth $570.
    SGC Auth $294
    SGC 50 $5462.
    SGC 84 $3161.
    SGC 88 $1901.

It would seem that the higher the SGC grade the less money it sells for!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the info, although it is hard to understand how the higher grades sold for less.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Centering and cuts, most likely - the midgrade one probably looked a lot better, but maybe a wrinkle or a paper loss on the back.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Throw out the crazy $5400 for a SGC50.

Also look more at the Auth graded ones as they are all handcut and NONE should get a number grade IMO.

A complete box (EX/MT) uncut sold for $2400
    http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=920&auctionid=512

IMO $1800 NRMT, $900 EX, $500 VG ....... complete box 2X
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what's funnier. Looking at the enlarged scan of that Mantle Box, or estimate of value at $1800 NRMT, $900 EX, $500 VG ....... complete box 2X.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Not as Funny as paying $5K + for a modern Bazooka cutout card of a guy who averaged 29 HRs a year and had (only) four 100 RBI seasons as a 3/4 hitter on the Yankees image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Actually early in his career he batted leadoff, and in 1956 he led the majors in HR, RBI, and AVG.

If you compare his stats to his contemporaries he doesn't look to shabby. If you are comparing him to the juiced up players

of the late 90's then I'd agree it is funny.

Lets not forget that he had 6 or 7 100 run scored seasons, and 9 seasons of 90+ RBI.

Just like Mathews, just like Robinson, just like Banks.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    And he was always playing injured! 1959 Bazooka Mantle is probably my favorite card and would love the complete box.
  • Options

<< <i> a guy who averaged 29 HRs a year and had (only) four 100 RBI seasons as a 3/4 hitter on the Yankees image >>

Just think, that's all it takes to be one of the 10 best players in history
    Tom
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    No steroids, played less games a year. Was a great drag bunter. Clutch player especially in many World Series(most homers ever in W.S.)
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what Math Frank was using to claim Mantle averaged 29 home runs a year.

Even if you divide his homers by 18 (which I think he did) the amount is actually 29.77.

With that said, it would be more honest to divide his amount using 158 games as an average season.

For 10 years his seasons were 154 games while 8 seasons they were 162.

Seeing that his average over 162 games is 36 (according to baseball ref) I'd guesstimate that over a 158 games season

it would be closer to 38.

Now if people want to claim his cards are overpriced I'd possibly agree with them. But to claim that he had stats that are weak

is pure ignorance or jealousy.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually early in his career he batted leadoff, and in 1956 he led the majors in HR, RBI, and AVG.

If you compare his stats to his contemporaries he doesn't look to shabby. If you are comparing him to the juiced up players

of the late 90's then I'd agree it is funny.

Lets not forget that he had 6 or 7 100 run scored seasons, and 9 seasons of 90+ RBI.

Just like Mathews, just like Robinson, just like Banks.

Steve >>

1956 was great year. Triple crown for Mickey and a birth in my family. image
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Griff, Without seeing a scan of the SGC 50 could it be possible that someone thought it was over sized (not cut up to the lines) and could possibly be improved?
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    DosDueces-
    Entirely possible- the card was considerably oversized, and could easily have been cut down to be a higher graded.
    About the only part of FKW's post that I agree with is that they should all be given "authentic" grades since they were all cut down.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Griffins and FKW...

could you elaborate on why you think they should only get an authentic grade???

I am curious to hear your reasoning behind...

thanks

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    The card was issued on the back of a bazooka gum box. As such it was never cut by the factory. I don't agree with giving a numerical grade to a card that was cut by someone other than the factory. All your doing is saying how well someone can operate an xacto knife.
    Beckett justifiably gets a lot of flak and loses all credibility by grading cards that were cut from sheets by collectors. This really isn't any different.
    This card is a perfect example- it could conceivably be improved by trimming it just a bit more, making the edges and corners sharper.

Edited to add- I don't think packs or autos should get numerical grades either- just authenticate and let the buyer judge the eye appeal. Technical grades just don't matter with those, only authenticity IMO.

• Options

<< <i>DosDueces-
    Entirely possible- the card was considerably oversized, and could easily have been cut down to be a higher graded.
    About the only part of FKW's post that I agree with is that they should all be given "authentic" grades since they were all cut down.
    image >>

Griff, Looks like alot of room for improvement there. I wouldn't be surprised if that winds up in a 9 holder.
    W.C.Fields
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    I've been trying to buy one of these at a reasonable price for a long time, and very few seem to come up for sale. There are a couple listed regularly on eBay as BIN for $2000 in PSA Authentic (707 and someone else). I would love one like the one shown in this thread. Anyone have another graded one for sale?