Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got my first Ebay negative on a $3.25 item...

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
322 positives and I get a negative from Ebay member retiredriver over a $3.25 set of State Quarters. He didn't like them, so I offered him a refund plus shipping...he states that in the negative? I don't get it!!!

Is there any recourse?

Auction link

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that.
    I think he is new and doesn't understand when he is offered a fair deal. (new being a relative term...he only has 39 feedback).

That said, it seems that so many problems come from the really low items.....I think anything $20 and below (pick whatever low number someone wants to deal with) is best sold on the BST if possible....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Just post a follow-up reply to his feedback, and say "Sorry you were unsatisfied with your purchase; I tried my best to make it right" or something to that affect.

You can do that here.

Whatever you do, DO NOT post anything cynical, angry, or defensive to the buyer's feedback... even if you feel you are 100% right and justified. As tempting as it may be to "slam" a hard-to-please buyer, you should avoid it at all costs. Like it or not, the majority of eBay buyers consider ANY defensive/negative commentary from sellers to be unprofessional, and will likely hold it against you. Ergo the expression, "the customer is always right."
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! You are now and experienced eBay seller! image
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats! You are now and experienced eBay seller! image >>

Indeed; negative feedback happens to the best of us, unfortunately. Regardless of how great a seller you are; eventually a buyer will come along who's impossible to please no matter what you do. I maintained 100% positive feedback for 8 years straight before "earning" my first neg. It sucks, but you learn to grin and bear it and move on. If nothing else, the experience has taught me to try and be a little more forgiving toward other sellers who happen to have less-than-perfect feedback scores.
  • Options
    AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

I agree ..... low value items bring out the Nut cases. One negative brought you down to 94.4%, Ouch !!!!!!

It was a lot of work on your part. Listing/packing/communicating/shipping for probably no profit ........ and then you get a negative on top of it.

What I've done with items that end up selling for a nominal amount and the insane picky buyers complain when they get it ..... I just return their money and tell them to keep the merchandise. I know that just encourages the Nut cases, but it allows me to get them out of my hair without a Negative. It just is not worth it. Anything that would bring less than $25 or so ........ I just throw it away if I'm tired of looking at it. I don't plan on wasting an hour or so and give free shipping on top of that, just for some Bozo to get it all for free anyway.
  • Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904

<< <i>Just post a follow-up reply to his feedback, and say "Sorry you were unsatisfied with your purchase; I tried my best to make it right" or something to that affect.

You can do that here.

Whatever you do, DO NOT post anything cynical, angry, or defensive to the buyer's feedback... even if you feel you are 100% right and justified. As tempting as it may be to "slam" a hard-to-please buyer, you should avoid it at all costs. Like it or not, the majority of eBay buyers consider ANY defensive/negative commentary from sellers to be unprofessional, and will likely hold it against you. Ergo the expression, "the customer is always right." >>

Too late lol "IDIOT! I offered return + shipping on a $3.25 item. 1st neg after 322 TY moron!"
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>Too late lol "IDIOT! I offered return + shipping on a $3.25 item. 1st neg after 322 TY moron!" >>

Ughh... bad move. If you wanted to flame the buyer for being an idiot, you should have either:

A) Let him know in a personal email (not to be seen by the public); or
    B) Posted a follow-up to the feedback you already you already left for him (that way, at least it shows up in his feedback profile; not yours)

But calling the buyer an "idiot" within your own feedback profile is entirely self-defeating, so you're basically shooting yourself in the foot. WTG, you blew it!
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that you should have not have used that reply. You should have waited a day or two to calm down and came up with a better response. Ebay is loaded with idiots, but then so is life. You just cant avoid them. Take it with a grain of salt and move on.
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    The negative may have come from the fact that the buyer did not know what they were getting. Are those gold plated coins as they look like in one of the pictures? Is that really official U.S. Mint packaging?
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

"IDIOT! I offered return + shipping on a $3.25 item. 1st neg after 322 TY moron!"
    -----
    No points for style.

You should have taken the high road. Anyone
    reading your reply will not be emotionally involved
    in the transaction, and it just makes you look
    vindictive.

The only people who will read your comment are
    potential buyers of your items. Is this what you
    want them to see?

Just as an aside, I don't get selling anything on eBay
    for three or four dollars. What's the point??

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there any recourse? >>

Not anymore after your reply. There is such a thing as mutually withdrawn feedback... at least I think Ebay still does allow that occasionally.

Sorry for your neg.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    This week I received an e-bay coin purchase. It was listed as a Franklin proof and the picture was of a nice cameo coin. What I received was a low grade unc coin. I expressed my disappointment to the seller who offered to refund my money plus the shipping I paid. OK, that's the right thing to do, but what should I do? It'll cost me time and postage to return it and I only paid $8, so I'll probably keep it and take it as a lesson learned. But what feedback should I leave? The seller offered a refund, but the listing was clearly and intentionally wrong. I'd like to warn future buyers, but as this thread says, a neg is pretty punitive.
    Greg
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear, same thing happened to me, over a 87 Topps Bonds card, that sold for $6.
    Seller claimed I ripped him off, also stated it wouldn't grade Gem Mint 10, never said it would.
    You state in Mint packaging, that doesn't look like US Mint packaging, FYI.
    Block em and move on,
    scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand how 1 neg. in 322 transactions lowered your rating to 94.4
    Shouldn't it be more like 99.4 ?????(1 neg. out of 100 should leave a 99% positive!)
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The only comments I look at when buying from sellers on ebay are the negatives and how the seller responded.

Ouch for the comments you made.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    Shouldn't it be more like 99.4 ?????(1 neg. out of 100 should leave a 99% positive!)

It seems they only go by the last 12 months...so it's 1 neg out of 25 total.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    low value items bring out the Nut cases.

Undoubetdly true. With small items, it is not a question of 'if' but 'when' you will get negged.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"IDIOT! I offered return + shipping on a $3.25 item. 1st neg after 322 TY moron!"
    -----
    No points for style.

You should have taken the high road. Anyone
    reading your reply will not be emotionally involved
    in the transaction, and it just makes you look
    vindictive.

The only people who will read your comment are
    potential buyers of your items. Is this what you
    want them to see? >>

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blocked, thanks for sharing.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Don't feel too bad......
    I've got 6,000+ and 3 negatives.
    Total value of all 3 items.......$26

One was not even for my item!!
    Seriously......I had a $3 rotor that was absolutely new in original box.
    Guy bought mine and at same time several from another guy who was selling used rotors.
    Left exact same negative feedback on both of us complaining about rust and wear.
    Mine was new in box!!
    No response to several appeals to correct feedback.

All 3 occured with no attempt at contact to say there was a problem.
    All 3 from rookie buyers(less 25 feedback)

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    I read the FEEDBACK and I think I know why the buyer gave a "negitive". He said " Didnot ship right coins". The auction title said "First 5 State Quarters in a holder from the mint". 3 of the coins are from 1999 and the other 2 from 2000. Therefore they are not the first 5 State Quarters.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Putting myself in the buyer's position, I would be annoyed if I had to go to the post office to return $3 worth of coins because you sent the wrong package (or did not clearly describe what would be in the package). OTOH, I would give you the opportunity to make it right and probably would not resort to the neg, unless you were being a real jerk about it.

Frankly, I do not see why folks are buying and selling pocket change in a plastic holder on ebay--nothing good can come of it! image
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Putting myself in the buyer's position, I would be annoyed if I had to go to the post office to return $3 worth of coins because you sent the wrong package >>

That is why when I make a shipping error I send the correct coins with a SASE for them to put the wrong coins in and drop in any mailbox. They don't have to leave the house.--Jerry
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Putting myself in the buyer's position, I would be annoyed if I had to go to the post office to return $3 worth of coins because you sent the wrong package >>

That is why when I make a shipping error I send the correct coins with a SASE for them to put the wrong coins in and drop in any mailbox. They don't have to leave the house.--Jerry >>

Jerry you are a highly-educated professional who is using professional service and skills to run a professional coin business. Most transactions include at least one party who is a dim-witted imbecile (I carry that torch in my transactions image ), and this sad fact is what usually leads things to go awry.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was threatened with a negative over a $20 piece of ceramic that arrived broken. I wrapped this piece in bubble-wrap and took great care in packaging it. I also urged the buyer to purchase insurance which she did not cover in the cost of the item. The end of the story... I cut her a check and was done with it. I now no longer sell anything even remotely breakable through ebay... "slabs" notwithstanding... L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    Too late lol "IDIOT! I offered return + shipping on a $3.25 item. 1st neg after 322 TY moron!"

If I saw this in a Seller's feedback, I'd not buy from that Seller.
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This week I received an e-bay coin purchase. It was listed as a Franklin proof and the picture was of a nice cameo coin. What I received was a low grade unc coin. I expressed my disappointment to the seller who offered to refund my money plus the shipping I paid. OK, that's the right thing to do, but what should I do? It'll cost me time and postage to return it and I only paid $8, so I'll probably keep it and take it as a lesson learned. But what feedback should I leave? The seller offered a refund, but the listing was clearly and intentionally wrong. I'd like to warn future buyers, but as this thread says, a neg is pretty punitive. >>

I would leave FB that reads "Not as described, but seller offered refund + shipping" and leave it at that.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Can a person be both an idiot and a moron?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong coins, been switched out it seems. Not the first year coins. Went south because
    of your pics and description, in my opinion. Are they the gold plated ones?

Hmmmm. ebay blew your feedback rating is all that I see wrong. 25 positives out of 26 sales
    should be just a tad over 96%, not 94%

bob.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    timcointimcoin Posts: 674
    For what it is worth, I would have told the guy to keep those coins and you would also ship the correct coins. It is under $10, after all. I would have apologized to him for the delay, and thank him for understanding your unintentional mistake. As a business owner, I can tell you that it is so much easier, and profitable to just take your losses on minor deals like this one. My company understands 1 out of 80 or so customers (if we are lucky) are going to be extreme problems. Best to get rid of them and move on as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    Good advice everyone - wish I came here first.

That reply was done in anger with no other excuse...I was pissed.

Live and learn!
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I think you can "re-word" your feedback cant you? (where's Russ?) You can always contact the buyer and exercise some good 'ol fashion butt nuzzling and try to get him to change the feedback image
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    to be honest you look bad at the response to the jerks feedback. The guy is a moron and out of 300 your going to get some nut who bids on an item. I d0 think you were way more then fair with the buyer you attempted to resolve the issue.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I blocked the buyer. Thanks for the heads-up.
    It is sad that one chooses to neg a seller rather than seek a resolution.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭
    Unrelated to the feedback issue, I'm wondering if perhaps you want to consider changing your ebay name. For someone selling coins, mass_screw may not particularly instill much confidence in some buyers.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>to be honest you look bad at the response to the jerks feedback. The guy is a moron and out of 300 your going to get some nut who bids on an item. I d0 think you were way more then fair with the buyer you attempted to resolve the issue. >>

it is possible to keep the negotiations up and then do the "revise feedback" route.

but your response is going to make it an uphill, or up-Everest, battle.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Wow, you go from 100% rating to 94.4% over a $3 item, what a joke! I would block that ebayer!image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    What is a Retired River anyway? Thanks, for the heads up.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've discussed situations like this on other boards recently. I sympathize with the OP. This is just one reason of many why we don't list any item or lot that is not expected to bring at least $20. Cheap stuff=cheap buyers=more chance of a problem. Go to ebay's C/PM, Seller Central, FB, or PP boards and you'll see stories like this regularly.

I don't know where or if you can look up the numbers on such things, but I'm willing to bet any amount of money that the preponderance of problem ebay transactions are over low-value deals. Not ALL of them to be sure, but the majority. I don't know why a seller would want to go through the hassle of photographing, listing, and paying fees on an item that is going to gross a couple of bucks or less... and that's assuming you get that much, and don't have a problem with the buyer. Plus you get to hassle with packing and shipping it. If you value your time for anything at all, you are backing up. If we have a bunch of cheap items we want to move, we either blow them out to another dealer or put them up as a lot of sufficient value to make it worthwhile.

At any rate, my time has value and it seems a waste of it listing low value stuff- where I'm not making anything even if all goes well. FWIW.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>Can a person be both an idiot and a moron?

Steve >>

Yes, I have been called that and more.. So, yes they can..image
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can a person be both an idiot and a moron?

Steve >>

Yes, I have been called that and more.. So, yes they can..image >>

-----
    Yeah, but your wife calling you that doesn't count.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    When someone is unhappy with an item worth only $5-10, (you decide the amount) I think it's worth it to give them the money back (no shipping) and tell them to just keep the item. With the cost and trouble of sending it back, write it off and save your feedback. Those people just aren't worth the trouble... usually you can tell by their email they're going to be a problem.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can a person be both an idiot and a moron? >>

No. It's based on I.Q.

Normal 71- above
    Moron 51-70
    Imbecil 26-50
    Idiot 0-25

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    Thanks again everyone! Had I known this wingnut was going to go to this extreme, I would have told him to keep them, and I'd refund him ten fold for the trouble. Anyone here that knows me, knows I don't normally make mistakes such as this. I don't know squat about state quarters as I don't collect them. I picked the set up along with a bunch of other stuff as a lot. I took the picture and stated in the description what was on the holder, that's it.

• Options

<< <i>When someone is unhappy with an item worth only $5-10, (you decide the amount) I think it's worth it to give them the money back (no shipping) and tell them to just keep the item. With the cost and trouble of sending it back, write it off and save your feedback. Those people just aren't worth the trouble... usually you can tell by their email they're going to be a problem. >>

The problem with most of those Ebay buyers described above is that they are rookies and leave knee jerk feedback without contacting the seller to say there was a problem.

They also rarely will make effort go through the Ebay hassle to modify feedback................
  • Options
    Oh, I knew I'd be stuck with it. Part of the reason I got so mad and re-acted immaturally. I wish I had more patience and waited as "RBF" and others had suggested. But, alas I'm human and have a temper. Like my father always told me: "EDUCATION IS EXPENSIVE!"
  • Options
    dac076dac076 Posts: 817

<< <i>

<< <i>When someone is unhappy with an item worth only $5-10, (you decide the amount) I think it's worth it to give them the money back (no shipping) and tell them to just keep the item. With the cost and trouble of sending it back, write it off and save your feedback. Those people just aren't worth the trouble... usually you can tell by their email they're going to be a problem. >>

The problem with most of those Ebay buyers described above is that they are rookies and leave knee jerk feedback without contacting the seller to say there was a problem.

They also rarely will make effort go through the Ebay hassle to modify feedback................ >>

Very true. I think a lot of them think of the feedback system as a quick online survey where they can vent with a few clicks. They don't look at it as someone's reputation, possibly built over years.
  • Options
    It would be nice if Ebay would put negative feedback through their resolution center. That, they would've seen that I was offering the full refund and trying to resolve the problem. I don't think it should be as easy as a few clicks to destroy years of feedback over something so trivial.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You can always contact the buyer and exercise some good 'ol fashion butt nuzzling and try to get him to change the feedback image >>

Good luck with that after calling him an idiot...
  • Options
    Good luck with that after calling him an idiot...

Not even going to try. I'm pretty much done with the situation. There's been some email contact even before the feedback comments from me. He is as stubburn as he is stupid. He thinks I did it on purpose, and I must be doing it to everyone. So, he's right and the whole world of over 400 other Ebayers must be wrong.

What can you do? It was just a matter of time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file