Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why are CC GSA toners lableld "Silver Dollar" and Blast Whites are "Uncirculated&quot

DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
I am certain this observation has already been made about the GSA hoard and particularly the CC "Uncirculated Silver Dollar" label versus the "Silver Dollar" label, indicating that the coin is NOT uncirculated. If I'm not mistaken these coins were packaged and sold thru the Gov't Service Agency during '71 & '72 (although I could be mistaken).

I have been acquiring GSA "affordable" CC Silver Dollars over the past decade. I've noticed that any toned GSA CC is labeled as "Silver Dollar" on the plastic holder and that blast white CCs are labeled "Uncirculated Silver Dollar". It seems to me that many of the toned CCs in GSA plastic labeled "Silver Dollar" are acutally Uncirculated!

So, given the date and given the general perception at the time, it would seem that toned & uncirculated were mutually exclusive during the '70s. In conclusion, the fascination with toned coins seems te be a very recent phenomenon in our numismatic history, at least as far as GSA holdered coins are concerned.

When did toners start garnishing such a premium and why did the GSA packagers not recognize toners as Unc. coins?

Cheers!

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭✭
    Ones that were blast white were considered uncirculated, while those that were "tarnished" in some way, were considered "problem" coins and labeled only as Silver Dollars, even though they were uncirculated.
  • Options

<< <i>I've noticed that any toned GSA CC is labeled as "Silver Dollar" on the plastic holder and that blast white CCs are labeled "Uncirculated Silver Dollar". It seems to me that many of the toned CCs in GSA plastic labeled "Silver Dollar" are acutally Uncirculated! >>

That's because they are. image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ones that were blast white were considered uncirculated, while those that were "tarnished" in some way, were considered "problem" coins and labeled only as Silver Dollars, even though they were uncirculated. >>

They considered cleaning the "tarnished" coins, but thankfully they did not.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my GSA 1885 CC "silver dollar"

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    From a text on the subject:

"Each coin was segregated first by date and mint mark. Then within this group the coin was further sorted into one of three categories: (1) uncirculated, that met the grading standards, (2) tarnished or slightly scratched, and (3) errors...."

In case your wondering the errors/varieties were mixed in to the other two categories before being sold, and only those in the first category received the "uncirculated" designated slabs.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>From a text on the subject:

...In case your wondering the errors/varieties were mixed in to the other two categories before being sold, and only those in the first category received the "uncirculated" designated slabs. >>

That's exactly what I was wondering in the OP! Why some Uncs. ended up in "Silver Dollar" plastic whilst others ended up in"Uncirculated Silver Dollar" GSA plastic!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was the stinking tarnish!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GSA considered this "Tarnished"

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    The tarnished ones with pretty colors sold for a discounted price image

Oh to be a coin collector back then image
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this one ended up in a silver dollar holder. I guess it was too tarnished

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back then, it was clear, as it still is to many today, that tarnish is surface degradation and not to be confused with the blooming of flowers. The recent fad merely costs people money in unjustified premiums. Oh well, their money, their collection. And those that cannot afford the tarnished coins, place their 'uncirculated' coins in Taco Bell napkins...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Let me guess ricko....you don't eat at taco bell any more since this toning fad showed up image
  • Options
    Thanks for the posts and informative photos. It is now clear to me that the GSA were not discriminating by technical grade but rather by eye appeal. Interesting how things have change in such a short period of time.
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Funny thing is that we just bought an 1881-CC GSA Dollar in a black box that wasn't labeled Uncirculated and came with just the generic GSA Card. The coin is a stone MS-65 coin and 100% blast white as well. I guess it was just one they missed.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
  • Options
    This CC GSA with the obvious flaw on the obverse was enshrined with the Uncirculated Silver Dollar GSA plastic holder. Perhaps another oversite by GSA. Go figure! The GSA hoard is a fascinating era in the history of this series. I wish I was old enough back then to bid on these when they were originally ...er...finally released!

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭
    Sealed 1884-CC dollar

Very tempting ... (found the date 1884 on the box)
  • Options

<< <i>Sealed 1884-CC dollar Very tempting ... (found the date 1884 on the box) >>

Man, that IS rare.......not $379 rare, but rare. Coolness........but I'd rather know what I'm buying. Esp since '84's are so very common date.

BEst
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the posts and informative photos. It is now clear to me that the GSA were not discriminating by technical grade but rather by eye appeal. Interesting how things have change in such a short period of time. >>

I believe your conclusion is incorrect. They trained a group of six women to sort the coins by the amount of damage (whether due to bag marks or toning). Since CC coins are usually very well struck, this was an effective way of rapidly separating the high end "uncirculated" coins from the low end coins. The only difference between then and now is that toned coins today do not get downgraded for being damaged unless it impairs the luster.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    werent the gsa coins just sold as a "pick out of the hat"- in that you sent in your bid and they gave you whatever they touched first?
    how could that seller know the unopened box is an 1884 cc unless it was opened?
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Good one Kryptonitecomics... actually, I don't eat at Taco Bell now, or before.. except once. That was all it took for me to realize it was not Mexican food... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file