Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade / Opinions wanted on this 1855 S half dollar

I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Detailwise, it looks AU something. How are the surfaces and luster?
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Really rare in this high grade.
    If it's yours, congratulations. Mine is only a Good or VG.

Ray
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd give an EF sharpness grade, but I'd have to go over the surfaces in person to really pin down an exact grade. There might be something going on with the obverse. I don't think that there is a enough mint surface left to call it AU in any case.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Great coin. It's really hard to tell from photos on this one. From what I see it's probably in the AU55 area but I can only look at luster in hand honestly. The reverse looks maybe even higher then the obverse but strike wasn't always as consistent either in the day.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many 19th century coins are stronger on the reverse than the obverse. This especially true of early (1790s, early 1800s) coins.

The obverse die may have been injured or a late die state, which would account for th lack of detail on the upper part of Ms. Liberty's body. But I'm no expert in this era. I'm just going by what I think I see.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    AU, but might be cleaned. Hard to tell from the pics.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    The detail and the lack of luster are at odds, at least based on the photos.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great coin. It's really hard to tell from photos on this one. From what I see it's probably in the AU55 area but I can only look at luster in hand honestly. The reverse looks maybe even higher then the obverse but strike wasn't always as consistent either in the day. >>

We bought in an 1855-S the other day with an AG-3 obverse and a VG-8 reverse.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    TD, I have seen them like that as well.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the outline of the darker toning around the stars and legends, I see angular shapes, which makes me think some cleaning was done at some point.
  • Options
    78750Aggie78750Aggie Posts: 417 ✭✭
    AU-50, a very nice coin.
    Aggie
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF details, old cleaning. Nice date and mint.

• Options

<< <i>AU, but might be cleaned. Hard to tell from the pics. >>

Kind of strange on the reverse that inside the mouth of the eagle it's dark but the surrounding of the head looks clean.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I like it. That is one heluva TOUGH coin to find in any condition, and that one looks sharp. By comparison, grade wise, here's mine which is a PCGS VF25....

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like it. That is one heluva TOUGH coin to find in any condition, and that one looks sharp. By comparison, grade wise, here's mine which is a PCGS VF25....

image >>

Great piece dizzy!image
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Here is an example in your grade range. The bottom one is graded by PCGS as AU-53.

From a non experts perspective this is my opinion.
    I won't comment on the toning details of your coin from just the photo. It appears yours
    has a bit more drapery, or something there that looks like drapery. They come
    without drapery, partial drapery & with drapery depending on the amount of lapping
    that was done. Not sure about the rim area around 2:30 if it's a bump. The obv
    shield LIBERTY is just about full, as most have parts missing as in Dizzyfoxx's, however
    the rev shield has the usual light, or missing lines at the left lower area.
    The star centrils are nearly full and the arrowheads and feathers have good detail.
    The head, toe and gown seem more full than my coin and the reverse top wings, head,
    shield and claws feet are sharply struck, but you do have a few more contact marks. The
    large S is positioned with the right sides aligning with the F in HALF, similar to mine,
    whereas the VF coin is centered on the F.
    Hard to tell the grade of yours without seeing it, but I would think if it is gradeable it would
    be around an AU-55. The pop of an AU-53 is 3/4. It is a tough coin to find unless messed with.
    Nice pickup!
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>AU-50, a very nice coin. >>

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    Whatever the grade, it's a beauty.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO......................Nice eye appeal! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file