Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you have any coins which have been in your family for moultiple generations?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
If so, tell us about the coin(s) and the "family history" of same.

For me I have a circulated 1890CC Morgan that my aunt found on the street. On her death it passed to her sister (my mom). My mom gave it to me and I have had it about 40-45 years.

Comments

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1933, my paternal grandmother did not trust the government when they ordered people to turn in their gold coins. She hid $75 of gold coins, and only told my father about it many decades later.

They aren't valuable numismatic coins. An 01 S Double Eagle in VF, an 04 S Double Eagle that is AU, two circ. IH $10s and three circ. IH $5s. While some of the IH gold has low mintage, they aren't scarce coins. But, they're all family heirlooms.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Yes, our Great, Great, Great grandfather went to the mint and bought
    a brand new coin to celebrate the birth of his new child. The coin was
    bright & shiny and newly made and was a beautiful specimen.
    It has come down through the years from family to family and each
    family has cherished it as their prize possession. At family gatherings
    it was brought out and shown to the group and refreshments were
    served. It's a miracle it has survived all these years and we are so
    proud to own it.

Someday it will pay for a new house and little Buddy's education at Harvard.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    My grandfather started a set of Morgans in Whitman albums. My dad worked on them, and I finished them. Actually one of the first things I did was put them in a set of Danscos. I will never be able to relay the feeling I felt as I put that last Morgan in the book. I did it for all 3 of us. image
    Becky
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story Dorkgirl.

If you ever get a chance, post pics of the Morgans.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    My dad showed me his coffee can of unusual coins he collected growing up in LA and Denver. He has a Monroe Doctrine half, a bent half dime, a couple of corroded 2 cent pieces, etc. I don't know what he did with them.

Last year at a family reunion up in British Columbia, my maternal aunt gave me a coin my great-great-grandfather passed down to my grandmother. It's an 1876 half dollar that was saved as a birth year mememto and is in AU condition. The problem with it is that my great-grandfather or grandfather tried to solder it to something (probably a bolo tie). Now it is deeply toned with a glob of silver solder on the reverse. It's not worth much, but it's definitely a keeper. So far it has been passed down 5 generations.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭✭
    My grandfather pulled a bunch of coins out of circulation in the 1930s and kept them in a cigar box. My uncle has them now. I'd like to buy them from him someday. Would you believe that half dimes were still in circulation in the 1930s?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, my 1853 25c and 1859 IHC (in my 7070) were given to my father by his grandfather. I had some others that were sold (a holed, circ 1895-O Morgan), and some were given away (1857 FE cent, given to Russ).
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you believe that half dimes were still in circulation in the 1930s?

Yes, I do. As a nine year old, once I went to buy candy at the Union 76 station across from the elementary school I attended. I bought some candy and the guy gave me change for a dime. One of the pennies I got in change didn't look right. It didn't have a picture of Lincoln on it, so I thought it was fake. I explained it to the guy, and he assured me that the penny was indeed real, it was just old. As I had been buying candy from him for over a year, I took him at his word. It was an 1898 IHC.

Until they stopped putting silver in dimes, quarters, and half dollars, coins circulated. I found a few odd Liberty Nickels, Barber Dimes, and even a few Barber Quarters in change. I also found a 16 P Walker in change. Even now, I'll occasionally find nickels minted in the 1940s in change.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife's grandfather fought in Africa during WWII for the US.

My wife's other grandfather was German & fought in Europe, eventually becoming a Soviet POW in Romania.

He was released at the end of the war & walked from Romania to Bavaria, Germany to get home.

It's been said that his wife (my wife's grandmother) didn't even recognized him when he finally arrived home.

I have 1940's German, Romanian & African coins passed on from each veteran to my wife's parents and now they are part of my collection.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Christmas in 1957 (I was eight at the time), my grandfather gave me a Blue Book, a 1802 Large Cent, and a few well circulated Indian Head cents. Since he died in 1958, that was the last Christmas present I ever received from him. The Indian cents have long disappeared but I still have the Blue Book and the Large Cent. I've attributed it as a S-242 and it probably net grades as G6 thanks to a few green spots but, regardless of value, it's not going anywhere.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭
    Year was 1977, my grandmother turned over to me a medium toned 1884-s morgan, which I promptly scoured with silver polish, and cleaned a little more with a pencil eraser...

I still have it, as a momento - explaining to a large degree why rare coins are rare. This unc 1884-s just needed a little dip and it would have been an amazing MS63-64 coin.

C'est la vie!

• Options
    I had a 1918 wheat cent handed down to me in ag3 i bet its worth $0.04 by now
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    I've still got proof sets I bought before my sons were born...............does that count?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Yes, I have some coins my grand mother passed down to me via my uncle.
  • Options
    I have a corroded 1818 cent my father plowed up about 1885. A school chum plowed up an 1818 cent about 1950, which I now have. I dug up my own 1818 cent about 1960.

In the 1950's the local variety store owner gave me two Canadian 5 cent silvers that had been in the cash register for probably decades.
    That she gave them to me was a bit out of character for her but greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    The first one to come to mind cant be posted to forum.

Its a Large Cent altered to read ONE C*NT.

It has been in the family for at least 100 years.

Also have a few Italian and German coins from WWII that have been passed down from my grandfather to my father and then to me.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    My very first Morgan dollar is such a coin. I received it in 1981 when my maternal grandfather died. I remember being a kid around 7 or 8 an playing with it. The coin was his mother's... 1881 was her birth year. She died in the early 1920s.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    All I have is about 25 Chinese silver dollar coins (no, not the fake ones they make today). Just about all of them are nice, crusty and original. Also have a few U.S. coins, which my grandparents must've pulled from circulation when they arrived in the U.S. some 40+ years ago. No way you can find a Fine 1916 Buffalo nickel in change or 40% half in ordinary pocket change today.
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    At one point some pulled out my great-grandfather's change purse. It was mostly dark side, but it contained my oldest US coin- A 1800 half cent which is now in PCGS G6.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    These coins have been in my family for at least three generations, quite possibly four. They are the coins that, upon discovering them in my late father's stash area, got me collecting coins last year. I later found another Morgan that he had, but I believe that one is only second generation. The Peace dollars are one of my all time favorite designs, and these four (plus one more, that is a duplicate) were the first time I ever saw them, and currently the only examples I have.

They will be in my possesion forever, there is no amount of money that could make me sell them.

I hope that someday if I ever have kids, I can tell them the story of how I found them, and that they could be the 5th generation to be in possesion of them, but at the very least 4th!

I also have a large number of wheat cents that my mom and dad pulled out of circulation in the 1950s and 60s, probably about 400. Unfortunatly they were stored in a leaky basement and most of them have enviremental damage image There were about 10 Mercury dimes and 3 silver Washington Quarters with them as well. Only one of the quarters was damaged and none of the dimes, luckily!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    My family isn't that organized. My mother bought some morgans off TV in the 60s and they were lost before I became an adult. --Jerry
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grandfather lost his pinkie finger in a cornshucker machine accident when he was six years old in 1897. He had to go into town to the doctor and when he returned home to the farm his brother gave him a 2 cent piece that he had been saving to use in the store. Instead of spending it, my grandfather kept the coin and gave it to me ca. 1976 when I was ten years old. I still have it, it has been in the family for 111 years now.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    I once saw an heirloom I wish I could have. Almost 50 years ago, an elderly member of the coin club had a wife who had her father's collection. He kept it a very small iron keg whose two halves screwed together. The whole thing went through a house fire. The keg was intact, maybe a little rusted. The silver and copper coins melted into a solid mass. But you could read the date on the bust dime floating on top.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file